PDA

View Full Version : Xbox Direct X?

Stormlord
01-15-2003, 09:00 PM
Does anyone know if MS will have the XBOX Direct X be upgraded? Breed and definately DOOM III will require Direct X 9.0 and those games will come to XBox. Don't know anything about it but it would be nice to upgrade our DX to enhance the Xbox's capabilities. :D :D :) :cool:

OUberLord
01-16-2003, 12:15 AM
im not entirely sure if the Xbox even uses any form of DirectX. As for Doom 3 needing DX 9.0, the alpha ran just fine on DX 8.

MerimacHamwich
01-16-2003, 12:37 AM
Actually the xbox was developed while microsoft employeees were trying to think up a gaming alternative for Direct x on PC's. I am certain that the xbox uses some form of a direct x program.

Stormlord
01-16-2003, 06:36 AM
Yeah I read an interview about how the XBox has a special Direct X not available for PC. Supposedly it was to try and stop any PC emulating because you'd have to spend a great deal of time trying to get an Xbox game to work on the PC DX. :D :D :cool: :)

Hugh_Jass
01-16-2003, 08:29 AM
I think I remember reading that the developers actually bundle whatever version of Direct X they want on the game disc. However, the graphics chip in the XBOX isn't capable of DX9.

bbchs_trash
01-16-2003, 08:46 AM
Stormlord- Quit your PC gaming ways... or get off the boards. Everyone of your posts have been about something with computers. It gets annoying its because of people like you that Microsoft refrains from making PC connections.

So quit with all your damned PC crap!

J Dub
01-16-2003, 09:48 AM
bbchs_trash, lay off man. He was just stating a thought about the Xbox's DirectX. Man....

OUberLord
01-16-2003, 12:45 PM
nevermind that, I think Stormlord may be right.

Kraft
01-16-2003, 12:51 PM
Actually, the fact that it uses a form of DirectX is where it got the name XBox from. Not because X is a mysterious letter or any garbage like that. As far as needing directX 9.0... I'm doubting it. Whenever they make a new directX it has to be versitale enough for all software applications. The directX on the box just had to be customized for game, so as of now it is probably pretty advanced for gaming as compared to the windows directX.

smack119
01-16-2003, 01:46 PM
i recall reading somewhere the the xbox was originally called the directx box, but then it was shortened. i could be wrong though and i dont feel like looking it up

Cloud Strife
01-16-2003, 02:27 PM
Xbox don't need upgrades. I refuse to buy PC games because of that. If Xbox did, I'd support another system, like Game Boy Advanced.;)

BCan
01-16-2003, 11:57 PM
There are lucky enough to be cards out now that fully handle the DirectX 8.1 instructions fully anyway...

Realise that not even a Geforce FX fully utilises the 9.1 version of Direct X....
DirectX 9 gives more instructions to the GPU, as more and more of the commands are now able to be performed on the card - ie hardware, which necessitates the version upgrade....

No need to update the XBOX specific DirectX code, since there is no other form of hardware to be used. It is written specifically for that card, and seems to perform quite welll...
Wait until something like PGR2 comes out to see if the XBOX is underpowered in any area.....

Stormlord
01-17-2003, 06:48 AM
What's the PGR2? :D

OUberLord
01-17-2003, 07:15 AM
Project Gotham Racing 2

Stormlord
01-17-2003, 07:19 AM
Cool thanks. I never played the first one but I hear it's one of the best racing games on Xbox. :D :D :cool: :)

JJaX
01-17-2003, 08:19 AM
Say i have DX 8.1 (which i do)

When i upgrade to 9 (is that out) will i notice anything different? IF so what?

Stormlord
01-17-2003, 09:11 AM
Yes 9.0 is out. It's supposed to increase your graphics card's performance. Plus 9 is supposed to have new features in which future games will begin to use to their advantage. :D :D :D
But everyone is talking about how the new graphics cards beat Xbox's Geforce 3, don't know why cause it's way more powerful than a Geforce 3 and a little less powerful than a Geforce 4. But i don't really plan on upgrading cards until Direct X 10

JJaX
01-17-2003, 10:07 AM
Cool...

Ill upgrade my DX today :)

OUberLord
01-17-2003, 08:19 PM
WAIT! The version of 9 out is only a public beta, and if it screws up you either gotta format or fall back to a system restore flag. If your gonna install the DirectX 9 beta be SURE to make a system restore point before you install it!

BCan
01-17-2003, 11:05 PM
BTW - DirectX 9 is really more of an update to allow the newer graphics cards to have more things thrown at them to be handled in hardware, rather than software, therefore eating up CPU time.

For older cards, it won't really make much of a difference at all. I don't think the general core of DirectX is too much faster on 9 than it was with 8.1.

OUberLord, so they official release on the MS site is just a beta? I don't think so!

Stormlord
01-17-2003, 11:08 PM
I don't think it's a beta because Impossible Creatures requires it. It's the first game that I've seen use it.

OUberLord
01-18-2003, 02:32 PM
oh, didnt know they actually released it. I know last time I looked it was just a public beta and not an official release.

JJaX
01-19-2003, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by OUberLord
oh, didnt know they actually released it. I know last time I looked it was just a public beta and not an official release.

You are right lord. I went to MS website and downloaded it. Its a beta public release. Seems to work fine though.

OUberLord
01-20-2003, 12:17 AM
i wonder if i should or not, been pondering doing it all day. Im always uneasy using anything that says preview, demo, or beta :P