PDA

View Full Version : High Definition

Joes
01-17-2003, 11:19 PM
I just bought an Xbox High-Definition AV Pack. I'm "testing" it on Splinter Cell, but the graphics look the same.
I have an 56" TV, Panasonic, and it supports HDTV...
I went to Settings, and changed my video settings in the Xbox, and still it looks the same. Does anyone know... what I'm doing wrong?

I don't have High Definition reciever or whatever... in my area... would that be the problem....?
Thank You

Brevity
01-18-2003, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by Joes
I just bought an Xbox High-Definition AV Pack. I'm "testing" it on Splinter Cell, but the graphics look the same.
I have an 56" TV, Panasonic, and it supports HDTV...
I went to Settings, and changed my video settings in the Xbox, and still it looks the same. Does anyone know... what I'm doing wrong?

I don't have High Definition reciever or whatever... in my area... would that be the problem....?
Thank You
If you got the stuff turned on in the XB your ok. You do not deed the reciever to get it to work. You might have bad eyes. lol

Razor70
01-18-2003, 01:22 AM
Actually I don't think Splinter Cell is in High Definition video and that might be the reason your not getting it. If you look on the back of the box you will see that the hdtv part is not checked. So I would think this would mean that it does not play in HD. If I am wrong maybe someone else can tell you different.

Joes
01-18-2003, 12:40 PM
I thought that if it was on the back, it supported it... but I guess I was wrong. Anyway, thank you for your help.

speedbuggy76
01-18-2003, 01:06 PM
It has to be checked, I think that's the label on the newer games.

LynxFX
01-18-2003, 04:02 PM
This is where the labels on the back are really starting to get confusing.

In the past the label HDTV simply meant supported 480p and could be either 16x9 or 4x3. This was stupid because all xbox games except three ports supported 480p so it should have been a given.

Then they tried HDTV-480p and HDTV-720p and HDTV-1080i which is the current labeling. But it also is confusing especially HDTV-480p. A game can be 480p which all coming out are except the three I meantioned. (check HD games support link in my sig for details). So the only way that HDTV-480p is checked is if it supports widescreen(16x9) as well. That is stupid because like I said a game can be 480p and be 4x3. Widescreen should be a seperate checkbox. Plus 480p isn't even HD anyway so it just leads to more and more confusion.

So with all of that said. Splinter Cell isn't widescreen, it isn't HD (720p or 1080i) but it is 480p which HDTV's support and is an improvement over standard television.

If you aren't seeing a difference, doublecheck that in the dashboard you have 480p enabled. Is that 56" panny widescreen or fullscreen? Doublecheck the settings on the panny that the cables are in the proper input that supports 480p and that it automatically uses it. I think the pannies do.

If you really want to see what the xbox and your tv can do, rent Dragon's Lair 3D and play the first console game at 1080i true High Definition. The image will blow you away.

Bakeman
01-18-2003, 10:42 PM
wow great info lynfx