PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft in Trouble?

Stormlord
01-17-2003, 09:18 AM
Well we all know that recently console gaming has hurt PC gaming. Don't know if this is related but this morning I was watchin the USA channel and they were talking about stocks. Microsoft and a handle full of other hardware and software computer companies' stocks have dropped. Even Intel has suffered. Well Microsoft is supposedly not considered to be a good investment anymore. Does this really hurt MS? Hopefully this won't blow our chances for the next XBox.

Does anyone else have concerns? :confused: :confused: :eek: :eek: :(

Kraft
01-17-2003, 09:22 AM
Yeah, I'm kinda worried since MS has been teetering on the edge of bankrupcy lately.... Wait, no it hasn't. Bill Gates could fund the entire next xbox out of his own pocket and have plenty of money left over. The dip in tech stocks is because the whole economic market in the US is still in recession. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Knight
01-17-2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Stormlord
Well we all know that recently console gaming has hurt PC gaming. Don't know if this is related but this morning I was watchin the USA channel and they were talking about stocks. Microsoft and a handle full of other hardware and software computer companies' stocks have dropped. Even Intel has suffered. Well Microsoft is supposedly not considered to be a good investment anymore. Does this really hurt MS? Hopefully this won't blow our chances for the next XBox.

Does anyone else have concerns? :confused: :confused: :eek: :eek: :(

Right now all Computer companys are hurt because sales of computers & hardware are down.
Alot of people feel they don't need to spend money on upgrades & new computers before the one they own dies. It's only pc gamers that upgrade every 2 year or less.

CrazyCougar
01-17-2003, 10:09 AM
I am one of those that doesnt upgrade until I have to. If my computer wont handle a PC game then I just wont buy the PC game. Thats about it. When I upgrade its a whole new puter for me not just pieces. But now that its a business write off I may get a new one each year...LOL!

I have stock in Microsoft, Intel and HP. Yes they have fallen a little (not much) but so has most of the fortune 500 companies. Its nothing to worry about, especially if we go to war with Iraq. that'll boost everything.

Evil_Dr_Beefy
01-17-2003, 11:09 AM
This is the best time to upgrade if you ask me....Prices on new computers and parts are at an all time low.....Don't worry, the markets on a down turn right now....Hopefully things should start to look up.......really soon

Hugh_Jass
01-17-2003, 01:42 PM
It sounds like they're doing pretty well to me.

Responding to a heightened appreciation among investors for corporate dividends, Microsoft said Thursday that it would pay an annual dividend for the first time in its history. Following a two-for-one stock split on Jan. 27, which Microsoft also disclosed Thursday, the payout later this quarter will be 8 cents per share. The decision comes just two weeks after President Bush unveiled an economic-stimulus proposal that would eliminate taxes on dividends.

Disclosure of the dividend and stock split coincided with release of financial results for Microsoft's second quarter, ended Dec. 31. The company reported record revenue of $8.5 billion, a 10% increase over the same period a year earlier, and net income of $2.6 billion, an increase of 12%. Microsoft officials attributed the revenue growth primarily to increased sales of its Xbox video-game system, recognition of unearned revenue from multiyear licensing deals in previous quarters, and strong sales of server software. "It's fair to say we gained share in each server category," CFO John Connors said in a conference call with financial analysts.

LINK (http://informationweek.com/story/IWK20030116S0022)

Chaotic
01-17-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Hugh_Jass
It sounds like they're doing pretty well to me.

LINK (http://informationweek.com/story/IWK20030116S0022)

Excally :)

Why do you guys post all this nonense! :rolleyes:

Here is another link!

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/biztech/01/17/pay.microsoft.ap/index.html

Stormlord
01-17-2003, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by CrazyCougar-XBA
I am one of those that doesnt upgrade until I have to. If my computer wont handle a PC game then I just wont buy the PC game. Thats about it. When I upgrade its a whole new puter for me not just pieces. But now that its a business write off I may get a new one each year...LOL!

I have stock in Microsoft, Intel and HP. Yes they have fallen a little (not much) but so has most of the fortune 500 companies. Its nothing to worry about, especially if we go to war with Iraq. that'll boost everything.

Eventually the economy will balance out again but I'm still angry that Bush is willing to get some of us killed to do it. It would suck is another world war happens. It's quite possible. If Iraq gets desperate because of the US invasion, they'll launch their scud missiles and bio weapons at Isreal. If isreal strikes back then they'll use their nukes. They use their nukes and then all Arab nations begin their holy war on isreal. Then isreal can't defend themselves so guess who must step in.....US and our allies. Both world wars were because of everyone getting their allies involved. But it'll probably not happen because the advance technology US has, they'll probably destroy every launch pad in Iraq. After the war the stock market should be back to normal. :) :D

chico
01-17-2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Stormlord
another world war happens. It's quite possible.

Impossible....Bush is just a big mouth. According to Bush's *********, he won't start a war.

Watch the language.
~Kraft-XBA

Stormlord
01-17-2003, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by chico
Impossible....Bush is just a big mouth. According to Bush's *********, he won't start a war.

Watch the language.
~Kraft-XBA

We're on the brink of war. Bush wouldn't send like 300,000 soldiers with machines of war for nothing. It would be wasting money. :D

Xbox Owner
01-17-2003, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Kraft-XBA
Yeah, I'm kinda worried since MS has been teetering on the edge of bankrupcy lately.... Wait, no it hasn't. Bill Gates could fund the entire next xbox out of his own pocket and have plenty of money left over. The dip in tech stocks is because the whole economic market in the US is still in recession. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

haha

And yeah, I wouldn't worry. As much money they're losing on Xbox, they're making just as much with PCs.:)

Cloud Strife
01-17-2003, 05:56 PM
Microsoft isn't worrying me one bit. They have enough money to keep the Xbox going.;) The Xbox is Microsoft's long term strategy and BG loves the system.;)