PDA

View Full Version : Shenmue update!! Wooo!

XboxGamers
01-28-2003, 09:16 PM
:Dhttp://ourworld.cs.com/XboxRox733/myhomepage/onlyonxbox.jpg

http://www.begn.be/screenshots/1vMJkGK7jQyY-1_thumb.png

http://www.begn.be/content/viewItem.php?i=256

By Heidi Kemps (Zero-chan) and Hasan Ali Almaci. (Almaci)

Very special thanks to Taku Kihara (AM2 PR team) and Shin Ishikawa(ShenMue2 Xbox team leader) for taking the time to talk with us.

BeGN: First of all we would like to congratulate you on a great year and wish you the best for the new year.

A: Thank you.

Q: What kind of games do you enjoy playing yourself?A: I like action games like Mario or RPGs like Dragonquest.

Q: Have you worked on the previous DC Shen Mue games?

A: I have worked on all Shen Mue versions.

Q: Can you tell us a little bit more about the unreleased Saturn version? How long had it been worked on, and did it use the experimental Saturn expansion cartridge or the 4meg ram card?

A: Nearly 2 years of work was put in the Saturn version. It didn’t use a booster cartridge nor did it use the 4meg ram card, so yes, the game was programmed for and the footage seen as an extra on SM2 is from the code running on a stock Saturn.

(BeGN: Wow, that’s very impressive!)

Q: Is the Shen Mue series likely to continue on the XBox?

A: Maybe, However, I don’t know yet if I will be the one producing them.

Q: Why on the Xbox?

A: The hardware is very powerful, so that makes it easier for us to realize our visions for the series.

Q: Shen Mue2 was AM2's first Xbox project. What do you think of the hardware compared to other high end hardware like Naomi2 wich AM2 is working with, and how does the Xbox compare to Naomi2?

A: They are both high-spec machines. Xbox has a little bit more trouble with transparencies, but overall I think they are comparable technology-wise. Each has their own weaknesses and strengths, but I wouldn’t say that overall one has the edge on the other.

Q: Why did you decide to package Shen Mue the movie with the game?

A: We knew that there would be players new to the series and we wanted them to get a feel for the story, and also as a memory boost for those who had played it when it first came out.

Q: Is there a possibility of Shen Mue2 being released outside of the US?

A: Yes, Microsoft has already picked it up for release in Europe. As for other markets, we can't comment on that right now.

Q: Did you have any trouble converting SM2 to the Xbox?

A: Apart from the aforementioned difficulty with transparencies, no, not really. The Xbox was easy to work with.

Q: How long did it take to convert the game?

A: The entire project took 8 months, which is quite short for a game this big.

Q: Can you tell us more about how the chapters relate to the game, like which chapters are included in SM2 and which will be included in the prequel and eventual sequels?

(At this point Mr. Ishikawa gets up and writes the timeline on the board, so check the attached picture for a timeline of the chapters.)

Q: Ah, chapter 2 is not in either game, that’s the chapter on the boat, right? Was this chapter ever planned to be made for either the DC or the Xbox?

A: No, we never intended to include that chapter in either game.

Q: The European DC version of SM2 was the most imported game in the US ever, so much so that it must have eaten into some of the sales of the Xbox version, how did you feel about that?

A: We are happy that so many people felt so strongly about the game that they wanted to import it, it was proof that the fanbase for the game is very strong and helped us in the decision to make more SM games.

Q: About SM3 then, I see that it will start from chapter 7, will it take place in China as well?

A: Yes, SM3 will be in China as well. Those of you who have finished the second one know that the story will expand enormously, and we will try to incorporate many exciting elements of Chinese culture etcetera into the game.

Q: Interesting, will it be entirely in China or will Ryo leave China at some point?

A: I'm afraid we can't give that sort of information yet.

Q: When can we expect SM3 and further sequels to release?

A: That has not been decided yet.

Q: Ok, aren't you afraid that if you take a long time between the games that interest in the series will dwindle down?

A: The series continues because of very strong fan requests. The fans want them, so we make them. We can't say yet when the sequels will be released, but we will do our best to not let the fans down. So, I would like to say to the fans: please look forward to more Shen Mue games on Xbox.

Q: Thank you, how do you feel about the entire series and all chapters(including those not yet released)?

A: I can't answer that at this point, I'd need to see how SM3 turns out first.

Q: Years ago, before SM1, there were rumours about a virtua Fighter RPG. That turned out to be Shen Mue. How has VF influenced Shen Mue?

A: We incorporated moves and fighting styles from VF in SM, so we took some of the martial arts themes and settings and used those in the game as well.

Q:There are a lot of rumours circulating about the Xbox based Chihiro arcade hardware, can you tell us more about that and about eventual further Xbox plans?

A: (Takuan replies) At the moment we can only confirm Virtua Cop 3, we would rather not discuss more at this point.

Q: Sega anounced a slew of remakes of older games for PS2 and Xbox recently, will we see any older AM2 games added to those, and who decides wich games get the make over?

A: We decide which games get remade together with our partners.

Q: Nice, what about remakes of AM2 games for Xbox then?

A: If there is enough demand by fans to release a remake of a certain game, we will try oure best to accommodate.

Thank you both very much! I'm sure Shenmue fans worldwide will appreciate this interview.

This interview has been released on TNL and BeGN.

VenoM
01-28-2003, 09:29 PM
good read :) hope to see more shenmue on the way...love that series

Cloud Strife
01-28-2003, 09:36 PM
I hope is comes too despite me not finishing Shenmue I and II. I probably won't finish both games until late 2003 though.:(

This is great news. I just want to hear about Fighting Vipers 3 right now.

VenoM
01-28-2003, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Burning Ranger
I hope is comes too despite me not finishing Shenmue I and II. I probably won't finish both games until late 2003 though.:(

This is great news. I just want to hear about Fighting Vipers 3 right now.

you never beat shenmue 1 or 2???....what were you doing playing shenmue 2 if ya never got done with 1 in the first place :eek: ....stop playing 2........finish part 1 then go to 2.......cant believe ya never beat part 1....one of the greatest games made...you call yourself a sega fan???:eek: :D ...only j/king with ya......seriously though...shenmue is amazing...get done with 1 then move to 2(dont touch part 2 til after your done with 1)....i beat part 1 and couldnt wait till part 2 to hit the xbox so i played the import version on dc cause i just couldnt wait:D

Cloud Strife
01-28-2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by VenoM
you never beat shenmue 1 or 2???....what were you doing playing shenmue 2 if ya never got done with 1 in the first place :eek: ....stop playing 2........finish part 1 then go to 2.......cant believe ya never beat part 1....one of the greatest games made...you call yourself a sega fan???:eek: :D ...only j/king with ya......seriously though...shenmue is amazing...get done with 1 then move to 2(dont touch part 2 til after your done with 1)....i beat part 1 and couldnt wait till part 2 to hit the xbox so i played the import version on dc cause i just couldnt wait:D I am towards the end of disc three on Shenmue though. On Shenmue II, I have only played for 20 minutes. The reason I didn't beat Shenmue was because I switched back to Playstation before I finished it lasr year. I worked on Xenogears, Grandia, Lunar, Lunar 2, Wild Arms, ans Star Ocean 2. My most played systems switch twice a year and that's why it didn't get finished. I did beat Skies of Arcadia and Grandia II on DC though. I am still a Sega fan but I choose a different game to work on.

I like Shenmue in all, but I still prefer playing turn based RPG games ove anything because I get sucked into them easily.;)

Heavens Gate
01-29-2003, 08:12 AM
I played through 1 and 2 on the dreamcast and 2 again on xbox. It's my fav series of all time. Nothing comes close in my opinion. Oh, I also watched the movie included in the xbox version which is just sniplets of shenmue 1. So if your not going to play through 1, at least watch the movie though playing through 1 is more satisfying.:)

bbchs_trash
01-29-2003, 08:37 AM
That movie included with the game sucked... Shenmue was awesome on Dreamcast but the graphics sucked hard on Xbox. It ruined the game for me. I had fun running the little booths with the ball though I made some mad cash. Shenmue 2 was crap compared to the first Shenmue... hopefully there is a next one but the creator (don't remember name... was Japanese...) was quoted in an interview in GameInformer that the next one will be a movie like the one included in SM2... oh boy... can't wait to watch somebody playing the game again... that movie sucked hard... they had a year to work on the game and there were hardly any improvements over the Dreamcast version. All those damned load times were very uneccessary... espeically when you see something like Morrowind... Shenmue 2 was a huge letdown for me...

Nato King
01-29-2003, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the (FYI) for your information. I love this game and anything to do with this game. Keep it coming.:)

Viper87227
01-29-2003, 07:40 PM
this information makes me happy! :)

I cannot wait for SMIII!

I took a look at that picture kinda disapointing looks like they really did shorten it to 16 chapters. It would have been amazing if they managed to make all 46 chapters like they had origionaly planed (i belive they had this idea all the way back when they started work on the saturn, but it could have been though up when DC production was started, im not 100% sure)