PDA

View Full Version : How do you get xbox online.....in plain english?

maxpower
11-28-2001, 09:42 AM
I've been looking over the gamespy pages....however I've also been looking over the boards and people have been giving all sorts of recommendations.

So in regular english what is the best way to get on if you have
a pc
one nic card
xbox
cable modem

Here's where I get lost...according to gamespy the easiest way is to get a hub but according to a poster who's been online the easiest way is by way of a router(linksys or such).

So what is the definitive way...and of course in plain english...I'm sure others would appreciate this as well....thanks guys..

GLHeX
11-28-2001, 11:36 AM
Hey,

... okay well basicly its like this.

A hub is used in a LAN (local area network) to foward packets from computer to computer.

and generally speaking a Router is used for sending packets from Network to Network.

This isnt so in all cases, but to keep things simple that should do.
people will use a hub at home to network 2-4 computers and allow printer sharring and what not. Also to share a broadband connection.

There is NO REASON why you should dump over $100 into a hub/router to only share a connection with your xbox.

So with this said, dont go out and buy a router. Get a cheap 4 port hub and call it a day. If you run out and buy a router with the soul intent of getting your Xbox online, you can end up spending a lot more money then you should, not to mention you wont be using a fraction of the routers power.

Point = Get a hub.

If you can land a sweet deal on a router and plan to perhaps implement a little more security into your network, then more power to you, otherwise theres no need.

Hope this was of help.

maxpower
11-28-2001, 01:19 PM
Now...the question is what is the definitive way of setting up xbox and pc to a hub and getting it to work with as little hassle as possible.

GLHeX
11-28-2001, 04:13 PM
okay well i used Gamespy the other day with HALO and its pretty good, very little lag here and there, all in all very nice.

Well what you'll want to do is first thing

Download Gamespy Arcade AND Gamespy Tunnel service.

Run game spyarcade to install and get a free acount.
Next close Gamespy Arcade and run the tunnel service. Install it and select your NIC (network interface card) from the drop down menu. The menu will have all communication services listed, that means modems if any. so make sure to select your NIC. hit okay and youre done.

Now that that outta the way. Bust out the brand new hub =]

Plug it into the wall or a power strip to power it up.
Have one CAT5 cable come from the cable modem into the UPLINK port on the back of the hub.

Note that some hubs will have a button or a switch in order to activate the uplink, make sure its on if applicable.

Next have another CAT5 cable comming from your computers NIC and into port 1 on the hub.

Your computer is now conected.

Now take another cable from the Xbox to port 2 on the hub.

Power up your computer and your connection should work fine.

Please keep in mind the distance from the Xbox to the hub. In most cases you will have your hub near your computer, so two of the three CAT5 cables shouldnt need to be so long. Around 5-7 feet if that. Depending on your set up.

At my house, my Xbox is in thje living room and my PC is in my room, there for I use a 100 foot CAT5 cable and run it from here all the way in there.

If you wish to hide the cable without going through the walls, perhaps under the carpet will do, make sure the cable wont be pinched by the nail boards and try to run it around "high traffic areas" Also you could just bust out the cable when its game time, thats your choice.

After the hub is uplinked, and the xbox and computer are both connected,

start gamespy arcade... log in (close the pop ups) and under GAMES on the left select XBOX.

(Note that this will not show up with out the "tunnel service" installed)

After selecting XBOX you'll see an option for HALO, THPS2x, and uhm nascar heat 2002 or something like that.

Select your game and either join a game or make one and wait for people. Once you join a game, there will be a little chat area on the PC. once everyone is ready hit READY at the top. Whoever made the room should make the game on the XBOX, then hit LAUNCH GAME. A voice will say "Launching game" or something like that, then walk to the xbox, wait for the count down (in HALO atleast) and get ready to kick some ass. =]

Once again I hope this helps and you get online soon.

Just another note about the hub... the Computer and Xbox can use any port on the hub they wish, however if you get a 5 port hub, "PORT 5" will NOT uplink.

Its too hard to go into but what ever the amount of ports your hub has, do not use the port directly next to the uplink port. because it WILL NOT uplink....

Port 5 would work fine to network but cannot recieve a uplink.

I hope that makes sence. Just stay away from the last port when trying to uplink (share a connection)

Good day =]\

l Maximus l
11-28-2001, 04:23 PM
Hey, GLHeX, that was really cool of you to explain all of that. I'm somewhat novice to this as well...So, I really appreciate it :)

maxpower
11-28-2001, 05:46 PM
Again I appreciate the step by step explanation GLHex...obviously others appreciate it as well..just gotta get me that hub and cat5 cable.

GLHeX
11-28-2001, 06:33 PM
No problem guys, glad to help.

You can find a hub for about $50 at Bestbuy if theres one in your area.

http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=11008675&m=488&cat=540&scat=1575

Try out that, Linksys makes great products, you cant go wrong with 'em.

As for the CAT5 cables you can pick them up there as well

http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=11009495&m=488&cat=540&scat=1578

Genrally the cables run about 50 cents a foot. However the longer cable you go for genrally the more you save.

If youre looking into a really long cable arounf 100 feet of so youll need to find a computer store in your area, bestbuy probably wont sell anything that long. They might have some 50ft. cables in stock.

So if you see a 7ft cable for like $8, remember you usually get a deal on "bluk" or bigger cables, per foot.

The longest ive seen is a 100 foot, for about $35-$40 dollars.

Snagless is a great way to go, just make sure you get a decently good quality cable, you really dont want to get too cheap when it comes to cables. Asuming you have a cable connection youll already have one cable, so youll just need to pick up two, one for the xbox and another for the PC.

Even though Gamespy arcade will be a temp network, (so to speak) untill the Microsoft network launches its still nice to not have to take your computer offline to play online games with your xbox. =]

have fun and good luck =]

Msterrrr
11-28-2001, 08:49 PM
two quick questions,,
should i be using crossover cables CAT5e cables? from the hub to my x-box

also should the green light be also like it is for my PC

i went to games spy but the x-box was never detected

LynxFX
11-28-2001, 09:06 PM
No do not get a crossover cable when you are connecting to the hub. A crossover cable is only if you were going from pc to pc with no router or hub inbetween, ie xbox to xbox.

I haven't tried the network adapter in the xbox yet so not sure on the greenlight. If it has one then it should turn on when you are connected to your hub. It just means that power is coming through.

Rancey
11-28-2001, 09:08 PM
I have to admit I am a novice, but am I to assume I can't just use a crossover cable and not worry about buying a hub?

Msterrrr
11-28-2001, 09:12 PM
acckkkkkkkkkkkk
hope radio shack takes returns!! ..lol

ty for the info maybe i'll keep em to link some x-boxes up when the boys come over

gidevil_54
11-29-2001, 08:44 AM
thanks to all the guys who posted all that information it was a lot of help, but I still have a problem :(

I have a USB cable modem connection :rolleyes: can I still get this to work with a hub??

maxpower
11-29-2001, 01:50 PM
Walmart has a 4 port usb hub....but it doesn't seem right.
Are all hubs usb? Because that is all the mart carries. Oh and
while I'm asking that...the mart also carries cat5 cables but they are cat5 e. Does that make a difference? Thanks again.

Msterrrr
11-29-2001, 01:54 PM
ty
for all the help i was just online with halo
played 3 matches with some lag,, but others have played played with out any

i dont know why they even mention crossover cables at the site you dont use them

see ya on halo!! again thx for the help
btw i have the same name there also:D :D

Msterrrr
11-29-2001, 02:03 PM
im not sure about the hub but the one im using is linksys 10/100 work grouphub,, just follow GLHex instructions for set up,, he nailed it ,,, very simple

as far as cables go im using CAT5

CAT5e i think are the crossovers<not sure on that>,,and thats for linking xbox to xbox not what you need to connect your xbox to the hub:D

GLHeX
11-29-2001, 04:39 PM
Hey maxpower

Make sure what youre looking at isnt a "USB Hub" meaning a HUB that links several USB connections.

Basicly you can turn one USB port into 4 with that.

Who was the maker? I dont think Linksys or Netgear makes a line of USB hubs, but perhaps.

The most common maker of hubs youll find in retail stores such as walmart or staples is probably Netgear, and perhaps Linksys also.

As for the CAT5e "e" Stands for 'Enhanced' These wires are backwards compatable so if you pick one up you need not worry.
The wiring in "5e" is just made to handle a higher capacity then that of the "5"

They 'say' capacitance, frequency, resistance, attenuation, and imedance are all "enhanced" with the "5e" cable but honeslty for what the xbox will be doing you shouldnt feel/notice really any difference between the two. But again dont freak if you picked one up, it should work just fine.

I recomend you take a look at perhaps bestbuy.com or staples.com and check out the hubs they offer, the makers and the prices so you know what to look for when you go to walmart.

I added a link up top at bestbuy.com check out the hubs there and just read the features and what not.

If you have any question on a term goto www.whatis.com
its perhaps the biggest IT dictionary ever. If you dont know what Mbps is or even if you want to know more about a crossover cable and what sets it apart from standard cables, please go there, its a GREAT way to learn some more about whats up =]

maxpower
11-29-2001, 07:46 PM
You're just going above and beyond...thanks for all the additional info. I'll be heading to bestbuy tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully I should be online tomorrow night....fingers crossed.

maxpower
11-30-2001, 06:04 PM
Yup, Thanks to everyone for making this one of the simplest techie rigged contraptions ever. Especially GLHeX. I spent more time deciding what length of cable to get than connecting the getup and being online.....Thanks again.

Frostberg
11-30-2001, 08:55 PM
On gamespy, they have pics of various setups. They have a pic of a USB cable modem into a comp, then a crossover cable plugged into a NIC and straight to the xbox. So if I have a usb DSL modem can I just get a crossover cable and use my NIC and be all set?