PDA

View Full Version : power problem?

jhsu
01-20-2003, 08:39 AM
I leave my XBOX plugged in to the outlet all day....is that ok?

Cloud Strife
01-20-2003, 08:45 AM
Sure, so do I. If you keep it unpluged all day, you'll have to reset the timer over and over again. I leave all my systems pluged in unless their is lightning.

Casper
01-20-2003, 10:37 AM
It's OK, but you should have it going into a surge protector regardless, unless when you do get a power surge, you can be without your Xbox for 2 weeks or so because you have to send it back, and then lost all your game saves....that being said if you even have a warranty, if not, then your screwed.

Zion
01-20-2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by jhsu
I leave my XBOX plugged in to the outlet all day....is that ok?

Yes, it's designed for that in fact. But like Casper said..get a good surge protector..and not the cheap $19 junk. Get a good one.

I have mine on a UPS..I can continue gaming after the power goes out :cool:

Cloud Strife
01-20-2003, 11:11 AM
I have my Xbox on an extension chord. My power has gone out a few times, but not when I'm playing Xbox. I try not to play my Xbox during a dangerous strom because there is a high risk of the power going out. Plus, I heard of system breaking because of that.

I'd buy a surge protector but I don't believe in buying anything that's not videogame related.

smack119
01-20-2003, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Burning Ranger
I'd buy a surge protector but I don't believe in buying anything that's not videogame related.

that would be videogame related when your system gets fried in a storm.....

Cloud Strife
01-20-2003, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by smack119
that would be videogame related when your system gets fried in a storm..... I just meant that it wasn't a videogame. However, I don't think the power will ever go out while I play a videogame system ever. Goes to knock on wood.:D

GrggThGrmmRpr
01-20-2003, 05:47 PM
wouldn't ure fuse box take care of the power surge? thats why they are built into houses unless ure house got struck by lightning that would be bad....my friend's brother had that happen and all the lights he had on exploded lol

ARONO129
01-20-2003, 07:46 PM
I think that the cheaper power surge bars work if the rating on the box is good?

OUberLord
01-21-2003, 01:50 AM
cheap ones are only made to protect your equipment from smaller surges sent from the power company. If lightning stikes your screwed, its going to arc right through it and fry most anything. As for the fuzebox/circuit breaker thing, the lines have to be overloaded for the fuse to melt or the breaker to trip, which means you can have up to a second of overload going through the circuits and into anything attached.

Either way, if you have anything costlier than maybe a radio plugged into a cheapo surge protector your asking for it. Personally I use a APC Back-UPS system.

BCan
01-21-2003, 05:39 AM
Fuse boxes are no good if they use fuses. Circuit Breakers are the better alternative, they will turn off in a very short period of time, under the time it takes for your heart to beat.

A fuse, or circuit breaker are only set off IF the AMPS are out of whack too much. Amps are usually out of whack when extra power is fed into the loop, ie lightning strike, and it grounds/earths.

Since the electricity we use it Watts, it is Volts X Amps. So, if we have a drop in Volts, we have a rise in amps to keep it the same wattage. Most of these changes are small, and well inside expected limits.
When a lightning strike occurs, it falls well outside the limits that any electrical equipment will accept and will naturally fry most things on it. Not even most fuse boxes will stop this in time, unless circuit breakers are installed.

BTW OUberLord - U don't have a APC Back-UPS that was recalled do you?!!!!

OUberLord
01-21-2003, 11:29 AM
Didnt even know some were recalled. Thanks for letting me know, ill look into it.

Edit: Holy crap, yep its a defective model. Thanks for pointing that out man, supposedly its a fire hazard. Again, thanks.

BCan
01-22-2003, 04:15 AM
Can't have you missing out on playing XBOX coz your UPS is up in flames!!

Insane Jester
01-22-2003, 07:08 AM
yes its safe. even without a surge protector but like they say "best to be safe than sorry"..

bbchs_trash
01-22-2003, 08:44 AM
Lord... LOL. All saying how your UPS whatever majaiger was all great. Would rather have my Xbox gone than my whole house up in flames. LOL... that makes my laugh...