PDA

View Full Version : Bad thing about microsoft..

DenniZz81
11-27-2001, 02:48 AM
Xbox is a hell of a gaming console!!

But now there wont be 2 strong competetors... like there was Sony and Nintendo.

Now there will be three. And this will shorten the consoles lifecycle alot... =( And the people who will suffer from this are the consumers...

Especially on ppl like me who is a student and dont have so much money...

bad

Haine
11-27-2001, 04:14 AM
I bet nintendo feel like they should kick themselves after deciding not to do the upgrade on the Snes,And look where sony is now...=P.Well actually not very far with the ps2 but the ps1 rocked.

For the people that doesnt understand my comment the ps1 was going to be a upgrade for the supernes and nintendo didnt think it would have been the right move.....Rofl

Hugh_Jass
11-27-2001, 08:27 AM
Nobody is a student forever, DenniZz81. Though, I admit that I tried to make it last as long as I could. :)

Plewis
11-27-2001, 09:20 AM
I don't think this will hurt the consumer, well only the people who buy the Lamecube (maximus:) ), because I don't think that will be cool, it will be a dreamcast. But, I think the competition will help us. It will drive competition to make better, and cheaper consoles. I think the consumer can only win from this.

scarecrow kfj
11-27-2001, 10:11 AM
theres three consoles out there? I thought there was only the xbox

l Maximus l
11-27-2001, 11:27 AM
The XBox is the best thing that has ever happened to us gaming consumers. Because of the XBox, there is a new bench-mark in gaming consoles. Future consoles can only be better and the XBox seemingly skipped a major step and developed a milestone! This means that Sony and Nintendo, to compete, will have to out perform the XBox with their future consoles if they want to sell any :D This is awesome!!! Bring on the wars! The best of all gaming is here with the XBox, but, who holds the ultimate gaming future?

My guess will be when the XBox 2 comes out someday :D Imagine the possibilities :D

DenniZz81
11-27-2001, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Maximus
The XBox is the best thing that has ever happened to us gaming consumers. Because of the XBox, there is a new bench-mark in gaming consoles. Future consoles can only be better and the XBox seemingly skipped a major step and developed a milestone! This means that Sony and Nintendo, to compete, will have to out perform the XBox with their future consoles if they want to sell any :D This is awesome!!! Bring on the wars! The best of all gaming is here with the XBox, but, who holds the ultimate gaming future?

My guess will be when the XBox 2 comes out someday :D Imagine the possibilities :D

thats good for the performance thats likely to increase....
but its not good for the wallet :(

scarecrow kfj
11-27-2001, 02:24 PM
I hate to say it but the cube is not that bad.. yes it needs to do better with games and controllers but just in graphics its not to bad I saw starfox and was impressed.

l Maximus l
11-27-2001, 03:53 PM
Whoa!! Somebody snap Scarecrow out of it! He is going dilerious!!!!! OH NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

jk...actually, the LameCube does have some cool graphics...but, I would never buy a console for only a few good games

LynxFX
11-27-2001, 05:53 PM
How the hell is more competition and more choices hurting the consumer?!?!?!

Sony rode the PS1 for 5 years and then all they could come up with is the PS2? They were going to wait another 4 years until the PS3. Why? Because they are milking the profits instead of innovating and pushing technology. A five year life cycle sucks IMO.

Nintendo was/is the same.

Now enter Microsoft. They live buy a different set of rules. The PC world rules. The you can't stop developing for a minute or someone will come out with something better rules.

Just look at the graphics industry. 3dfx was king. They revolutionized the way we LOOK at gaming on the pc. They come out with the Voodoo card. Brilliant until they come out with the Voodoo2 card. Now their dominance can't be matched. Companies tried. nVidia put out the NV1. Didn't do well at all. Then they came out with the TNT1 a short while after the voodoo2. Now they are starting to compete with 3dfx but still couldn't match sales. Next up in a short 6 months, the TNT2. Now 3dfx is dethrowned from the 3d crown. Why? Because 3dfx was riding the coattails of their own creation and kept up with their long 1-2 year product cycle. nVidia created the very ambitious 6 month product cycle. Everyone including 3dfx thought that this would put nVidia under within a year or two. We all know what company went under. We wouldn't be seeing games like DoomIII being developed with their current graphics if it wasn't for nVidia creating competition. ATI stepped in and filled the void with even more competition so that nVidia wouldn't start to slack off.

This is good. Good to the industry, good to the consumer. We now have price wars. Feature wars. And the consumer is reaping the benefits. The only ones that are hurting themselves are the ones that buy every new bleeding edge technology product that comes out. You don't need to unless that is what you are in to. Don't blame the companies for innovating and pushing technology for your empty pocket.

So now back to consoles. I think we are entering a new age of consoles. An age of mind altering visuals and sound and new competition. We will finally start to see what Sony really can make when they are tested by a company stealing their thunder. Yes new consoles, or updated (ultra, advanced, plus, etc.) consoles will come out in a more timely fashion instead of half a decade later. Does this mean you need to buy every generation as soon as they come? No. Will you want to? Probably yes. At least you will know that Microsoft and Sony will try to continue the backwards compatibilty trend. Ummm, hello Nintendo. Learn anything?

Of course that is all just with hardware. What does it mean for games? Well for one thing they will get better, more advanced, more detailed, and hopefully just more of them. This will also expand the limits as to what a game developer can do to a game. How many times have we heard that a game was cut down or things were dropped because the console just couldn't handle it? These were all limitations in hardware. Take out that limitation with better hardware more frequently and you will end up with the better games. Just remember that the fun factor is still up to the game developer.

So NO, Microsoft isn't hurting the customers at all. They just drew a bigger line in the dirt for the next company to try and cross.