PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft poised to take over the gaming industry!

tWoTOMA
01-14-2003, 12:11 PM
With the acquisition of Rare, we are getting great exclusive liscenses such as Perfect Dark, Conker, and others. And we are also getting the developers that have made these liscences notable.

But it looks like MSFT is looking to acquire at least 4 more developers: Blizzard, Sierra, Capcom, and Midway.

Blizzard would provide licenses like WarCraft, StarCraft, and Diablo. All of those games are well known in PC gaming cirlces, and most of the PC gamers favor Xbox to other consoles.

Sierra's major contribution would be the Liesure Suit Larry licence. One of the most popular cult favorites of all time, Liesure Suit Larry would fit the Xbox's demographic perfectly, and would no doubt be one of the biggest games to debut on the system.

Capcom is an enormous company, and is a notorious Sony supporter. However, if MSFT were to acquire it, we would get great exclusives such as Devil May Cry, Street Fighter, and Resident Evil.

Midway would also attract a large audience to the Xbox with it's licenses. The sports games such as Blitz and Hitz are very popular amongst casual sports fans. Mortal Kombat, which is the most acclaimed fighting game to be released this year, would be huge. Other arcade style games would also carve out a nich with gamers.

If any/all of these buyout rumors are true, Xbox could quickly become the most popular console on the market. But despite all of this promise, one simple move would turn the tides faster than all four of these: MSFT buy out Take 2 Games, makers or GTA, Max Payne, Midnight Club, Smugglers Run, Serious Sam, State of Emergency, Mafia, etc. Too bad they are Sony marks. :(

Cloud Strife
01-14-2003, 04:15 PM
I'd like Microsoft to be number 1 but I don't want a monopoly. If there is a monopoly, Microsoft can charge what they want and bring a new videogame system whenever they want. They could even force people to upgrade their systems each year.

Laxeph
01-14-2003, 04:22 PM
And you got this information where.....
That would be sweet if M$ bought Capcom and Sierra.

Cloud Strife
01-14-2003, 04:25 PM
I want Microsoft to buy Sega, Konami, Namco, Capcom, Game Arts, Treasure, and Hudson Soft. I'd like my Xbox more than anything if that was true.;)

wweomaniac
01-14-2003, 04:59 PM
lol I don't believe it at all. Where the hell did you get this information?

me=nonbeliever.

VenoM
01-14-2003, 05:00 PM
looks more like capcom is siding with nintendo if ya ask me....RE0,RE1(remake),RE4 being exclusive and all them cool looking exclusive capcom games coming out only on nintendo.....looks to me if anybody is buying capcom it will be nintendo

Qbas
01-14-2003, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by VenoM
looks more like capcom is siding with nintendo if ya ask me....RE0,RE1(remake),RE4 being exclusive and all them cool looking exclusive capcom games coming out only on nintendo.....looks to me if anybody is buying capcom it will be nintendo
Well yes that is most likely but i don't think nobody is going to buy Capcom, didn't they state that they will not be for sale?

tacticsman
01-14-2003, 05:42 PM
Where did you hear that infermation because if it was true that would be sweat

J Dub
01-14-2003, 06:33 PM
I don't know if it's a good idea to buy developers. Third-party support is extremely important.

Xbox Owner
01-14-2003, 07:09 PM
nice..:cool:

xboxman_1
01-14-2003, 09:06 PM
I'm doubting any of those buyouts will happen in the near future......or at all.

tWoTOMA
01-15-2003, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by wweomaniac
lol I don't believe it at all. Where the hell did you get this information?

me=nonbeliever.

Nothing's concrete, and to be honest I never claimed to have any insider information or anything. But ever since Xbox came out, I've been hearing stories about MS buying each of these developers at one time or another. They DID buy Rare, so why wouldn't they buy any of these. The one that I have proof of is that they were seriously considering buying out Capcom. I saw/heard it with my two eyes/ears on CNBC about a week ago. The others are just gossip that I've heard or read about.

Stormlord
01-15-2003, 08:33 PM
I wouldn't want MS to buy Capcom because I NEED GAMES FOR PS2 AND GC. Plus Capcom knows that the real money is in multi-platforms. But some companies :cough.EA.cough: won't get it through their heads. :mad: :( :eek: :confused:

Crazy Joe
01-15-2003, 11:52 PM
blizzard and sierra are for sale, along all other parts of the bigger company they belong to, i forget the name, but EA, Sony and Microsoft are all after it, so it will be interesting to see who gets them

OUberLord
01-16-2003, 12:11 AM
Vivendi is the name you were looking for ;)

Stormlord
01-16-2003, 06:40 AM
MS can flash the big bucks to get what they need. :D :D :D :D

Evil_Dr_Beefy
01-16-2003, 07:05 AM
You guys, love to make those Xbox pep rally cheerleader threads don't you?......Listen up , look and listen.....Microsoft can flash as much cash as the want...buy up as many software houses as the need...and still not take over the gaming world....This it's not the PC world, bucko!!! Untill they( microsoft) gets off of their @ss...and focuses on makeing fun games, not ports......not pretty games , with lousy gameplay (wreckless, murakumo).....and fill up on first person shooters... Guys !!! the USA is not the world!!! You must try to apeal to a much broader array of gaming tastes....thru marketing, mass marketing and dare i say it...HYPE!!! Listening to a bunch of yahoos on a forum, and believeing your own press won't get you to the promised land.

Stormlord
01-16-2003, 07:11 AM
Well bucko I didn't say MS was going to monopolize gaming. IF they did then there would be no point because there wouldn't be any competition. No competition means no good stuff being released. But are you implying that MS shouldn't buy a company that's up for grabs? Obviously you haven't heard of capitolism.

:D :D :D :D :cool:

Evil_Dr_Beefy
01-16-2003, 07:16 AM
I heard of it..and in some ways we are a victims of it......

Stormlord
01-16-2003, 07:19 AM
Yes we are, but what can be done about it?...............Absolutely nothing.

Evil_Dr_Beefy
01-16-2003, 07:44 AM
Mmm.....(holds head down)......You're right.....

xboxinstinct
01-16-2003, 01:53 PM
if microsoft were to buy rockstar games we could get gta but it would have to be named differently

Cloud Strife
01-16-2003, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by xboxinstinct
if microsoft were to buy rockstar games we could get gta but it would have to be named differently If they buy Take Two, Microsoft would get the name GTA. However, I'd be angry if Microsoft bought them because I hate them. I refuse to play their games on my systems.

NINE BREAKER
01-17-2003, 02:11 AM
I'd love to see MS buy out Capcom. For one they have awesome fighters. And two, Steel Battalion sequels.

Blizzard would allso be nice. I'd kill for Warcraft on tha 'box.
But who knows, maybe they will, maybe they won't.

It wouldn't really matter though, as long as these third-party companies keep making GOOD games for Xbox. When they start making games for consoles other than the 'box, that's when a buy-out needs to occur.:D

tWoTOMA
01-17-2003, 11:23 AM
Perhaps the title of my thread was misleading, but I didn't mean that MSFT was trying to monopolize the industry; they are simply trying to get an edge on Sony, who basically controlls the iindustry with thier huge user base. I, for one, don't care much for Blizzard, but I would like them to purchase Vivendi because of Sierra. Liesure Suit Larry games are so cool, they would draw a huge user base of older gamers.

As far as Capcom, that would give them instant credibility in Japan, so long as they keep the Capcom name and keep all of the Japanese developers.

Aside from Martal Kombat, I'm not a big Midway fan. But many people love the sports games, and I know I'm not the only die hard MK fan out there either.

All of these rumors would be great if they came true. They all would help MSFT create a niche in the gaming community, namely with the 18-34 demographic. The younger kids can play with thier childish Gamecubes and outdated PS2s. Despite all of this, I think the most important thing MSFT has to accomplish is to release Xbox Next before PS3. Because a lot of people do not read gaming news on the web or in magazines, they might purchase an Xbox Next not knowing that Sony is planning a new console any time soon. Or they would just rather have a next gen system as soon as possible. And the people that use MSFTs product will never go back to another system, like myself. This could be huge.

No Fear 23
01-17-2003, 01:28 PM
well, microsoft is just trying to do nething to beat out sony, even if they have to buy out all those game companies. i think it is good bc i want xbox to rule!!

Cloud Strife
01-17-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by irule23
well, microsoft is just trying to do nething to beat out sony, even if they have to buy out all those game companies. i think it is good bc i want xbox to rule!! I don't know whether Xbox is going to rule like you do Irule23.;)

Anyway, I just want Microsoft to purchase a few Japanese developers who know RPG games, Anime games, and fighting games. It would also be nice to have a developer who could make a Parappa the Rapper style game on Xbox.

LTM360
01-17-2003, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by VenoM

If they were siding with Nintendo, don't you think they would do more for Nintendo besides only RE remakes (excluding RE0)? Sega is siding with Xbox IMO. New JSRF, HOTD3, Online Sega Sports, CT3, and a few others. I think if M$ bought anything it should be Sega, and if they do. We sell Nintendo the license for Super Monkey Ball. 'Cause nobody wants that on Xbox. And then we have Sonic!

Cloud Strife
01-17-2003, 03:21 PM
I want Microsoft to do well but I don't want them to take over. I believe that all major publishers should be left alone. Microsoft even said that they only want smaller developers.;)

Stormlord
01-17-2003, 05:19 PM
Yeah it wouldn't be good to not have games for other systems. It's like WWF/WWE. Vince McMahon bought out all his top competitors and guess what............his brand of wrestling now sucks. Without competition you can put out crap because you can and no one can do anything. Xbox wouldn't be so good if they didn't want to beat the others. And when PS3 is released MS wouldn release a new console to compete with it. It's just the way it's got to be. But I sincerely doubt that Capcom would let anyone buy them out. :D :) :cool: