PDA

View Full Version : Just Went To Eb Have A ?

greggp666
01-25-2003, 11:47 PM
i just got back from eb and got THE THING it was on sale for $20 so why not right? so i pick up the box from the display and give it to the clerk to make sure it was $20 and it was. i was waiting for him to give me a sealed game but it was opened and and the cleark was looking for the game behind the desk.

now to the ? do you guys have this happen to you? was it a used game i got and thought it was new? does Eb do that so you dont steal? any clues? thanks

xboxmaster2002
01-26-2003, 12:07 AM
they always have 1 or more coverboxes of games on the shelf for each game and if tey dont have anymore sealed copies they have to give you the coverbox from the shelf and they take the game from the back of the desk.

silvertrace
01-26-2003, 01:16 AM
my copy of nba2k3 was the display box and i asked for a discount since it was kinda worn looking, the guy laughed and said "no"

so i destroyed him............:)

Reclaimer
01-26-2003, 02:50 AM
I know it is a standard security practice to put only empty game boxes on the shelves and at the time of purchase, they give you the sealed version from behind the counter. So you're saying, he gave you an opened / unsealed copy? Meaning, he put the disc and instructions in the box he handed you? If so, you got a used game. New games have the security tape on the edges from the factory (from what I understand.) You know, the tape that holds both sides together and runs the long edge of the box closed. If your game didn't have that, then you certainly got a used copy. But hey, if it works and it's undamaged, then don't sweat it, you saved some cash.

BCan
01-26-2003, 04:59 AM
I've had the experience where the game I bought was the last copy that they had, so the actual box that was on the shelves was the last they had in stock. So they had to give it to me, they were due for delivery of more games the next day.

It wasn't XBOX though, so it was just putting the CD case and instructions into the box.

Insane Jester
01-26-2003, 08:17 AM
My local eb and game (who has just bought eb out in uk anyway) always have empty cases and when u take the case they give u the new game and manual wrapped in celophane <--- if thats the spelling or film .. its just a security thing .

No Fear 23
01-26-2003, 09:34 AM
im gonna start buying used games soon bc some games that i have aint worth the whole 50$:(

Fifth5reedom
01-26-2003, 09:45 AM
well this happened to me and I wasnt impressed. You are not getting a used copy because they are giving you a display case and the disc in thier protective sleeve. Not that it protects crap. I went to buy medal of honor frontline one day and they were sold out. So the guy checked his comp. and it said he had one left. So he told me to grab a box. He gave me a disc with scratches all over the bottom. Anyways, how do you like the thing.

Snoopy7548
01-26-2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by xboxmaster2002
they always have 1 or more coverboxes of games on the shelf for each game and if tey dont have anymore sealed copies they have to give you the coverbox from the shelf and they take the game from the back of the desk.

yea, i bought a ps2 game. and i brought up the display box. so the guy goes in the shelf with all the games, and takes out just the cd and instruction book and its wrapped in plastic. and im like wtf, i want a case. and he puts it in the display case and gives me that.

Hitman101
01-26-2003, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by silvertrace
my copy of nba2k3 was the display box and i asked for a discount since it was kinda worn looking, the guy laughed and said "no"

I really think that they need to discount the display copy's of video game because (IMO) when you dish out money to get something NEW it should be NEW and in the sealed package. IMO its like going to a candy store and asking for some Gum and the guy gives you a package with out the wrapper and thats been all over the floor.:eek:

speedbuggy76
01-26-2003, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by silvertrace

Hey man, just wanted to let you know that your sig's too big! Please resize it so we can keep the privelege.

greggp666
01-26-2003, 12:37 PM
ok thanks guys ill go with the security reason.but as said before they sould knock off a few $$$$$$$$$$ as it is an open game.but it still makes me made that they think buy putting up display cases people are not going to steal other stuff. when i got the game the buzzer went off when some kid left the store and the two big fat lazy (yes they where so no flaming thanks)clerks just did nothing. like they could run after anyone anyway.

so my point is just leave the game sealed in the box or discount the open game.

rant rant rant(ect............)

LynxFX
01-26-2003, 12:41 PM
If it truly was previously owned then the price sticker would start with PO-XXXXXX. They don't always put the big round Previously Ownded stickers, so the sku # is the dead give away.

I hate purchasing a brand new game from them though and not having it shrink wrapped.

canadianboi3
01-26-2003, 04:42 PM
i went to eb to buy ghost recon, nba 2k3, and nfl 2k3. the prices were decent. 1 dollar less a game than walmart(cheaest for games). anyway, i go the counter, and hhe gives me the games and they were all opened. i look inside and no manuals. i said theres no manuals. he said "well it's a used game and we had a note saying no manual on the shelf(behind 10 rows of games on the wall)" so i said screw this, used games with no manuals for this much? so i went to walmart and bought all the games for 3 dollars more. worth it for new games with manuals:rolleyes:

Cloud Strife
01-26-2003, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by irule23
im gonna start buying used games soon bc some games that i have aint worth the whole 50$:( That is why I rarely spend $50 on a game. Usually when I do, I am disapointed in the game. That is why I wait a while to buy a videogame.

Originally posted by Snoopy7548
yea, i bought a ps2 game. and i brought up the display box. so the guy goes in the shelf with all the games, and takes out just the cd and instruction book and its wrapped in plastic. and im like wtf, i want a case. and he puts it in the display case and gives me that. I have that happen to me all the time at EB and it ticks me off. I want every single one of my game cases to be shinny new. That is why I don't buy from EB and Babbages. I buy my games at Circuit City, Best Buy, Toy's R Us, Target, or Meijer. They gave me the display case for Pac-Man World 2 for Xbox. I hate it because I had to use Goo Gone to take the sticker off.:(

Snoopy7548
01-26-2003, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Lynxfx-XBA
I hate purchasing a brand new game from them though and not having it shrink wrapped.

its not a bad thing if its not shrink wrapped. i HATE taking off the wrap, and then you find like 3 stickers holding the case shut. and you end up fu*king up the plastic. its so annoying. especially when they do that on dvd's. ive probly ruined about 10 cases because of it.

and omg, i bought ET(cause its limited edition, and my neighbor said its going out of stores sometime soon), so i buy it, take off the plastic, then theres THREE stickers! so i take one off, and oh sh*t, it peels some of the color off of the box. i got so mad. i hate it when they do that. and theres absolutely NO point in it. all the stickers say is "Security Device Enclosed." well, i dont need three fu*kin stickers telling me that, what do they think i have ADD or something? jesus it makes me so mad.

ARONO129
01-26-2003, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by greggp666
i just got back from eb and got THE THING it was on sale for $20 so why not right? so i pick up the box from the display and give it to the clerk to make sure it was $20 and it was. i was waiting for him to give me a sealed game but it was opened and and the cleark was looking for the game behind the desk.

now to the ? do you guys have this happen to you? was it a used game i got and thought it was new? does Eb do that so you dont steal? any clues? thanks

They do that so that people don't steal. A better way is to keep an empty case out on display and new copies behind the desk. But they don't care about that. I hate that price sticker glued right on the CD case.

I hate when they (EB) and other stores tell you that they have a game and when you get there they can't find the copy of the game.

alien_69
01-27-2003, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by greggp666

it happened to me once. the guy took the box and went in back for 5 minutes. he came out with the same box shrinked wrapped. if i wanted a game like that i would have picked up the used one for less. :D

ARONO129
01-27-2003, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by alien_69
it happened to me once. the guy took the box and went in back for 5 minutes. he came out with the same box shrinked wrapped. if i wanted a game like that i would have picked up the used one for less. :D

http://pub4.picturehost.co.uk/DSC00256.jpg
http://pub4.picturehost.co.uk/DSC00257.jpg

Something to watch out for from now on. Interesting. I can only think of one reason why a store whould shrink wrap a used game.

alien_69
01-27-2003, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by ARONO129
Something to watch out for from now on. Interesting. I can only think of one reason why a store whould shrink wrap a used game.

Well if it's the same reason i'm thinking of, it's to sell used/opened games to people for full price.

I almost called him on it, but decided to take it home and get some pics. i returned it next day and bought a NEW SEALED one at Fry's for the exact same price.

ARONO129
01-27-2003, 03:17 AM
Well if it's the same reason i'm thinking of, it's to sell used/opened games to people for full price.

I almost called him on it, but decided to take it home and get some pics. i returned it next day and bought a NEW SEALED one at Fry's for the exact same price.

If I were to forget about the Xbox seal (which does come off easily in one piece) that game looks new.

alien_69
01-27-2003, 04:28 AM
Originally posted by ARONO129
If I were to forget about the Xbox seal (which does come off easily in one piece) that game looks new.

well aside from that, new XBOX games come in cellophane, which tears easily - also that EB Game, had:

- Stickers on the game box, a price sticker, and a lame EB sticker, under the plastic wrap. which is lame because what if this was a GIFT!!! a price sticker under the shrink wrap isn't cool for gifts.

- the wrap that EB used is the stretch shrink wrap which is ugly, and has flash crap on the edges and isn't folded on the edges. i could tell what he did because that was the box i gave him and he went and shrink wrapped it with all the lame stickers too.

the game i bought from Frys had a price sticker on the outside, but no store stickers on the inside.

the easiest way to tell if the game is new is the XBox seal, and the neat cellophane wrap, which is folded neatly on the ends - and no lame store price stickers under the wrap :D

Cloud Strife
01-27-2003, 05:52 AM
They gave me a shirk rapped copy of Time Stalkers at EB. Made me mad too. But I can still remember when I went to buy Sega GT 2002 at my EB, I know that guy who works at my EB well, all he could find was a shrink wrapped copy left. He told me to buy a used one for a less price for I wouldn't buy the already opened game. Weird.:rolleyes:

Snoopy7548
01-27-2003, 03:19 PM
lol dont u mean time splitters?

ARONO129
01-27-2003, 03:58 PM
well aside from that, new XBOX games come in cellophane, which tears easily - also that EB Game, had:

- Stickers on the game box, a price sticker, and a lame EB sticker, under the plastic wrap. which is lame because what if this was a GIFT!!! a price sticker under the shrink wrap isn't cool for gifts.

- the wrap that EB used is the stretch shrink wrap which is ugly, and has flash crap on the edges and isn't folded on the edges. i could tell what he did because that was the box i gave him and he went and shrink wrapped it with all the lame stickers too.

the game i bought from Frys had a price sticker on the outside, but no store stickers on the inside.

the easiest way to tell if the game is new is the XBox seal, and the neat cellophane wrap, which is folded neatly on the ends - and no lame store price stickers under the wrap :D ]

Yes. You are right. The cello wrap on Xbox games is neatly folded. It would be rather easy to tell. My bad...

bbchs_trash
01-29-2003, 08:53 AM
I just say nevermind and walk out...