PDA

View Full Version : the D, the V, The DVD...

SciFi
11-26-2001, 09:30 PM
Ok, this may have come up before...
Is the Xbox DVD a progressive scan, or did they ditch that idea?

Heyyoudvd
11-26-2001, 10:32 PM
last I heard, it supports progressive scan for some games, but not at all for DVD movies.

Hugh_Jass
11-27-2001, 08:20 AM
I thought all games had support for progressive scan. Am I mistaken?

scarecrow kfj
11-27-2001, 10:00 AM
I believe it is a prog scan for both dvd and games. we compared my xbox to my friends prog scan dvd player and mine actualy had the same if not better pic

FpS_PhReeK
11-27-2001, 11:28 AM
The Xbox does not output Progressive Scan for DVD movies....

PhReeK out!

SciFi
11-27-2001, 01:47 PM
same here, my friend has a pro scan, and he said that his xbox had same quality picture...

scarecrow kfj
11-27-2001, 02:18 PM
I never read anywhere that it was not going to be a prog scan I have read that it was going to be one.. I only heard from people in forums that it wasnt going to be prog. I think it was a rumor that it was no longer prog started by haters....

FpS_PhReeK
11-27-2001, 06:22 PM
As I said before, no progresive scan DVD output ... Microsoft cheaped out.... at least they could have made the Xbox play DVD's out of the box... or spent a 20 cents to give a demo disk to distribute with the unit. I got an Xbox with no games, I am waiting for payday; that's still better than no Xbox at all or GC or PS2.

JUST THE FACTS:

No progressive-scan for Xbox DVD

The Xbox DVD player will not have progressive-scan capabilities. Microsoft has confirmed that the progressive-scan DVD feature will not be available in the final retail version of the Xbox console. The company would not elaborate on the specific reasons behind the exclusion of progressive-scan, but judging from previous comments from Microsoft executives, the feature was, at one point, under consideration for inclusion in the Xbox.

Supported by newer digital high-definition televisions, progressive-scan writes one full frame of video in a single pass--as opposed to the double pass used for the regular interlaced method--which results in a clearer DVD image quality.

Issues with cost are likely the primary reasons that Microsoft has decided not to include
progressive-scan capabilities in its DVD players. Currently, stand-alone progressive-scan DVD players range in price from $200 to more than $1,000. Consumers will have to purchase a separate DVD kit, which includes a remote and software, for an approximate price of $29 to play DVD movies on the Xbox. The console will be released this Thursday.

By Shahed Ahmed, GameSpot VG [POSTED: 11/12/01]

Here is a link to that:
CLICK ME! (http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/news/0,10870,2824108,00.html)

PhReek out!

LynxFX
11-27-2001, 06:43 PM
Progressive scan is built into the hardware as you can tell by the progressive output of games. It was disabled in dvd playback because of macrovision. Microsoft would have to pay a license fee for every xbox and that is something they did not want to do.

On some HD kits they still have progressive DVD playback written on the packaging.

If someone says that the picture quality of the xbox versus a prog dvd player is better or the same is lying, has a crap/cheapo prog dvd player, or doesn't know what they are talking about.

I'm glad that games are 480p though but I want 720p or 1080i to hopefully lessen the affect of jaggies.

FpS_PhReeK
11-27-2001, 06:52 PM
If someone says that the picture quality of the xbox versus a prog dvd player is better or the same is lying, has a crap/cheapo prog dvd player, or doesn't know what they are talking about.

True Dat...

I have heard that the system does in fact still support 480p resolution, thus progressive scan in games, so it's most likely not a hardware price issue, but a liscensing fee issue. So maybe will will see this feature unlocked in the future.

Be realistic, and happy, we bought this beauty for the games and this thing is SOLID... Progresive Scan DVD movies would have been nice,,,, but how many of you have a High Defiinition Television???...waiting through the silence....well I don't ..... and with out a high definition television NO ONE can not see a diference between interlaced and progresive display.

I know it is a bit early to even be discussing this but......

I hope that the Xbox will be upgradable, and that owners will be able to take their Xboxes somewhere and have a new motherboard and chipset put in when the time comes. I hope that the quality of the developers software palaces that day some 3 years or more down the road.

PhReeK out!