PDA

View Full Version : using xbox to play dvd's

tonyworc
01-23-2003, 08:59 PM
Im using xbox to play back dvd's.... when playing back dvd's the T.V. screen color goes in and out (like dark and the light)
does anybody else have this problem...

Hitman101
01-23-2003, 09:08 PM
Well its not the xbox I know that. Check if all your wires are tightly connected.

LynxFX
01-23-2003, 09:18 PM
It sounds like you have the xbox connected to your vcr. The fading in and out is a side affect of Macrovision which is copy protection for dvd's.

To bypass it you either need to connect the xbox directly to your tv, or purchase an RF-Modulator from Radioshack. $30.

Xbox --> RF-Modulator --> VCR --> TV

wweomaniac
01-23-2003, 09:19 PM
i know that there is protection on DVDs so when you try and record them onto VHS, they will record from colour to B&w to colour to b&w.

Maybe the protection is taking over the DVD itself :confused: :eek:

probably not.. i have no idea whats wrong. I'd suggest checking the wiring.

wweomaniac
01-23-2003, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Lynxfx-XBA
It sounds like you have the xbox connected to your vcr. The fading in and out is a side affect of Macrovision which is copy protection for dvd's.

To bypass it you either need to connect the xbox directly to your tv, or purchase an RF-Modulator from Radioshack. $30.

Xbox --> RF-Modulator --> VCR --> TV i so beat you with my post! :mad:
well i was on the right track at least.

tonyworc
01-23-2003, 09:22 PM
i do have it connect to the vcr.. should i try to connect to tv directly

Originally posted by Lynxfx-XBA

Xbox --> RF-Modulator --> VCR --> TV

xboxman_1
01-23-2003, 09:25 PM
ya, also, try geting a real DVD player. (LOL, as opposed to xbox, a "fake one") i find the xbox is very low quality for DVD's.

Kraft
01-23-2003, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by xboxman_1
ya, also, try geting a real DVD player. (LOL, as opposed to xbox, a "fake one") i find the xbox is very low quality for DVD's.

You really aren't going to notice much of a difference between the xbox playback and a "real" dvd player unless you have a pretty expensive TV. The difference between running my xbox dvd through s-video and my dvd player through component is negligable. The only thing I could think of that a normal dvd player could have to make it seroiusly better than the xbox is progressive scan, if your tv is even compatible.

I'd try to hook directly through the tv. Hopefully you at least have AV inputs available...

Cloud Strife
01-23-2003, 09:38 PM
No, I only use my Xbox as a console. I choose to by a DVD player to play my DVD's. I wonder how the quality is on the Xbox DVD. I know the Playstation 2 has a good quality one. If I do buy the DVD remote for my Xbox, it brings the amount of DVD players in my bedroom to four.;)

xboxman_1
01-23-2003, 09:40 PM
You really aren't going to notice much of a difference between the xbox playback and a "real" dvd player unless you have a pretty expensive TV. The difference between running my xbox dvd through s-video and my dvd player through component is negligable. The only thing I could think of that a normal dvd player could have to make it seroiusly better than the xbox is progressive scan, if your tv is even compatible.

All I know is that the picture on the xbox is all grainy and looks like crap .....

Cloud Strife
01-23-2003, 09:43 PM
All I know is that the picture on the xbox is all grainy and looks like crap ..... Mayne because of the TV your using or the way you connect your Xbox.

xboxman_1
01-23-2003, 10:04 PM
Mayne because of the TV your using or the way you connect your Xbox.

I dont think so, we tried to watch the same DVD on the same TV using an xbox then a real DVD player, and the real one looked 1000 times better....

Kraft
01-23-2003, 10:09 PM
I dont think so, we tried to watch the same DVD on the same TV using an xbox then a real DVD player, and the real one looked 1000 times better....

Eh, then stick with your normal dvd player. Honestly I would use the normal one even if there wasn't a difference in quality just to save on the wear and tear of my game system.

xboxman_1
01-23-2003, 10:18 PM
Ya, I hear ya.

ARONO129
01-23-2003, 10:21 PM
All I know is that the picture on the xbox is all grainy and looks like crap .....

Since you can't get a picture on your Xbox I assume you mean your TV. Maybe there is a problem with your TV? There is nothing wrong with the quality of the Xbox DVD player.

Sheesh. For under $200 US, the Xbox is a powerful gaming console, DVD player, and CD player. Do people expect it to drive them to school in the morning or clean their house???:rolleyes:

Insane Jester
01-24-2003, 08:12 AM
Although i do have a standalone dvd player i have never used the xbox to watch a dvd on .. this is mainly because i begrudge paying £20 for a controller especially when the ps2 does it for free via the controller. its not that im being tight just why should i pay extra for a feature thats already built into the box ? no wonder microsoft can buy companys out charging extra for built in functions ... greedy greedy swines.

just some guy
01-24-2003, 08:49 AM
I think the quality of the xbox dvd player is a lot better than the ps2's. And when compared to real dvd players i don't see a difference between them and the xbox until you get to the $300 dollar range for dvd players and then it's obvious the xbox isn't as good as those. It gets the job done for me though.

Spaztic
01-24-2003, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by Kraft-XBA

I'd try to hook directly through the tv. Hopefully you at least have AV inputs available...

If you have a modded xbox there is a program that converts your dvd player into pregressive scan. The dvd player actually supports it but microsoft didn't include it. It is just a hex edit....funny that they could have easily included this but didn't for some reason! :rolleyes:

Zion
01-24-2003, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Burning Ranger
No, I only use my Xbox as a console. I choose to by a DVD player to play my DVD's. I wonder how the quality is on the Xbox DVD. I know the Playstation 2 has a good quality one. If I do buy the DVD remote for my Xbox, it brings the amount of DVD players in my bedroom to four.;)

The Xbox DVD player is 10 times better than the PS2..picture quality on the PS2 is awful. It shows lots of compression artifacts while the Xbox player looks great.

Zion
01-24-2003, 09:21 AM

You're definitely doing something wrong then. The Xbox looks as good as any other non-progressive DVD player. Check your hookukps, or perhaps you have a cheap TV? Are you connecting with S-video or component? Which A/V pack do you have?

RudedogX
01-24-2003, 09:23 AM
Pretty much agree with what zion said there, and to add to that, I've seen a lot of DVDs that the XBox can play, that PS2 just can not even begin to handle. I'm not sure if that is because of the newer version of DVD player, or what, but there is a definite difference in quality.

Whisper
01-24-2003, 10:27 AM
i had this problem when i was newbie to the xbox

buy the super a/v pack or just the a/v pack

xboxman_1
01-24-2003, 03:34 PM
You're definitely doing something wrong then. The Xbox looks as good as any other non-progressive DVD player. Check your hookukps, or perhaps you have a cheap TV? Are you connecting with S-video or component? Which A/V pack do you have?

Apparently you're illiterate???