PDA

View Full Version : Splinter Cell 2 - Improvements

adzmullz1
02-14-2003, 04:28 PM
As brilliant as Splinter Cell was , i , like many other fans , are expecting a sequel . And , i think that a few adjustments need to be made if the sequel is going to surpass the original . Here are my ideas for improvements . There are only 8 of them so have a look why don't ya :

1) be able to pick up enemy weapons
I think this is vital . It is a damn shame to see AK-47's just lying on the floor , begging for someone to shoot them . Also , have a wider range of enemy weapons (eg , shotguns , uzis , desert eagles)

2)Females
No , i'm not being funny . I for one do not believe that there is'nt one female working at the CIA . I thought that it might be interesting to see how Sam would be able to interact with a female enemy. Could he bring himself to knock a female out , or even shoot one?

3)Better interaction with allies
I also think that this is vital . Remember the level where you have to save those chinese buisnessmen and those soldiers . Imagine how much easier it would have been if you could have given one of the soldiers your handgun........

4)Hand-to-hand
Yes , i think Sam should be able to fight his enemys without weapons . If they just throw a few punch moves and a few kicks then it will be more realistic .

5)Super weapons
By this i mean two specific weapons . FLAME THROWERS and ROCKET LAUNCHERS . just imagine how cool it would be to see them in Splinter Cell 2.

6)Locations , Locations
Instead of just buildings and offices , how about some places where there is perhaps snow , and Sam has to wear white camoflage , Or , the desert (maybe azerbihjan?)

7)More interaction with Lambert
Remember the level where lambert shuts down the power in that basement place ? , well , i think it would be good if we could REQUEST lambert to do that stuff to.

8)Grappling Hook
I was very frustrated at points during the first game when there were places i could'nt go . If Sam could obtain some hi-tec , hand held grappling hook type thing then maybe that would ease my pain.

9)Magnets
Y'know those magnets that you see people climbing buildings with in some movies , these circular shaped thing that they have on their hands and feet , well i Sam should have access to these , giving US access to all areas .

[oXo]
02-14-2003, 06:21 PM
1st off: I love SC to death but some points CAN be improved...

Biggest wish for me in SC 2 is improved hand to hand combat......throwing an elbow can get a bit old (and is too slow).
I hope Sam and the NPCs can pull out some punches and kicks in SC2.

Also some faster aiming in firing mode could be nice.

Other stuff that could be cool:

I agree with the snow bit....imagine a big remote plant of some sort in some snowy mountains where Sam also might have to swim some parts of the complex to progress.

Ability to crawl and shoot from that position.

"Open World" scenarios where the player is able to snoop more around and explore.

Different endings depending on previous choices (loved that in Deus Ex)

;)

MerimacHamwich
02-14-2003, 07:57 PM
Reasons why some things are not the way you think they should be:

1. Incorporation of the ability to pick up enemy weapons. This is a stealth game. If they incorporated that aspect the game would turn into a Max Payne-ish shoot 'em up.

2. Super Weapons. Same reason as above, I mean, where the heck would these things come from anyhow, and how would you not be noticed while clunking around with them.

3. Interaction with Lambert. It would be pretty cool but they would still have to limit his abilities quite abit. Also, he does as much as he can for you at the beginning of your operations.

I agree with most of your guys' other suggestions though.

shrew king
02-14-2003, 08:03 PM
1) be able to pick up enemy weapons
I think this is vital . It is a damn shame to see AK-47's just lying on the floor , begging for someone to shoot them . Also , have a wider range of enemy weapons (eg , shotguns , uzis , desert eagles)

Me and Merimac were talking about the same thing once, I said what you said and then he reminded me that that would pretty much ruin the game. Think about it, it is a stealth shooter, how stealth are you going to be with a AK-47? One of the things that made Splinter Cell what it was was its strategy, you have to use bullets wisely.

2)Females
No , i'm not being funny . I for one do not believe that there is'nt one female working at the CIA . I thought that it might be interesting to see how Sam would be able to interact with a female enemy. Could he bring himself to knock a female out , or even shoot one?

I hadn't thought of that until now, I don't think I saw one woman through the entirety of Splinter Cell, strange.

3)Better interaction with allies
I also think that this is vital . Remember the level where you have to save those chinese buisnessmen and those soldiers . Imagine how much easier it would have been if you could have given one of the soldiers your handgun........

I think that could be a good improvement, or atleast be able to give them demands as to where to hide and things like that.

4)Hand-to-hand
Yes , i think Sam should be able to fight his enemys without weapons . If they just throw a few punch moves and a few kicks then it will be more realistic .

Another good idea, if it was done right it could be pretty cool.

5)Super weapons
By this i mean two specific weapons . FLAME THROWERS and ROCKET LAUNCHERS . just imagine how cool it would be to see them in Splinter Cell 2.

You are insane my friend, completely insane.

6)Locations , Locations
Instead of just buildings and offices , how about some places where there is perhaps snow , and Sam has to wear white camoflage , Or , the desert (maybe azerbihjan?)

I'd want to see a jungle mission, it'd be cool to be like the alien from Predator and hunt down some troops.

8)Grappling Hook
I was very frustrated at points during the first game when there were places i could'nt go . If Sam could obtain some hi-tec , hand held grappling hook type thing then maybe that would ease my pain.

I think that is a good idea, you should be able to do a mission how you want. I'd like to see massive levels in SC2 that would let you do a mission pretty much anyway you see fit.

The main thing I want in the missions is more freedom, it would take a lot more strategy to do the levels if you had more freedom.

Koopa
02-14-2003, 09:08 PM
well, the replacement uh ..i think its was called "runner" was a girl...after that first guy died.

uh thats the only female I remember seeing.

MerimacHamwich
02-14-2003, 09:38 PM
Yeah, there is that chick. There is also girls in the cutscenes and stuff. There is also Grimmsdottir. As well there is Sams daughter/s.

I think for the freedom aspect, Splinter Cell two could take some notes from Hitman 2. That game doesn't get enough respect, it is absolutely amazing! It sounds like the game everyone wants Splinter Cell to be. I personally love it on PC, I have not tried it on the Xbox yet.

Flood
02-15-2003, 05:06 AM
Originally posted by adzmullz1
There are only 8 of them so have a look why don't ya :

you wrote 9....not 8...You lied to us!!!

adzmullz1
02-15-2003, 05:16 AM
Originally posted by Flood-XBA
you wrote 9....not 8...You lied to us!!!

Oh yeah , i forgot about the magnets . Please forgive my incompetence. By the way , are'nt the magnets a great idea !?

c--b
02-15-2003, 04:30 PM
More freedom doesnt neccisarily mean a better game. I recall when I rented Hitman two (X-box) I wasnt able to sneak (I finnaly figured it out on the last day of the rental (You have to pull one of the triggers ever so slightly (Why not use an anoloug stick?)). I'd try sneaking up on some guys and they would see me, and I'd end up blasting them and passing the level that way. So in short there was too much of a temptation to go blasting, I'd get all these nice weapons that I'd never be able to use if I didnt go blasting. So it essentially ruined the game for me.

But I am not saying Hitman 2 sucked (Entirly), I was deeply amazed at the amount of freedom I was allowed, especially on the mission where you must snipe one of the generals in a room. You have to judge yourself which one is the one you must kill, and getting to the kill point was half the fun! Very fun stuff (Until to get tired of sneaking and go blasting and ruin it for yourself).

One thing I recall wanting in Splinter cell was more interactive environments, I also hated the fact that you could be in a shadow on the ground and you would be completly invisible to your enemies (The game doesnt even account from prespective at all).

adzmullz1
02-15-2003, 05:39 PM
I believe that there should be multiple ways to complete the missions in splinter cell 2 . In the first game , there was only the stealthy way , in splinter cell 2 , we should be able to do it OUR way..........

[oXo]
02-15-2003, 05:59 PM
I think if you hid in total darkness in let's say an alley and someone passed by they wouldn't spot you. The shadow aspect in SC works just fine IMO and is very realistic. Unless of course some guard walks right into you then trouble is to be expected.

I always curse when in other games you go and hide in darkness but they still find you from a far distance...that's not realistic. Of course it hasn't been programmed for this....but still: shadow=hiding place.

Originally posted by c--b
One thing I recall wanting in Splinter cell was more interactive environments, I also hated the fact that you could be in a shadow on the ground and you would be completly invisible to your enemies (The game doesnt even account from prespective at all).

c--b
02-15-2003, 08:00 PM
Standing in the darkest of dark shadows wont make a person invisible to the naked eye (and standing on a shadow thats on the ground makes you invisible apperently), it would make them pitch black, yes but We all know pitch black on a white background is a bad hiding space (Or maybe we can replace this white background with some other well lit surface if you wish)

Heres a little scenario for you, Sam Fisher walks down a street in the shadow of the building to his left, which will be called Building A. Building A is completly darkened because its not facing the sun, Meanwhile Building B (to the right of Sam) is across the street, but instead of being dark its very well lit because its facing the sun.

Now lets say a guard is standing with his back facing Building B he is looking across the street to Building A (Sam is in the middle of the street)

The guard cannot see Sam because he is in the dark, and because the building is dark itself.

Now, lets put the guard's back facing Building A, he will be facing Building B. Sam is still completly black, but because Building B behind him (From the guard's prespective) the guard can see Sam's sillouhette, and therefore should be able to see a man holding a silenced pistol stalking the middle of the streets.

[/example]

The example was how Splinter Cell should work, as that is how it is in real life (And a world based on reality is what the game designers were going for right?)

But how Splinter Cell does work is; so long as you are in a very dark shadow no matter the prespective of the enemy or the brightness/darkness of the objects behind you (From the Enemy prespective) nobody can see you (Unless they bump into you).

There we have it folks, just like Theif 2. I'd like to see Splinter Cell two (If its being produced) rise above the simple "Follow the shadows" gameplay of the Theif series, and Im sure numorous other series.

Dont get me wrong, I love the Theif series and Splinter Cell. But its just a little simple in my opinion for Next Gen systems.

PS: Maybe the player would have to make his body closer to the ground to reduce his visibility/sillouhette??

[oXo]
02-17-2003, 10:24 AM
Okay so you're into shadows....that's cool but this isn't M.I.T. ;)

Some degree of accuracy is achieved in SC regarding the use of shadows. Of course there may be exceptions but the many times I've used the shadows in SC I didn't feel they weren't set up correctly. Never gave it a thought.

PS: I love the THIEF games more than you LOL :p

c--b
02-19-2003, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by [oXo]
I love the THIEF games more than you LOL

No you dont! Because...er uh...Nyah!

Why was this topic moved into the > Strategy games section anyway?