PDA

View Full Version : Tomonobu Itagaki hints at new games beyond Ninja Gaiden and DOA: Code Cronus

Hitman101
01-20-2003, 09:18 PM
Best known for his work on the Dead or Alive series, Tecmo producer Tomonobu Itagaki recently put the finishing touches on his latest polygonal display of flesh, Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball. More importantly however, Itagaki-san has been diligently working on the latest installments in the Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive franchises as well. To update us on his progress, discuss the year ahead, and hint at plans to explore the sports genre, Itagaki-san recently sat down with Dorimag for the following interview.

Question: What are your thoughts on the past year, 2002?

Itagaki-san: It was a pleasant year. Dead or Alive Xtreme provided me the opportunity to return to game design for the first time in about seven years. Until recently I've been involved in production, but this project was much more hands on. I think it turned out great. [smiles..]

Question: You're currently working on three projects simultaneously?

Itagaki-san: Yes, Team Ninja has been divided between three projects including Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive: Code Cronus. Both games are coming along quite well and are at the playable stage.

Question: What can players expect in May at E3 2003?

Itagaki-san: I'm really looking forward to the show, we plan to drop a major bomb there. [smiles..] We plan to continue supporting the Xbox and show people what its capable of producing -- we're going to do our best.

Question: Although new hardware was introduced in 2002, sales were disappointing overall. Thoughts?

Itagaki-san: Speaking as a software developer, I'm not that interested in sales figures for consoles. [smiles..] I think each platform should have its respective base of fans so everybody can just enjoy the software. We haven't changed our mind on Xbox. It's a very powerful and flexible platform to develop games on.

Question: What are Team Ninja's plans for 2003?

Itagaki-san: Since Dead or Alive Xtreme was delayed, we're looking forward to its release. I'm sorry it was delayed but I wanted to have the highest quality game available for the players. Likewise, we're planning to release Ninja Gaiden and Dead or Alive Code Cronus as soon as we feel comfortable with the quality level. Aside from those projects, I'm also interested in developing a new fighting game, another sports game, and perhaps an action game as well. I'm looking forward to exploring new genres.

Question: Any final message for our readers?

Itagaki-san: I hope players enjoy the latest games from Team Ninja, especially DOA Xtreme. Its finally finished and I think it turned out great! [smiles..]

Link (http://forums.xengamers.com/showthread.php?threadid=67512)

Cloud Strife
01-20-2003, 09:23 PM
That was a really great read. I really like TI a lot. It seems as though he's only going to support Xbox for now. I was hearing a while ago that he was interested in making a new Tecmo Bowl game. I hope for an action game, he makes it star a DOA character and make him carry weapons.;)

Knight
01-20-2003, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Hitman101

Question: What can players expect in May at E3 2003?

Itagaki-san: I'm really looking forward to the show, we plan to drop a major bomb there. [smiles..] We plan to continue supporting the Xbox and show people what its capable of producing -- we're going to do our best.

Question: What are Team Ninja's plans for 2003?

Aside from those projects, I'm also interested in developing a new fighting game, another sports game, and perhaps an action game as well. I'm looking forward to exploring new genres.

Could it be DOA4 showned at E3 Or will it be some thing new?

AlBoogy
01-20-2003, 11:14 PM
Come ooooooon Tecmo Super Bowl!

Demon-X
01-20-2003, 11:18 PM
heh you stole my topic from Team Xbox forum lol

Hitman101
01-21-2003, 01:44 PM
Sorry about that it was a good thread of info.:D

shrew king
01-21-2003, 05:50 PM
DOA: Code Cronus? This is the first I have heard about it, is it just DOA4 or what?

MerimacHamwich
01-21-2003, 05:59 PM
Pff, Tecmo.

Cloud Strife
01-21-2003, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by shrew king
DOA: Code Cronus? This is the first I have heard about it, is it just DOA4 or what? I just heard that it was going to contain everything that all Dead or Alive's had and even more. It might be DOA4 but I'm not sure.

Team Ninja and Tecmo rule.:)

tWoTOMA
01-21-2003, 08:38 PM
I hope the bombshell he's going to drop at e3 is Tecmo Bowl. It's my favorite game of all time, and I play it daily with an emulator and I'm going to puchase an NES strictly to play this masterpiece. Although I'm a diehard 2K3 fan, if Tecmo makes a decent game of Super Bowl, I'll happily convert.

In my opinion, they should make it arcade-like, because I don't think it can compete with the sims like 2K3 and Madden. A fast paced game, with limited plays and next to no physics, just like the good old days. :)