PDA

View Full Version : Hdtv

spanky21
11-25-2001, 02:32 PM
I have a Samsung 54 HDTV I bought just for my xbox. I also bought the hdtv pack for my xbox. Can anyone tell me how much more it would help to get a digital decoder box for my tv. Samsung has one for 550$ I Want the best graphics possibe but I don't want to buy it if its not going to help much.

Kamshaft
11-25-2001, 02:43 PM
Dude, if what you mean is a Dolby Digital decoder, it will make a BIG audio difference. But, if you only have two speakers..it sucks...but if you have 5 + a woofer....you're in business. (-:

BlaZeR2
11-25-2001, 03:07 PM
I believe he is talking about a HD digital decoder box, to watch HD broadcasts on his new tv.

But i may be wrong...

BlaZeR2

Frostberg
11-25-2001, 07:34 PM
Oh he is, best bet is to get one made by Samsung, because they made it just for your TV. No point in getting a monster HDTV witholut getting the HDTV converter!

Coll
11-25-2001, 08:34 PM
Went to Sears with one idea in mind-find out what the hype was on the HDTV. Samsung by far had the brillance in color. Speaking to a cable guy (who was salavating with me) said Panasonic had the worst HDTV so far-the chips blew after shortly after usuage- and your choice by far the best.

I'll need to check into the digital decoder-sounds like it would be a "must have" to me.

spanky21
11-25-2001, 09:56 PM
I was talking about the video decoder. Xbox claims it will go to 1920x1240 resolution if you use digital box. Just curious if anyone has one.

Hugh_Jass
11-26-2001, 11:41 AM
It is my understanding that a digital decoder is only used for converting a television signal (satellite or broadcast) into something the HDTV understands. The XBOX would bypass this circuitry if you had it.

It's the difference between an HDTV and a digital TV. It sounds like you have a digital TV (a.k.a., HDTV-ready) and NOT an HDTV.

Either one works the same with XBOX.

SACK
11-29-2001, 09:51 AM
Within this subject I am confused because I have a SAMSUNG TANTUS display that I bought late last year that is HDTV Ready and purchased the HDTV AV Pack to play the games in higher resolutions.

The question:

Does the game have to support the resolutions? Because no matter what res I try to setup the xbox, letterbox or widescreen: Dead or Alive 3 does not display properly. The other games: Halo, NHL Hitz, and AMPED work great.

So I guess so.