PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft's Future with Nvidia not looking bright

WynnFire
02-03-2003, 07:21 PM
I was reading the Business section of the Mercury News this morning (I only read it when Xbox related stuff is involved) and found this.

http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/business/5093202.htm

Nato King
02-03-2003, 07:33 PM
I see what you mean Microsoft" future with Nvidia is really not looking good at all. I think Huang would need to get his act to gather and make a really good chip this time. That would have way better graphis than that PS3. After that all they need to do is sit back and watch the sells come rolling in. When you think about it. It's all down to the smalls part the chip. If that's the best the xbox will be the best.:) IMO

Shadow20002
02-03-2003, 08:01 PM
Either ATI or Nvidia will put their chip on the next version of the Xbox, i want it fast enough to support great graphics games.... ;)

carlbme
02-03-2003, 08:03 PM
Nvidia can't afford not to try to get it. Like it said, it account for 20 percent of their income. While they did slip a bit (which I don't believe is due to the Xbox deal. ATi did just fine.) I serious doubt it took a 20% loss in that market. Which still ends up with Nvidia getting their pockets fattened.

J Dub
02-03-2003, 08:06 PM
ATI currently has the most powerful graphics card on the market right now, so I think that even if Nvidia loses the deal for Xbox 2 it won't really affect anything for us. It might affect Nvidia, lol, but not us.

xboxman_1
02-03-2003, 08:51 PM
Exactly, no matter what, Xbox 2 will still have superior graphics, no matter who makes the chip.

Evil_Dr_Beefy
02-04-2003, 01:42 AM
Nvidia got screwed by microsoft over the price of the chips...microsoft tried to lowball them...plus they lost a major amount of cash on the pricecut of the xbox......and the kicker is when they (nvidia) had to scrap thosands of chips when microsoft changed the security code....it's been a nightmare for nvidia...Let Ati deal with microsoft..i hope they get everything in writing and protection from an xbox pricedrop upfront. Nividia should go back to computer graphic cards, what they do best........you guys are so loyal it's insane.....just because you drop the price of your unit,doesn't mean i have to drop the price of my parts for your unit.....

BCan
02-04-2003, 04:30 AM
Currently the ATI Radeon 9700 Pro is right up there, or above the Geforce FX, so ATI has a fair clue on how to make a graphics card that can punch out the polys.

I don't really care what card is in there, as long as it does what MS wants it to do. If the games can look spectacular, and the gameplay is great, then I couldn't care less if it was a Spasmotron 3000000......

MerimacHamwich
02-04-2003, 12:39 PM
Who cares. Having ATI make the video card would be better anyhow.

Whisper
02-04-2003, 02:30 PM
for some reason a lot of bad news, true or not true, is coming out for the XBOX lately... im worried.

VeNoMiZA
02-04-2003, 03:05 PM
...........i dont like all this trash goin on wit xbox hopefully everything tunrs out ok... :(

MerimacHamwich
02-04-2003, 03:09 PM
Nothing bad will come of this, don't worry. THe worst thing that could happen would be if ATI (the better company) were to come onboard and produce a chip for microsoft, I view this as good news.

WynnFire
02-04-2003, 04:32 PM
Don't forget, there is an ATI chip inside of the GameCube. It's better than the PS2's graphics engine but not the Xbox's. I'm guessing Nintendo is going to stick with ATI for their next console they announced. :confused:

JimmieDoogan
02-04-2003, 06:16 PM
So be it... should they not use nVidia anymore, I doubt it will hamper they're technology. If they use ATI... then it better not skip like my radeon does... ;) And about the ATI chip in the GameCube, it's actually an ArtX chip with ATI's name spalshed on it. ALL OF IT'S TECHNOLOGY WAS CREATED BY ARTX, which was later bought by ATI, hence the ATI name... but in actuallity, no original ATI staff worked on that piece of hardware. Personally I've no interest in the company that makes a chip, but rather interested in how it performs. :D Trivia note, ArtX also created the graphics processor that resided within the N64...