PDA

View Full Version : Phantom Crash vs. Mechassault

tennyson
01-14-2003, 10:00 AM
Hi Everyone,

I rented Mechassault a few days ago and was pretty impressed with it (although I thought the control scheme was a little TOO simple, IMO). Anyway, after seeing the trailer for Phantagram's new game, Kingdom Under Fire: Crusaders, I was impressed. I also remember being excited about the release of Duality, also going to be released by Phantagram.

Anyway, I know that thye also make Phantom Crash and I was wondering: for those of you who have played both (Phantom Crash and Mechassault), which do you like better and why? Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Cloud Strife
01-14-2003, 10:23 AM
I'd slighlty give the edge to MechAssault. However Phantom Crash is a good single player and offline multi-player game. The problem is Phantom Crash only has three arenas to fight it. But, the you get to do several upgrades, buy new mech's, and read dialogue in the game while listening to Japanese bavkground music. MechAssault only has 20 missions, not that great of an offline game but good for multi-player and online player. The game plays very well to.

For most, I'd say MechAssault is the better game. For me, I would somewhat prefer Phantom Crash because I like Japanese games big time.;)

EHWfedPres
01-14-2003, 10:48 AM
Lets put it this way...Phantom Crash = very bad. MechAssault = good

Cloud Strife
01-14-2003, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by EHWfedPres
Lets put it this way...Phantom Crash = very bad. MechAssault = good Phantom Crash ain't a bad game. The controls are good and the gameplay is very deep. Plus, the game is Japanese. They never make bad games. I thought Phantom Crash was one of the better Xbox games.

EHWfedPres
01-14-2003, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Burning Ranger
Phantom Crash ain't a bad game. The controls are good and the gameplay is very deep. Plus, the game is Japanese. They never make bad games. I thought Phantom Crash was one of the better Xbox games.

Thats funny...im yet to see a really good Japaneese game...:o

theres only 2 or 3 maps, simplistic gameplay, bland graphics, and little replay value...

Cloud Strife
01-14-2003, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by EHWfedPres

Thats funny...im yet to see a really good Japaneese game...:o

theres only 2 or 3 maps, simplistic gameplay, bland graphics, and little replay value... I'm not too sure about the limited replay value because the game keeps going on forever. I tought it was fun to play despite it being very long. I prefer simplistic gameplay because it makes a game more enjoyable although I like a few complicated games too. Were the graphics really that bad, I thought they were excellent, some of te best I've seen. I think that Japanese people are the best developers. They make better games that I remember longer than U.S. They seem to be much more polished and have better sotry lines. Anyway , try buying every Japanese game on Xbox because I want more Japanese games on Xbox badly. I need a Japanese RPG in the future. Every single one of my best systems had a few, even DC.

I hope I'm not making you upset EHWfedPres by replying to a lot of your post. I have nothing against your opinions. Plus, I paln on doing something with you some day.

EHWfedPres
01-14-2003, 11:20 AM
I'm not too sure about the limited replay value because the game keeps going on forever. I tought it was fun to play despite it being very long. I prefer simplistic gameplay because it makes a game more enjoyable although I like a few complicated games too. Were the graphics really that bad, I thought they were excellent, some of te best I've seen. I think that Japanese people are the best developers. They make better games that I remember longer than U.S. They seem to be much more polished and have better sotry lines. Anyway , try buying every Japanese game on Xbox because I want more Japanese games on Xbox badly. I need a Japanese RPG in the future. Every single one of my best systems had a few, even DC.

I hope I'm not making you upset EHWfedPres by replying to a lot of your post. I have nothing against your opinions. Plus, I paln on doing something with you some day.

No, Im not upset, I enjoy a good discussion. Its just that I do not enjoy Japaneese games...I dont know why...

xboxman_1
01-14-2003, 08:52 PM
Once again, I agree with EHWfedPres, on all accounts.

Cloud Strife
01-14-2003, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by xboxman_1
Once again, I agree with EHWfedPres, on all accounts. Okay.:rolleyes:

HAve you actually played Phantom Crash, it's a great game. MechAssault is great also but it doesn't have much of a single player mode. I don't have Xbox Live yet to play it online.:(

VeNoMiZA
01-14-2003, 09:46 PM
japanese games are the best what the hell you talkin bout???? you ever heard of jojo bizzare adventure? the amercian version had no blood but the japanese version had blood, squaresoft is japanese and they made the best rpg ever FF7, capcom is japanese, konami is japanese, sega, nintendo all of thiose except microsoft that i know of are japanese...... stop your bullshat hating f00. cuzz u being a hipocrite.... if you hate japanese games might as well not play steel batalion, street fighter, and all those games. dont disrespect the japanese industry they make everything for us... so when u say you dont like japanese games u really cant say that cuzz most of the games u [played in ur lil life were japanese decent. :rolleyes:

Cloud Strife
01-14-2003, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by VeNoMiZA
japanese games are the best what the hell you talkin bout???? you ever heard of jojo bizzare adventure? the amercian version had no blood but the japanese version had blood, squaresoft is japanese and they made the best rpg ever FF7, capcom is japanese, konami is japanese, sega, nintendo all of thiose except microsoft that i know of are japanese...... stop your bullshat hating f00. cuzz u being a hipocrite.... if you hate japanese games might as well not play steel batalion, street fighter, and all those games. dont disrespect the japanese industry they make everything for us... so when u say you dont like japanese games u really cant say that cuzz most of the games u [played in ur lil life were japanese decent. :rolleyes: I completely agree with you man.;) They make some of the best games ever. Your right about Final Fantasy VII. I absolutely love that game and I want to play it badly right now. However, my friend is borrwoing it right now. I'm kind of mad at him because he wanted to borrow that game from me and he didn;t play it last week. If he doesn't play it this week, I'm taking it back.;)

VeNoMiZA
01-14-2003, 09:51 PM
*gives burning ranger a high five* yea! hahahaha.:D

Bigwig
01-14-2003, 10:35 PM
I just dont like their TB RPGS. After playing Infinity Engine games on the PC Japanese TB is horible. Give me PSO, True Fantasy, and Shenmue 3, (Skies of Arcadia has a good story but its combat is boring) then after that I just want Euro and American baby. I do agree Phantom Crash is a nice game and its simple controls work for it.

hiter101
01-14-2003, 10:39 PM
i really like japanese games but american rpgs (except for ff series) rock my boat better then japanese games

oh and on a side note i cant stand japenese catoons like DBZ and pokemon they scare me for some reason :D

:)

Evil_Dr_Beefy
01-15-2003, 03:16 AM
hiter101, Dude!!! You shouldn't use such a broad brush about japanese anime..there is so much more than Pokemon and dragon ball Z (a 15 year old anime) check out Berserk and Fist of the northstar......I think that Phatom crash has better mechdesigns than Mechassault...but when it comes to gameplay..mechassault wins hands down.....on a side note not all japanese mech games are better...the biggest dog i have ever played was the japanese version of murakumo!!!! What a disappointment!!! Looks great... plays very bad. My two cents...

P.S it's not a shooter on rails

Cloud Strife
01-15-2003, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by Bigwig
I just dont like their TB RPGS. After playing Infinity Engine games on the PC Japanese TB is horible. Give me PSO, True Fantasy, and Shenmue 3, (Skies of Arcadia has a good story but its combat is boring) then after that I just want Euro and American baby. I do agree Phantom Crash is a nice game and its simple controls work for it. Japanese RPG games are more about the story, not just the combat although it's entertaining. If you want a good RPG game, play a Working Designs game, they are the best publishers in the world. They translated and imporved Lunar, Lunar 2, Albert Odyssey, Shining Wisdom, Dragon Force, Alundra, Vay, etc. The stories of those game far surpasses anything else on the market. Squaresoft's Xenogears was great also.

stilly
01-15-2003, 07:20 AM
back to the real debate, is phantom crash better then mech assualt, well mech assualt is story driven, where as phantom crash ain't, mech assualt lets you choose a mech at the start of a level, and then thats your mech till the end of that level, phantom crash lets you customise your mech from paint job, to what guns are on it's back,to what animal chip you place onboard, but don't think you can add what ever you like, (this is the essence of the game here) you need money to buy items, you get money by winning rumbles, ie shooting as many other sv's, (name for mech) and getting the hell out of the area before you get blasted your self. yes there are only 3 maps(i at first thought only 3 maps, pah, but now couldn't give a hoot), but no ones mentioned they are multi levelled, and huge. and havin 3 means you get to know them well, and know where to lurk waiting for prey. and you either fight at night or day.and never the same one twice in a row. i bought mech assualt, liked it, played it have still to finish it, got a few levels to go,i like the way the mechs explode, the way buildings blow up,but nothin made me want to finish it after a while. as for phantom crash, i bought it with ghost recon, and tony hawks 4,a buy 2 get 3rd free deal, it was my freebie, it was the last game out of the 3 i thought would swallow large amounts of my xbox time, i dunno why, but i can't stop playin it, i skip through the cruddy text (yawns ville), i ain't really into the music (need money for guns), but the game play, and customising your mech have me hooked, i can't fault the graphics, i think they are blinding. just can't stop playin it. i say buy it, your be surprised. mech assualt you play through it, phantom crash you just play it.

Evil_Dr_Beefy
01-15-2003, 02:05 PM
Debate is over, dude....8 out of 10 like mechassault over phantom crash.......xbox live.......end of story, take your books and leave!!!

Cloud Strife
01-15-2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Evil_Dr_Beefy
Debate is over, dude....8 out of 10 like mechassault over phantom crash.......xbox live.......end of story, take your books and leave!!! Yeah right. Phantom Crash is excellent for its single player, something MechAssault doesn't have. If your not playing Live, how good can MechAssault be. Phantom Crash is a great offline game whether you like it or not. I guess Japan still has the edge in making games.

Bigwig
01-15-2003, 04:55 PM
Japanese RPG games are more about the story, not just the combat although it's entertaining. If you want a good RPG game, play a Working Designs game, they are the best publishers in the world. They translated and imporved Lunar, Lunar 2, Albert Odyssey, Shining Wisdom, Dragon Force, Alundra, Vay, etc. The stories of those game far surpasses anything else on the market. Squaresoft's Xenogears was great also.

I know they are more about their stories but the problem with that is compared to American RPGs they have more cliches, they shatter American literary logic, they over exaggerate everything, they often have no fantasy world to base theirs on and have horrible problems with consistency, their characterization emphasis looking cool, and looking good (by Japanese standards) over looking like a real character, they twist American influence ie the thief character in a Japanese RPG is way more one dimensional then an American RPG thief. I could go on and on but sense I have tried a bunch some jump those hurdles and succeed with what I would call a quality story but nothing better then the Infinity Engine, or Golbox games. I even like Morrowinds story better then all but a couple Japanese RPGS because Morrowind uses somthing lost in too many Japanese RPGs and thats just cute clever subtle humorous or ironic monents instead of everything being over exaggerated like in BG 1 if you enter the mines with good and evil party members they will argue about saving the mines all while they are there and might fight each other .