PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever break the Xbox controller analog stick

SBC31
01-13-2003, 10:27 PM
Just wondering if anyone has ever broken the left analog stick on an Xbox original contoller. Just wondering since many games use the analog stick, thus they get quite the workout.

MerimacHamwich
01-13-2003, 10:35 PM
Nope, had them since launch.

Xbox Owner
01-14-2003, 06:00 AM
Well..once. It wasn't the one that came with my Xbox, though. I accedently left milk on it, and I went to my grandma's for a weekend without talking my Xbox..I didn't think the milk would do anything because I whipped it off. Well..it was really cold in my house when I got home, so I went to play my Xbox and the controller got stttttuck! I mean..the buttons. It didn't break but it's cracked now..I don't use that controller much anymore because it's pretty much broken. A lot of the buttons are screwed up too..:(

Cloud Strife
01-14-2003, 06:47 AM
The only thing I've done is drop my controller a few times. However, the controller doesn't really work. I have to mash the A buttons on both my original controllers just to get them to work. I also have problems with the rumble feature on the controller that came with my system. Sometimes it never stops. I'm starting to question the quality of Xbox controllers because people told me theirs broke very easily. The only one the works well is my new S-Controller.

I know Playstation controllers work fine because I got mad at a friend of mine for beating me at NBA Live 98 so I threw the controller across the room and it popped open a little bit. Still works though. This happened over five years ago.

Insane Jester
01-14-2003, 06:52 AM
not the left but actually the right thumbstick has broken .. well it still works but it doesnt click when u push it down but it still works ..

Dre
01-14-2003, 09:14 AM
Mine still works... but one of my left analogs on a controller has lost all resistance. I think the spring inside might be shot or something. It still functions 100% fine though

Cloud Strife
01-14-2003, 10:25 AM
My controller has has analog problems. It causes me to have trouble playing Outlaw Golf. That is why I can't play it with anyone because the S controller only works for it.

Gotenks7233
01-14-2003, 10:37 AM
:mad:
My little brother sat on my controller and jammed the analog stick into the controller:mad:

EHWfedPres
01-14-2003, 10:44 AM
I've dropped several controllers about 3 feet onto a solid concrete floor a couple times and all my controllers work great. I've had 2 of them since launch and 3 more i got shortly afterwards.

thunder
01-14-2003, 11:13 AM
me and my friend have broken all 4 of his controllers now all the dam analog sticks break there the weakest controller around but the smaller one looks like the can take a bit more use without breaking all the time

EHWfedPres
01-14-2003, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by thunder
me and my friend have broken all 4 of his controllers now all the dam analog sticks break there the weakest controller around but the smaller one looks like the can take a bit more use without breaking all the time

I hope you know that controllers are not meant to be beaten relentlessly...I use my controllers every day, sometimes all of them for system link with friends, and mine work perfectly.

Dre
01-14-2003, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by EHWfedPres

I hope you know that controllers are not meant to be beaten relentlessly...I use my controllers every day, sometimes all of them for system link with friends, and mine work perfectly.

Well said.. I've put my controllers through a helluva lot of game time and they all still work well.

Thunder, breaking 4 controllers? I wonder what the hell you guys were doing... maybe a bit too rough on em? Cuz it ain't normal that you'd break 4...

tWoTOMA
01-14-2003, 11:27 AM
Never broke the sticks, but on two of the original controllers that I got at launch, and which I prefer over the controller s, the a button broke. it still functions, but a spring or something is broke because it gets stuck down many times. i play nfl and nba 2k3 a whole lot, and they use the a button heavily, but thats no excuse. i dont know if the s is better, or if newer original controllers are built better, but i need to do something about it. another problem i had is on my third controller, the vibration is very weak. but i dropped that one on concrete from about 6 feet in the air, so thats understandable.

the good news, the rumbling and one of the bad a buttons can be returned, because Gamesptop will not notice when i switch it with a new one. but one a button is virtually useless, so i'm almost sure that they will notice.

DIGITAL
01-14-2003, 11:38 AM
both of mine broke :(

Shadow20002
01-14-2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by DIGITAL
both of mine broke :(

Whao..Digital ! Are you playing with hardcore action on it ? I have the original control but i change it to get the S-Controller. It's work perfect for me. But something i notice, in some games the sensibility of the buttons is low compare to others. When i played Buffy or Dead or Alive 3, i only need to press the button a little bit to get it enable the move i want to do. In Splinter Cell or Hunter, i need to force a button to get it work.

Cloud Strife
01-14-2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Shadow20002

Whao..Digital ! Are you playing with hardcore action on it ? I have the original control but i change it to get the S-Controller. It's work perfect for me. But something i notice, in some games the sensibility of the buttons is low compare to others. When i played Buffy or Dead or Alive 3, i only need to press the button a little bit to get it enable the move i want to do. In Splinter Cell or Hunter, i need to force a button to get it work. I had the same problems as you with the regular controller. It seemed to work the first few months, then I had to mash the button to get it to work.:(

VeNoMiZA
01-14-2003, 04:32 PM
wtf do you do with them,? throw them out the window when u get mad? i bet you and your friends are the types that beat the crap out of the controller when you lose CUZZ U FRIKKIN SUCK YOU LOSER MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA i never broken mine i jus get this cracking sound when i turn my left analog 360 degrees. i think a roach got in and i smushed it or somthin lol. i dont know what thge hell it is. i think the xbox controller is the strongest controller out there. like i said you must beat you controller with a bat or somthin. :\ unless your dullwitted and slam your forhead into the controller.

Kleen
01-14-2003, 04:54 PM
'S' controller left analog started sticking off center after a week. The same thing eventually happens to SONY Dual Shock controllers. I never had this problem with the Duke, although the buttons became or always were unresponsive.

My brother breaks everything he touches. Literally. Strictly joysticks, he's broken both triggers on multiple DC controllers, shoulder buttons on my old SNES controllers, and the D-pad (yes, the D-pad -- snapped it in two, don't ask me how) on a original PS2 controller.

Chr0nik
01-14-2003, 04:55 PM
I broke two of them, they were both Madcatz controllers though. I replaced both of them with first party MS S Type controllers. No problems since.

Kleen
01-14-2003, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Burning Ranger
I had the same problems as you with the regular controller. It seemed to work the first few months, then I had to mash the button to get it to work.:(

The worst feeling is when you drop back to pass, hit the button for a receiver, and nothing happens. Then you sit there confused and you QB gets sacked.

Cloud Strife
01-14-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Kleen

The worst feeling is when you drop back to pass, hit the button for a receiver, and nothing happens. Then you sit there confused and you QB gets sacked. That use to happen to me in NFL Fever 2002. Made me prett angry. It also happens to me in Mad Dash Racing. I have to jump over several several things in order to avaoid them and my A button won't respond.:(

OUberLord
01-16-2003, 12:19 AM
I have 3 original controllers. Ive carted them all over, used them daily, customized two of them, took them with me on road trips in the trunk, dropped them, pulled the coords, spilt water in one (Unplugged), and used at least one of them nearly every day since November 15th, 2001. I have yet to have one of them have even the slightest drop in performance. However, I take them all apart and clean them about once every couple months, so maybe thats the key.

Stormlord
01-16-2003, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by SBC31
Just wondering if anyone has ever broken the left analog stick on an Xbox original contoller. Just wondering since many games use the analog stick, thus they get quite the workout.

Ha, I broke my left stick. I had to go get a new one. SO I just decided to buy the controller S. It's a dream but I still like the old model as well. :D :D :D :D :D

thunder
01-16-2003, 12:59 PM
how do you take them apart and clean them every week those buttons are impossible to get back in right

Cloud Strife
01-16-2003, 02:41 PM
how do you take them apart and clean them every week those buttons are impossible to get back in right I think you have to peel of the serial number to get to a few screws. It voids the warranty. I can see why Microsoft stopped manufacturing the original controller, they were built cheapy and not meant to last. I'll stick with the S controller.;)

VeNoMiZA
01-16-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Burning Ranger
I think you have to peel of the serial number to get to a few screws. It voids the warranty. I can see why Microsoft stopped manufacturing the original controller, they were built cheapy and not meant to last. I'll stick with the S controller.;)
thats bs right there.. the microsoft controller is made out of some hardass plastic like i said to break one you must have mental probs bbanging yo foehead into the xbox logo :P

OUberLord
01-16-2003, 03:11 PM
yeah all mine are originals, not the S. Theres no sticker covering any of the screws, so its fairly easy to do.

Cloud Strife
01-16-2003, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by VeNoMiZA
thats bs right there.. the microsoft controller is made out of some hardass plastic like i said to break one you must have mental probs bbanging yo foehead into the xbox logo :P Yeah, but you don't want to hot that hard platic against something hard. Just by me placing my original controller on a table, the analog stick screwed up.

OUberLord
01-16-2003, 08:05 PM
then either the controller was defective, or you put the controller on the table with some excessive force ;)

Cloud Strife
01-16-2003, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by OUberLord
then either the controller was defective, or you put the controller on the table with some excessive force ;) It might of been defective. The same thing happened to several of my old friends. One was a Sony fanboy who's parent bought him an Xbox for christmas and he kept complaining the Xbox falls apart too easily unlike Playstation 2. I don't really care if it's broke or not since I refuse to use the regulat controller. The S controller has improved my gaming skills. :)

OUberLord
01-16-2003, 11:33 PM
ive never used the S, but im happy with the original so I guess thats ok :P