PDA

View Full Version : Another cool feature Xbox will have

No Fear 23
01-27-2003, 04:34 PM
text to speech technology is being shiped out to game developers!!

Fonix Speech Solution Ships in Microsoft
Xbox Development Kit (XDK)

Microsoft reports a February ship date for Game Developers

SALT LAKE CITY, (January 24, 2002) -- Fonix Corporation (OTC Bulletin Board: FONX - News), a leading provider of speech interface solutions, announced today that Microsoft has reported the availability of the Fonix speech interface solution to be included in the Xbox development kit (XDK) for game developers.

Early this week, in a separate announcement, Microsoft reported, “The Microsoft February Xbox Development Kit (XDK) will be shipping with Fonix Speech Recognition Technology. Game developers for the Microsoft Xbox will now be able to easily add Fonix speaker-independent speech recognition to games. Fonix speaker-independent speech recognition allows the game developer to author multiple vocabulary sets and to select between various active vocabularies. These vocabularies are then used as voice activated commands during game play.”

“We are delighted with the release of the new XDK and the ability to showcase the Fonix speech interface in Xbox games,” said D. Lynn Shepherd, vice president of product development at Fonix. “We see our speech interface dramatically changing the way games are played. Combining the Fonix speech interface with the Microsoft Xbox platform will greatly enhance and simplify the creation of the next generation of user interaction within games.”

Link of proof
http://www.fonix.com/news/display_article.php?ArticleID=306

this will be awesome!

Cloud Strife
01-27-2003, 04:41 PM
Tight.:) That seems great to hear.

Kraft
01-27-2003, 04:42 PM
Wow, so we can have games like morrowind where everyone sounds like stephen hawking!!! Unless they've made some drastic improvments to voice synth, I'm not seeing what practical application this will have.

hiter101
01-27-2003, 05:01 PM
am i slow or something cuz i dont know what this means :confused:

illusionaz
01-27-2003, 05:28 PM
Wow this is complicated, but it will be good for developers... This is good news!

Xbox Owner
01-27-2003, 06:03 PM
sounds cool:cool:

No Fear 23
01-27-2003, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by hiter101
am i slow or something cuz i dont know what this means :confused:

read it at least 10 times and u'll get it :)

lol j/k

this kind of feature allows gamers to speak to characters in the game.

like this, when playing some RPG, and when u want to greet someone, u can just say hello, instead of pressing buttons to do that.

hope that helps :)

Cloud Strife
01-27-2003, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by irule23
read it at least 10 times and u'll get it :)

lol j/k

this kind of feature allows gamers to speak to characters in the game.

like this, when playing some RPG, and when u want to greet someone, u can just say hello, instead of pressing buttons to do that.

hope that helps :) I'd admit that it would be cool if there was a turn based RPG game on Xbox and I could be the young hero. It would be fun saying hello to townspeople.;)

No Fear 23
01-27-2003, 07:08 PM
i hope fable will have that feature, if it is not too late

EHWfedPres
01-27-2003, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Kraft-XBA
Wow, so we can have games like morrowind where everyone sounds like stephen hawking!!!

Ahaha, that was very mean yet quite funny. I remember Robin Williams did a joke about him once where he said he called that guy and when the answered the phone, the guy said "Hello, this is stephen hawking..." and robin said "Hey, i'd like to leave a message for stephen..." and then stephen goes "No, this is stephen hawking..."

It was pretty funny, unless im thinking about a different person, oh well.:D

J Dub
01-27-2003, 07:40 PM
LMFAO, that's hilarious.

Anyways, doesn't SOCOM have some sort of voice recognition thing like this?

No Fear 23
01-27-2003, 08:14 PM
i dunno, but i heard that N.U.D.E. was supposed to have that feature

Bravo_2
01-27-2003, 08:22 PM
i dunno, but i heard that N.U.D.E. was supposed to have that feature

If it ever makes it to the US.

Here's my take on this. We will not see this used for a long time. It is kind of like that life-like AI that was said to have been under development in some university about 8 months ago. You can "ooOOOoo" and "aaaaAAAaaahh" or maybe even "Woooow", but I think that is going overboard. What I am trying to say, is that we will not see this hit store shelves until it is code named and released on XBox Next Next Next.

Highlite23
01-27-2003, 09:01 PM
Nice find irule23, things can only keep getting better.;)

xboxman_1
01-27-2003, 09:06 PM
Anyways, doesn't SOCOM have some sort of voice recognition thing like this?

Ya, I believe that in SOCOM you can say basic things like hold, or stop, or go to point bravo, and your teammates will do it. At least thats what it supposedly was gonna do.

Dre
01-27-2003, 10:11 PM
text to speech technology is being shiped out to game developers!!

You got it the wrong way around. This technology lets the Xbox understand what you are saying, not make the Xbox speak text.

This is pretty cool, and like someone already mentioned, it would be SWEET in any single player RPG. I wonder how good the engine works... its gotta be pretty damn good though if MS is shipping it with XDK`s.

Insane Jester
01-28-2003, 07:51 AM
LOL sounds good at first but it will be another appz thrown to the back of the cupboard ...

No Fear 23
01-28-2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Dre
You got it the wrong way around. This technology lets the Xbox understand what you are saying, not make the Xbox speak text.

This is pretty cool, and like someone already mentioned, it would be SWEET in any single player RPG. I wonder how good the engine works... its gotta be pretty damn good though if MS is shipping it with XDK`s.

o well, ur right

LynxFX
01-28-2003, 02:52 PM
I think this would be perfect for RTS type games. It would be awesome to say "gather troups, patrol front lines, attack scouts, gather gold" or anything like that. Would make an RTS game playable on the xbox if they don't release a mouse and keypad.

yall
01-28-2003, 03:07 PM
this kind of tech has actually been around for some time with limited success. several years ago, certain laptop packages shipped with a voice recognition program that allowed the user to speak into a mic connected to the sound card, and it would convert your speech into text within a word document.

beyond that, several companies made applications that let you do just what was mentioned earlier in the post about RTS games. you could assign different voice commands to keyboard commands. it reportedly worked somewhat weel, but not well enough for it to sell very well.

socom reportly has about 50 voice commands. i haven't heard how well it works, but if it does work well enough to be useable, im sure you will see an xbox game utilizing the live voice communicator, that does something similar.