PDA

View Full Version : Bill Gates Talks Xbox

Qbas
02-08-2003, 09:43 AM
Microsoft chairman Bill Gates recently sat down with National French newspaper Les Echoes to discuss a variety of topics including the Xbox. To begin, Gates was asked about the disappointing performance of the console in the Japanese market. Putting things in perspective, Gates said, "Being a new player in this business, we're satisfied with the number two position behind Sony and ahead of Nintendo is the global console market. We think that's particularly significant because software developers have historically only supported the top two platforms. With the launch of Xbox Live, our console provides opportunities that Sony can't match right out of the box."

Continuing, Gates shed some light on the future, "The next-generation Xbox will feature digital media capabilities such as video and photo editing in addition to games. It will also allow for Internet capabilities without the need for direct connections through Wi-Fi. As for the Japanese market, we knew it was going to be difficult, and we will continue to invest in the Xbox there."

Chairman Gates was also asked about rumors suggesting Microsoft plans to purchase Vivendi Universal's videogame division. In denial, Gates said, "As far as I know there are currently no negotiations in progress. If there were serious discussions regarding a buyout, I'd definitely know about it."

Kraft
02-08-2003, 09:49 AM
I'm not seeing exactly what a next gen console would need photoediting capabilities for. Even at HDTV resolutions, you can get better quality out of your computer monitor while editing... that and editing with a joystick on your controller would suck.

Qbas
02-08-2003, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Kraft-XBA
I'm not seeing exactly what a next gen console would need photoediting capabilities for. Even at HDTV resolutions, you can get better quality out of your computer monitor while editing... that and editing with a joystick on your controller would suck.
To me it sounds like MS is trying to make the next-gen console a computer that you can use it through your TV.

Kraft
02-08-2003, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Qbas
To me it sounds like MS is trying to make the next-gen console a computer that you can use it through your TV.

Thats just it, though, I don't want a computer I can run through my TV. I wouldn't mind being able to play sound and video files through my TV, but my living room is a place of enjoyment, not a place of productivity. Next thing you know I will start having to drag all my books and media and the rest of my crap out of my desk onto my sofa, which is something that noone should have to deal with.

DarkPhoenix
02-08-2003, 09:58 AM
Well...I do know that the old computers of like the 80s used to be on TVs...I sure hope they don't go back to that...XBox Next will have some pretty cool features though.

Qbas
02-08-2003, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Kraft-XBA
Thats just it, though, I don't want a computer I can run through my TV. I wouldn't mind being able to play sound and video files through my TV, but my living room is a place of enjoyment, not a place of productivity. Next thing you know I will start having to drag all my books and media and the rest of my crap out of my desk onto my sofa, which is something that noone should have to deal with.
And the next thing you'll know is that you will be updating your console for better parts and getting angry to your console for slowing down in games, system malfunctions etc. The constant battle that many PC users have with their computers (like me :D )