PDA

View Full Version : [PGR] Cars getting worse?

DR2000
11-26-2001, 09:56 AM
I'm up to the Nissan Skyline (or what's its name) at this point, and I looked at the next cars that I have to unlock, and judging by statistics (handling, acceleration, top speed) it looks like they are getting worse from this point on, untill some ferarri.

Does anyone has those unlocked, and is it true, or those stats don't mean much? If those cars are actually worse, then I don't see why they made it so, coz there is no point in working to unlock them.

What do you think?

l Maximus l
11-27-2001, 05:36 PM
I would agree that a Porche Boxter should be better than the Nissan Skyline...but, apparently, not in this game. I can care less about the first few cars...I'm at the same point you are, probably...because I am on the Skyline right now, too. I can't wait to see what's next! Dude, but, check out the other Skyline colors...there's one or two that look like Ralli cars...they look bad ass!

jetstorm
11-30-2001, 11:24 AM
the stats arent too accurate because you can have 2 cars with identical values in the car select screen but one can pick up better because of things like gear ratio and the fact that some cars have 6 gears rather than 5. that means that 2 cars doing 150 KM/H can have different power at any given moment at the same speed. so making a power turn at 150 with one car can be very hard to do on another. some can also pick up faster in the early gears but take forever after a certain point and vice versa...

FpS_PhReeK
12-03-2001, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Maximus
I would agree that a Porche Boxter should be better than the Nissan Skyline...but, apparently, not in this game. I can care less about the first few cars...I'm at the same point you are, probably...because I am on the Skyline right now, too. I can't wait to see what's next! Dude, but, check out the other Skyline colors...there's one or two that look like Ralli cars...they look bad ass!

OMG!!!!!!! I cannot believe that you just said that.... holy *****. You guys have never heard of a Nissan Skyline????? The car was banned from the USA; only available in Europe, Austrailia, and Asian markets. This car can kill a Corvette any day of the week and take a Viper to the line on a road course in the right hands because it is available with All Wheel Drive giving it all kinds of grip. I love AWD cars, Subaru WRX rules. Of course driving fast is bad, please follow the speed limit and remeber to use those traffic signals before changing lanes.

http://www.skylinesdownunder.co.nz/skylinepictures/crashgallery/gtr_tree1.jpg

And remember too much power can be a bad thing.

PhReeK out!

darianX
12-04-2001, 01:02 PM
Some of the cars above it are unlocked via quick race golds and arcade mode golds. It appears some of them are really worth it though. That Nissan is the best I've found yet though. The vette has power but it fishtails around every corner, every turn at all I should say.

On a different note, has anyone gotten to the Professional Season overtake challege yet?? I can't pass 8 cars to save my life....or 7 for that matter. Getting the kudos is no problem but I can't pass 7 cars for the life of me. I enjoy the game a lot but its beginning to get frustrating now.

leecow
12-04-2001, 03:11 PM
Got to learn how to use that horsepower :)

Any rwd car with loads of horsepower will really want to swap ends coming off a corner if you're not gentle on the throttle ... this includes the F50. Drive like there's an egg under the gas pedal :) . It may be easier to get the Skyline to corner quickly but that doesn't mean that it has better grip in the corner that the vette. Just means that the power gets to the ground differently at all 4 corners when you mash the throttle. Cornering grip is an attribute of the contact patch and weight transfer.

In PGR learn how to get the vette off the corner and you will never, ever see a Skyline in front of you.

leecow
12-04-2001, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by darianX
On a different note, has anyone gotten to the Professional Season overtake challege yet?? I can't pass 8 cars to save my life....or 7 for that matter. Getting the kudos is no problem but I can't pass 7 cars for the life of me. I enjoy the game a lot but its beginning to get frustrating now.

More 'vette loving here :) . Go directly to the 1:1, use the Skyline and give yourself a 16 sec head start. After winning, learn how to drive the 'vette. I completed this challenge last night and was able to pass 9 cars. This took many attempts as the car spacing works out slightly different in each run. Just keep at it and you'll get there!!

I've also used the vette to go back and begin completing earlier levels to all gold. My last was the Boxster 1:1 in the Introductory level - gave him an 18 second head start :D

leecow
12-04-2001, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by FpS_PhReeK
This car can kill a Corvette any day of the week and take a Viper to the line on a road course in the right hands because it is available with All Wheel Drive giving it all kinds of grip.

Love the picture!!!

Here are the specs on the cars we seem to be talking about at this point - sorry I didn't find the cars but I suspect that they're not that different.
------------------------------------
Skyline R34 - $89k
276hp and 216ft lbs torque
0-60 5.2 sec
Top speed 112mph
1/4 mile (calculated) 13.7 sec

Z06 - $50k
405hp and 400ft lbs torque
0-60 3.9 sec
Top speed 171mph
1/4 mile (calculated) 12.4 sec
--------------------------------------

On a twisty enough course, the Skyline would likely have an advantage due to the cars better balance but if there are any significant portions where the Vette (or Viper) could stretch out, it wouldn't even be close.