PDA

View Full Version : Dolby Digital and other Audio Annoyances

destrago
11-27-2001, 10:21 AM
Greetings X-Box Fans,

I got my X-Box with the AV Pack on the 15th and I'm curious to know if anyone else is having digital audio hookup problems. Here's the jist of mine, I'm probably going to call microsoft in a few minutes. I've got 2 different audio recievers with dolby digital optical input, one of them supports DTS. So I bought the Advanced AV Pack on the 15th wanting to rock out to some sweet 5.1 but couldn't get the digital to work, but I put off analyizing the probleum until I had time to sit down an play with it. It turns out that neither of the recievers can listen to the x-box's audio when it's in pro-logic mode or DTS mode in ANY compination - the only way I can ever get digital to work is if I have Dolby off, DTS off and the system in stereo, which defeats the point of having the link in the first place. One of my friends said hes been reading that certain X-Boxes have been having problems with said connection type. Anyone esle out there experience this and call MS already and learn anything? Drop a line.

-Destrago Z. Scudireo

scarecrow kfj
11-27-2001, 10:24 AM
did you set it up in your xbox? Turn on your xbox w/o a game or cd in it. go to settings and switch the audio to dig or dts.

Hugh_Jass
11-27-2001, 11:57 AM
Good call, Scarecrow. That's what I was going to say.

scarecrow kfj
11-27-2001, 12:28 PM
Thank you hugh

destrago
12-03-2001, 12:11 AM
After a lot of internet research I learned that the problem is a Dolby Digital output problem on units made in Mexico, so check where your X-box is made and make sure yours works if its from mexico and you ever plan to use it. I took mine back and exchanged it for a new one from the Hungary plant and found it to work exactly as it should have.

-Destrago Z. Scudiero

Vteck3000
12-03-2001, 12:35 AM
Can anyone confirm that the XBOX'x made in Mexico can't play Dolby Digital ? Only the Hungarian ones can ?????? I really doubt that Microsoft would of passed on an error like that :confused:

Desdinova
12-03-2001, 08:44 AM
Mine was made in Mexico and will play Dolby Digital for about 10-15 minutes, and then it goes to crap. Begins cutting in and out, and then eventually just stops.

I'm sending it into Microsoft today. Hopefully have it back within a week or 2 ... oh well ... it's past the point where I can return it to the store.

Fourstarr558
12-03-2001, 09:51 AM
Desdovia.
where did you get it from... All places shold atleast have a 30 day return policy on defective merchendise. its not like you want your money back. Just go in and talk to the manager and throw a **** fit. I work in retail and managers hate that. they will give you what you want just to get you out the door.

OaklandR
12-03-2001, 08:51 PM
Is this really true??

Shadowhawk
12-03-2001, 11:07 PM
Well, my XBox was made in Mexico and I haven't had a single problem with the digital output. In fact, I don't even have the analog outputs attached on my unit.

Instead I have my XBox on the coffee table beside my couch. This gives me lots of controller cord length to work with. As for wiring, I use the Advanced AV pack and have an svideo cable (30ft) run to my AV receiver, along with a high quality digital coaxial cable (RG6). This of course means that I attached an optical (Toslink) to coaxial converter at the XBox. Got it at Radio Shack (catalog #42-8561) for convenience, and it works great! :)

I will say one thing... a LOT of Toslink connections are very poor. I have encountered a number of receivers that have lousy Toslink jacks and it's these jacks that cause a lot of the sound dropouts. Thats why I tend to use digital coaxial instead of optical. Of course I'm also lucky that my AV receiver has 3 coaxial inputs on it, assignable to any video input.

Hope this helps dispel some of the 'rumors'....

scarecrow kfj
12-04-2001, 01:49 PM
no problems with the dig. I have had it since the 15th no problem. I would like to know where you read that rumor. I have not seen or heard about anyware but in this. I think you are full of crap. Maybe you just didnt read the directions... D.A.

destrago
12-23-2001, 10:11 AM
Allow me to clarify what's going on here. Dolby Digital output works for the most part on almost all X-Boxes. It's been noticed, however, that almost all of the defective units that shipped came out of Mexico. Units made in neigher Hungary nor Mexico probably work, and many of the units that shipped from Mexico probably worked. The observation that has been made, and this was made on usenet, for those of you who are curious where i got this info from, is that X-Boxes made in Mexico MAY or May not have the problem, so I was simply urging people whose units are made in Mexico to check this out.

-Destrago Z. Scudiero

Frostberg
12-23-2001, 05:57 PM
Yeah there was a batch of Xboxes that DD didnt work. Those were just units that were shipped for launch, so there shouldnt be any more problems, but this is why it has slipped by MS. They just tried to get a bunch out before launch and a batch got all messed up. Luckily I got a Hungarian Xbox and it everything works fine with my component gamelink 400X and my 100X optical...

Frostberg<------Loves MS