PDA

View Full Version : System Link Cable

l Maximus l
11-26-2001, 11:34 AM
Is the System Link Cable available yet? I know that they were recalled, but, is there any news on their availability? If there has been news, I haven't heard yet...so, give me some luv :D

CBR900rr
11-26-2001, 11:45 AM
Cant you just use a standard networking cable to link one on one? I have a few cables but no second xbox to test...hmmmm

Hugh_Jass
11-26-2001, 12:04 PM
The system cable is just a CAT 5 crossover cable, which you can get just about anywhere. I think even Home Depot sells them. Radio Shack does for sure.

There is nothing special about the MS branded cable.

l Maximus l
11-26-2001, 12:14 PM
Okay, I see...thanks, Hugh...But, I'm curious: If I were to pick up a CAT 5 cable from Radio Shack, would I simply connect two XBoxes (A buddy of mine has one) with the CAT 5 cable and then connect each XBox to their own TVs just like I normally would?

I have two TVs, one is a 36" Toshiba S-Video TV and the other is a lower end, but relatively new (3 years old) 27" Sharp TV that only has RCA connectivity. I would like to put an end to split screen gaming and use two TVs instead.

Tell me if this connection is correct:

1. Connect my XBox using my Advanced A/V pack to my 36" S-Video Toshiba TV.

2. Connect my buddy's XBox to my 27" Sharp via RCA

3. Connect my XBox to my buddy's XBox via CAT 5 link cable.

Is it this simple?

VAN
11-26-2001, 12:24 PM
FYI:

I was at Best Buy yesterday and they had the SYstem Link Cables in stock.

l Maximus l
11-26-2001, 12:45 PM
You guys have to admit...the transparent green System Link Cable would look pretty nice with the rest of the stock XBox stuff versus a potentially ugly CAT 5 cable :D

Oh, and thanks, VAN....I called a local store and they said that they are expecting them this week :) I would go to Best Buy but I get a discount at a different store. I don't mind waiting a week, but, I am pretty pumped up to try it out :D Thanks for the info! That's what made me call and find out!

Hugh_Jass
11-26-2001, 10:10 PM
If you have a crossover cable you can hook two XBoxen together with no additional equipment.

If you don't have a crossover cable or want to hook more than two XBoxen together you'll need a hub and regular CAT 5 patch cables.

l Maximus l
11-27-2001, 11:03 AM
Hugh...thanks for the reply. I don't mean to sound like an idiot, but, I'm kind of novice with this stuff. (I'm learning, though...thanks for your help!!)

I'm curious, is a crossover cable simply the CAT 5 cable? I saw one at an electronics store than I am positive will fit. It was simply a CAT 5 cable...is that all I need?

Basically, all I want to do for now is to hook up two XBoxes to two TVs primarily to avoid split screen gaming.

Hugh_Jass
11-27-2001, 11:54 AM
A crossover cable is a special type of CAT 5 cable. It can look nearly identical but two of the wires are switched on one side (thus the name, "crossover").

The package should be clearly labeled. If it doesn't say it's a crossover cable then it isn't. I think any store that sells CAT 5 cables should also carry crossover cables. Ask a knowledgable employee if you can't find it.

l Maximus l
11-27-2001, 12:10 PM
Thanks, Hugh...I appreciate it :) That makes a lot of sense. So, I assume that the System Link Cable for XBox is a crossover cable then, correct?

Hugh_Jass
11-27-2001, 09:32 PM
Exactly right.

l Maximus l
11-28-2001, 11:25 AM
Thanks again, Hugh...I found a 20' foot crossover cable for $9.99 :D I'm going to pick one up tonight :D I have a close buddy who also has XBox.

But, I have another question, if you don't mind. I was wondering if we both are required to have the same game (one of the same game in each XBox) to be able to play in LAN mode on the same level of the same game?

In other words, the only game that he owns is Project Gotham Racing. Since I have project Gotham Racing, too...we can link them together and play the same level without being forced to play on a split screen on one TV and each have our own full screen on seperate TVs. But, I have Halo, and he does not (yet)...so, to play in a LAN, does he have to get Halo, too?

DrUnKtAnK
11-28-2001, 11:46 AM
Maximus - I am pretty sure that for you and your friend to play HALO together on 2 xBOX's, you will need 2 copies of HALO.
Let us know how it works out.

l Maximus l
11-28-2001, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by DrUnKtAnK
Maximus - I am pretty sure that for you and your friend to play HALO together on 2 xBOX's, you will need 2 copies of HALO.
Let us know how it works out.

Thanks, buddy...Now I have to convince my buddy to buy Halo. Unfortunately, when I introduced the game to him for the first time, I thought we could try out the Legendary mode since I have been playing the Normal mode for some time. Dude, was that a mistake!!! He seriously cannot stand Halo! It's all my fault...I told him to erase his memory and we will try it again on normal mode...lol....can I say "Whooooooooops?!?!"

DrUnKtAnK
11-28-2001, 11:58 AM
Hell I hate to admit it, I started in easy mode....

:rolleyes:

l Maximus l
11-28-2001, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by DrUnKtAnK
Hell I hate to admit it, I started in easy mode....

:rolleyes:

LOL...dude, it's all good. I started out on the Normal mode...but, I have to admit, I have yet to play Halo in single player mode....I've only played in co-op :D

Man!!! It feels good to get the truth out, doesn't it?!? :p