PDA

View Full Version : Need help connecting xbox to internet

dysrhythmia
11-27-2001, 06:23 PM
I'm kind of an idiot when it comes to this stuff. I have a Surfboard cable modem hooked up to my ethernet card in my pc.......How exactly do I hook my xbox up to play online? Do I need extra cords? I've already installed all the gamespy arcade software. Any help is greatly appreciated. Even a picture would help.

Brian
11-27-2001, 06:26 PM
http://www.gamespyarcade.com/support/tunnel_xbox.shtml

Tazilla
11-27-2001, 06:33 PM
you definitely need two NIC's or a router,...

the two nics work,.. I don't have a router to test that out yet,..

but two nic's definitely work,..

dysrhythmia
11-27-2001, 06:59 PM
What exactly is a "NIC"? :confused:

Chaotic
11-27-2001, 07:05 PM
Network Interface Card.

Connects you to either a LAN (Local Area Network) Which is connected through a Hub or Switch or a WAN (Wide Area Network) which is your broadband connection directly to the internet.

Taltoz
11-28-2001, 07:51 AM
The simplest solution would be to purchase a hub. You would plug your PC, cable modem, and the xbox into the hub and off you go.

BlaZeR2
11-28-2001, 08:21 AM
Actually, IMHO, the simplest and by far, the best solution is to purchase a broadband sharing router / switch such as the linksys cable router. it is very easy to set up. You plug your cable modem into it, your pc into it, and your xbox into it. type in a web address to configure the router, and you are off.

(okay, so that description might be a tad general, but you get the point)

As far as I know, just plugging your cable modem and pc into a hub will not share your internet connection. You will have to have some other software and quite a bit of setup to go through - but i could be wrong, I know it was difficult quite some time ago before the popularity of routers and broadband at home.

again - just my opinion

BlaZeR2

Taltoz
11-28-2001, 08:50 AM
BlaZeR2 is correct. A switch is what you want (thats what I get for reading one thing and typing another at the same time :-P). I would also recomend using the linksys router because it provides some security between your pc and the broadband internet connection.

dysrhythmia
11-28-2001, 09:14 AM
Hey thanks guys, appreciate the help.

Tazilla
11-28-2001, 01:20 PM
I say "don't spend all that money for a router,.. and go the cheapest route possible."

you can buy more beer that way