PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Bought Blizzard??

wweomaniac
01-23-2003, 11:13 AM
EDIT:
Sources:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/r/?page=http://www.computerandvideogames.com/news/news_story.php(que)id=85976
http://www.ve3d.com/Comments.aspx?ID=2217&contenttype=1

If insider speculation is to be believed, Microsoft has bought US publisher Vivendi, with an announcement to that effect due soon. Take a deep breath and reflect on the implications of that, if true.

Half-Life 2, WarCraft, StarCraft, Diablo, Counter-Strike, Crash, Spyro, Lord of the Rings... Vivendi has an enormous portfolio boasting some of the biggest titles on all formats, and it would be an ultra-smart move on Microsoft's part to snap them up. Such a buyout, of course, would come at a terrifically high price, making the 365 million acquisition of Rare look like peanuts. But if anyone has the necessary funds, it's Microsoft.

Rumours regarding potential buyout targets for Microsoft are nothing new, of course, and have been spreading for months, with the likes of Sega and Capcom both mentioned in dispatches. However, talk of the Microsoft/Vivendi deal seems far more serious, with one insider suggesting the buyout could be confirmed as early as Friday.

Furthermore, an email from Universal was accidentally sent out to developers last week stating that all work on GBA titles should be suspended. The email was promptly recalled and branded an error, but could it be that this was in some way tied in with this alleged deal?

A Microsoft spokesperson would only state: "This is a rumour and we do not comment on rumours."

If the rumours prove true, this will be a huge boost for Microsoft's soaring Xbox console, providing it with a broad spectrum of big-name games that would either appear as Xbox lead or as Xbox exclusives outright.

RudedogX
01-23-2003, 12:27 PM
Hmm...Either people are ignoring this as just another rumor, or people just don't care about vivendi. I personally don't know, it could be good if it's true, but I'll definetly be snoozin' till something concrete is announced.

Insane Jester
01-23-2003, 12:27 PM
There trying to take over the world .. Run for the hills .

wweomaniac
01-23-2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Insane Jester
There trying to take over the world .. Run for the hills . Sooner or later, they'll be buying your local barber shops!!!!!!!

Hitman101
01-23-2003, 02:16 PM
No Microsoft did not buy Blizzard.:rolleyes:

wweomaniac
01-23-2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Hitman101
No Microsoft did not buy Blizzard.:rolleyes: check out this link from a somewhat trusted source.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/news/news_story_main.php?id=85976

this website is pretty big in terms of providing all the news on all three consoles.

RudedogX
01-23-2003, 02:34 PM
I have to sign up to see that, can you tell us what it says?

wweomaniac
01-23-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by rudedogX
I have to sign up to see that, can you tell us what it says? tells exactly what it says on my first post.

You have to sign up? I didn't have to sign up... oh well.

Insane Jester
01-23-2003, 04:23 PM
wweomaniac
Sooner or later, they'll be buying your local barber shops!!!!!!!

With the state of my hair i think they may have already ...:rolleyes:

mitchrules1
01-23-2003, 04:28 PM
I hope they did. and start making diablo/WC/half life and otherr great games of rthe xbox

Hitman101
01-23-2003, 04:32 PM
Wow !!! Maybe they did :eek: this willl be great for my sweet Xbox.:D

wweomaniac
01-23-2003, 05:57 PM
I'm in 75% belief of this.

I never believed the Capcom rumors... and they were spread way more than this one.
I sort of believed the Sega rumors, because IGN was the first to mention it, but not as much as this one.
I don't think the nintendo rumor is ever going to happen.

TheCovenant
01-23-2003, 06:05 PM
whoa.

vivendi universal, huh?

well. they are a publisher, so that doesnt mean we would get exclusivity, probably only ports.IMO.

and as for two sites already saying the same thing, this one may actually be believable..........

NINE BREAKER
01-23-2003, 10:26 PM
I hope this is true, I'd kill for Warcraft on the xbox.
But only time will tell.........

LTM360
01-24-2003, 05:36 PM
Why is Microsoft buying Vivendi/Blizzard? Rareware was a decent buy, but if they are serious about taking over the video game industry, why wouldn't you go with much bigger names? Capcom anyone? Sega, Squaresoft, Enix, (Xbox needs serious RPGs lets be honest, Morrowind has the most boring fight sequence in video game history) Midway, or Rockstar (whom I do not like anymore)? I am for M$ buying out all the video game industries because it would make sure exclusives goto Xbox, and the other systems die, which means only 1 console to buy! Seriously though, I never like Vivendi/Blizzard alot, get Sega, or Capcom someone with more than 2 good games.

Shadow20002
01-24-2003, 05:45 PM
If Microsoft acquire this one....what i can say about is they have just build a bridge to transfer the coolest games to the X. ;) Anyone Diablo 3 ?

wweomaniac
01-24-2003, 06:38 PM
ack. I hate Diablo 3. There are way too many nerds playing that game. Some dude killed himself last week in hong Kong for playing the game for 8123423 hours long and having no sleep the entire week before basically.

geez.

Stormlord
01-24-2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by wweomaniac
ack. I hate Diablo 3. There are way too many nerds playing that game. Some dude killed himself last week in hong Kong for playing the game for 8123423 hours long and having no sleep the entire week before basically.

geez.

I think you mean Diablo 2. Diablo 3 isn't even in development, atleast I think. :D :D :D :D :D

wweomaniac
01-24-2003, 09:45 PM
I actually meant, I hate diablo in general.

Diablo II hasn't even been announced yet. Could be a while till it gets announced too, seeing as its been a gazillion years since star craft came otu and there are no signs of SC2.

shrew king
01-24-2003, 09:49 PM
Why would they buy Vivendi? I like their games but they aren't exactly the best games for consoles. I'd rather see them buy some well known console developers.

CharlieHustle
01-24-2003, 10:10 PM
Actually, if you goto gamepro.com, they also announce this rumor. It will be good news if they do buy them, thats more dev's under their belt. MS is just not buyin anyone here before they spend that much doe they are goin to sleep on it, believe me.

wweomaniac
01-24-2003, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by shrew king
Why would they buy Vivendi? I like their games but they aren't exactly the best games for consoles. I'd rather see them buy some well known console developers. ::points to Half Life 2 and Star Craft Ghost::

Starcraft ghost could be like the next Halo in terms of how MS screws over PS2. Remember how Halo was meant to go on PS2, and then in March 2000, MS bought Bungie. Boy... everyone was amazed for 3 e3's at how wicked Halo looked, and then snatched by microsft!

Stormlord
01-24-2003, 11:05 PM
Are you talking about a console version of Diablo II? Cause Diablo II is already out on PC and it has the Lord of Destruction expansion pack. And dude where did they ever mention Halo for PS2? I never heard of that all I knew was that it was coming to PC but then MS bought Bungie and put it on Xbox. If it's true that Halo was coming to PS2 it would have been interesting to see on how they'd pull it off on PS2 hardware. :) :) :D :D :D

Chandlz
01-27-2003, 12:42 AM
I know someone that works for Vivendi. From what I hear the company is having financial problems. Blizzard is controlled by Vivendi. So it could be probably that Microsoft bought Vivendi, because hell, someone needed to.