PDA

View Full Version : Battlefield 1942 Cancled: No longer any reason to support EA...

JimmieDoogan
01-14-2003, 07:39 PM
It's official, Battlefield has been cancled. Gamespot just reported this. So considering that EA has no interest in supporting us Xbox gamers in the way they do with they're horrid ports (as I've always said "EA PORTS.... THEY'RE ****IN LAME" not in the game), there's no reason for us to support them.
Here's a link for those that need it...
http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/news/0,10870,2908782,00.html

I guess that's a clear vote of no confidence from EA in XBL. So there is no reason for any of us to have confidence in them. Besides, all their latest sports titles had little to no changes in them and were hardly different from previous incarnations. Aside from the basketball that is. None of their sports games touch Sega's anyway (well... I can't vouch for football as I don't play it).

Kraft
01-14-2003, 07:50 PM
Wow, EA can EAt me. First no Live support for madden, then NHL was not only a complete rehash of last years game, but no live support for it... seriously, where the hell is the love?

AlBoogy
01-14-2003, 07:52 PM
Sorry buddy but as long as Segas college game blows, I will continue buying NCAA Football 2003.

BTW, 500 POSTS! It took me long enough

canadianboi3
01-14-2003, 08:00 PM
congrats

Sleazy P Martini
01-14-2003, 08:01 PM
d@mn!! d@mn!! d@mn!! This was one of my reasons for getting an Xbox. My PC blows and can't run the game.

JimmieDoogan
01-14-2003, 08:35 PM
I was recently forced to upgrade, so I can now play this game... it's just that I wanted to use my Voice chat (the only reason I wan the Xbox version of SWG over the PC version). And sorry back buddy, but I wouldn't know thing one about college games... nor could I care, but to each his own. Just take note as to how your favorite system is treated by the company you support so willfully. Go ahead and support a company who has no interest in offering you the best possible product but rather a pathetically dumbed down product for an obviously superior system. I see no reason to personally support such a company, but this is America... go with your gut.

LynxFX
01-14-2003, 08:36 PM
Hmmm, EA's top rated game of 2002 gets cancelled for xbox. Why am I not surprised. :mad: :rolleyes: You almost had me back EA with Two Towers, but then you go and do stuff like this.

My avatar stays!

J Dub
01-14-2003, 08:38 PM
Well this is bullchit. :mad:

Screw EA anyways. I'll probably never buy another one of their games. The only good stuff they had were the sports titles, and they even managed to throw that away. Bastids....

xboxman_1
01-14-2003, 08:49 PM
Ya, screw EA. They make crappy ports, are only good at sports games which I don't play, and now they screw the xbox...AGAIN.....they'll never get another dime from me...

Cloud Strife
01-14-2003, 09:12 PM
Well, I only own one EA game and I'm going to keep it that way. The only reason why I have an EA game is because my friend gave me NHL Hockey for Genesis. I use it as a door stop anyway.;)

Stifler
01-14-2003, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Kraft-XBA
Wow, EA can EAt me. First no Live support for madden, then NHL was not only a complete rehash of last years game, but no live support for it... seriously, where the hell is the love?

Here's to Microsoft starting on a Hockey title (Which they are secretly)...

Bigwig
01-14-2003, 10:30 PM
Sega Sports has them in everything excpet NASCAR and maybe football. Live 2003 suXXXXXXXxxxxx

Knight
01-14-2003, 10:44 PM
I wish EA wasn't the one Publishing C&C Generals & Buffy2(when it comes out). I have to have C&C Generals & Buffy2 so I will have to give some money to the jerks at EA.

ShannonX
01-14-2003, 11:39 PM
thats the worst end to a decent day... crap!!! i was really looking forward to this game on the xbox. I'll be putting my xbox dollars elsewhere from now on.

Liquid Gears
01-14-2003, 11:51 PM
Boooooooooooooooooooooo :(

TheCovenant
01-15-2003, 05:00 AM
holy crap.........

i have made posts being skeptical about this game. some horribly wrong control scheme, terrible sound, graphical dumb down, unsolid infrastructure code, bad framerate..............

i was very skeptical about what coul have gone wrong. i guess no matter what they did to the game, it still came out decent, so they scraped it.

the ultimate flaw in the game, it will never arrive.

and for what?

"to put our full efforts into 'Road to Rome' ". :(

how friggin' sad. i hate it. I also just rented medal of honor frontline, the graphics made me throw up. i couldnt stand the game....it is still sitting on top of my xbox waiting to be returned.

this is as sad as the first time i found out that multiplayer for enclave was scraped.

Well, this has taught me the ultimate lesson, a lesson that i should have learned long ago. a lesson that lynxfx has known all too well.

EA SUCKS.

ARONO129
01-15-2003, 06:04 AM
Originally posted by Stifler

Here's to Microsoft starting on a Hockey title (Which they are secretly)...

I hope they are. EA's hockey gets worse every year. We should BOYCOTT EA. I'll send them an email when I get home from work tonight.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Heavens Gate
01-15-2003, 06:37 AM
Fuk them idiots! They can blow me. I supported EA all these years and now this??? I'm taking all the EA games out of my library and giving them away. Anyone who's interested PM me

yall
01-15-2003, 07:34 AM
FUKK EA STRAIGHT IN THE EAR!

CrazyCougar
01-15-2003, 10:48 AM
I'll buy EA titles if they are good. I just got Ty the Tasmanian Tiger recently and its a lot of fun. And I will continue to buy NCAA 2003 Football, until someone can come up with a better game. But I dont think Sega will be able to topple that one. That game is just to damn good. I could really care less most of the time who the developer is if I like the game.

just some guy
01-15-2003, 11:07 AM
EA must be under new management. They are making the worst business decisions I have ever seen. Sure their making some money but if they didn't treat xbox owners like crap they would be rolling in mountains of cash. First they screw up their sports games, basically re-releasing 2002 games but with bugs this time. (maybe not technically but in nhl 2003 to have you player skate over a loose puck and not pick it up is a bug in my opinion, ruined the game for me) Then they port PS2's MOH! You gotta be kidding me.! that game was a huge disappointment. Why the hell couldn't they have ported Allied Assault if they were gonna port a game. What idiot at EA made that decision. And now instead of double sales for the Battlefield 1942 product they cancel it. Thats just retarded. I am completely disappointed. Atleast we have SEGA to fall back on for sports now. So who's gonna make xbox owners happy with a bada** WWII game? anyone?

studepaber
01-15-2003, 11:59 AM
Bah! EA works for the devil and all of their employees are hell-bound. Well at least I have this game for the PC...... :confused:

just some guy
01-15-2003, 01:41 PM
I know i already commented but i really can't believe they did that. And i'm not just saying that because i'm disappointed. I'm a business major and i'm almost graduating. I've had classes where we analyze business decisions in the past to see what works and what doesn't. Last year I did a marketing and product report on the 3 big consoles comparing their products and marketing strategies. And based on how many xbox owners there currently are and how fast it's growing EA has made what I feel is one of the worst business decisions I have ever seen. Everysingle person I have talked to, previews i've read, and posts in forums gave me the impression the virtually every xbox owner was in anticipation for Battlefield. This is quite possibly one of those games that would inspire people to buy xbox's just for it. EA has lost an unbelievable amount of business. This game was better suited, in my opinion, for xbox in the first place. It's stongest attribute is it's online play and I don't think that currently gets any better than xbox live. It's a lot easier to use than regular online play and much smoother. PC users complain that they had to get a joystick because piloting a plane with a mouse is too hard. On xbox it would have been exactely like halo, just as easy to walk around shooting as it is to fly with the same controller. The thumb sticks are very responsive. So i can't believe that they didn't make this for xbox in the first place. But now after releasing it too PC and seeing how successful it was on there and how much it excited xbox owners they decide to cancel. They opt for a $20 dollar expansion pack for PC instead. Now i'm sure that will sell very well but it would pale in comparison to the amount of sales that Battlefield would have made if it had been released on xbox.

I'm sure no one else is really thinking about that aspect but i can't help but notice those things. I mean this is beyond disappointment. In fact I don't really care, it's only a video game and not worth getting bummed out about, theres more important things in life. But in real world business view this is absolutely mind blowing. A big part of business is to be able to logically reason out where the money is and gear the product for that area. For Battlefield 1942 the money was in xbox and EA was to dense and idiotic to realize that.

Spaztic
01-15-2003, 03:46 PM
ONly game I am interested in is FIFA!

Cloud Strife
01-15-2003, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by CrazyCougar-XBA
I'll buy EA titles if they are good. I just got Ty the Tasmanian Tiger recently and its a lot of fun. And I will continue to buy NCAA 2003 Football, until someone can come up with a better game. But I dont think Sega will be able to topple that one. That game is just to damn good. I could really care less most of the time who the developer is if I like the game. I'll agree the TY was a pretty tight game. I didn't like it as much as Blinx, Pac-Man World 2 , or Crash Bandicoot, but it was till good. I'd buy it right now if it had another publishers name like Ubi Soft or Infogrames, even Jaleco.

Koopa
01-15-2003, 05:34 PM
*sigh* so EA continues to support PS2 over Xbox, and now supports PS2's lackluster online program while ignoring the success of Microsoft's. I reallly doubt I'll buy any future EA producuts, not just cuz of this, but because of their poor quality (read: crappy ports). I like them for their PC games though....so I guess I'll get (read:download) some of that stuff...but maybe we should get a letter sent to EA signed by everyone that was going to buy battlefield for xbox.

Stormlord
01-15-2003, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by just some guy
I know i already commented but i really can't believe they did that. And i'm not just saying that because i'm disappointed. I'm a business major and i'm almost graduating. I've had classes where we analyze business decisions in the past to see what works and what doesn't. Last year I did a marketing and product report on the 3 big consoles comparing their products and marketing strategies. And based on how many xbox owners there currently are and how fast it's growing EA has made what I feel is one of the worst business decisions I have ever seen. Everysingle person I have talked to, previews i've read, and posts in forums gave me the impression the virtually every xbox owner was in anticipation for Battlefield. This is quite possibly one of those games that would inspire people to buy xbox's just for it. EA has lost an unbelievable amount of business. This game was better suited, in my opinion, for xbox in the first place. It's stongest attribute is it's online play and I don't think that currently gets any better than xbox live. It's a lot easier to use than regular online play and much smoother. PC users complain that they had to get a joystick because piloting a plane with a mouse is too hard. On xbox it would have been exactely like halo, just as easy to walk around shooting as it is to fly with the same controller. The thumb sticks are very responsive. So i can't believe that they didn't make this for xbox in the first place. But now after releasing it too PC and seeing how successful it was on there and how much it excited xbox owners they decide to cancel. They opt for a $20 dollar expansion pack for PC instead. Now i'm sure that will sell very well but it would pale in comparison to the amount of sales that Battlefield would have made if it had been released on xbox.

I'm sure no one else is really thinking about that aspect but i can't help but notice those things. I mean this is beyond disappointment. In fact I don't really care, it's only a video game and not worth getting bummed out about, theres more important things in life. But in real world business view this is absolutely mind blowing. A big part of business is to be able to logically reason out where the money is and gear the product for that area. For Battlefield 1942 the money was in xbox and EA was to dense and idiotic to realize that.

Very true. Not only would it have helped EA in money but Microsoft as well. Possible X-Box owners would see how much of a great product it is then they'd pay the good cash to play it. Not only does the decision hurt EA, but Microsoft and X-Box as well. I was playing BF1942 and realised how lame the game was (it's great but X-Box version would have been better). There's no real joystick support so that option is out. All you have is the mouse and/or keyboard to fly a plane. You can't really make on onfield strategy because so much action is happening that you can't type orders because you'd be dead by the 4th word. Of course on aiming mouse and keyboard win, but for vehicles it just plain sucks. I guess I have to put up with the hadicap of not having it as an X-Box LIVE! game. Just hope that EA figures out how much of total asses they're making themselves. :mad: :mad: :mad: :confused: :(

l Maximus l
01-15-2003, 05:43 PM
Yes, sad news, indeed. But, is this surprising? Not in the least. The main reason why EA is scrapping anything for XBox Live is because EA wants the control. They don't like how XBox Live is owned and operated by the Microsoft Corporation...they want more control of it and would rather host their games on-line themselves.

It's games like The Sims that have EA's feathers all ruffled. Not because I think it's a good series (in fact, I think The Sims sucks donkey nutz), but, we have to admit it's successful. I believe that this is what EA wants to continue to do...make their games and be completely recognized for doing it all.

I will admit, I was very much looking forward to Battlefield 1942...but now, I can give a rats ass about it.

MerimacHamwich
01-15-2003, 05:45 PM
There was no reason to support EA in the first place.
:)

Stormlord
01-15-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Maximus-XBA
Yes, sad news, indeed. But, is this surprising? Not in the least. The main reason why EA is scrapping anything for XBox Live is because EA wants the control. They don't like how XBox Live is owned and operated by the Microsoft Corporation...they want more control of it and would rather host their games on-line themselves.

It's games like The Sims that have EA's feathers all ruffled. Not because I think it's a good series (in fact, I think The Sims sucks donkey nutz), but, we have to admit it's successful. I believe that this is what EA wants to continue to do...make their games and be completely recognized for doing it all.

I will admit, I was very much looking forward to Battlefield 1942...but now, I can give a rats ass about it.

I agree with you as well. EA wants total control do you know why? Look at Battlefield 1942 and MOH: Allied Assault. They have stopped any support for those games so that you must buy their new add-ons with the fixes for them. They can't have that power over X-Box LIVE. They would have to be forced to release a patch for free. with MOH and BF1942 you're practically paying to get your game fixed. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Cloud Strife
01-15-2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by MerimacHamwich
There was no reason to support EA in the first place.
:) I'm right with you on that. I don't know why I use to buy their games four years ago.

Stormlord
01-15-2003, 06:40 PM
:mad: :mad: :mad: This is just unreal. Then all we need is Black and White to be canceled. Well Fable and BC are being made by the same company that made B&W. Let's hope EA doesn't publish this cause those games will never make it to X-Box. :mad:

MerimacHamwich
01-15-2003, 07:18 PM
Big Blue Box and Lionhead Studios are bringing out Fable and BC. Two Totally different companies than EA.

EA has always been this way. It is also one of the only companies that acts this way. it isn't a sudden surgence of hatred towards the xbox by game companies. It is just EA, expect crap like this to come from them.

EA sucks now and always has sucked.

Stifler
01-15-2003, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by ARONO129
I hope they are. EA's hockey gets worse every year. We should BOYCOTT EA. I'll send them an email when I get home from work tonight.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Rumor has it that some developer is working with Microsoft to have the game ready for the next NHL season. Of couse it will have Live ability. IGN reported a long time ago (last summer) that the title had just started in development, but didn't have any info on it yet.

There's been nothing said on it since. Hopefully, this will have the same story as the new Microsoft Baseball game...they just suddenly announce it.

LynxFX
01-16-2003, 12:41 AM
And let the petitions begin:

EA support Xbox (http://www.petitiononline.com/xboxea/petition.html)

Flood
01-16-2003, 06:06 AM
wow....that really sucks....i was actually excited to see this game come to xbox because i've heard a lot of good things about it...

did EA give a legit reason on why they pulled the project??

Insane Jester
01-16-2003, 06:18 AM
Well if EA bring anything out i want ill buy it .. i wont stop my enjoyment just because they havent brought a game over to the box ..

Qbas
01-16-2003, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by Flood-XBA
wow....that really sucks....i was actually excited to see this game come to xbox because i've heard a lot of good things about it...

did EA give a legit reason on why they pulled the project??
I think they said that they wanted to concetrate on BF1942: Road to Rome fully but that is just crap i think the real reason was that EA couldn't host their game on their own servers.

Stormlord
01-16-2003, 06:50 AM
Like I said, they want you to pay for the updates. MOHAA got no more patches because they "were concentrating" on Spearhead. So rather than release that patch that comes with Spearhead to the public, you have to pay $20 to get the patch. And the community desperately needs that patch. It's the only way to get rid of cheaters and fix some problems. As for BF1942 they've only released 1 patch. And there's still problems with it. Now if you want to fix it you need $20-$30 to buy Road To Rome. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :mad:

LynxFX
01-16-2003, 10:28 AM
Add to the fact that Road to Rome has practically gone gold. EA uses the "we want to concentrate on such and such game" way too much. How many people do they have working there? Two?

Knight
01-16-2003, 12:04 PM
After this BS from EA I'm not buying C&C Generals(maybe used at EB) anymore.

kachingtensor
01-16-2003, 12:16 PM
Yes, it might be better to only buy EA games from the pre-owned section from now on, if available and if you really, really want one. (And try to get the patches for free if possible.)

I think EA is under "new" management -- it's called "Sony". I also believe that other developers and publishers are going to be doing things for XBL that will make EA's potential offerings look like stale crap by comparison.:(

Hopefully this will happen sooner rather than later... certainly by later this year. :)

MerimacHamwich
01-16-2003, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Insane Jester
Well if EA bring anything out i want ill buy it .. i wont stop my enjoyment just because they havent brought a game over to the box ..

That is just the thing, if you think this is the first thing they have done to let down xbox gamers or gamers in general you are sorely mistaken. This has been going on for a long time. Personally I vowed to never buy another EA game (at least new) more than a year ago.

Oh and tensor, all of their offerings already do look like stale crap in comparison with any competition.

J Dub
01-16-2003, 06:57 PM
Microsoft is denying it!

Here's my chat transcript.

Topic: Has Battlefield 1942 really been cancelled?

Patrick: Hello and welcome to Xbox Interactive Pre-Sales Online Chat Support for the U.S., Canada, and Puerto Rico! My name is Patrick.
J Dub: Hello.
Patrick At the moment, we have no information on this at the moment.
J Dub: Gamespot has reported that it is cancelled.
J Dub: http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/news/0,10870,2908782,00.html
Patrick: I'm sorry, while Gamespot is a major site for gamers, it is still unsubstanciated rumor.
J Dub: so it's not official then?
Patrick: Not until it is declared by Microsoft themselves. Beyond this, we have no other information on this at this time.
J Dub: ok thanks
Patrick: You're welcome.
J Dub: You people are so good with your grammer. :)
Patrick: Thanks.
J Dub: lol
Patrick: I hope that you have found our session today helpful.For your convenience and future reference, you will receive by e-mail a detailed transcript of our chat, including all site links. Thank you for using Xbox Interactive Online Support. If you need further assistance, please come back and visit us again.

It's probably still cancelled anyways, but BAH.

Stifler
01-16-2003, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by Lynxfx-XBA
Add to the fact that Road to Rome has practically gone gold. EA uses the "we want to concentrate on such and such game" way too much. How many people do they have working there? Two?

Exactly. As a game comes closer and closer to it's release date, the amount of staff actually working on the game can be 4 while the project started with 150 people.

They just try and bull**** their way through it.

Stormlord
01-17-2003, 07:05 AM
Yeah they try to bs their way out of everything. They didn't give Xbox Allied Assault because they wanted to "concentrate" on making Spearhead for PC Allied Assault. Besides the fact that they wanted to compete with Wolfenstein, they screwed Xboxers with that same statement. I liked Frontline on PS2 but that was it, I liked it on PS2. I didn't want it on XBox or Gamecube. I wanted Allied Assault with Live support. That was another excuse to why we didn't get AA early. They wanted for Xbox's online program to go under way. You know that was a big screw because when they released Frontline on Xbox Xbox Live was up and running and XBox already had like 3-5 LIVE games. I acutally did stop supporting EA because I haven't bought any sports games, haven't gotten any sims. Spearhead would have truelly been a waste of money in my opinion. :D :D :D :D :cool:

Evil_Dr_Beefy
01-17-2003, 11:31 AM
You have to wonder where the fanbase is heading right now...As long as EA gives me some really cool games like LOTR: two towers and 007:nightfire....then i will gladly suport EA!!!..Could someone please tell me why you are bashing EA for not supporting xbox live when the good old boys at microsoft are not supporting the so called xbox gamers with that lousy giveaway for the xbox live kit in japan....2 full games and four demos..one year service free.....Why do you or i have to pay for something that microsoft gives away for free to someone else?! Riddle me that Bucko!!! I guess you have to pick your battles...like game reviews and the so called media bia.....oh here a good one...let's bash a company for not supporting xbox live..........

No Fear 23
01-17-2003, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Evil_Dr_Beefy
You have to wonder where the fanbase is heading right now...As long as EA gives me some really cool games like LOTR: two towers and 007:nightfire....then i will gladly suport EA!!!..Could someone please tell me why you are bashing EA for not supporting xbox live when the good old boys at microsoft are not supporting the so called xbox gamers with that lousy giveaway for the xbox live kit in japan....2 full games and four demos..one year service free.....Why do you or i have to pay for something that microsoft gives away for free to someone else?! Riddle me that Bucko!!! I guess you have to pick your battles...like game reviews and the so called media bia.....oh here a good one...let's bash a company for not supporting xbox live..........

EA sucks, they dont give most of us gamers what we want:mad:

Stormlord
01-17-2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Evil_Dr_Beefy

You got to understand that MS needs to start picking up in sales. They're practically bribing them to buy an Xbox. I mean even the long dead Dreamcast and PSX was once beating the Xbox in sales. Now Gamecube has pulled ahead of Xbox and Game Boy Advance is dominating the PS2. A handle held dominating consoles? So you see why they need that bribe. But yeah I'll admit to being PO'ed when I heard the news about the free games. :D :D :D :D :D

mrmp3
01-17-2003, 05:44 PM
I really don't play EA games on my console. I get Madden after it's been out for a while and a few good games they make once in a blue moon like LOTR: Two Towers or Nightfire. But cancelling this game was really a bad business decision. This title could've easily put them on Xbox gamers goodside (for once) and, as a result, could have potentially boosted their profits immensely. Downloadable add-ons, online play, system link. I've been waiting for another FPS with 16 (or 32) way support since Halo (don't really like UC, plays just like UT pretty much with a bad framerate). I never really approved of pirating games, but for EA, I'm defintely making an exception. So I guess something good came out of all of this. I've decided to get a free copy of BF: 1942 :D . Signing off...

Blackheartt
01-17-2003, 06:44 PM
I am really ****ed about hearing this news, I was very very much anticipating the release of Battlefield on the -Box, I've had it with EA, they've lost my business forever!!! Those little pukes suck!:mad:

RedFox
01-18-2003, 11:06 AM
:( ****, ****, ****!! what the **** are EA Doing, why cant DICE just convert to Xbox so we can play it live!!! ... it dosent matter if it take 1 year to do it just do it!! :eek: Why! Why!! :D

Ninja Scroll
01-18-2003, 11:53 AM
I have never bought an EA game in my life and dont plan to.
Whether it's there tired ass rehashes of Sports titles or other gernes.
They will never make a cent off da Ninja Pimp.
I will never forgive them for being a traitor on Sega and jumping on Sony's nutsack.:mad:

btw, love da sig Lynx!:)

I just could'nt believe you actually considered removing such a masterpiece avator. http://www.xboxaddict.com/forums/images/icons/icon9.gif sniff...

i know what will make me feel better though!!

DIIIIE EA DIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEE, BURN IN ETERNAL HEEEEEEEELLLLLLL!!!

yep, dats da stuff.:D

Cloud Strife
01-18-2003, 12:21 PM
A little Off the Topic about Battlefield 1942 but EA must not hate Xbox too much. Then plan on localizing their games for the South Korean market. EA didn't even do that for Sony or Nintendo there.

# 1 Stunner
01-18-2003, 04:00 PM
oh man fucck ea even thoough i love theyre sportss games though even if theyre not live,owell ill stick wit da ""REALISTIC"" Sega/

Stormlord
01-18-2003, 06:27 PM
EA just has some problem with XBox. So what if MS doesn't have a system in every home. People flock to a certain system when they see what support it has. If they support XBox a little more don't you think it would boost its sales? Thank god we got Ubi Soft on our side. Ubi Soft actually shows some consideration towards Xboxers. :) :D :) :D :)

Knight
01-18-2003, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Burning Ranger
Then plan on localizing their games for the South Korean market. EA didn't even do that for Sony or Nintendo there.

That's because the ps2 & gc are a big flot in SK. There's no money to be made in ps2/gc games in SK.