PDA

View Full Version : Question for DVD playback kit owners

Shadowhawk
11-25-2001, 09:34 PM
Hello all,

Picked up my XBox on Friday Nov. 23rd and haven't stopped playing it much all weekend. :D I got Halo and Project Gotham Racing as my first 2 titles, and am using s-video and digital audio from the advanced AV pack.

So far I'm satisfied with the console, but I like others hope to see more and better games soon. I'm also disappointed that I have to use custom XBox peripherals - why couldn't M$ stick with regular USB instead of the voltage hopped-up version they went with? That way I could be enjoying PGR with my Logitech Formula Force steering wheel right now!

Oh well, enough with the gripes and on to the question, specifically for owners of the DVD playback kit:

Can the XBox play VCD/SVCD/XVCD titles that are burned on either CDR or CDRW? I archive a lot of recorded programming and my own camcorder home movies using these formats. It would be a real shame if I can't play them back on the XBox when equipped with the DVD playback kit. Admittedly my Pioneer DVD player in the home theater can do it for me now, but it would be a KUDO for me if the XBox could act as a backup player.

I know there has been some concern over the ability of the XBox to read CDR/CDRW music CDs (and a real disappointment that it didn't read MP3 CDs). I however have had no problems with getting it to recognize my own CD mixes burned on CDR or CDRW. As others have pointed out, just make sure it's in standard audio format with the normal 2 second pregap between each track.

Any feedback on the VCD/SVCD/XVCD issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!