PDA

View Full Version : HD AV Pack Really Dark!

LedZeplin
01-25-2003, 05:13 PM
I just bought the High Definition AV pack for my new HD TV. And I'm having a horrible problem, it's really dark.

I have to turn brightness up to 100% to get it to look close to how bright the screen was with my cheepie Mad catz S-video connector.

Has anyone seen this or have any suggestions as to why. Better cables wouldn't help out would they?

Thanks

J Dub
01-25-2003, 05:38 PM
Do you have your contrast set really low?

LynxFX
01-25-2003, 06:28 PM
Hmm, double check that all the connections are correct and tight.

You really shouldn't turn your brightness up to 100 or even have to. This is really hard on your tv.

If you can, get ahold of Video Essentials or AVIA or even a THX certified dvd that has the THX optimiser at the very least and calibrate that puppy. This should help out immensely.

For instance on my HDTV the default factor settings were 80 contrast and 70 brightness. After calibration, 12 contrast, 54 brightness. Plus color correct the screen. Picture looks absolutely fabulous now.

tennyson
01-25-2003, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Lynxfx-XBA

If you can, get ahold of Video Essentials or AVIA or even a THX certified dvd that has the THX optimiser at the very least and calibrate that puppy. This should help out immensely.

I'm having EXACTLY the same problem since I picked up my HD AV Pack. Where can you get one of these DVDs? Are they free or will they run me a few bucks? Thanks in advance. :)

Snoopy7548
01-25-2003, 09:23 PM
the thx tests are on regular movies(some of them). so you can just go out and buy like star wars episode 2, and it will have a thx test menu. or you can just rent it

LynxFX
01-25-2003, 11:37 PM
As snoopy said you can find them on most THX certified dvd's. Episode II would be a good one. Don't use the one on say Fight Club or Toy Story since they will actually make your picture too dark or too light respectively.

AVIA and Video Essentials are the best for this area however. They run around $20-$30. Very professional. Check them out at www.dvdpricesearch.com

BCan
01-26-2003, 04:56 AM
Lynx, ever thought that Fight Club, like Se7en was actually shot extremely dark. I remember with Se7en when they developed the film they deliberately made it darker than usual.

LedZeplin
01-26-2003, 08:50 AM
I set the THX color settings on my DVD player, I don't have the DVD kit for the xbox so I can't adjust the screen for the xbox specifically..

I tried my good component cables from my dvd player on the xbox and the screen is just as dark.

Everything is tight and correct.

It's probably not my TV, since I did the THX settings from my dvd player and my brightness, and color settings are in reasonable positions.

I tried running the xbox through the same component input as the DVD thinking that component input 2 might be bad, but it's the same

Is is possible that my HD pack is bad?

Mechassult is so dark it's not playable, I can't see the tanks and infantry on the ground.

LedZeplin
01-26-2003, 11:10 AM
I called XBOX support (1-800-4MY-XBOX) And first I couldn't beleive it, I didn't get put in any queue, went straight to a tech.

There have been a few reported problems with the HD pack and Projection TV's But none of them mentioned darkness.

They are going to escelate the issue and have an engineer call me back in a few days. They are also sending me a replacement HD AV Pack to see if that works. Should have it within 15 days. I'll post the result here. or if you are interested in the result PM me and I'll let you know.

Tennyson what kind of TV do you have.? You should call support to add your model to the problem.

LynxFX
01-26-2003, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by BCan
Lynx, ever thought that Fight Club, like Se7en was actually shot extremely dark. I remember with Se7en when they developed the film they deliberately made it darker than usual.

Yes it was shot intentionally dark and that is the problem. The THX optimiser is optimised for that type of film. Same goes for a film like Toy Story which is super bright with lots of colors. THX optimiser isn't the exact same from dvd to dvd. That is why it is always recommended to go with AVIA or VE instead. But THX opt is at least a start.

BCan
01-26-2003, 06:33 PM
Never realised that the THX optimisers were set differently for different movies.

Will have to get out the Video Essentials and retune it...

addict733
01-28-2003, 10:22 PM
i got one a few days ago and i have the same problem! i think it is becuase of the box with the outputs. i hooked the cables up to a dvd player and they work fine. besides darkness, my reds are also very ugly.

LedZeplin
01-29-2003, 06:47 AM
addict773 What kind of TV are you using it with?

You should also call support and add your tv model to the ticket for this issue. plus they will send you a new AV pack.

addict733
01-29-2003, 01:57 PM
im using one of those new rca xbox tvs. it was 299 bux. im gonna call xbox soon.