PDA

View Full Version : Amped: An Impartial Review

VAN
11-26-2001, 01:34 PM
Amped. Is it an action game? Is it a sports game? I dunno, thats why I have opted to post in here. Please relocate the thread if necessary.

###backstory###

I stood in line a tolerable 8 and a half hours on November 14th to be one of the first to own an XBOX. At the time of purchase, I also spent a fair amount of cash on a start-up library of titles for my new system. I bought Dead or Alive 3, Munch's Odyssey, NASCAR Thunder 2002, Project Gotham Racing, and of course, Halo.

As of Thanksgiving Day, I had completed DoA3, Munch, and Halo, and was halfway through the 2 race titles. I needed something new. I needed another game.

###end backstory###

So....

Yesterday, I went to Best Buy to check out the games. They had several titles that were unavailable at the Wal*Mart where I bought my system. I chose to get Amped: Freestyle Snowboarding, and here are my honest, unbiased thoughts on the game.

Bottomline? On a scale of 1 to 10, I would have to rate this game a modest 6.5 (7.0 at best). Why so low? Well while the game is extremely fun to play, I couldn't help but get annoyed by some of the games shortcomings.

The graphics are quite nice, don't get me wrong. Nothing stellar, but they are great nonetheless. What irritated me was the rather cumbersome series of Interfaces you are forced to wade through prior to starting a game.

Several times I would be disappointed with my gameplay halfway through a run, and would want to simply begin again. Not so simple. To restart a course, you must pause the game, select New Run from the menu, then RESELECT the level, and then sit through a brief description of the course. Granted, this last step ca be avoided in the future by pressing X to not display again, but thats yet another step.

I would have preferred a PGR-esque method of handling things should you choose to restart a halfway completed stage. Hit pause, choose restart. Done. I know, sems like a small detail, huh? Well, it gets extremely irritating, extremely quickly--especialy when coupled with the next game flaw.

Unresponsive menu items. I'm used to pressing a button and instantly being sent to the next section of a menu. Not so in Amped. Pressing "A" to indicate your choice can sometimes take upwards of several seconds before the screen catches up and paints the new menu. Often times I was left wondering--did I push the button? So I'd push it again..and again. Very annoying. Those of you who have the game will know what I am referring to.

The biggest gripe I have is in regards to the CHEATS menu. One of the first things did was enter the RidinwRaven cheat so I could play as her--and it worked like a charm. The problem arises when you wish you quit playing as your cheat character and instead wish to start up a quick run, or a career mode.

If you have cheats enabled, the game will actually instruct you to TURN OFF the XBOX and TURN IT BACK ON before you can continue. What kind of ridiculous system is this? I entered a cheat code to gain a hidden rider, and now I must switch off my XBOX and switch it back on again before I will be allowed to continue playing the game? Very frustrating.

A couple *minor* details which also irked me were the massive amount of polygon degradation when your rider becomes "trapped" behind a log, pipe, tree, or other obstacle--often times your rider would flicker completely out of view.

Another minor detail is that when racing against the Pros, you can hear them commenting on the tricks you pull off, yet they started down the hill before you. How can they say "Wow! That was sick!" when they are supposed to be busy wiht their own run? Eyes in the back of their heads perhaps? :)

Yes folks, I realize these last 2 items are very petty, but I'm a picky guy.

Would I recommend this game? Of course! Even with the amount of dodgy menus and button problems mentioned, this is still an extremely "fun" game to play--the likes of which I have not seen since the days of "Skate or Die" on the NES.

Oh well. Those are just my thoughts. :)

l Maximus l
11-26-2001, 03:12 PM
LOL, VAN...

I know what you are talking about...you are very descriptive and I would agree with everything except for one...I would give the game atleast an 8.5 out of 10. In my personal opinion in regards to a snowboarding title, I give it a 9.5/10...it's by far the best Snowboarding title I have ever played.

I picked up this game last Wednesday and not a day goes by that I don't put in alteast 3-4 hours on this game. The time cruises by...have you noticed that? I guess the old saying flies here: Time flies when you are having fun :)

I agree, this is a definate must by...especially if you are a snowboarding or even a Tony Hawk fan.

Van...I will agree, those things are slightly irritating that you mentioned, but they are so minor compared to the entire package. One thing I like better about the functionality of this game better than PGR (I have this game, too...And, yes, I love it :D) is that when you want to switch songs, all you have to do is tap the white button and you are in action :) On PGR, it's not all that simple. In addition, what is nice is that the song continues even if you choose to retry your course...I like that, too :)

What do you think?

VAN
11-26-2001, 03:49 PM
Yeah, I dig the ability to change songs on the fly, however, there have been many instances when I've been trying to pull off some wicked flip/spin combo and I've inadvertantly changed the background song. :( Of course thats the controllres fault, and not the games....or my fault for not being more careful. :D

BTW, I played Amped last night from the time I bought it until 3:30am. It's infectiously fun...especially pulling off a sweet tailslide on the charlift cables. :) Problem is that I gotta be up for work at 6:00am, so I'm a bit tired right now :D

One thing I'll say for this game, it has made my thumb sore as hell. Thats a good thing, believe it or not. I was so involved with what the rider was doing that I was subconsciously pressing the grab buttons way to hard while simultaneously shouting "Yeaaaaah baby!!!!" aloud to myself. lol

God I need help.

jeah
11-26-2001, 03:59 PM
Amped is GREAT! I agree with Van in that there are some minor glitches in the menu speed, and graphics, however; these in no way deplete the value of the gameplay. I have spent a ton of hours already on this game and I have plenty more to go. The career mode is just plain awesome.

I really like the challenge this game offers too. Maybe i'm just not that good at it, but I think similar games such as Tony Hawk are much easier than amped.

l Maximus l
11-26-2001, 04:15 PM
Good points, gentlemen. I would like to add one slight bummer about the game...I wish you could play multi-player and actually have two or more people going at the same time instead of simply taking turns. But, then again, it is kinda nice to watch a buddy kick some ass instead of playing the entire time...I keep going back and forth on this.

Could you imagine using the system link cable and have two TVs and two XBoxes rockin' this game at the same time with two dudes? You could play "follow the leader" and perform some kick ass tricks using the same jumps...similar to when you are trying to challenge the pro. Or, is this option on the game? Quite honestly, I haven't been patient enough to scroll through everything because all I want to do is play right away :D

l Maximus l
11-26-2001, 05:26 PM
I forget off hand which Level I am on...it's the level that appears to be a giant powder bowl with a huge canyon if you work your way to the right! Man, the first time I played this (last night), I was in "aww"...the graphics are absolutely amazing on this course! Exceptional, if you will :)

I like how all the courses are different...and how you can even score some "Explore" points by running over some snowmen :D hehe...I'm kidding...this is not a major hi-lite...but, worth mentioning :D

I can't wait until I get off of work so I can play more. This game is extremely addictive...I think I even started saying the work "Sick" for the first time earlier today :eek:

:D

Max