PDA

View Full Version : What's with everyone?

Lunkrot
11-26-2001, 09:53 AM
Ok, look, I don't know what the big deal is with X-Box. Same with PS2. I never heard anyone getting overly protective on a gaming system until now. I know that everyone will post on this saying their reasons for going crazy. I have made some conclusions, though, of my ideas of why people have been going, "AHHHH! MY SYSTEM'S BETTER! AHHHHHH!":

1. X-box AND PS2 owners are afraid that they are waisting money on a system that might not last. (I bought a Dreamcast months before Sega stopped making new games for it :( so I know how it feels)

2. It makes them feel better that they keep yelling/saying/arguing/going crazy that their system is better

3. I still don't know WHY you would want it, but Microsoft made X-BOX and people are crazy about that....

4. People are crazy today (My Argument for this is I remeber the good ol' days, Snes and Genesis, I never heard my friends going "AHHHH! SEGA SUCKS! AHHHH!" or the other way around...")

5. I hate gaming systems, so get that reply out of the way.

All these are valid arguments. Don't mind the last one, that's for laughs. Anyways, I feel that gamers shouldn't hate each other, Both systems are equally good AND bad. So why don't we just forget about these posts and play our games?

EliGC
11-26-2001, 10:45 AM
I'm not going to lash out at you but the reason why so many people on this forum are angry at trolls is that every day or so we get a PS2 user or a NiN fan coming here and telling that our console sucks. Well, I don't go to PS2 and NiN forums and tell them that their system is bad, I don't even know if such forums exsist.

I'm also not worried if Xbox is going to die, because it won't since MS made it completely clear that they want a piece of your household's electronics.

I also don't need someone rubbing in my face that GT3 has 300 cars. I'm personally a fan of Muscle cars so besides two or three cars in GT3 I will not use other ones. I also don't like the game itself. I don't need someone telling me that MSG2 is a killer 'app' since I don't enjoy it either. What I did like for PS2 was GTA3 and Twisted Metal Black, but these games didn't convince me to buy PS2.

I also don't know why you're saying that Xbox is bad, I don't think that you are allowed to make that judgement.

l Maximus l
11-26-2001, 10:57 AM
It's simple. The XBox is the most powerful gaming system ever created. The proof is in the games...I have four of them now and after a week and a half playing all of them, I'm still in "Awww".

Microsoft gives so much value compared to Sony. Many people perceive Microsoft to be some money sucking company that does whatever it takes to get your walet opened up...but, that perception is in error...they simply make amazing products.

For instance, the XBox has on-line broadband gaming built in. The PoS2 doesn't neither does the LameCube. The XBox has an 8 gig hard-drive standard. The PoS2 is going to charge more money for one after consumers paid their $299.99 (which is the same price for the XBox which already has it standard)...and the LameCube has no plans for a hardrive. The XBox is set up for 5.1 Dolby Digital surround sound...the PoS2 is not and neither is the LameCube. The XBox also is set up for HDTV format...the PoS2 and the LameCube are not. The list goes on and on and on..but, I think you get the picture.

My conclusion: Microsoft simply makes better products...which is a huge value...besides, this type of healthy competition for Sony and Nintendo makes things better for us consumers.

Now, on your last point, if you don't like gaming consoles, then, what the hell are you in here for?

Hugh_Jass
11-26-2001, 11:57 AM
Lunkrot, you must not have been gaming very long if you've never heard of console wars before now. There have been console wars since Atari 2600 vs. Intellivision.

Plewis
11-26-2001, 01:03 PM
Lunkrot, you suck :) ! What happened to your childhood? You don't like gaming?! Oh well, another person to convert!

GokuX
11-26-2001, 02:08 PM
Some people do argue about it because they are kinda worried that they threw away $300 + dollars, others simply think it rules and want everyone to know it. I bought the DC for $200 which was still expensive but I knew its days were doomed when I got it. I just looked at it like well if I get some good multiplayer action out of it for a good couple of times then I'll consider it a good investment. The first day I had it my friends and I played DOA2 and various other games on it for a good 8 hours. In my mind those 8 hours of pure enjoyment went part of the way offsetting the cost of the system. Same with the X-Box, I paid about $600 in total for everything since I have 4 controllers. That was a reason I chose it over the PS2, it had 4 controller ports built in, not just 2, and then you'd have to get a multitap. So far I've been playing it with my friends about every other day for at least 4 hours a day so the cost is slowly being offset, and what I like is that I actually bought it when it came out so I know that there will be way more games to come. Even if there is only 200 games I'm sure that many of em have to be really good and be playable for years to come provided you have friends to play them with. Also I bought it for the DVD playing ability, I needed a DVD player and I'd rather have everything in one package because of less space consideration. If all else fails I still have a great DVD player. I see no reason to argue about systems though, if ya got what you wanted and knew the risks before going in then whats the big deal and why should it make your choice better than another person's choice which may fullfill his/her needs better.

Plewis
11-26-2001, 06:53 PM
I like arguing with the Lamecube people because
1. I know I am right
2. It keeps me busy when I'm not playing the Xbox
3. It's fun

Brian
11-26-2001, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Lunkrot
3. I still don't know WHY you would want it, but Microsoft made X-BOX and people are crazy about that....

Fuk Haters <^>:D<^>

Lunkrot
11-26-2001, 10:09 PM
I obviously got only Abuse from this post, not that abuse is a bad thing, but I said at the bottom That we should forget about goin at each others throats and play games. I also got X-Box fans, no PS fans. And I really do hate Gaming Consoles. PC is better. And why would you want a HARD DRIVE in a gaming system? You don't need it people, really...

smack119
11-26-2001, 10:24 PM
what do you mean you dont need a hardrive??? ok maybe it isnt a complete need....but it speeds up loading, makes for better games, and lets you save a ton.....oh... and rip your own sound tracks....do you want to go buy memory cards all the time....i think i read a post somewhere on the forum about how it would take over 2000 gamecube memory cards to equal the space on the xbox hard drive..... 2000 at at least $15 a pop.....thats like $30,000 dollars worth of memory cards!!!!!

Haine
11-27-2001, 04:33 AM
Pc's games do not come cloase to X-box.I use to be a very avid Fps pc player.Playign in ladders and leagues for q2ctf,q3,ra3.tribes,tribes2.And i have played my share of games unreal,Ut,rogue spear,maxpayne,operationflashpoint,ghostrecon...etc etc..My machine consist of a amd1800 wich is 1.5 ghz 1 gig of ddr memory (2100) abit-kg7-raid,And a geforce 3 card...And pc's do not touch the X-box.Havent touch my pc since i gotten my x-box.O btw i get 7,398 on my 3dmark2001 score's.=P.Thats running at 1024

EliGC
11-27-2001, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by smack119
what do you mean you dont need a hardrive??? ok maybe it isnt a complete need....but it speeds up loading, makes for better games, and lets you save a ton.....oh... and rip your own sound tracks....do you want to go buy memory cards all the time....i think i read a post somewhere on the forum about how it would take over 2000 gamecube memory cards to equal the space on the xbox hard drive..... 2000 at at least $15 a pop.....thats like $30,000 dollars worth of memory cards!!!!!

Actually one XBox HD is equal to 79,800$ spent in GC's memory cards. On everything else you're correct, since I got an Xbox I can't imagene why no one else though of HDs first.

El Pollo Loco
11-27-2001, 08:46 AM
ever played amped to fatboy slim? Don't need HD my ass!

rawiswar
11-27-2001, 05:05 PM
Jeremy, a.k.a. Lunkrot, why don't you go bang your PC, play your little Everquest, and stop dumping your crap in our forums!:p

Brian
11-27-2001, 05:09 PM
Lunkrot is somewhat complaining about us "going at our throats" with this fighting ish. Well you are just asking for some fights saying "Why would you want a HARD DRIVE, I mean you really don't need it" and SHlT like that...jeez. :\

l Maximus l
11-27-2001, 05:13 PM
Gee, Lunkrot...why don't you just yank your hardrive out of your PC...dumb ass

Lunkrot
11-27-2001, 07:25 PM
To a few people, You guys are idiots. Espicially you Baltimore! And evryone will jus' bash on what I have to say. I can't tear my Hard drive out of my comp, it won't work. Another thing, all the really obese, 30 year old people with no life and all the 10-13 year olds who think their cool, stop posting. And Do you REALLY NEED a 8 mb harddrive for a consol? That's storage space, not a processor! You will never save 8 mb of files, I haven't even taken a PS card up through my experiences! And I played a HUGE amount of games! So there's my argument. Everyone, please bash me.

LynxFX
11-27-2001, 11:51 PM
Actually it is 8GB not mb but that aside. The harddrive isn't just for saving games. Unlike every other consoles precious little memory cards the harddrive is innovative to the console industry.

"You will never use 8GB of space"

Ha!!! The harddrive holds more than game data. You now have custom soundtracks. You can rip your entire cd collection and have plenty of room. Now games are cached on the hd and you no longer have loading times inbetween levels. That is reason enough right there. GTA3 on PS2 sucks when you are traveling between islands and then you have to pause for a while until the new island loads. On the xbox there will be no pause. THAT is why a hd is innovative. THAT is why we all love MS for what they have done with this console. The other thing is that once MS official broadband network gets launched you can download new levels, demos, new characters etc. Try that with your PS2 or GC.

Also I'll never have to pay another $30 for a pos memory card. blah.

EliGC
11-28-2001, 07:40 AM
To a few people, You guys are idiots. Espicially you Baltimore! And evryone will jus' bash on what I have to say. I can't tear my Hard drive out of my comp, it won't work. Another thing, all the really obese, 30 year old people with no life and all the 10-13 year olds who think their cool, stop posting. And Do you REALLY NEED a 8 mb harddrive for a consol? That's storage space, not a processor! You will never save 8 mb of files, I haven't even taken a PS card up through my experiences! And I played a HUGE amount of games! So there's my argument. Everyone, please bash me.

Lunkrot, I didn't bash you but I don't think you have enough experience to say that consoles don't need HDs since you haven't played on Xbox. Before posting again and telling us how we bash everyone who speaks against an Xbox please undertsand that we're fed up with people who never even seen an Xbox and complain about it. This whole argument is not getting anywhere because we're trying to prove something to a person who has absolutely no idea what we're talking about.

I understand that you can't comprehend why a console doesn't need an HD, neither can Sony and Nintendo but once you'll try it you'll see its benefits. So please get to know someone who already has an Xbox or rent one from your local Blockbuster.

l Maximus l
11-28-2001, 11:10 AM
The hard-drive is awesome! You get to save all your games, no game pauses due to the caching system inside the XBox and you get to rip your CD collection and listen to your own music while playing selective games like PGR or Amped, etc...

Lunkrot..if this is not innovative, then, why do you suppose Sony is coming out with one on their PoS2?

Besides, you have to think of the XBox as something even more than a Gaming console. It's also a CD player and DVD player. Personally, I didn't buy either one for my home entertainment center because I knew it would all be on the XBox...so, I was patient. Once I get my surround sound system and a solid receiver, I will be set! And, yes, I will not have 10 remote controls like most people. Most dudes don't care, but, when your wife (or girlfriend) wants to listen to a CD or something, they want to be able to figure it out.

And while listening to the CD player, you can make a custom soundtrack...mix it up any way you want and not just be limited to one CD. I have saved over 40 tracks and dozens of game saves...and I haven't even put a dent in my XBox's hard drive. Man, I love this thing!!!!!!

leecow
11-28-2001, 04:33 PM
Fair question man ... thanks for bringing it up. Thinking about why you like or believe something is always a good thing.

Saving games is nice but hardly interesting. Performance gains make for a smoother experience but nothing too shiney there. Ripping CDs for custom soundtracks - that's a little better. But what about the untapped future possibilities such as downloading game demos or games expansions or updates? What about something like GameSpy running right on the XBox? Ah, now we're talking about some exciting stuff!!!

Lunkrot
11-28-2001, 05:56 PM
Yes, I have SEEN and PLAYED an X-box, It's a great system. But, I perfer a Computer to any ol' console anyday. Jus to get that out of the way.

Lunkrot
11-28-2001, 06:00 PM
I feel that I have proved my point and that X-Box and PS2 fans are too Stubborn to admit I may be right. The discussion is WAY off topic. THIS FORUM IS CLOSED! you all are fuking idiots anyway. The funny thing is, I never got someone who agreed with me... So, Good bye to this one! :D

Lunkrot
11-28-2001, 06:24 PM
I wanted to open the tread up because, my thread for some reason, is getting alot of bashing done to it, no one answers or responds to the original question (I don't cuz it's funner watching people act like idiots.) Besides, it gives my friends a good laugh to see what X-Box addicts have to say...

:D

Haine
11-28-2001, 06:36 PM
Seems like your talking to yourself lunkrot?

Frostberg
11-28-2001, 06:53 PM
ok IMO Lunkrot, your just a dumba$$. If you have no intentions of buying an Xbox, why are you here? Did you not read the webaddrewss in the first place? its not called XBOXADDICT because we hate the things. I dont know what you are thinking, When I had my genesis all I did was make fun of the SNES and how much it sucked...im sure a lot of people did. And who here is AFRAID of wasing money?? Half of the people here got their Xbox the first day, without playing with it. Sure we went to the kiosks and stuff, but thats because we couldnt wait. Sure a bunch of others are waiting, but thats just because they cant find an xbox to buy. And then of course there are people like you who want to corrupt the universe (Ok maybe not the universe) and come create chaos. If you dont want one, thats ok...its not my loss...buy I dont think that you are going to make even one person not want an Xbox because of your coments, which I find untrue and meaningless...It does not make people feel better because the Xbox is better...if they want to feel good all they need to do is get an Xbox and pop in any of the fint titles and play away...

SORRY HAINE!

aronx
11-28-2001, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Lynxfx
Actually it is 8GB not mb but that aside. The harddrive isn't just for saving games. Unlike every other consoles precious little memory cards the harddrive is innovative to the console industry.

"You will never use 8GB of space"

Ha!!! The harddrive holds more than game data. You now have custom soundtracks. You can rip your entire cd collection and have plenty of room. Now games are cached on the hd and you no longer have loading times inbetween levels. That is reason enough right there. GTA3 on PS2 sucks when you are traveling between islands and then you have to pause for a while until the new island loads. On the xbox there will be no pause. THAT is why a hd is innovative. THAT is why we all love MS for what they have done with this console. The other thing is that once MS official broadband network gets launched you can download new levels, demos, new characters etc. Try that with your PS2 or GC.

Also I'll never have to pay another $30 for a pos memory card. blah.

Hard drives are too slow to cache any serious game data. Theres gonna be load times in places during the game.

aronx
11-28-2001, 07:06 PM
I feel that I have proved my point and that X-Box and PS2 fans are too Stubborn to admit I may be right. The discussion is WAY off topic. THIS FORUM IS CLOSED! you all are fuking idiots anyway. The funny thing is, I never got someone who agreed with me... So, Good bye to this one! :D

What was your point again? I think it got lost somewhere between the who gives a fuk and your dad is a *** argument.

Frostberg
11-28-2001, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by aronx

Hard drives are too slow to cache any serious game data. Theres gonna be load times in places during the game.

Ok yes, but for the most part you can have massive levels with almost no load time. Have you played Halo? like ocasionally it says "Loading...Done" and it lasts like less than a second. And it doesnt really load all that often, or else it just doesnt seem like it because its so fast and its hardly not noticeable. the checkpoints just quicksave, so you expect a small pause, but its like 1/10 of a second. LOL and DoA3...seriously I dont think the Xbox's HD is too slow to cache any game data

Haine
11-28-2001, 07:34 PM
Frostberg i think you got me confused with someone else,or you have multiple personality's(gemini are we?).I made a comment on Lunkrot posting like 3 times in a row with no one replying to him,So my comment was (Are you talking to yourself Lunkrot?).And that suppose to mean that i dont own a X-box and that i do not know where i am posting at?

I am so confused?

Frostberg
11-28-2001, 08:06 PM
My bad, im sorry i pasted the wrong name in there, ment to put Lunkrot's name. What I was reffering to was his first post what started this thread not that other crap the same dumba$$ posted, once again i'm sorry!

MaxPain
11-28-2001, 08:08 PM
*sigh* :rolleyes:

Haine
11-28-2001, 08:10 PM
I thought that was the case,but i was like is this guy really crazy(j/k).....But anyways no problem...

El Pollo Loco
11-28-2001, 08:41 PM
Bottom Line.... who cares? Lunkrot doesn't like the Xbox or prefers his PC bigdeal...

I love my xbox, and my pc. yay fer me :P

Frostberg
11-28-2001, 08:45 PM
Ok crazy chicken, the fact that he comes in here and blasts the xbox for no reason is enough. If he doesnt like the Xbox I dont care, but does he really need to sell us all of his nonsense?

scarecrow kfj
11-29-2001, 09:37 AM
The HD is for cookies once the xbox goes online. Yes it doubles for saves and music but it is going to be mostly for the online gaming, updates and such.

l Maximus l
11-29-2001, 11:40 AM
Exactly, Scarecrow...a great feature, isn't it? :D

MaxPain
11-29-2001, 11:42 AM
Hey, I heard if something goes wrong with the HD then everything is screwed.... that true? :D

Frostberg
11-29-2001, 03:47 PM
prolly because some games depend on the HD to play...so I guess you can say that...it sure would suck. I dont like the skimpy waranty the Xbox has either. But Im sure it would only be around $50 to get a new Hd, but then again you have to do it through MS and shipping that sucker might cost a pretty penny. But I dont think the chances are too great that your Xbox will ever have any problems

SACK
11-29-2001, 04:16 PM
NUF SAID!

Oh and Lunkrot, I'm 33 years old and I do think I'm cool. Thanks for pointing that out. WOOOOOOO anyone for some DOA3!

MS-xbox
11-29-2001, 10:22 PM
You dont need a hard drive to skip load times, some games have, some games dont

GTA3 has a long load time in the start, but once you get in your ina huge world, it even has a talk raido station with 3 hours of talking, which i think is cool

FFX, i played this on import, it has almost no load times and it does not use the hard drive, but it will work with the PS2 hard drive when it comes out.

Also if ya talk to x-box hard drive out, it has the same connection cables as a PC, but if ya plug it into a PC it wont work /grin

As for the playing for your own songs, just get a CD player and listen to you own music while playing a game duh!

And i like memory card, ya can take your saved games where ever

The 32mb memory card is fine for me, i still have not even filled up half of that sucka

Don't get me a wrong a hard drive is cool, but i hate moving parts!

You drop that sucka and pop! your hard drive is broken!

Heck are you gonna have to defrag your x-box? hehe

aronx
11-30-2001, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by MS-xbox
You dont need a hard drive to skip load times, some games have, some games dont

GTA3 has a long load time in the start, but once you get in your ina huge world, it even has a talk raido station with 3 hours of talking, which i think is cool

FFX, i played this on import, it has almost no load times and it does not use the hard drive, but it will work with the PS2 hard drive when it comes out.

Also if ya talk to x-box hard drive out, it has the same connection cables as a PC, but if ya plug it into a PC it wont work /grin

As for the playing for your own songs, just get a CD player and listen to you own music while playing a game duh!

And i like memory card, ya can take your saved games where ever

The 32mb memory card is fine for me, i still have not even filled up half of that sucka

Don't get me a wrong a hard drive is cool, but i hate moving parts!

You drop that sucka and pop! your hard drive is broken!

Heck are you gonna have to defrag your x-box? hehe

Ya, I dont like the idea of moving parts either. Especially something as sensitive as a hard drive.

I can imagine MS producing "utility" software in the future to do things like defragment and "clean" the hard drive.

I think the biggest use of the hard drive will come when they get the online thing going. Hopefully they'll offer downloads for extra levels of games and s.hit like that. I fear that will come at a cost though.....

Haine
11-30-2001, 05:12 PM
Well to the hardrive comment,They way the design hardrives nowadays you would have to beat the machine with a hammer to get the platters to hit each other.My friend ran a game shop with 12 pc's and there comps took some abuse and in 4 years not a hardrive once went bad.I have seen the tower fall from a 2 foot drop while running..Nothing...I have had one of my hardrives for like 2 years now,My kids have knocked my tower on its side while running,I lay it on its side while running all the time.Keeps ticking N/P..Hardrives are very sturdy,Unless the seal comes off that holds the vacumn...

shoulda2
11-30-2001, 05:25 PM
I didn't read all the post but i can't believe someone said that the xbox or any console can compete with a high end pc like the one i am getting soon enough. You need to wake up an smell the coffee.
<p>
Only thing i can figure out is maybe you meant just for fun facter and multiplayer in home...

shoulda2
11-30-2001, 05:31 PM
It won't need to be defragmented becuase of the OS no large scale apps run off of the hard drive at all as far as i know unless they release word perfect for xbox or something.
<p>
I love microsoft personally they raise the bar for every other computing company and are a leadr in every field they enter. If they can't run along side you and stay ahead they will crush you (see netscape). I even am happy with there new OS XP professional has yet to crash on me and i have had it running for 10 days straight np before i shut it down to blow the dust out of my case..

Haine
11-30-2001, 05:43 PM
Shoulda2,I probably already have a faster machine than you are getting.Wont make any difference sorry...=P.Well it will make a difference,But wont beat a x-box sorry..As of yet...
I have a Amd 1800
1 gig of 2100 ddr memory
A-bit kg7 raid Mobo
Sb live Plat.
And a hercules geforce 3

MS-xbox
11-30-2001, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Haine
Shoulda2,I probably already have a faster machine than you are getting.Wont make any difference sorry...=P.Well it will make a difference,But wont beat a x-box sorry..As of yet...
I have a Amd 1800
1 gig of 2100 ddr memory
A-bit kg7 raid Mobo
Sb live Plat.
And a hercules geforce 3

Man, that is a killer rig!!!

How much did that thing set you back???

And shoulda2, if they make it so you can download new levels and stuff, dont you think that it will make a large enough app to make you need to defrag your hard drive?

Haine
12-01-2001, 07:12 AM
Well for the memeory,Amd 1800,And mobo it was like $650.Then regualr Sblive Plat oem version was $125.Bought my geforce 3 second day it came out and it was $429,But it is hercules and there always like $30 more,But you get what you pay for...

Haine
12-01-2001, 07:14 AM
Btw,I get 7398 on 3dmark2001 at 1024by768 all 32 bit,But no aa is on...