PDA

View Full Version : Unreal Championship Dev Chat

Bravo_2
01-28-2003, 07:58 PM
This deserves to go on General Discussion.

Please use the Submit a Question button located to the right to submit questions for our hosts.

Guide_Keith_MS says: Thanks for joining us today. 31 minutes & counting...Stay tooned :)
Guide_Keith_MS says: That is correct, we will answer questions in this top pane ;)
Guide_Keith_MS says: We now have 28 minutes and counting...
Guide_Keith_MS says: Please hold your questions until we begin in 27 minutes...the hosts are not here yet, so any questions submitted now, will not be visible to them. Bummer!
Guide_Keith_MS says: I have seen him a few times.
Guide_Keith_MS says: Today's rockin chat will begin in 21 minutes. Stick around!
Guide_Keith_MS says: The hosts are gathering and we are almost ready. Just 29 minutes to go.
Guide_Keith_MS says: So where is everyone joining us from today?
Guide_Keith_MS says: Magic! We will begin in 15 minutes.
Guide_Keith_MS says: We will begin today's chat in about 5 minutes. Please hold your questions until then. We when we are ready, you will use the Submit a Question button in the upper right to submit questions.
Guide_Ya-Bing says: Hey all, Welcome to the Xbox Live Unreal Developer Chat. Digital Extremes has been gracious enough to join us today from London, Ontario and Toronto.
Guide_Ya-Bing says: Please ask all questions using the Submit a Question button to the right.
Guide_Ya-Bing says: Please help keep the chat on topic. We reserve the right to boot you if you use profanity or are causing everyone discomfort. =)
Guide_Ya-Bing says: Let's say hi to our guests...Here's some background information about them, in case you missed the www.xbox.com/live info.
Guide_Ya-Bing says: Steve Sinclair - Lead Programmer
Guide_Ya-Bing says: Steve decided he wanted to make games when he first played Quake. He had only high school programming skills, so he spent a year in his basement writing stuff on his own.
Guide_Ya-Bing says: That got him started on the path that led to becoming lead programmer for Unreal Championship. He's been programming for a decade, nearly four years of which have been at Digital Extremes.
Guide_Ya-Bing says: When Steve has a tough bug to solve, he likes to prance around in his office to the tender refrains of Black Sabbath's "Iron Man."
Guide_Ya-Bing says: Dave Ewing - Lead Level Designer
Guide_Ya-Bing says: Fresh out of school five and a half years ago, Dave got a summer job at Digital Extremes. He fetched coffee, collected sound effects, and performed various other tasks.
Guide_Ya-Bing says: In fact, his nickname was "Useful Dave." When autumn rolled around, founder James Schmalz thought of Dave as so useful that he let him stay. He worked on sound effects on the first Unreal game,
Guide_Ya-Bing says: moved on to texture art, and then to level design. Dave confirms Steve's bug solving/prancing, but when asked to describe the prancing, says it's more like stomping.
Guide_Ya-Bing says: Pancho Eekels - Lead Designer
Guide_Ya-Bing says: Pancho has been an avid gamer from way back when he played games on the Amiga computer. He worked as a dental technician for a while, and when business got slow and his boss laid him off,
Guide_Ya-Bing says: he decided to devote himself to his true calling and do freelance animation. He’s been at Digital Extremes for six years now. His favorite cartoon character is Wile E. Coyote.
Guide_Ya-Bing says: James Schmalz - Founder and Creative Director
Guide_Ya-Bing says: James started programming at the age of 12. His first game was an Ultima clone called Sorcery that he created on an Apple IIe computer. He received a degree in mechanical engineering from the University of Waterloo,
Guide_Ya-Bing says: but made a name for himself creating shareware masterpieces like Epic Pinball. James founded Digital Extremes in 1993. Development on Unreal began in 1994, and the game was published by GT Interactive in 1998.
Guide_Ya-Bing says: Ok, that's all done. We're ready for questions!
DE_James says: Hey... nice to be here. Let the questions roll. We will try to get to as many of them as we can.
DE_Dave says: Hi all, I'm Dave Ewing, the lead level designer for Digital Extremes. Glad to be here!
DE_Steve says: Nice to see you guys - thanks for enduring the history lesson! You guys rocks, hopefully we can get to all your questions, and I can spread lies.
gizdogg in Xbox_Live asks: The downloads should be any time. The entire update is just being tested and is almost all ready to go.
DE_Dave says: Hey Starsfan11, UC took about 1.5 years to make
Starsfan11 in Xbox_Live asks: How long did it take to make the game?
DE_James says: As Dave said, it took about a year and a half.
DE_Steve says: I love Frostbite and the rocketzzzzz! A jugger is pure defensive goodness, and a good QB.
chumley in Xbox_Live asks: WHO IS UR FAVORITE CHARACTER/GUN? - my response
Latingangsta in Xbox_Live asks: how many people worked UC?
DE_James says: We had about 23 people at Digital Extremes working full time on UC.
Affliction in Xbox_Live asks: what was your biggest hurdle making UC for the XBOX?
DE_Steve says: The Live support! Lots of cool features to implement... bandwidth+voice was a challenge.
captian in Xbox_Live asks: whats goin to be on the 1st content download
Latingangsta in Xbox_Live asks: do you think you made the shock rifle to powerful?
DE_Dave says: There will be one CTF map in an outdoor Antalus-like setting and one DM map in a ocean laboratory setting
DE_Steve says: What will we include in the Update? Fixes for Gameplay and stat exploits, new maps as Dave said... stuff to keep the play at a competitive level.
MrSelfDestruct in Xbox_Live asks: When are you fixing the drop issue, when players get dropped from games in between matches
DE_Steve says: Looks like its resolved now, its in testing now to be sure
Guide_Keith_MS says: We are working on questions now! Fingers working fast ;) Please only submit each question once.
DE_James says: No. When a person focuses on playing with one specific weapon, they become extremely proficient with it, so it may feel like the most powerful weapon to that player. But we spent along time making all the pretty much equal.
loconick in Xbox_Live asks: De_Dave how long have you had this job and what other games did you help create?
DE_Dave says: Hey Loconick, I've been working at DE for 4.5 years now and have worked on Unreal, UT, and UT2k3 along with UC.
Crowlos in Xbox_Live asks: When could we play against pc players?
DE_Pancho says: I don't think this will happen anytime soon. There are too many things that we need to keep in mind for this to work.
MrSelfDestruct in Xbox_Live asks: YOU SAID THE DROP ISSUE IS FIXED. IS THAT IN THE PATCH, OR RIGHT NOW?
DE_Steve says: In the update... needs certification
Fluid in Xbox_Live asks: Will there be an option to turn off Anti Alias?
DE_Steve says: Off by default in the update.
Jinn in Xbox_Live asks: How do i make a dedicated server for Xbox live / UC?
DE_James says: There is an option when you create a Live game to make it dedicated.
uc in Xbox_Live asks: what are youre gamertags?
JAPZERO in Xbox_Live asks: hey DE_Steve do you see a sequel to unreal in xbox's future
DE_Steve says: That'd be sweet
DE_James says: Mine is DigitalPariah... if you see me, feel free to kill me.
[DBZ]FrayZ in Xbox_Live asks: Quicker Framerates avialable?
DE_Steve says: In the update, yes
Vyrticl in Xbox_Live asks: Are you planning on adding vehicles to UC through a download?
REDMAN_OC in Xbox_Live asks: Will the Tag gun clitch be takin care of?
DE_Pancho says: Although at first we wanted to have vehicles in the game, this created too many issues that would take the focus from the real work that needed to be done on the game.
DE_Steve says: Yep
smokedog420 in Xbox_Live asks: are there going to be any non AA(auto aim)X servers added??
DE_Steve says: Might be nice, we've improved this a bit for you guys, so you can see what hosts have AA off, and made sure any exploits were removed
Oliewud in Xbox_Live asks: WILL U BE ABLE TO ENABLE OR DISABLE AUTO-AIM WHEN HOSTING A SERVER??
DE_Steve says: If you AA is off in your profile, the server will be noAA.

Bravo_2
01-28-2003, 08:00 PM
NaRkOtiK in Xbox_Live asks: will the glitch on CTF - MAUL be taken care of its a major glitch which u can go under the board?
DE_Dave says: Hey NaRkOtiK, yes that glitch is taken care of in the upcoming update.
DE_Steve says: The really cool thing we've done is eliminate the really annoying load just to find out the server is full - this is fixed in the update.
[FXB]Jester in Xbox_Live asks: Pancho, are you planning on making any new gametypes like Greed available for Download?
DE_Pancho says: There will be no new gametypes for UC. This would be a crazy challenge. :)
bob in Xbox_Live asks: My birthday passed this December, and I'm considering buying Xbox Live and UC with the remainder of my money. A lot of people are telling me just to get UT2003. Should I spend more money and get UC and Live, or just get UT2003?
DE_James says: Even if you don't get UC, Xbox Live rocks,and will be even more fun as more games come out. As for UC versus UT2003, it comes down to your preferences. Check out the UT2003 demo and see if you can play UC on a friends Xbox or at the store and see which
Guide_Ya-Bing says: Please do not submit questions more than once.
DE_Steve says: So before you load the server's map it reserves a spot for you.
chumley in Xbox_Live asks: WHAT DO U GUYS LIKE TO EAT
DE_James says: I'm eating sushi right now.
MrSelfDestruct in Xbox_Live asks: IS THE PATCH GOING TO BE A MANDATORY UPDATE?
DE_Steve says: Yes
DE_James says: and buttered bacon... mmmmm bacon.
Mecrob in Xbox_Live asks: why are you avoiding hard questions?
DE_Steve says: Which?
[BRO]TheEpic in Xbox_Live asks: hard questions like lightning gun!!
DE_Steve says: Lightning rocks
DE_Steve says: We're looking at reducing the autoaim on it... if you really want hardc0re, host no Auto aim...
brian in Xbox_Live asks: IS there any plan for a custom soundtrack option download so that we can listen to our own music while playing?
syko in Xbox_Live asks: Can you really kill that cow in Flux?
DE_Steve says: sorry no
DE_Dave says: Hehe... nope, he's just an innocent bystander :)
REDMAN_OC in Xbox_Live asks: Will the Ripper be available for UC?
DE_James says: The ripper was taken out because it was a very 'spammy' weapon. Too many kills were achieved by randomness. So, we took it out because of that.
[DBZ]FrayZ in Xbox_Live asks: RELEASE DATE ON PATCH?....my moms is fat
DE_Steve says: That's ok, she look healthy... soon - the update needs to cert!
TDOT in Xbox_Live asks: Who decided to make the Frozen Cow?? I think thats sikk!
DE_Pancho says: Hehehe I like frozen cows! It is an inside joke that one day will be revealed to the masses. Stay tuned.
[SR]Legend in Xbox_Live asks: IS THERE GONNA BE AN OPTION FOR aa OFF IN OPTIMATCH???
DE_Steve says: Sorry, don't think this will happen - the server will have a special indicator tho.
|TAB|OBSOLETE in Xbox_Live asks: Will you add clan support? Like being able to enter in a clan tag, instead of having to make to make a new profile?
DE_Steve says: Wish we could, the profile name works tho - we're only addressing really critical stuff.
MrSelfDestruct in Xbox_Live asks: you said soon on the patch....how soon...days, weeks, months?
DE_Steve says: Yes
DE_Steve says: sorry - if I even suggest a time, some will consider it a guarantee
Oliewud in Xbox_Live asks: Will there be anymore Updates/Content availible after this one??
DE_James says: We have a second one in the works. After that we want to see how the community responds and what new things they would like to see added.
Tekneek in Xbox_Live asks: What is the flying ram in the air in the pyramid BR level about?
DE_Pancho says: It's all about putting the fun in the game. It's a symbol. And it's supposed to be a goat actually. If you listen carefully, you can hear him scream.
starfox182 in Xbox_Live asks: Did you fix all the known glitches?
starfox182 in Xbox_Live asks: Did you fix all the known glitches
DE_James says: yes
DE_Steve says: Yes all the known ones.
Latingangsta in Xbox_Live asks: ARE YOU MAD CAUSE YOUR MISSING AMERICAN IDOL FOR THIS?
DE_Pancho says: So MAD!!
Mecrob in Xbox_Live asks: my money spends just like a pc gamer i fell im geting short changed
DE_Steve says: What?
GroverPhonic in Xbox_Live asks: Is it true that Digital Extremes can beat Epic Games at every game ?
DE_James says: I'm sure that is probably true.
GroverPhonic in Xbox_Live asks: Is it true that Digital Extremes can beat Epic Games at every game ?
DE_Pancho says: YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Machine in Xbox_Live asks: Are you at home or at the company?
DE_James says: We are always at work.
JAPZERO in Xbox_Live asks: what about the translocator glitch where it can stay on you or follow behind you
DE_Pancho says: Fixed! :)
[DBZ]FrayZ in Xbox_Live asks: Which glitches did you fix that u know??.....One time at bandcamp....
DE_Steve says: Errr... sorry about bandcamp, seek counseling - We fixed all the ones from the forum and the MANY emails we got (many from people who 'hate' me).
xboxermike in Xbox_Live asks: what do you think makes Canadian game developers so creative other than pure Canuck talent :)
DE_James says: Beer and cold winters.
Kaos in Xbox_Live asks: Why are you guys awnsering Stupid Questions
DE_James says: Why do men climb mountains?
lrballa in Xbox_Live asks: Most levels are small. Will there ever be outside levels?
MadBox in Xbox_Live asks: Around how much will you start charging for the DL content?
DE_Steve says: Character downloads - none yet, but its not impossible (its just really really hard)...
DE_Pancho says: No charge!
DE_Dave says: Hey Irballa, yeah the CTF level that will very soon be available for download is a big outside level (along with several maps already ingame, like Lava Giant and Antalus).
WikedxKlown in Xbox_Live asks: What games do you guys play besides (ofcourse) Unreal?
DE_James says: Mech Assault and Asheron's Call 2.

Bravo_2
01-28-2003, 08:08 PM
Latingangsta in Xbox_Live asks: WHAT WILL HAPPEN WITH THE RANKINGS? WILL THEY BE RESEST?
DE_Pancho says: Still being decided.
rbdavis in Xbox_Live asks: What do you think of the Xbox controller?
DE_Steve says: Rocks, quite possibly the best xbox controller I've ever used that came with the console.
WikedxKlown in Xbox_Live asks: Controller S? Or Regular?
Cobra848 in Xbox_Live asks: How many designers does it take to scew in a light bulb?
DE_Steve says: 3, one to write the light bulb docs, 1 to place it near the health and the other to disagree completely... I'm so funny.
DE_James says: S of course.
s3rgi0 in Xbox_Live asks: Don't you hate the small controller?
DE_Steve says: Rocks for DOA3
loconick in Xbox_Live asks: Will u be making any other game besides the unreal series?
DE_James says: Definitely... they are in the works as we speak.
Kaos in Xbox_Live asks: Why Dont you Guys Stop acting like NEWBS and awnser some real questions
kreedskulls in Xbox_Live asks: What was used for the AI
DE_Steve says: don't ask the same question repeatedly ******
Mecrob in Xbox_Live asks: please answer you asked what hard question you were avoiding and you wont ansrer why ther are maps and chars not availble for xbox that re for PC
DE_Dave says: Hey Mecrob. There were some maps in UT2k3 that didn't translate well to console play. On the other side, there were great maps like Osiris, Smote, and Frigid that ARE in UC and not in UT2k3.
DeathKnight in Xbox_Live asks: What other games are u making?
DE_Steve says: Boring, nonviolent ones about moose... well one moose.
TDOT in Xbox_Live asks: Dont you agree that your fat?
DE_Steve says: I do
chumley in Xbox_Live asks: THESE GUYS ARE STUPID, EH
DE_Steve says: Some
kreedskulls in Xbox_Live asks: What was used for the AI
DE_Pancho says: Steve Polge was responsible for the AI code in UC.
loconick in Xbox_Live asks: How old is everyone there?
Mecrob in Xbox_Live asks: i know you lowed the price now is that because you goudged al the loyal fans
DE_Steve says: Al?
DE_James says: The average age is around 26
mcsevilclone in Xbox_Live asks: when will u anwser one of my questions
DE_Steve says: Yes, but only one... this one.
chumley in Xbox_Live asks: WHOS THE FUNNIEST ONE OF THE GROUP
DE_Steve says: ME! Isn't it obvious
WikedxKlown in Xbox_Live asks: Will we see any more gothic style maps such as Molten?
mcsevilclone in Xbox_Live asks: you have got to be kidding
DE_Steve says: no
DE_Dave says: Yes, one for sure, WickedxKlown.
|ISK|Cliff in Xbox_Live asks: Steve will you marry me? Please!
DE_Steve says: Only if you ask a cool question
rbdavis in Xbox_Live asks: How many copies of UC have been sold?
DE_Steve says: More! Isn't your copy wearing out?
loconick in Xbox_Live asks: How many years of college do u need to become a game creator
DE_James says: It depends. A college degree will help get you in the door. It's becoming more rare that people are hired without one.
smokedog420 in Xbox_Live asks: could there be an option to watch on going clan wars?
DE_Steve says: Other than joining, nope.
Kaos in Xbox_Live asks: Why Dont you Guys Stop acting like NEWBS and awnser some real questions
DE_Steve says: Yes sir!
WikedxKlown in Xbox_Live asks: Why cant we auto dodge with the joystick?
DE_Pancho says: Because too many people during testing did this by accident, since it is pretty sensitive.
Jagger in Xbox_Live asks: When will the first content download be available ?(the exact date) and what will it be?
DE_James says: We don't have control over the exact date. But it should be within weeks.
Machine in Xbox_Live asks: What about being able to talk with all 16 players or however many at the same time? Please
DE_Steve says: Sorry the bandwidth usage would kill the game play.
[FXB]Jester in Xbox_Live asks: Approximately how long does it take you guys to do a good fairly big map?
DE_Dave says: Hey Jester. It really depends. Some go really fast and seem to be very easy to make, but others I'll struggle with and end up going through several revolutions. The longest part about making any map is the final stages where you have to clean up bugs a
DE_Dave says: and make it as polished as possible.
Machine in Xbox_Live asks: Will there be any UC xboxlive tourneys soon?
TommyBoyz8 in Xbox_Live asks: With the capabilities of broadband you couldn't even have 6 or 8 players talk together?
DE_Steve says: Nope - not if these players can fire miniguns and jump and run at 40 mphs
DE_James says: We would love to see some! No promises, but it's being discussed.
kreedskulls in Xbox_Live asks: (STEVE) one Deveoper to Another YOU ARE A DUMB ASS Person With a Bad Attitude
DE_Steve says: Thanks, but that was not a question.
Mecrob in Xbox_Live asks: please answer you asked what hard question you were avoiding and you wont ansrer why ther are maps and chars not availble for xbox that re for PC
DE_Pancho says: Okay! These models were made too late during development. Unlike PC development, any changes that get made near the end are carefully considered. So, some models did not make it. Some maps were simply too big to be included in UC memory wise.
ieatfood in Xbox_Live asks: why do the players run like a million mph??
DE_James says: We messed around with the speed a lot. It's true that it's unrealistically fast, but we wanted a very fast pace for this game. We felt it became much more fun when we set it to the current speed.
[SR]Legend in Xbox_Live asks: dont you think robots jump a little tooo high??
DE_James says: No, not at all. We felt it was a good tradeoff.
Phlashman in Xbox_Live asks: Thanks for the best Xbox live game by the way
DE_Steve says: Thanks!
MadBox in Xbox_Live asks: How often do you play unreal in LIVE?
DE_Pancho says: Pretty often, I like to hear what people say and experience during the game.

Bravo_2
01-28-2003, 08:09 PM
syko in Xbox_Live asks: so...will u or wont u tell us your gamertag in UC?
DE_Pancho says: Oh no.. hehehe...
MonoxBoogie in Xbox_Live asks: I have hard there will be a patch for UC. Lots of people believe the game is unfinished, and has a poop framerate. I play XBOX to get around patches for computers. I don't like buying unfinished games. Whats the deal?
DE_James says: Online games will always need an updating system. Hacks and other security issues will need fixing. In addition to this, we have always updated our games in the past. THIS IS A GREAT thing for gamers. Further balancing, improvements, new content, etc.
DE_James says: These are things that as a gamer, I would want to see. I stress that this is no excuse for a rushed, buggy game and Microsoft's certification process simply does not allow for those games to get released.
ToAsTeD69 in Xbox_Live asks: will you chrage for downloadable contenet not patch`s?
DE_Steve says: No charge!
shawnk00 in Xbox_Live asks: How many hours do you guys have to work a week?
DE_James says: During the finishing of UC, the team was working around 90 hours a week. During normal development we probably average 60 hours a week each.
PoetSaskia in Xbox_Live asks: Please don't ignore me? What gives with the UC trailer? Where is inferno? How many new maps are in the works?
DE_Dave says: Sorry, the questions are coming a million at a time :). Inferno will be available for content download along with 3 other very cool maps.
Emil in Xbox_Live asks: Will the patch be server side or client based?
DE_Steve says: It updates when you connect to live - all consoles.
MrSelfDestruct in Xbox_Live asks: does turning of Auto-Aliasing make the game look worse graphically?
DE_Steve says: Not in our opinion - the pace of the game - but it can be reactivated.
loconick in Xbox_Live asks: Please dont ignore this. is there a computer sorting the questions?
DE_James says: no
[SR]Legend in Xbox_Live asks: why did u guys decided to put autoaim in the game???
DE_Pancho says: We decided to put this in because for casual gamers it is pretty tough to hit anyone without it. In fact for most people it will get tedious. (Testing proved this) For the l33t gamers like most of you this is a mere annoyance that is being fixed
Cobra848 in Xbox_Live asks: Dave, what maps did you design?
DE_Dave says: I am responsible for DM-Antalus, DM-Osiris2, CTF-Orbital2, BR-Kalendra, and part of BR-Endagra.
Fluid in Xbox_Live asks: Will the Xservers have Anti Aliasing turned off by default?
DE_Steve says: Yep
chumley in Xbox_Live asks: whos responsible for lava giant 2 that rules
DE_Pancho says: That would be me.. I am glad you like it.
[BRO]TheEpic in Xbox_Live asks: To clarify: Will the Xservers have Anti Aliasing turned off by default? - Antialiasing is the user's preference, not the server.
loconick in Xbox_Live asks: Your guys are cool, do u have any seceret projects in the works?
DE_James says: Of course.
Merek in Xbox_Live asks: what will you guys do with the ranking system?
DE_Steve says: More like a 'chess' rating scheme where your point awards are based on your opponents.
Mister in Xbox_Live asks: Tell us a secret!please
DE_Steve says: Look for a ice-cow
Defcon1 in Xbox_Live asks: What is anti-aliasing?
DE_James says: It smooths out the image on the TV slightly, so you don't see as many 'jaggies'.
MrSelfDestruct in Xbox_Live asks: why dont you make all maps playable in deathmatch?
DE_Pancho says: Because they don't all play good in different game modes for which they were designed.
Fluid in Xbox_Live asks: Will you consider giving efficiency more revelence in the rankings system?
DE_Steve says: Yep.
rbdavis in Xbox_Live asks: Are we a pain in the ass?
DE_James says: Definitely not.
shawnk00 in Xbox_Live asks: Aren't you guys worried about Halo 2's release...(i think that beats unreal)
DE_James says: No, It's going to rock.
[DBZ]FrayZ in Xbox_Live asks: How about a way to sort by efficiancy or kill/death ratio or points?
DE_Steve says: Sorry, don't think this will get in.
Mecrob in Xbox_Live asks: i hope i am a pain in the ass i want answers
loconick in Xbox_Live asks: Another question, Will there be new weapons when the download content
DE_Pancho says: :) We can take it. What question was this? Many questions are flooding in. :)
DE_James says: Not in the next download. Perhaps in the future though.
VeN0M_V in Xbox_Live asks: do you think Auto Aim with the Lightning Gun is 'cheap?'
DE_James says: No, the Lightning Gun is a favorite weapon of many people and requires a minute amount of auto aim to be useful. We feel it's not too overpowering or too weak.
Emil in Xbox_Live asks: [BRO]ddolak - nothing to announce at E3 yet - some of us will attend.
DE_Steve says: retry:[BRO]ddolak
|ISK|Cliff in Xbox_Live asks: Pancho my name is cliff, did any one make fun of your name when you grew up? I mean like the rain jacket you know. People made fun of me because my name is a landform
DE_Pancho says: HAHAHAHAHA.. sorry.
Merek in Xbox_Live asks: whats your favorite gun? mines the mini gun =)
DE_James says: Mine is the Lightning Gun.
Merek in Xbox_Live asks: whats your favorite gun? mines the mini gun =)
PoetSaskia in Xbox_Live asks: Don't you want to return the flak cannon to at least some of its former glory by widening the spread? Please?
DE_Steve says: Have you tried shooting the alt? muahah
DE_Pancho says: RL! Love the locking on..
[DBZ]FrayZ in Xbox_Live asks: How about editing Arena Mutator to a checklist of certain guns?
DE_Steve says: Won't happen - it was like this but had wierd interactions with other mutators so it got simplified.
loconick in Xbox_Live asks: Why is dave getting all the questions when james created the game?
DE_Pancho says: Yeah, why is that??
Darksector in Xbox_Live asks: *cough* we need DarkSector Info *cough*
DE_James says: Soon.... soon.
Blakeman in Xbox_Live asks: What is the best race?
DE_Steve says: Egyptians - lots of adrenaline!
DE_Steve says: debatable tho
loconick in Xbox_Live asks: Why is dave getting all the questions when james created the game?
DE_James says: I certainly did not create the game. I had but a small part in it.
smokedog420 in Xbox_Live asks: are you guys working on a clan rating system?? (I'd pat extra for clan options!!!)
DE_Steve says: Not currently (sorry dude)
HeeroYuy in Xbox_Live asks: Do you plan on making player skin customizeable or making a custom character?
DE_Pancho says: No, that is not in our current plans. It would be pretty complicated.
Tekneek in Xbox_Live asks: Did you work with CliffyB during the development of UC?
DE_James says: Not much.
John in Xbox_Live asks: Are there plans for additional downloadable content beyond the upcoming patch?
DE_Pancho says: yep
Machine in Xbox_Live asks: Can you patch the profile so you can add symbols to your name?
DE_Steve says: No - but at least its not forced to your gamertag!
syko in Xbox_Live asks: are you still getting a million questions a minute?
DE_James says: Our apologies, but yes, a million questions are whizzing by. We can't get them all.
WikedxKlown in Xbox_Live asks: Do you guys plan on holding any more of these chat sessions?
DE_Steve says: Definately maybe
brian in Xbox_Live asks: Any plan on making a downloadable level editor liek the one in timesplittters?
DE_Dave says: No, sorry. Map editing UC levels is much more complicated and would be insanely difficult to do with a controller.
Emil in Xbox_Live asks: I am 18 years old. What do I need to do in order to have a job like you guys?
DE_Pancho says: We hear this question many times! Make sure you have something to show to developers that you're applying to. Blow them away with your stuff.
The_Idol in Xbox_Live asks: I heard on the forums that you placed a picture of Adolf Hitler in the map Grim Smote. Is this true?
DE_James says: Of course not.
Cobra848 in Xbox_Live asks: Do you like your jobs?
DE_Steve says: Love it - especially the chats.
TyPhox in Xbox_Live asks: I heard a lot about an ice cow or goats as easter eggs but i never saw them! can you tell me where they are, or at least one?
DE_Pancho says: Alright, so far the following is known: Flux2 has the cow. Eye Of Jahan has a goat.
rbdavis in Xbox_Live asks: When would I ever want a shield gun affinity?
DE_Steve says: A runner in ctf - gen mo kai
Bravo in Xbox_Live asks: Do we make you feel special?
DE_Pancho says: It makes us all warm and fuzzy inside.
WikedxKlown in Xbox_Live asks: What do you guys think of the UC comunity so far?
DE_Pancho says: Some pretty cool people! It is wild to see this amount of interest in the game.

Bravo_2
01-28-2003, 08:10 PM
John in Xbox_Live asks: How many hours a day did you guys spend at work while developing UC?
DE_Steve says: 12-16 hour days for the last several months of its development.
Bravo in Xbox_Live asks: Was the creation of UC stressful?
DE_James says: It was an extremely intense, stressful and difficult process. But totally worth it in the end.
Theclaw624 in Xbox_Live asks: Are you gonna add on to any levels to make them bigger and more suitable for any game type?
DE_Pancho says: This can't be done. It would mean a new map.
bigmrjohn in Xbox_Live asks: did you work on the original unreal?
DE_Pancho says: Yep, Dave, James and me did.
bigmrjohn in Xbox_Live asks: did you work on the original unreal?
DE_James says: Yes, many members of the DE team worked on the original Unreal.
DE_James says: And Everton, MikeL, DanS.
|ISK|Cliff in Xbox_Live asks: Why are you wasting your time in the chat instead of getting the patch certified so we can play in peace again! Get to work!
DE_Pancho says: Hehehehe. Don't worry, in the background there all these gnomes hard at work.
DE_Pancho says: Keep moving!
Nil8r in Xbox_Live asks: What's the best advice you could give to a new player of UC?
DE_Pancho says: Keep moving.. ooops
TUPAC187 in Xbox_Live asks: at E3 are you guys gonna show a new title?
DE_James says: We will be announcing our new game around that time.
Mecrob in Xbox_Live asks: you going to make the Xbox owners pay more for lvls?
DE_Pancho says: No way.. That sucks!
Bravo in Xbox_Live asks: Were you inspired by anything to make some maps?
DE_Dave says: BR-Kalendra was inspired by a typical drive into work for me way up here ;)
Emil in Xbox_Live asks: Do you guys have lives outside of work? :)
DE_Pancho says: Yep we do.. We party all night long.
TUPAC187 in Xbox_Live asks: Again - I apologize to those who asked legit questions and haven't seen answers... I wish I had a crap filter for the questions...
Jinn in Xbox_Live asks: Don't ignore me%%%%% What was some of the most difficult chanleges programing this game
DE_James says: I won't ignore you. Meeting the deadlines to hit Xbox Live launch was extremely challenging for the programmer. They had to put in some incredibly long work weeks to get it done.
DE_Steve says: Again - I apologize to those who asked legit questions and haven't seen answers... I wish I had a crap filter for the questions...
rbdavis in Xbox_Live asks: In the future, what is the best way to submit feedback?
DE_Pancho says: The forums!!
syko in Xbox_Live asks: do you actually read the forums?
DE_Pancho says: We read all the main forums!
[AOA]ShaknBake in Xbox_Live asks: even though i already said this i am just makin sure u get it WILL THERE BE NE OFFICAIL XBOX UNREAL CHAMPIONSHIP TOURNAMENTS?
DE_Steve says: Nothing is confirmed - this would rock.
Bravo in Xbox_Live asks: How often do you read the feedback in forums?
Bravo in Xbox_Live asks: Do you go around to random forums and look for feedback? Or should users post on the Official Forums?
DE_Pancho says: If you feel like giving us some serious feedback send it to us directly. Then we will be able to read it for sure.
DE_Dave says: Quite often! In fact several issues that will be addressed in the upcoming update were issues found from keeping up with the forums.
Bravo in Xbox_Live asks: How many ideas have you gotten from forum feedback?
DE_James says: We go in there from time to time to see what people are saying so we can improve the game in the future and tailor our downloadable content to what the fans would like to see. So we have gotten lots of ideas. Keep'em coming.
Nil8r in Xbox_Live asks: Do you see Unreal hitting the Europe or Japan markets when Live launches there?
DE_Steve says: Its already out in Europe - so when Live comes to Europe you're all set. Not 100% on Japan right now.
[AOA]ShaknBake in Xbox_Live asks: srry i git disconnected what did u say to this questron WILL THERE BE NE OFFICAIL XBOX UNREAL CHAMPIONSHIP TOURNAMENTS?
DE_James says: We would love to see them, but it's not up to DE to decide that. We are pressing for it to happen though.
[DP]HULK in Xbox_Live asks: Will shock rifle be toned down along with lightning gun when auto aim is fixed?
DE_Pancho says: It will affect all weapons
syko in Xbox_Live asks: did you steal my chess rating idea?
DE_Steve says: Yes, although the diagonal movement of the queen is all mine.
Yeah in Xbox_Live asks: Could you please please please please please incoperate a llama in downloadable content?!?! PLEASE! At least respond please!
DE_Pancho says: Cool idea!
Loyalty in Xbox_Live asks: What machines did you develope UC on? Alienware?
DE_James says: We have a local company custom make our machines to our specific needs. Plug here for Superior Computer in London Ontario. They are great to us!
Cliff|ISK| in Xbox_Live asks: Do you like Xbox Live more than the pc online?
DE_James says: Personally, I do. I think Live has an incredible future ahead.
DE_Steve says: Will the shield gun glitch be fixed?
DE_Steve says: We're looking at this one now.
Fluid in Xbox_Live asks: I'd really like an answer to this one, it bugs a lot of people - will there be something done about "respawn camping"?
DE_Pancho says: No sorry. Not yet anyways.
Emil in Xbox_Live asks: After this chat, are you guys gonna go play some UC? ;)
DE_Pancho says: Nope, we have a party to go to.
TUPAC187 in Xbox_Live asks: Do you guys have rivals/game devolpers you can't stand?
DE_James says: We love everyone.
chumley in Xbox_Live asks: COME ON U HATE BUNGIE DON'T U
DE_Pancho says: No way, they rock!
Fluid in Xbox_Live asks: I'd really like an answer to this one, it bugs a lot of people - will there be something done about "respawn camping"?
DE_Steve says: Team work fixes this
Mister in Xbox_Live asks: why dont you guys do a megadeathmatch where it is just a plain field with nothing to use cover?
DE_Steve says: Nothing like that in the works!
Latingangsta in Xbox_Live asks: ARE YOU BEING PAID FOR THIS?
Mister in Xbox_Live asks: why dont you guys do a megadeathmatch where it is just a plain field with nothing to use cover?
DE_Pancho says: I wish.
DE_James says: That might not be too fun.
Guide_Ya-Bing says: Well, it looks like we've run out of time for today's Xbox Live Community Chat. Thanks for coming and asking your questions (some quality, some well...) - we hope you got some good answers.
Guide_Ya-Bing says: Please understand that we can't get to every question, but let's all thank the DE guys for trying their hardest to do just that. we can't get to every question, but let's all thank the DE guys for trying their hardest to do just that.
Guide_Ya-Bing says: We'll have a transcript posted on http://www.xbox.com/live soon, fixed up so you can read it more easily.
Guide_Ya-Bing says: (most likely tomorrow)
DE_James says: Thanks everyone! There was probably 2000 questions that went through and we apologize for missing many of the good ones. It was a fun chat.
Guide_Ya-Bing says: Thanks again for coming to the chat and as always, thanks for playing Xbox Live.

Bravo_2
01-28-2003, 08:18 PM
Guide_Ya-Bing says: Thanks again for coming to the chat and as always, thanks for playing Xbox Live.
DE_Pancho says: Yeah guys, thanks for coming out! Out of the many questions, I hope we did answer some of the good ones.. Have a nice evening/day.
DE_Steve says: Chill freaks!
DE_Steve says: I mean - thanks for coming
Kyle in Xbox_Live asks: why didnt you answer any of my 20 questions? Im going ask you on the uC board on your site
DE_Steve says: Sorry man - I got time for a few more
MeGa-OC in Xbox_Live asks: why is Jana sooo mean?
DE_Steve says: Isn't it obvious?
DE_Dave says: Thanks for you interest! Bye all!
DE_Dave says: err... your interest
VeN0M_V in Xbox_Live asks: what happened to the almighty Redeemer!!
DE_Steve says: Hmmm... I guess the TAG doesn't do it for you?
PoetSaskia in Xbox_Live asks: Will you be converting UT2003 user mods for us to play?
DE_Pancho says: I doubt that this will happen.. Again, these things require a massive amount of effort.
SniperSpy in Xbox_Live asks: Any stuff in the game to unlock?
DE_Steve says: Only a few secrets - also, you can unlock your own potential to kick ass.
DE_Dave says: Ooo... one last question:
GroverPhonic in Xbox_Live asks: Have you ever though of addin a level and a gametype ,kinda like a virtual chat room.. so no weapons.. but just some nice layouts ( like a stripclub ).. for lonely the gamers out there
DE_Dave says: in the works!!
xiRate in Xbox_Live asks: whats up with the reconnection?
DE_Steve says: Full servers and connection issues should be a lot better in the update.
Emil in Xbox_Live asks: Is the party you're going to right now going to have strippers?
DE_Pancho says: I freakin hope so!!
DrunkAss in Xbox_Live asks: let me say something
DE_James says: ok
Sheeyt in Xbox_Live asks: What is being done to make sure teams stay balanced and fair?
Sheeyt in Xbox_Live asks: What is being done to make sure teams stay balanced and fair?
DE_Steve says: The update makes this alot better - plus it warns all players the teams are imbalanced, with a message on the scoreboard too.
DE_Pancho says: You'll see after the update. :)
cenobite in Xbox_Live asks: any chance reedemeer gonna be added??? come on answer!!
DE_Pancho says: lol.. Steve is faster.. Crazy coders.
DE_Steve says: Nope, don't think so
chumley in Xbox_Live asks: PLEASE SAY BYE TO ME
DE_James says: See ya later Chumley!
REDMAN_DC in Xbox_Live asks: Are you guys anti REDMAN?
DE_Steve says: Only a few of us are.
REDMAN_DC in Xbox_Live asks: Will you guys bann me from all the DE servers?
DE_Pancho says: If that makes you happy, sure.
VeN0M_V in Xbox_Live asks: the V (Violators) clan would like to give a shout out to DE for making a great game!!11!
DE_James says: V(Violators) Rule! Thanks man.
DE_Steve says: Thanks for playing!
TheNut in Xbox_Live asks: answer 1 of my questions please
DE_Steve says: Done!
Cliff|ISK| in Xbox_Live asks: I want you sex by george michaels is a good song. What do you think?
DE_Steve says: Kick feature - I would love it too, don't think this will happen though.
DE_Pancho says: If you think so...
loconick in Xbox_Live asks: Can u say bye to me a final request?
DE_James says: Bye Logonick.
Kyle in Xbox_Live asks: Will there be any new characters in the future?
DE_Steve says: Can only say 'maybe'... it has some complicating factors tho.
loconick in Xbox_Live asks: Logonick!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
DE_James says: Oh.. man. Sorry, Loconick. My bad.
DE_Pancho says: Well, guys see you later. Have a good one.

VeNoMiZA
01-28-2003, 08:20 PM
tooo much shat to read sounds uninteresting....

Bravo_2
01-28-2003, 08:24 PM
Some of the Q&A's are out of order (by a line or two). It all depends on how fast they replied. It is a good read. Tomorrow, they will have an easier version; but I felt that you guys deserved it right now :)

Edit: Bleh, I am too lazy to put the rest in bold. It took me about 20 minutes to do 2 of them...

No Fear 23
01-28-2003, 09:15 PM
who would read that much?

Bravo_2
01-28-2003, 09:33 PM
You tell me.

LynxFX
01-28-2003, 11:48 PM
You really need to put a link to the source. Usually chats like this are copyrighted by the host of the chat. I'm pretty sure this is no exception.

Bravo_2
01-29-2003, 03:18 PM
They will have a cleaner transctipt of it today. I was there, and besides, some of my questions were asked, so some of my info is in there. It would be impossible to link it anyways.
There is no copyrighted info...

Yannie Boy
01-29-2003, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by irule23
who would read that much?

i read it ALL

Bravo_2
01-29-2003, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Chupacabra
i read it ALL

Thank you, you made this worth-while, lol.

Young_Fledgling
01-30-2003, 12:44 AM
i also read it ALL

cannot wait for the patch

too bad no vehicles :(

Unreal
01-30-2003, 04:48 AM
I dont remember seeing an OXM demo disc option mentioned as a means to get the patch to non XBL users. They better or else :mad: :D

JJaX
01-30-2003, 08:32 AM
[DBZ]FrayZ in Xbox_Live asks: Quicker Framerates avialable?

MonoxBoogie in Xbox_Live asks: I have hard there will be a patch for UC. Lots of people believe the game is unfinished, and has a poop framerate

What frame rate problem? YuK! YuK! YuK! YuK! Uh Derrrr! :rolleyes:

Ok but for real, if they did indeed fix the crappy laughable frame rate ill probably pick UC up again just to kick a lot of your asses.

LTM360
01-30-2003, 07:51 PM
Someone brought up tournaments...NFL Fever 2003 ran on the top 64 players...How would this work? All the top 100 players in DM cheat? Nobody cheats in survival but like the top 3 lol. Im like #22

PapaSKooT
01-30-2003, 08:42 PM
I read it all too :D

GroverPhonic in Xbox_Live asks: Have you ever though of addin a level and a gametype ,kinda like a virtual chat room.. so no weapons.. but just some nice layouts ( like a stripclub ).. for lonely the gamers out there
DE_Dave says: in the works!!

sounds pretty cool... the UC Lounge :p

thunder
02-01-2003, 07:04 AM
i can't stand the way the text in the post is formatted so i would never read it you lose your place to often it's annoying

Hitman101
02-01-2003, 07:19 AM
Link to the complete and Formated Transcript of the Dev Chat here (http://www.xbox.com/LIVE/community/chats/unreal-championship-chat.htm).