PDA

View Full Version : How Are Sales in the New Areas

thatroger
01-11-2003, 08:05 PM
How has the Xbox been doing in Korea, Singapore, Taiwan, Hong Kong etc. There was plenty of speculation that it would sell well there.

Anybody have any numbers?

Cloud Strife
01-11-2003, 08:07 PM
Haven't really heard. I remember seeing a huge launch party in South Korea. I heard that retailers were reporting strong sales in Singapore and Hong Kong.

Cloud Strife
01-17-2003, 08:27 PM
I had to bring this thread back up. I see that the Playstation 2 has only sold 200,000 systems in South Korea ever since it was launced on 2/22/02. The Xbox is oupacing the Playstation 2 3:1 in South Korea.

I'm not sure if the link is going to work

Click Here (http://www.xengamers.com)

I also say Microsoft has sold over 810,000 Xbox's in the Asia Pacific region yesterday. 300,000 on those Xbox's were from Japan. The others from South Korea, Sinapore, Hong Kong, and Taiwan. Good Job.

shrew king
01-17-2003, 08:52 PM
Nice link Burning, good to hear its doing good over there.

No Fear 23
01-17-2003, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by shrew king
Nice link Buning, good to hear its doing good over there.
yup :)

EHWfedPres
01-17-2003, 08:57 PM
That is good news...especially since so many koreans play video games (pc mostly, but word will spread in time)

Cloud Strife
01-17-2003, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by EHWfedPres
That is good news...especially since so many koreans play video games (pc mostly, but word will spread in time) I know. I hope Xbox continues to sell well there. I also saw EA isn't releasing their PS2 titles in South Korea but there releasing their Xbox games. I guess EA might not hate Xbox after all.

I think South Korea could replace Japan for Xbox.

I also have a link that explains how the Xbox is doing around the world.;)
Click Here for Xbox Sales around the Globe (http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/030116/tech_microsoft_xbox_1.html)

Evil_Dr_Beefy
01-18-2003, 02:11 AM
Burning Ranger, Dude, your the man!!! thanks for the news and the link.....i was thinking, microsoft should get some SNK games online....those guys and gals from korea are just nuts over the King of the fighters series of games....

Cloud Strife
01-18-2003, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Evil_Dr_Beefy
Burning Ranger, Dude, your the man!!! thanks for the news and the link.....i was thinking, microsoft should get some SNK games online....those guys and gals from korea are just nuts over the King of the fighters series of games.... Are you sure. I know that SNK handed over a lot of their franchises to a Korean company. Anyway the kind of games people like in South Korea are games from Blizzard. If Microsoft did acquire some Blizzard exclusives, they wouls be able to sell millions of Xbox's there.

EHWfedPres
01-18-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Burning Ranger
Are you sure. I know that SNK handed over a lot of their franchises to a Korean company. Anyway the kind of games people like in South Korea are games from Blizzard. If Microsoft did acquire some Blizzard exclusives, they wouls be able to sell millions of Xbox's there.

I was just going to bring that up...Star Craft is the biggest game in korea, so im sure Ghost will sell very well over there. :cool:

AlBoogy
01-18-2003, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by EHWfedPres
I was just going to bring that up...Star Craft is the biggest game in korea, so im sure Ghost will sell very well over there. :cool:

Yea it is. I remember seeing a special on TechTV on gaming in South Korea. They play it there all day and night. They even had a tournament there for starcraft. They showed one of the best starcraft players in america walking down the street and people were asking for his autograph. Did anyone else see that episode?

Knight
01-18-2003, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by AlBoogy
Yea it is. I remember seeing a special on TechTV on gaming in South Korea. They play it there all day and night. They even had a tournament there for starcraft. They showed one of the best starcraft players in america walking down the street and people were asking for his autograph. Did anyone else see that episode?

I did & they have 4 channels for Computer/Video games.

When we have only have one.

AlBoogy
01-18-2003, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Knight
I did & they have 4 channels for Computer/Video games.

When we have only have one.

Isn't that ironic? After seeing that report I had a feeling that XBox had a great chance of being successful in that area. Im not absolutely sure of the number but I think it said that about 50% of homes have dsl in Korea. :eek: No wonder XBox is selling at a better rate then PS2. Looks like they did there homework.

Knight
01-18-2003, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by AlBoogy
Isn't that ironic? After seeing that report I had a feeling that XBox had a great chance of being successful in that area. Im not absolutely sure of the number but I think it said that about 50% of homes have dsl in Korea. :eek: No wonder XBox is selling at a better rate then PS2. Looks like they did there homework.

The fact it's not a japanses console helps too.
The SK are still mad at the japanses for WW2.

Cloud Strife
01-18-2003, 07:00 PM
The fact it's not a japanses console helps too.
The SK are still mad at the japanses for WW2. Sony keeps saying the reason why they can't sell more than 200,000 games is because publishers aren't translating the games for the market and their not bringing many games to the Playstation 2 as the fault. Sony is now going to start doing the same marketing strategied Microsoft is using in Japan like the Xbox Cafe.

Knight
01-18-2003, 07:04 PM
Sony keeps saying the reason why they can't sell more than 200,000 games is because publishers aren't translating the games for the market and their not bringing many games to the Playstation 2 as the fault. Sony is now going to start doing the same marketing strategied Microsoft is using in Japan like the Xbox Cafe.

That's not going to help them, Saying Sorry for WW2 maybe would help sales.

Cloud Strife
01-19-2003, 12:12 AM
That's not going to help them, Saying Sorry for WW2 maybe would help sales. Probably.;) I'm wondering how the GC is doing over there.

I also want to know whether Microsoft is going to release Xbox throughout China because Sony just did and Nintendo is about to. I don't think Microsoft should pass up the user base they could pick up.

Knight
01-19-2003, 12:53 PM
Probably.;) I'm wondering how the GC is doing over there.

I think it's a bigger flot then the ps2 in SK.

Cesar902
01-19-2003, 03:19 PM
Xbox will rule PS2 in South Korea, because of Broadband.

Cloud Strife
01-19-2003, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Cesar902
Xbox will rule PS2 in South Korea, because of Broadband. Well see. Sony is releasing the Playstation 2 online adapter in April of this year. They said it would sell the system there. I wonder when Microsoft is releasing Xbox Live there?

Cesar902
01-19-2003, 03:35 PM
I wonder too, when Microsoft is releasing Xbox live on South Korea, but I think it's very soon if it hasn't happen already.

Cloud Strife
01-19-2003, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Cesar902
I wonder too, when Microsoft is releasing Xbox live on South Korea, but I think it's very soon if it hasn't happen already. I don't think Microsoft is going to release live there until summer time. I feel that they should do beta testing right now and release it the same time Sony sells the online adapter.