PDA

View Full Version : Is their a better RPG than Skies Of Arcadia?

Ninja Scroll
11-27-2001, 02:35 PM
In my opinion (this coming from a hardcore RPG fan) I have played many of RPG greats, but I feel the the most underated Role Playing Game of all-time is in fact the greatest ever made.
In Skies Of Arcadia (DC).
I pray that Microsoft will in some way not overlook this Sega (soon to be) franchise. And get Sega to develope the sequels on Xbox.
Anyways, does anyone think there is a greater RPG than Skies Of Arcadia:confused:

Krishna
11-30-2001, 04:41 PM
The FFX series is way better than the Skies of Arcadia and I think Breath of Fire IV is better, but it was the best rpg on the Dreamcast though.

**Editing My Post**

I take that back the best rpg for Dreamcast is Phantasy Star Online

**Editing Done**

Ninja Scroll
11-30-2001, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Krishna
The FFX series is way better than the Skies of Arcadia and I think Breath of Fire IV is better, but it was the best rpg on the Dreamcast though.

**Editing My Post**

I take that back the best rpg for Dreamcast is Phantasy Star Online

**Editing Done**

Krishna, you obviously never owned a Dreamcast and you have never,.......eeeeeeeeeeeeeever!! played Phantasy Star Online cause anyone is their right mind knows that PSO is an action/adventure game, not a RPG.
Do some research before you run your mouth about things know know nthing about.

Also, you seem to be someone filled up with Final "HYPE" Fantasy sintrom. FF cant see Skies Of Arcadia on its best days. (maybe da old school NES joints, but not the new breeds)

Krishna
11-30-2001, 09:33 PM
Your right about one thing and that one thing is that I've never played Phantasy Star Online, but it is an RPG. If you don't believe me roll on over to http://www.gamespot.com and check the gerne out. I'm not saying I know more than you, but I happen to have a Dreamcast and I really liked it and still do so before you start getting all mad and crap why don't you do a little research.

Ninja Scroll
11-30-2001, 10:00 PM
Your right about one thing and that one thing is that I've never played Phantasy Star Online, but it is an RPG. If you don't believe me roll on over to http://www.gamespot.com and check the gerne out. I'm not saying I know more than you, but I happen to have a Dreamcast and I really liked it and still do so before you start getting all mad and crap why don't you do a little research.

I NEED 2 DO SOME RESEARCH?

Slim, I own Sega Dreamcast along with 38 titles that (half of them) reek of awesomeness!!

Hey your right, the game is listed not just on gamespot.com, but every d@amn website and in-store promotion everywhere, but what you failed to see and know is you have to play the game in order the know what gerne it is. I swear to you that PSO in not a RPG!!!

Look, Shenmue is listed everywhere as a RPG, but even Yu Sazuki said his game is not an RPG. It's (in his words) F.R.E.E i cant remember off the top of my head what "free" stands for, but it's not RPG.

Krishna
11-30-2001, 10:19 PM
Your right, because Shenmue is nowhere near RPG form and I have to play a game to know what it feels like.

Ninja Scroll
11-30-2001, 10:55 PM
Your right, because Shenmue is nowhere near RPG form and I have to play a game to know what it feels like.

thank you for having some understanding of what I have been trying to say.
No hard feelings slim.

Krishna
11-30-2001, 11:22 PM
Your welcome. [No hard feelings because I know what you mean]

Ninja Scroll
12-03-2001, 11:16 AM
Your welcome. [No hard feelings because I know what you mean]

Hey Krishna, now that we have that understanding out of the way, tell me.
Now though I feel Skies of Arcadia is the best RPG ever and you think other wise (i can respect that).
Tell me, what Final Fantasy is your favorite and why?

Xboxmaster2001
12-03-2001, 03:43 PM
i agree with ninja scroll PSO is the best RPG ever

dronezero
12-03-2001, 07:47 PM
LOL!

xboxmaster you might want to reread the thread. Ninja Scroll just explained that he does not consider PSO a rpg.

I have played Skies and did think it was one of the top rpgs ever. However, I kept it back from being number one due to the unabsorbent amount of random battles.

Krishna
12-03-2001, 10:00 PM
I like number 7 the best and you right about the new series. Some of them aren't as good as the old ones even though I've played one of the old ones and my friend said that the old ones are way better even though the graphic look cheap compared to today's. I just don't like Skies if Arcadia, because you fought too much and the system kind of sucked. I really didn't like the way it was presented in the game, but the storyline was cool. Anyway, FF7 has like the best characters and you have to have some common sense to know what materia to equip and which not to. The character's were awesome [not to mention Sephiroth] but on Skies of Arcadia I hated the main character. Can't remeber his name I think it was Vyle or something that might have been his father [ he was cool]. But on Skies of Arcadia I did like how you could edit your ship and fight in battles with it.

Ninja Scroll
12-04-2001, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by dronezero
LOL!

xboxmaster you might want to reread the thread. Ninja Scroll just explained that he does not consider PSO a rpg.

I have played Skies and did think it was one of the top rpgs ever. However, I kept it back from being number one due to the unabsorbent amount of random battles.

Thank you very much dronezero,
xboxmaster obviously skips over alot of post and just replies to things he has no idea what someone is saying.

But you do make a very good point (as Krishna) by speaking of the overwhelming un-neccasary battles. And the battle systemis nothing more than a basic RPG format style.
True it's not all that, but what about the story line.
BEST.RPGSTORYLINE.EVER

Each character (even the off brand nobody's) has their own deep, deep story and background.
The game is excellent in all factors that make an RPG great. No this game is not great. It's a classic, masterpiece, and beautiful.

Oh Krishna, I think you are the one that said you hated the lead character right.
By the way, his name is " Vyse- The Dashing ", he is very charasmatic, emotional, believeable, cool looking with a attitude
:p
True, I loved FF7 as well. I mean Cloud single handedly make me lose sleepless nights. But I just gotta give the nod to Skies Of Arcadia for several reasons.
The main one being the depth of the story as a whole.
Just when you think it's about to be over "many" of times it just goes on and on and, well......... on.
The game never slows down one second. Well, except for the (at times) random battles. True they get annoying at times, but it's worth it for as excellent game as Skies is.;)

Celestial Hero
12-12-2001, 06:54 PM
Well, I have beaten Skies of Arcadia 3.7 times, so I think it is safe to say that it is my favoirte RPG ever:D

Devil May Cry
12-14-2001, 10:09 PM
final fantasy tactics

Big Ben
12-18-2001, 12:57 AM
Quite frankly, I don't know how you can call any of the Final Fantasies after 6 an RPG. A Role Playing Game (RPG) is oringially defined by taking over a single character's life, and occasionally, the life of his or her companions, as well as being a game of chance. Every Final Fantasy after 6 (except for tactics) was an action adventure game with role playing elements, but no one should call an of those games RPGs.

As far as greatest RPGs ever, try looking back to the old school days of Phantasy Star 1-5 for Genesis, Shining Force I-II for Genesis, Final Fantasy I-III for nintendo, and Final Fantasy VI for Super Nintendo. Other often overlooked RPGs that revolutionized the genre were the Might & Magic series 1-5 (but mainly 3), the Realms of Arkania series, and the Elder Scrolls series (more of an action/RPG game in Daggerfall). Of course, you can't overlook the Lunar series. And the King's Quest Series, Space Quest series, and Leisure Suit Larry series all affected the RPG as well, even though none of them really were RPGs. And if you really want to get to the root of what we call RPGs today, try going back to the mid 70s to the first true RPG in Zork, the 80s with Ultima, and perhaps, although it's a stretch, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy text based game.

There's a world of amazing games if you're willing to actually settle for a good story over graphics. So please, before you go claiming that some of the RPGs of the last 5 years are the best, look back to the games our nerdy Dads played... Mine went to MIT and he's got more text-based RPGs than the Yankees have big-name free agents.

-Big Ben

Ninja Scroll
12-18-2001, 02:56 PM
Yo Ben, you seem to know something about the good old days of RPG's on the Master System, Genesis and NES, but so do I. And comparing all of those to Skies Of Arcadia still does not change my mind slim.
But I respect your opinions;)
Yeah, FF's after 6 are more action/adventure but I still loved FF7.
I heard FF8 sucked, is that true?

Celestial Hero
12-18-2001, 03:00 PM
no... Final Fantasy 8 was awsome:D

Mysterycheese
12-18-2001, 09:58 PM
By far my favorite RPGs have to be Vandal Hearts, Suikoden, and Suikoden 2. I haven't found vandal hearts 2 anywhere yet, but its out. They are all for playstation.

redrum237
12-19-2001, 12:12 PM
I heard FF8 sucked, is that true?

I definatly think FF8 was the waorst in the seris, coming from what use to be a big FF fan. But i still have not played all in the seris, but out of the ones i have played for PSX (5, 6, 7, 8, 9) i think 8 was the worse one

Ninja Scroll
12-21-2001, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by redrum237

I definatly think FF8 was the waorst in the seris, coming from what use to be a big FF fan. But i still have not played all in the seris, but out of the ones i have played for PSX (5, 6, 7, 8, 9) i think 8 was the worse one

I have never played FF8 but I just gotta know, why is it so bad as you all say?
Anyone can say a game sucks but without reason being posted you all have nothing to back your little statments up.

btw,... Skies Of Arcadia on DC is still the best d@mn RPG ever! :D

StudioAlex
12-22-2001, 02:41 PM
I hate to interrupt the flow and reply to the actual topic of the post but I enjoyed Skies a lot. But it wasn't even my favorite DC RPg. It was certainly top notch but I enjoyed the more mature Grandia 2 more in the end. My favorite RPG of all time is the PAnzer RPG. Or maybe the orignal Lunar. Panzer is my fave, but Lunar holds a special place in my heart.

Ninja Scroll
12-23-2001, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by StudioAlex
I hate to interrupt the flow and reply to the actual topic of the post but I enjoyed Skies a lot. But it wasn't even my favorite DC RPg. It was certainly top notch but I enjoyed the more mature Grandia 2 more in the end. My favorite RPG of all time is the PAnzer RPG. Or maybe the orignal Lunar. Panzer is my fave, but Lunar holds a special place in my heart.

Yo StudioAlex!
I got a couple beefs with you bro! But first let me give you props on a couple things. First offyour right, Panzer Dragoon's RPG on Sega Saturn was a classic and very underated. As a matter of fact the title was in limited supply. It's considered a rare game that's actually worth money today! I neve played the Lunar games on Sega CD though I did hear from friends of mine that I missed out big time on these Sega CD titles.
Okay, theirs your props, now is my beefs:
You are a brave man Alex. You had the guts to say Grandia 2 was a better RPG than Skies!?
Dude, I owned Grandia 2 on DC and after a couple days I turned that game back in. I felt the only good thing about this game was the limited voice overs.
other than that I honestly thought the game sucked. The games story was cheesy and too plain & simple. The game was waaaaaaaaay too straight forward. The character made me not care about them. The music was okay. Oh, almost forgot! The battle system is the best I have ever seen in an RPG game, but in RPG's it's not all about the fighting system.
I feel Skies Of Arcadia beats Grandia 2 in every aspect of the word except for the battle system.
Plus the ending in Skies crushes that weak Grandia over extended corny ending.

StudioAlex
12-25-2001, 08:03 PM
Well, different strokes for different folks, right? MAny of the things you find fault with in Grandia 2 are things I felt Skies lacked in. Straight forward story? Let's see, Skies: Go collect the seven mystical whatevers and go stop the evil guy that will kill everything. Now, Grandia was more linear in the sense that you weren't allowed to wander the countryside aimlessly but I was kept in suspense trying to figure just who the big evil thing in the world was. In fact, the game is so ambiguous about exactly who the two Good/Evil Supreme lords actually were (and were they even good/evil?). The triangle between it's three leads is by far the most complicated I've yet seen in an RPG. You can't compare the relationship between Vyse and the two girls because there was absolutely nothing going on, which I felt was boring. Again, you probably just don't like the same things I do, but man, that scene where the priestess throws hereself off the balcony onto the big knights swords in sacrifice to her master, that was remiscent of something out of Bergman. I can't recall a scene in Skies that moved me emotionally (Okay, the dude waiting with the whale as it died was cool, but what else was there?). As far as music, I think I liked both games but Grandia was done by Iwadare and I really like him. I don't want to get into this type of discussion because I really liked SKies, only I liked Grandia more.

Oh yeah, I think battle systems are very important, as they make up a sizeable chunk of the gameplay, as much or even more than any other element of gameplay. A good battlesystem can really save an RPG, even if its story leaves something to be desired. Again, you may be more into the auxillary elements like exploration or item/power management. Whatever. I feel no shame in liking Grandia 2 as much as I did. All of my friends felt similarly and most reviewers rated the games equally, though I do believe skies was favored slightly more. ANyway, I've gone on long enough.

Ninja Scroll
12-27-2001, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by StudioAlex
Well, different strokes for different folks, right? MAny of the things you find fault with in Grandia 2 are things I felt Skies lacked in. Straight forward story? Let's see, Skies: Go collect the seven mystical whatevers and go stop the evil guy that will kill everything. Now, Grandia was more linear in the sense that you weren't allowed to wander the countryside aimlessly but I was kept in suspense trying to figure just who the big evil thing in the world was. In fact, the game is so ambiguous about exactly who the two Good/Evil Supreme lords actually were (and were they even good/evil?). The triangle between it's three leads is by far the most complicated I've yet seen in an RPG. You can't compare the relationship between Vyse and the two girls because there was absolutely nothing going on, which I felt was boring. Again, you probably just don't like the same things I do, but man, that scene where the priestess throws hereself off the balcony onto the big knights swords in sacrifice to her master, that was remiscent of something out of Bergman. I can't recall a scene in Skies that moved me emotionally (Okay, the dude waiting with the whale as it died was cool, but what else was there?). As far as music, I think I liked both games but Grandia was done by Iwadare and I really like him. I don't want to get into this type of discussion because I really liked SKies, only I liked Grandia more.

Oh yeah, I think battle systems are very important, as they make up a sizeable chunk of the gameplay, as much or even more than any other element of gameplay. A good battlesystem can really save an RPG, even if its story leaves something to be desired. Again, you may be more into the auxillary elements like exploration or item/power management. Whatever. I feel no shame in liking Grandia 2 as much as I did. All of my friends felt similarly and most reviewers rated the games equally, though I do believe skies was favored slightly more. ANyway, I've gone on long enough.

StudioAlex, as i've said before I do respect your opinions, but where just not gonna budge on which RPG is better!
Instead of me quoting everything you just wrote im gonna just say you made very good points on your perspective.
You prefer Grandia 2 and I (your hero & Ninja role model:D ) prefer Skies Of Arcadia.
Like you said, different strokes for differnent. It's all good!;)

StudioAlex
12-28-2001, 07:39 PM
But I really did like SKies. I just hope they do away with the random battles when they make the sequel. I'm playing through DW 7 and it's driving me up the walls. Godd game though.