PDA

View Full Version : Whatever happened to Duke Nukem Forever?

Stormlord
01-15-2003, 05:51 PM
I heard that it was coming to X-Box. I finally got an update about some specs for PC (supposedly will change). They say that you need atleast a Geforce 3 (or something with pixel shaders) and more than a 1 ghz CPU because "they're now slow." If this game sees the day of light and it still does come to the X-Box, do you think XB is up for the graphical challenge? :) :D :cool: ;) :p

wbio
01-15-2003, 06:15 PM
I hope it comes to XBox. I am not sure whether I would get it, but it is a big name game, and I am sure that XBox having that game could convince a lot of people to get an xbox. As for the graphics, I don't know:confused:

JimmieDoogan
01-15-2003, 06:21 PM
It became Duke Nukem Never... They've been talking about this game since 97 and I doubt it's ever coming out... Besides, if it does, it'll look like crap. They're still running the old UNREAL engine. It looked great then, but is guranteed to look like crap now. 3D Realms just don't have no game!!! No Speil!!!

Cloud Strife
01-15-2003, 06:22 PM
I heard it was still in development not too long ago.

Stormlord
01-15-2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by JimmieDoogan
It became Duke Nukem Never... They've been talking about this game since 97 and I doubt it's ever coming out... Besides, if it does, it'll look like crap. They're still running the old UNREAL engine. It looked great then, but is guranteed to look like crap now. 3D Realms just don't have no game!!! No Speil!!!

LOL! :D Yeah I read that it's still under HEAVY development. WTF Halo is younger and already came to X-Box and is coming to PC. Not to mention Halo 2 will be out later this year. Maybe they scrapped it to upgrade to the new Unreal Warfare engine. maybe that's why it's still under Heavy development. But they're pushing my patients. :cool: :) :D :rolleyes:

ALC
01-15-2003, 07:52 PM
its got daikitana-itis. Shame really.. I remember wanting it.

Acid Snow
01-16-2003, 09:56 AM
xbox can take it. 1Ghz isn't far from 733

LynxFX
01-16-2003, 10:31 AM
Well Duke Nukem Taking Forever is still in develope according to 3D realms. They switched graphic engines yet again, to the Unreal 2 engine so it can still look great. They expect to show it at E3. If they don't make this years E3 I think the game will never come out.

I have never heard any information on an Xbox version though.

tacticsman
01-16-2003, 04:34 PM
did you know that splinter cell used the unreal engine. Engine can be modifed to look almost any way the delepors want it to. Any way any game with the words duke+nukemun in it = owend by me.

Stormlord
01-17-2003, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by Lynxfx-XBA
Well Duke Nukem Taking Forever is still in develope according to 3D realms. They switched graphic engines yet again, to the Unreal 2 engine so it can still look great. They expect to show it at E3. If they don't make this years E3 I think the game will never come out.

I have never heard any information on an Xbox version though.

It's on Gamespot.com. It was announced like a year ago. But Gamecube and PS2 will be getting it as well. Gamecube could probably handle most of the eye candy, if not all. But the PS2 would probably need to use the old Unreal Engine or the graphics need some down tuning.

I finally saw the PS2 screens for Splinter Cell. IT looks pretty good but not as good as Xbox. It just shows how much of a pro the dev team is to make a game look good on old hardware. :D :D :D :D :cool:

BCan
01-17-2003, 07:39 AM
Hmmm, seems to be heading into the realms of vapourware.. Sounds eerily like Prey, the supposed Quake killer that had an awesome engine. PC Zone (UK) kept getting news about it, then finally they declared it vapourware...

I think DNF is a DNF too...........!!!

The Informer
01-17-2003, 11:56 PM
Seeing how 3D Realms is working on only two games at the moment (DNF and Max Payne 2). I'm thinking Duke Nukem Forever is getting the most attention.

Evil_Dr_Beefy
01-18-2003, 02:17 AM
Hey, Stormlord....sorry about the bucko line......it's been so long..i almost forgot about duke....great programmers can almost always work around hardware limits. I think it should looke great on the xbox:D

Stormlord
01-18-2003, 02:45 PM
Yeah Duke was a great game and I even have old in game footage of DNF. It actually looked awesome using the old Unreal Engine. But you're right, good programmers can work around hardware limitations. Plus Xbox is still the most powerful console on the block. Let's just hope that if DNF makes it they allow the option to tone down the graphics or effects a bit because we all know what happened to Unreal Championship with Anti-aliasing on. Thankfully they're going to fix that and we can finally enjoy it at around 60-100 fps. AA really does suck the life out of the GPU. :D :D :cool: :D :D

WynnFire
01-18-2003, 02:58 PM
I remember back when the developers of Duke Nukem Forever were using the Quake II enging and said they were switching to the Unreal engine. That p i s s ed me off. They should have stuck with the Q2 engine and released it and they probably would of have a pretty big success on their hands and they could've been working on a new game by now or maybe 2. :mad:

Stormlord
01-18-2003, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by WynnFire
I remember back when the developers of Duke Nukem Forever were using the Quake II enging and said they were switching to the Unreal engine. That p i s s ed me off. They should have stuck with the Q2 engine and released it and they probably would of have a pretty big success on their hands and they could've been working on a new game by now or maybe 2. :mad:

Yeah they should finish what they start. They say they've started to use the Unreal Warfare engine and all but I feel that it will tragically be short lived. As we all know Halo 2 and Doom 3 will be out at the end of the year. They'll probably yet again switch engines. Most likely they'll go for the Doom III engines. :D :D :cool: :D