PDA

View Full Version : Blockbuster pulls xbox off shelves

CrazyCougar
01-17-2003, 11:15 PM
Just wanted to give you guys a heads up that a local Blockbuster in my area pulled the Xbox titles off their shelves. I use this Blockbuster from time to time and asked why...The guy told me that the Xbox game rentals were way down and that did not warrant the space on the shelves. They were selling all the titles used and would no longer being carrying Xbox titles for rental. More PS2 games are now in place of where the xbox games were.

Glad I got 4 other Blockbusters within 20 minutes of my house that still have Xbox games for rent.

Kraft
01-18-2003, 01:16 AM
Stupid blockbuster. I only wish one of mine would do that so I could go get some cheap games! Are blockbuster's independently owned and just license by the blockbuster name? I always thought the big blockbuster headquarters told them what and what not to carry...

AlBoogy
01-18-2003, 01:35 AM
Blockbuster sucks. I remember when I had dc, it was the same exact thing. I used to get into heated arguments with some of the guys working there raggng on dc. Hollywood Video is the best for me.

Evil_Dr_Beefy
01-18-2003, 02:04 AM
NO!!!!! This can't be happening......Now i'm going to have to go to...the other place..to rent my games. (holds head down)...WHY!!, Why.....

Cloud Strife
01-18-2003, 08:44 AM
My Blockbuster game rent out all the time, but they don't have a very good Xbox collection. I'll admit that their Playstation 2 collection, although large, is missing several titles. My BB seems to be making the Xbox collection smaller by the minute. If they were to say Xbox games weren't selling, it's because they got too many copies of Serious Sam, Seablade, and Bruce Lee while they get two copies of Splinter Cell and no Deathrows.

I think that's just false about Xbox games not renting. My local EB says that there Xbox systems sell out all the time. They said Xbox games and systems are the most popular at their store and sell higher than PS2 games.

FuNkY mOnK
01-18-2003, 08:51 AM
What i love the most is that sooner then later everyone will get any movie with the click of a button with their cable provider or dish. HBO already has movies on demand and a lot cheaper then blockbusters and you never have to leave home or the couch for that matter. the movies are not of an abundance yet but in time you'll see a boat load. soon Blockbuster will be yanked from the shelfs.

Cloud Strife
01-18-2003, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by FuNkY mOnK
What i love the most is that sooner then later everyone will get any movie with the click of a button with their cable provider or dish. HBO already has movies on demand and a lot cheaper then blockbusters and you never have to leave home or the couch for that matter. the movies are not of an abundance yet but in time you'll see a boat load. soon Blockbuster will be yanked from the shelfs. LOl. That's pretty funny. I can't wait until that does happen in ways. Blockbuster use to be pretty good a while ago until their competition closed down and now their worse than ever. I remember this one store that rentals, known as Hastings, use to have several good games and their prices were excellent. They were the only place in town that had a great Dreamcast selection. I really miss that place.:(

CrazyCougar
01-18-2003, 09:14 AM
BlockBusters in this area are indepently owned. They just use the corporate name. Kinda like all the McDonalds in our area. There are no corporate stores here. So this is probably not a widespread trend of pulling xbox off the shelves. Like I said the other Blockbusters in my area still rent xbox. I hope it stays that way. I have a Hollywood video down the road to if needed.

FuNkY mOnK
01-18-2003, 09:51 AM
I just called blockbuster and they heard no such in fact my blockbuster says that xbox does very well for them, they do pull xbox off the shelfs to sell at 30% off preplayed but they rent and sell like crazy. Panzer Dragoon Orta has not seen the shelf yet it is constantly being rented and difficult to get. GO SEGA!!!

CrazyCougar
01-18-2003, 09:56 AM
I guess they dont do well at this store. But then again it never made sense why there is 5 Blockbusters within 20 minutes of each other. One of them is bound to go under I would think. Oh well.

WynnFire
01-18-2003, 02:43 PM
What i love the most is that sooner then later everyone will get any movie with the click of a button with their cable provider or dish. HBO already has movies on demand and a lot cheaper then blockbusters and you never have to leave home or the couch for that matter. the movies are not of an abundance yet but in time you'll see a boat load. soon Blockbuster will be yanked from the shelfs.

Hey Funky,

on Direct TV Blockbuster owns a majority of the movie channels that are on there so they are still getting money even if people don't go to the stores. Plus now Blockbuster is going to do what NetFlix is doing. I think the head of Blockbuster wants to put them out of business or hurt them so much that he can buy NetFlix.

FuNkY mOnK
01-18-2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by WynnFire
Hey Funky,

on Direct TV Blockbuster owns a majority of the movie channels that are on there so they are still getting money even if people don't go to the stores. Plus now Blockbuster is going to do what NetFlix is doing. I think the head of Blockbuster wants to put them out of business or hurt them so much that he can buy NetFlix.
I don't think it's Blockbuster but viacon. and Viacon dumped Blockbuster months or years ago knowing that on demand programing was the way to go. and i dont think netflix will be as popular as on demand.

# 1 Stunner
01-18-2003, 03:55 PM
thats why i go to family video:D ;) :p plus they sell popcorn.:p

Premium Xbox
01-18-2003, 04:19 PM
I don't think it's Blockbuster but viacon. and Viacon dumped Blockbuster months or years ago knowing that on demand programing was the way to go.

Umm...Viacom still own's Blockbuster. It's on there site.

Liquid Gears
01-18-2003, 04:26 PM
You can't be serious?! That's rediculous, all Blockbusters aren't doing this are they? :confused:

FuNkY mOnK
01-18-2003, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Premium Xbox
Umm...Viacom still own's Blockbuster. It's on there site.
Ok, don't sue me or anything of a sort. but i'll say years ago i heard Viacom and Blockbuster not seeing eye to eye with what we call On Demand type of viewing. and Viacom wasn't talking about some rinky dink HBO on demand viewing either, they were talking about HUGE NETWORKS WITH MASSIVE DATA BASE OF MOVIES with titles like Bulliit right down to the exorcist. what we're seeing now is what Viacom saw years ago. just wait and see.

EHWfedPres
01-18-2003, 04:36 PM
What a dumbass idea...removing the rentals from the shelves will not make the games get rented any faster...and putting more F-rated PS2 games up will not do much either.:(

Cloud Strife
01-18-2003, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Liquid Gears
You can't be serious?! That's rediculous, all Blockbusters aren't doing this are they? :confused: No, it was just the ones owned by a certain person in an area. Microsoft would never allow them to stop anyway.

ShannonX
01-18-2003, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by WynnFire
Hey Funky,

the owner of netflix already stated that he wouldn't be able to compete with on demand movies that you could instantly get, but i'll stick with netflix and give them my money as they have 2 or 3 times the selection as my nearest blockbuster does. I dont see them hurting anytime soon though.

edit:

thats regarding movies, not games.

darianX
01-18-2003, 05:26 PM
Cougar....is it the one outside of Columbia? That one always seems to have no decent Xbox titles to rent because they're always OUT! Just wondering..

CrazyCougar
01-18-2003, 05:48 PM
No its in Ephrata. I dont frequent this one much anyhow. Maybe the store is getting ready to fold. A-Z Video is almost next door to that BlockBuster so maybe its to much cp,[etition for BB to handle.

Cesar902
01-19-2003, 12:31 AM
that is just wrong, but the blockbuster near my house has expanded the xbox rental section to be as big as the PS2 version!

Cloud Strife
01-19-2003, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Cesar902
that is just wrong, but the blockbuster near my house has expanded the xbox rental section to be as big as the PS2 version! Lucky.:( <y Blockbuster shrinks the collecion while expanding the GC and Playstation 2 collection. My Blockbuster should just get rid of several N64 games because nobody rents them.

ShannonX
01-19-2003, 10:10 AM
hmm, i have a hollywood video pretty close to my place (3 within 3 miles). I think i will go check them out and see what kind of selection they have.

Casper
01-19-2003, 10:21 AM
This is far from happening at my BB because like someone else said, they just expanded the whole XBox section, which is good news in my eyes, and we also got a new GameStop that opened up right near it.... :cool:

Leviathon
01-20-2003, 08:31 AM
My Blockbuster Blows big time as well. The people buying the games don't have clue or they are undermining Xbox compared to the PS2

Hitman101
01-20-2003, 10:34 AM
Hey, guys which is better Blockbuster or Hollywoodvideo ??

ShannonX
01-20-2003, 10:59 AM
probably depends on where you live... some stores seem to be really good (blockbuster) and some seem really crappy, like mine. I would just check both of them out like i plan on doing.

Cloud Strife
01-20-2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Hitman101
Hey, guys which is better Blockbuster or Hollywoodvideo ?? It depends upon where you live. Some areas Blockbuter is better, others Hollywood video. However, none of those places are as good as the videogame rental that use to be in my area. They use to have every DC game while Blockbuster barely had any. I have a Hollywood video in town but it's located a distance away and it's in the most dangerous are of town.