PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Warns Xbox Pirates

Qbas
01-21-2003, 12:19 AM
Microsoft has reportedly begun cracking down on Xbox software piracy in several Asian territories. Specifically, Microsoft's director of Xbox operations in Taiwan, Chow Wen-ying, issued a warning to hackers that Microsoft is currently gathering evidence of all illegal activites in the region and plans to aggressively pursue pirates. The warnings comes approximately one month after the Xbox console was released in Taiwan, and amid speculation that hackers have already cracked several methods of encyption used for Xbox software. Thereby, hackers are said to be working on new modchips which will allow Xbox owners to load original and copied software and DVD's from other geographic regions.

Despite Sony and Nintendo's plans to release the PlayStation 2 and GameCube in mainland China within the next several years, Microsoft reportedly has no such plans for the Xbox. According to Microsoft director Chow Wen-ying, rampant software piracy in the country precludes the company from considering such a release.

XenGamers (http://forums.xengamers.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=67510)

Spaztic
01-21-2003, 12:23 PM
This is some old ass news! Xbox has been hacked over half a year now!

Cloud Strife
01-21-2003, 01:28 PM
Actually, more news just came up about it the other day. Those new regions Microsoft released the system in is very high in pirates. I'm glad to see Microsoft trying to stop it because I'm against piracy.

Hitman101
01-21-2003, 02:04 PM
Wow, Microsoft is cracking down on piracy already. Hacking must be a big time hobby over there.

Snoopy7548
01-21-2003, 03:02 PM
how are they gonna find the pirates? they dont know if people mod their xbox (unless they sign on xbl, even then, there are some ways to get by it, i think).

Qbas
01-21-2003, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Snoopy7548
how are they gonna find the pirates? they dont know if people mod their xbox (unless they sign on xbl, even then, there are some ways to get by it, i think).
Or are trying to find a way how to do it anyway.

Evil_Dr_Beefy
01-21-2003, 03:44 PM
Qbas, thanks for the info.....Mmm....There is no way in hell microsoft is going to stop piracy over there.....taiwan is one of the top media pirate countries in the world...Microsoft is going to have an uphill fight when it comes to stoping piracy.....Fight the good fight. microsoft!!!

Cloud Strife
01-21-2003, 04:18 PM
At least the Xbox was able to build up a user base in those area's. I remember seeing that the Xbox has sold 810,000 systems in Asia. If less than 300,000 came from Japan, then the rest had to come from Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and New Zeland.

Qbas
01-21-2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Burning Ranger
At least the Xbox was able to build up a user base in those area's. I remember seeing that the Xbox has sold 810,000 systems in Asia. If less than 300,000 came from Japan, then the rest had to come from Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and New Zeland.
How many do you think are going to be modded or tried to hack?

Cloud Strife
01-21-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Qbas
How many do you think are going to be modded or tried to hack? Not sure, but pubishers that are in those area's ane about to give XBox more support. Like EA for instance. Plus, Microsoft has just about passed Sony in South Korea. The Xbox needs another market to replace Japan.

ShannonX
01-22-2003, 12:28 AM
microsoft can say they will fight piracy, but if they take one piracy group down, another will pop up faster than you can say "what the hell?" Over there, if you greese the right palms, you get the officials to look the other way if you know what i mean. Over in that area, i've read that piracy of software is about 80%, if not higher.

Once prices come down to an acceptable level, i believe the rate of piracy will decrease accordingly.

Insane Jester
01-22-2003, 07:15 AM
they will NEVER be able to stop piracy unless they drop the price of the games ... if the biggest faction of a country (there goverment) carnt stop drugs and other illegal things happening how can microsoft stop piracy ..

and piracy has been on xbox since almost day one and yes u can get on xbox live with a modded xbox and pirated games ...

xboxman_1
01-23-2003, 08:42 PM
the rest had to come from Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and New Zeland.

Sorry to be trivial, but New Zealand is not part of Asia.

BCan
01-24-2003, 06:50 AM
Sorry to be trivial as well, but Australia is also part of these figures too.... (We have more people in either Sydney or Melbourne than all of New Zealand)

It is actually MS's definition of their Asia-Pacific Region..... Not just Asia.

xboxman_1
01-24-2003, 03:42 PM
Sorry to be trivial as well, but Australia is also part of these figures too.... (We have more people in either Sydney or Melbourne than all of New Zealand) It is actually MS's definition of their Asia-Pacific Region..... Not just Asia.

Ahhh...I see.

Leviathon
01-29-2003, 08:45 AM
Two of my friends just installed new Mod Chips for both of there xboxes. Listen to what this thing can do.

1. Supports up to a 150 gig hard drive. That's right, back up your hard drive to you computer, Replace the old one with a new one. The xboxes that my friends have was a western digital standard hard drive. Easily replaced with a much bigger hardrive.

2. Mod Chip comes with its own operating system. When you boot the thing up it displays a wallpaper/skin (which you can download new skins and then download it to the xbox). This new OS give you the opportunity to customize it along with being able to go to the Xbox OS.

3. Region free DVD!!!! Yes, region free DVD Player will play any DVD from anywhere in the world, and you don't need the remote. Controls are accessed via the standard controllers.

4. Emulators Emulators Emulators!!!! Everything from Atari, to Arcade Classics, to nintendo, Sega, Super Nintendo, N64 as well and Dream Cast is being developed as well. Mario Cart on the xbox, yes.... Everything and including N64. PS2 might even be possible since the XBox is superior in technology.

5. Emulator developers use 5.1 Surround as well. Frogger in 5.1 baby.

6. Easily installed as well. Only nine wires to connect. You have to have a steady hand when you solder. Took my friend 40 minutes to do his and 25 min. to do the other xbox. The longest part is downloading everything to the xbox.

7. Hard drive has 4 gigs left, and the xbox still tells you that you have over 50,000 slots left...

9. Put in a bigger Harddrive, then you can download any game you want to the hard drive and keep it there.

Qbas
01-29-2003, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Leviathon
Two of my friends just installed new Mod Chips for both of there xboxes. Listen to what this thing can do.

1. Supports up to a 150 gig hard drive. That's right, back up your hard drive to you computer, Replace the old one with a new one. The xboxes that my friends have was a western digital standard hard drive. Easily replaced with a much bigger hardrive.

2. Mod Chip comes with its own operating system. When you boot the thing up it displays a wallpaper/skin (which you can download new skins and then download it to the xbox). This new OS give you the opportunity to customize it along with being able to go to the Xbox OS.

3. Region free DVD!!!! Yes, region free DVD Player will play any DVD from anywhere in the world, and you don't need the remote. Controls are accessed via the standard controllers.

4. Emulators Emulators Emulators!!!! Everything from Atari, to Arcade Classics, to nintendo, Sega, Super Nintendo, N64 as well and Dream Cast is being developed as well. Mario Cart on the xbox, yes.... Everything and including N64. PS2 might even be possible since the XBox is superior in technology.

5. Emulator developers use 5.1 Surround as well. Frogger in 5.1 baby.

6. Easily installed as well. Only nine wires to connect. You have to have a steady hand when you solder. Took my friend 40 minutes to do his and 25 min. to do the other xbox. The longest part is downloading everything to the xbox.

7. Hard drive has 4 gigs left, and the xbox still tells you that you have over 50,000 slots left...

9. Put in a bigger Harddrive, then you can download any game you want to the hard drive and keep it there.
Can you tell me is it true that with certain Mod chip you can install your games on the hard-drive and play them?

Snoopy7548
01-29-2003, 05:05 PM
yea. you can.