PDA

View Full Version : Big Bill on Xbox2

Casper
02-12-2003, 12:00 AM
Xbox 2 - Big Bill speaks

[11/02/2003: 15:04]
Pop inside for titbits on the new Xbox straight from the horse's mouth. Well, Bill Gates' mouth, actually...

Speaking to the national French newspaper Les Echoes recently, Microsoft boss Bill Gates has outlined features that will be included in Xbox 2.

"The next-generation Xbox will feature digital media capabilities such as video and photo editing in addition to games," he explained. A modest move, in reality, but some will feel it's taking the Xbox ever more the way of the PC - a criticism that Xbox has had levelled at it from its conception (due to it being Microsoft's baby).

We see it in a similar light to Sony's vision of PS3. From PS2 onwards, Sony have looked to make their number one games machine an entertainment centre. Even though details are scant, PS3 will undoubtedly carry on that trend, linking up to whatever and your hoover.

Microsoft are just hooking their console up to what they do best - PC stuff. As long as it remains (and acts like) a console that we can just shove under the TV, zip in a disc and play away, we'll be happy.

No one moans about having a DVD player in their PS2 or Xbox and, when you get all the other extras in the new wave of next-gen consoles, we doubt you'll be moaning then.

linky (http://gamesradar.msn.co.uk/news/default.asp?subsectionid=159&articleid=64902&pagetype=2//)

Snake Eyez
02-12-2003, 12:21 AM
I just want my xbox to play games. That's all. No if would go and get me something to drink when I tell it to, that's a different story.

MerimacHamwich
02-12-2003, 12:23 AM
All of the extras make the price grow up!

CrazyCougar
02-12-2003, 01:36 AM
I like my Xbox. Xbox 2 should be the same thing with more power, thats it. I dont need all this other crap they wanna put with it. Might as well go back to PC. Hopefully if that is the trend coming, someone will come out with a true video game system and thats it. Technology is a good thing but it can be a bit extreme sometimes.

BCan
02-12-2003, 02:09 AM
What they are trying to do is to have people to have a PC in their house, but not a PC, it's a "console". If people only have to buy a console, and it does DVR, edits photos from their digital camera, and plays games, it covers what many "amatuers" will use a PC for, and cost a lot less.
Not every person wants an expensive PC (Which is what they are compared to a console) so, if it can do just about everything people want it to do, and is a lot cheaper, then why complain. If they have photo editing available, I bet some of you will be posting what picture u made the load up screen to be.........

I don't know why people complain about getting more features, are you the same people that just want the movie on the DVD and no special features?

If all I needed was an XBOX, that did everything for me, instead of a XBOX and VCR, then I'd go with it, since it would remove one item from an already crowded home entertainment system.

"Video Only" systems are a thing of the past, as the PS2 and XBOX already can do DVD, so they are a multifunction device already. To add these little extras is only good for it, not bad.

LynxFX
02-12-2003, 02:36 AM
Hope you all realize that Microsoft never intended to just build a console. They want to be in everyone's livingroom. The Xbox was the start along with their PVR boxes and now tablet pc's. They want xbox 2 in everyone's livingroom, not just gamers.

Expect Sony to do something similar.

I'm all for it if they can keep the cost down. No one is going to buy a new console over $300. And this whole 'console isn't a pc' thing is getting old. Face it, every single device you will be purchasing in the next decade will be a pc of some sort. Most everything is already.

Reclaimer
02-12-2003, 04:49 AM
From something I read awhile back, MS was aiming at creating an all in one electronic center that becomes the mainstay of the house. Basically, a computer that you have installed in a closet, and there it controlls everything. It would be wired into all aspects of domestic living. It controlls TV recording, gaming, media, and it also controls the house functions like AC, security and so forth. Seems OK, I guess, the house of the future may not be so far off. But for now, the present, I'm not looking for my Xbox or any console to replace my computer. I just want it to play games, and movies. That's it, the end. I have a computer for a reason. I have a console for a reason. But I'm not interested in further pushing them together. Maybe in the future as an all in one home control center, but, certainly not a PC-console device for right now in the living room. As I see it right now, this Xbox2 better be straight up bad ass, and have incredible games and graphics before I even flinch at one. I see the xbox as an incredible platform, and to consider it's replacement right now, especially with all the life left untapped in the machine, seems like a falicy to me.

Well, all that until Halo3. Then I'd be first in line at the store.

Qbas
02-12-2003, 05:04 AM
I want my console to play games not getting another PC because i allready have one PC.

BCan
02-12-2003, 05:43 AM
That is no longer the role of a console, they will now be used as a multipurpose machine, so that it can get a wider infiltration (install base) to cover more costs and for profits.

They will use the approach of "we will get more people to buy it IF it does games AND DVR AND DVD AND photo editing." People would have no need for a PC or video, they could record on the DVR, allowing for more freedom when watching TV. Digital cameras are starting to hit the mainstream, so to allow for editing here takes out the need for a seperate PC.

It's not the I already have a PC, so why get one that does a lot of what a PC does. It is "Why buy a PC when I can get a console/multifunction device that replaces 3 or 4 things in the house" It is getting those that do not have a PC, nor have the money to spend to get one, to buy a device that does a lot more than just play games. It will reach a wider audience.
Remember when your small stereo had only speakers and maybe just a radio, now they have a radio, CD player and tape deck, I don't see anyone complaining about that......

Unreal
02-12-2003, 07:53 AM
As long as I get to play Xbox 1 games on it. Its all good :D

Xbox Owner
02-12-2003, 08:43 AM
People say it's bad for Xbox to be more like a PC. Why? Because it'll have more awesome features? Because it might attract more people? Seriously why is it so bad? I highly doubt the price will go up, I mean, Mircosoft knows they can't price things too high, or it won't be bought. I'm guessing three-hunder dollars, again. Not bad. And photoediting, I'd rather have it, then not have it. Even if I never use it, it'll be something I could showoff.

CrazyCougar
02-12-2003, 10:53 AM
If this is the case I will be just keeping my Xbox 1. I don't like Microsoft and don't agree with their business practices. I will not fall into their little trap as a lot fo people will. Microsoft has done this for years and years, WIN95, WIN98, WIN2000, WINNT, WINME, WINXP, Links series, etc..... No thanks. Yes other companies release rehashed products to but Microsoft seems to be the best at it.

carlbme
02-12-2003, 11:43 AM
It's not something i'll be buying. I'll stick with Nintendo or Sony as long as they don't do this sort of thing.

cya punk
02-16-2003, 08:37 PM
if they come out with something that would allow you to edit the games you are playing . say things that are annoying that you don't want in there . lilke all the advertisements we sometimes have to wait for or skip thru at the beginning of a game. or songs that really suck,
or even horrible voiceovers.......the possibilities are endless ( :

yeah ' now there's a feature worth paying a little extra for !

wbio
02-16-2003, 09:00 PM
I am pretty sure I will be getting an Xbox 2 because I love my Xbox and I am glad that they are going to have the extra features. I just hope the cost won't be too high. I think that with the DVD-R thing in it, it will be a lot more expensive. But who knows what the cost of DVD-Rs will be in a few years.

J Dub
02-16-2003, 09:04 PM
The problem is that the uninformed people out there will go buy the PS3 instead of the XBox 2 if the XBox 2 does not have the multimedia capabilities of the PS3. It's all about competition. One company has to show up the other company. Somebody might say, "Why should I buy a Xbox 2? It just plays games. The PS3 plays games, edits videos, AND records TV shows".

Maybe Microsoft should make the XBox 2 and something like an Xbox 2 Lite, where the Lite would not have the video editing capabilities and whatnot but would just be for the game playing aspect.

shrew king
02-16-2003, 11:15 PM
I don't want to pay extra for all that crap, that is ridiculous some of the stuff they are putting in there. If they don't release a version that doesn't have all that extra crap that just raises the price, then I am going to go with Nintendo, who is supposedly going to keep their console strictly to gaming.

J Dub
02-17-2003, 01:17 AM
Ouch, Nintendo might fall way behind if they do that. That could really hurt them....hurt them bad.

LynxFX
02-17-2003, 02:02 AM
A console will never be just a console. They are and have been evolving into an entertainment hub.

Nintendo already missed out this gen by making their console with the lack of a DVD drive.

Qbas
02-17-2003, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by Lynxfx-XBA
A console will never be just a console. They are and have been evolving into an entertainment hub.

Nintendo already missed out this gen by making their console with the lack of a DVD drive.
You forget the Panasonic Q.

No Fear 23
02-17-2003, 09:44 AM
i have a feeling that Xbox 2 will be bigger than the original xbox.

Unreal
02-17-2003, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by irule23
i have a feeling that Xbox 2 will be bigger than the original xbox.
I dont. Technology will allow the box to be the same size when it is released.

ALC
02-18-2003, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Unreal
I dont. Technology will allow the box to be the same size when it is released.

with the release of this "xbox lite" coming up, Xbox2 will certainly be smaller than the xbox we know and love right now.

canadianboi3
02-18-2003, 09:29 PM
I basically read the same thing Reclaimer. I read it will hook your cable TV through it, and it would have your cable and act like a reciever.