PDA

View Full Version : The new console Phantom a hoax?

Qbas
01-22-2003, 11:49 AM
This article is from a staff member of GamerFeed

I ran a few numbers here, and yeah...I think it's fake.

Let me start off by saying I'm tired of being "had" with some of this internet news. Two weeks ago I was "had" when I reported the fake organization, Mothers Against Violent Video Games. Now after running a few numbers I can say in good faith, The Phantom is a hoax.

It started off by me attempting to reach their PR contacts. I e-mailed the company first, and the address was invalid. I decided to call, but got an odd recording, that was not only un-professional, but sounded fake.

So I ran Infinium Labs (Phantom's so called creators) Domain Information....Here is what I got

Organization:
Steve Foster
Steve Foster
5380 Gulf of Mexico Drive
Longboat Key, FL 34228
US
Phone: (877) 482-9585
Fax..: (877) 482-9585
Email: info@infiniumlabs.com

Registrar Name....: Register.com
Registrar Whois...: whois.register.com
Registrar Homepage: http://www.register.com

Domain Name: INFINIUMLABS.COM

Created on..............: Tue, Nov 19, 2002
Expires on..............: Wed, Nov 19, 2003
Record last updated on..: Tue, Jan 21, 2003

Administrative Contact:
Steve Foster
Steve Foster
Longboat Key, FL 34228
US

Technical Contact:
Steve Foster
Steve Foster
Longboat Key, FL 34228
US

Zone Contact:
Steve Foster
Steve Foster
Longboat Key, FL 34228
US

Unless Mr Steve Foster is a One Man Show, I'll reserve my judgment on this company.

Source: GamerFeed (http://www.gamerfeed.com/index2.php?story=1029)

tWoTOMA
01-22-2003, 11:53 AM
what groundbreaking news!!!!!!

are you serious? why bother checking all of that. i dont think anyone took the announcement seriously.

Kraft
01-22-2003, 11:54 AM
Eh, I don't know about hoax, it might just be a guy who thinks he has a really good idea and happens to have a wad of cash from funding or what not. What I do think is this will end up being a big piece of vaporware after this guy gets no support at all.

LynxFX
01-22-2003, 12:05 PM
Anyone can build a "Phantom" right now since it is just a pc with a graphics card capable of tv-out. It isn't hard to do.

It is funny how fast news like this travels and builds on the internet.

Highlite23
01-22-2003, 12:07 PM
Only time will tell........

But you better have 3 things if your thinking about bringing in a new console..........

Some unbelievable backing by developers

Aton of cash.....I'm talking Bill Gates kinda cash

&

A jumbo set of coconuts;)

GOOD LUCK PHANTOM:)

Dirty DeStrO
01-22-2003, 12:29 PM
It is funny that you said that because that is the first thing that came to my mind w hen I read those posts and those articles. I visited the website and realy doesn't have that much content to it. Thanks for the update and keep the information coming.

Snoopy7548
01-22-2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Qbas

Let me start off by saying I'm tired of being "had" with some of this internet news. Two weeks ago I was "had" when I reported the fake organization, Mothers Against Violent Video Games. Now after running a few numbers I can say in good faith, The Phantom is a hoax.

It started off by me attempting to reach their PR contacts. I e-mailed the company first, and the address was invalid. I decided to call, but got an odd recording, that was not only un-professional, but sounded fake.

So I ran Infinium Labs (Phantom's so called creators) Domain Information....Here is what I got

Organization:
Steve Foster
Steve Foster
Longboat Key, FL 34228
US

Administrative Contact:
Steve Foster
Steve Foster
Longboat Key, FL 34228
US

Technical Contact:
Steve Foster
Steve Foster
Longboat Key, FL 34228
US

Zone Contact:
Steve Foster
Steve Foster
Longboat Key, FL 34228
US

Unless Mr Steve Foster is a One Man Show, I'll reserve my judgment on this company.

yo did u check that on like the norton secuiry check website? becuase ive done that a few times, even to myself, and the name is like the person who owns the isp or whatever. like on mine, it has a different name than what my name is, and it says where the ISP offices are located.

EHWfedPres
01-22-2003, 02:14 PM
well if its not a hoax, it will surely be a flop, big time. why would anyone buy a pc if they already have one? :rolleyes:

Hitman101
01-22-2003, 02:23 PM
(IMO) I really think its a hoax, but we'll se what happens.:D

EHWfedPres
01-22-2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Hitman101
(IMO) I really think its a hoax, but we'll se what happens.:D

I really think so also, how could they calibrate the controller to play every single pc game?

Cloud Strife
01-22-2003, 04:28 PM
As of right now I'm a little skeptical. But I would love to have this system in my bedroom. My goal is to buy as many videogame systems as possible to make everyone jealous.;)

LynxFX
01-22-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Burning Ranger
As of right now I'm a little skeptical. But I would love to have this syetm in my bedroom. My goal is to buy as many videogame systems as possible to make everyone jealous.;)
Whatever floats your boat. ;)

VeNoMiZA
01-22-2003, 05:22 PM
edited.....

Insane Jester
01-22-2003, 05:30 PM
didnt like the look of it anyway hehe

Yannie Boy
01-22-2003, 05:36 PM
to me...any system that has a name like that failed and is going to fail......take the jaguar....where is it now??????????

just picture it....youll never see a system called the diamond......it's just a failer waiting to happen....just like the phantom.......

Cloud Strife
01-22-2003, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by VeNoMiZA
dude suck my conc you concieted *******... my respect for you dropped to zero..... now i know why you dont have any freinds saying stuff like that.. you think that makes u look cool and shat? Dude, can you take a joke, that's what I was doing. I never tried to make anyone jealous of me. It's me that's jealous of everyone else. Most people here have Xbox Live and more games than me and it makes me feel jealous. Even you have more games than me.:mad: That's not the reason I don't have any many friends in my area. They brag about their Porsche, Mercedes, Ferrari, BMW, etc. to me all the time.

Originally posted by Chupacabra
to me...any system that has a name like that failed and is going to fail......take the jaguar....where is it now??????????

just picture it....youll never see a system called the diamond......it's just a failer waiting to happen....just like the phantom....... What's the problem with a Jaguar? I own one of those also. I'd buy a Virtual Boy and CDi id I could find one.

Anyway, like I said it before, don't judge the system til it's released. I've learned about that several times. I thought the N64 and PS2 was going to be the greatest things in the world and they weren't. Nobody will know how the Phantim will do until it's released and on the shelves.

VeNoMiZA
01-22-2003, 05:53 PM
Dude, can you take a joke, that's what I was doing. I never tried to make anyone jealous of me. It's me that's jealous of everyone else. Most people here have Xbox Live and more games than me and it makes me feel jealous. Even you have more games than me.:mad: That's not the reason I don't have any many friends in my area. They brag about their Porsche, Mercedes, Ferrari, BMW, etc. to me all the time.
What's the problem with a Jaguar? I own one of those also. I'd buy a Virtual Boy and CDi id I could find one.

Anyway, like I said it before, don't judge the system til it's released. I've learned about that several times. I thought the N64 and PS2 was going to be the greatest things in the world and they weren't. Nobody will know how the Phantim will do until it's released and on the shelves. oh ok man im jus in a bad mood today guess my day went wrong no offence sorry bout that..

Yannie Boy
01-22-2003, 05:59 PM
Dude, can you take a joke, that's what I was doing. I never tried to make anyone jealous of me. It's me that's jealous of everyone else. Most people here have Xbox Live and more games than me and it makes me feel jealous. Even you have more games than me.:mad: That's not the reason I don't have any many friends in my area. They brag about their Porsche, Mercedes, Ferrari, BMW, etc. to me all the time.
What's the problem with a Jaguar? I own one of those also. I'd buy a Virtual Boy and CDi id I could find one.

Anyway, like I said it before, don't judge the system til it's released. I've learned about that several times. I thought the N64 and PS2 was going to be the greatest things in the world and they weren't. Nobody will know how the Phantim will do until it's released and on the shelves.

tru tru:)

Xeon
01-22-2003, 06:46 PM
I live in Tampa and that is NOT our area code for the phone number, it is (813) I dont know about longboat key, maybe it is different there.

tWoTOMA
01-23-2003, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Xeon
I live in Tampa and that is NOT our area code for the phone number, it is (813) I dont know about longboat key, maybe it is different there.

I'm not sure what the area code is in Longboat, but I do know that anyone that lives there has to have serious $$. I have a few relatives that live on the key, and they are very well off. If this "console" ever really comes out, it's probably just some rich guy with a ton of money to waste. My guess is it'll never see the light of day.

wweomaniac
01-23-2003, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by tWoTOMA
I'm not sure what the area code is in Longboat, but I do know that anyone that lives there has to have serious $$. I have a few relatives that live on the key, and they are very well off. If this "console" ever really comes out, it's probably just some rich guy with a ton of money to waste. My guess is it'll never see the light of day. hey twotoma.. never noticed this but we have a lot of similar lieks/dislikes on xbox. Noticing from yorus ig, I'd have to agree with you on just aboot everything but Madden and SSX which arent' bad titles at all.

nice to see someone thinks like me ;)

kachingtensor
01-24-2003, 11:38 AM
Got this from a poster at Xboxactive, that that mailing address is a Mail Boxes Etc. store (on Longboat Key).

I am thinking this is definitely a hoax, and a poorly constructed one, too.

877 is one of the newer toll-free area codes. Someone might want to check and see if the phone number in question here (and there seems to be only one) has been legitimately obtained.

herbalchild
01-24-2003, 02:45 PM
this system will never come out, its a hoax...for 1 nobody has ever heard of "infinium labs" even if the system was actually being created it would never come out no company would support it and neither would gamers. from the specs i read that system would be hacked so crazily and would break many copywright laws and they would get sued and die. it will never happen!

Snoopy7548
01-24-2003, 04:38 PM
how would infinium labs "get sued and die"? wouldnt they sue the pirates?

Liquid Gears
01-24-2003, 08:55 PM
Yeah it's true guys. I just saw a dude on TV talkin' about this Phantom system and the GBA SP. From what I saw on TV it (Phantom) looks pretty stupid. We'll just have to wait and see what games it has before we actually judge it.

The GBA SP looked amazing though! I'm pickin' up one of those.

Cloud Strife
01-24-2003, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by Liquid Gears
Yeah it's true guys. I just saw a dude on TV talkin' about this Phantom system and the GBA SP. From what I saw on TV it (Phantom) looks pretty stupid. We'll just have to wait and see what games it has before we actually judge it.

The GBA SP looked amazing though! I'm pickin' up one of those. That's kind of why I don't rush to buy new videogame systems very quickly. j/k, I wish I saw the Phantom system. I plan on buying the GBA SP also this year. I only plan to buy a max of 2 Xbox games til June so I'll have room for one.;)

Frostberg
01-24-2003, 09:14 PM
Yeah...if people are being dumb about buying an Xbox from one of the largest companies in the world, they arent going to buy a "phantom" from some guy...

shrew king
01-24-2003, 09:22 PM
As of right now I'm a little skeptical. But I would love to have this system in my bedroom. My goal is to buy as many videogame systems as possible to make everyone jealous.;)

Yeah I know I get impressed when I see someone who devotes that much money just for envy :rolleyes:

A lot of what you say is BS man.

Anyway, anyone think calling it "Phantom" was more than a coincidence?

Here is the definition:

Something apparently seen, heard, or sensed, but having no physical reality; a ghost or an apparition

Sounds kind of like our console, does it not?

ARONO129
01-24-2003, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Qbas

Organization:
Steve Foster
Steve Foster
Longboat Key, FL 34228
US

Administrative Contact:
Steve Foster
Steve Foster
Longboat Key, FL 34228
US

Technical Contact:
Steve Foster
Steve Foster
Longboat Key, FL 34228
US

Zone Contact:
Steve Foster
Steve Foster
Longboat Key, FL 34228
US

Was Mother's Against Violent Video Games website a hoax?

y2kash_14
01-25-2003, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by ARONO129
Was Mother's Against Violent Video Games website a hoax? i don't think so, i saw it on Inside Edition and CNN

wbio
01-26-2003, 11:44 AM
I think that it is a hoax, but we'll see.

TheCovenant
01-26-2003, 01:20 PM
i dont see what someone would gain by making such an elaborate hoax.

there has to be some weird truth to it, especially since they got all the major videogame websites to believe it's real, just stupid.

if it is a hoax, it's stupid and not funny.

if it is real, it's stupid, and worthless. something that plays pc games on your TV?!?! wow, thats.....umm.....already been done. the website is flashy though, but it has absolutely no content. and as for infinium labs, according to them, its a new company.

i still think it's bound to share the fate of the indrema (if you don't know what that is, dont ask, its a long stupid story).