PDA

View Full Version : Speak English?

Mega Gamer
01-20-2003, 07:13 PM
In the new DOAX installment do the girls speak english in the game? In DOA 3 they didnt and that ****ed me off.:)

Cloud Strife
01-20-2003, 07:28 PM
Yes they do. That is why Dennis Rodman was called in to do voice overs for Zack.;) I have no idea whose doing the voices for the women.

Mega Gamer
01-20-2003, 07:46 PM
Thanks!! Thats good news.:) :)

Dyslexic Chaos
01-21-2003, 09:54 AM
The women in DOA3 talked at all, I didn't notice, they were jumpin' around to much. I guess you could say that I kinda get distracted easily. ;)

NINE BREAKER
01-23-2003, 02:09 AM
Actually, no. They don't speak English only Zack (Dennis Rodman) speaks English. The females lines are spoken in Japanese and subtitled in English. You can change Zack to Jap. but can't change the females.

I just got this game today and it is pretty good. I'll just say, the graphics kick @SS!!

Casper
01-23-2003, 06:19 AM
http://www.xboxaddict.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31406

Unfortunately, there's subtitles in this one...again, except for Zach, who's a dam pimp in this game. :cool:

Insane Jester
01-23-2003, 07:48 AM
Damn there oily hides. Oh well i dont think most people will be botherd about what they are saying anyway hehe.

Cloud Strife
01-23-2003, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by NINE BREAKER
Actually, no. They don't speak English only Zack (Dennis Rodman) speaks English. The females lines are spoken in Japanese and subtitled in English. You can change Zack to Jap. but can't change the females.

I just got this game today and it is pretty good. I'll just say, the graphics kick @SS!! I thought I heard Tecmo state several times there would be voiceovers.:confused: I'm glad because I didn't want them anyway. However, I am glad one of my old favorite basketball playa is doing y favorite DOA character's voice.:D

bbchs_trash
01-23-2003, 09:48 AM
yeah Burning is a big Japanese wannabe... right you Japanese ranger you... too and yao ming wasnt doing the voice overs for Zach... at least then you could have some Asian pride in there... Chinese or not...

Cloud Strife
01-23-2003, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by bbchs_trash
yeah Burning is a big Japanese wannabe... right you Japanese ranger you... too and yao ming wasnt doing the voice overs for Zach... at least then you could have some Asian pride in there... Chinese or not... Actually, Dennis Rodman was my favorite playa at one time when he played for my Bulls. That was before I became obsessed with the asian culture. I happen to like Yao Ming although he doesn't play for my Bulls. I do respect Chinese, Koreans, Japanese, etc. very well. My favorite college professor was Korean.

I just like games where the voices are in Japanese a lot. I even know some Japanese myself.;)

y2kash_14
01-23-2003, 10:51 PM
it's a good thing there is no English dubbing... dubbing is the dumbest thing to do in a game from Asia. It just sounds stupid, subtitles are always way better...be it videogames, Asian movies or Anime

CrazyCougar
01-27-2003, 09:58 AM
Why dont they just do the dang game in English..LOL! I hate listening to the japanese laguage in a video game and reading subtitles. It just irritates me. If the game is released in Japan then let the game speak Japanese, if its released in the US then let the game speak English. Simple as that. Subtitles ruin a game in my opinion.

RudedogX
01-27-2003, 10:09 AM
I couldn't agree more! I hate having a game in the US where very few actually speak Japanese, speaking nothing but japanese! Come on people, get with it. And for those that would rather have the japanese speech, just have the developers put an option in there for you all.:rolleyes:

mmattai
02-06-2003, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by y2kash_14
it's a good thing there is no English dubbing... dubbing is the dumbest thing to do in a game from Asia. It just sounds stupid, subtitles are always way better...be it videogames, Asian movies or Anime

I agree with you 100% I have the Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon DVD and I have never watched it in English dub. I would have seriously considered not buying this game if they used white girls to do the voices.

Originally posted by CrazyCougar-XBA
Why dont they just do the dang game in English..LOL! I hate listening to the japanese laguage in a video game and reading subtitles. It just irritates me. If the game is released in Japan then let the game speak Japanese, if its released in the US then let the game speak English. Simple as that. Subtitles ruin a game in my opinion.

Because his head hurts when he has to read.

Originally posted by rudedogX
I couldn't agree more! I hate having a game in the US where very few actually speak Japanese, speaking nothing but japanese! Come on people, get with it. And for those that would rather have the japanese speech, just have the developers put an option in there for you all.:rolleyes:

"you all." Reminds me of the redneck town I grew-up in. Population 3000 white people, 4 brown people. This game was made for the hardcore fans. The ones that wanted the Japanese voices. You deal with it.

RudedogX
02-06-2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by mmattai

"you all." Reminds me of the redneck town I grew-up in. Population 3000 white people, 4 brown people. This game was made for the hardcore fans. The ones that wanted the Japanese voices. You deal with it.
Um...actually what you would be thinking of is "ya'll".

Before you go around making generalizations, get a little history about individuals. I have lived in so many areas of the country except for the south! I stated in there that if you want that option, then make that an option for those that enjoy the japanese language to have it remain the japanese language. However, if you are going to distribute the game to a market place, you should still take into account that market's main language!

This is a fundamental neccesity for many businesses. You tailor your product to appeal to your customers at large. This means that if you are going to sell your product to portuguese speaking individuals, you are going to want to make it so that your product's customers can relate via having the same language (portuguese). This is just a small example so as to not to say, it does not matter to me if they speak japanese in japan, or russian in Russia, however any smart business still knows that you need to have the product relate to it's customer. In the end, I suppose the video game and anime products out there are one of the few exceptions, since there will always be a small niche out there that will love them in their original format.

DZNUTZ
02-06-2003, 11:37 AM
damn you rude.
you know being logical is just gonna confuse these kids.

RudedogX
02-06-2003, 11:38 AM
Sorry man, building this website has gotten me thinking business sensible.:confused:

DZNUTZ
02-06-2003, 11:41 AM
yea...but subtitles Roxorz and OOOOWnzzz joo n00b!!!

CrazyCougar
02-06-2003, 01:24 PM
Subtitles and Japanese speaking games are just plain UGGGG!!!!!!! Won't ever see one in my library of games thats for sure.

Kraft
02-06-2003, 02:14 PM
I'll tolerate it from DOA games.... for the sake of the gameplay of course... (you know, both of them).

SlightlySycho
02-06-2003, 09:07 PM
In my opinion, it's a bit of give and take . . .

To begin, I thought Dennis Rodman was much better as Zack than Bin Shimida. Shimida's voice is just a bit too high pitched and goofie. Rodman gives Zack that extra style he ought to have.

However, this being said, I prefer most of the girl's voices the way they are: Japanese. Ideally, I'd most like it if the characters spoke their native tongue, but I don't think it makes much of a difference. With Ayane, Kasumi, and Hitomi it's academic; they are Japanese (or half-Japanese, in Hitomi's case), so it'd only make sense that they speak it. With Lei Fang it's a matter of talent; the actress who plays her nails her voice perfectly, and it'd be unthinkable to change it. Helena and Christie make better arguements for English dubs, but let's be frank, people. Can you imagine how godawful Helena and Christie's fake accents could be? I shudder to think.

But, this does not come without it's sore points: Lisa and Tina.
I actually cringe when I hear Tina's voice. First of all, it just makes her sound older than she's supposed to be. But more importantly, I just don't think a Japanese actress can do Tina's English phrases justice. She simply can't do a proper "Yahoo!" I really wouldn't mind if in following DOA games, Lisa had an English dub.
Actually, with Lisa, my gripe isn't really her voice, which fits her personality well IMHO. What gets me is her mannerisms, which are distinctly Japanese. Americans don't clasp their hands together when they apologize . . . and I don't think anybody under forty gets that "V for Victory" thing. But, obviously, my complaint here is more in the way she acts than in the way she sounds.

Personally, if they did do decide to do English dubs for upcoming DOA games, I'd hope they'd let you choose which characters get which dubs. I'd hate to have to deal with crappy voices on either side of the coin.
[Thinks of Kasumi with a valley-girl accent; Shudders:confused: ]