PDA

View Full Version : So what's the new RPG's out

SoccerCJM77
02-17-2003, 10:37 AM
Yeah I heard of Morrowmind and that's about it. But the thing is that I never plyed it and I want to play it soon. My mom won't let me play my XBOX until my grades go up. My grades are going up but I still have to wait until repot cards. Well when I get at the A average my mom will let me probaly buy a game. So would this be a good choice to get, Morrowmind. I heard a lot of good things about is. Also can you tell me the new RPG's coming out for the XBOX. I wish Zelda would come to XBOX but I know it never will.:p

Shadow20002
02-18-2003, 02:11 PM
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance is for you, Morrowind is something more complex than any RPG available for Xbox, preserve for hardcore fans only. :rolleyes:

SoccerCJM77
02-18-2003, 04:15 PM
I'm a huge fan of RPg adventure games but the thing is that I haven't bought a Rpg yet for the XBOX. The last great RPG game I played was ZELDA, and that game is like Hardcore according to me. It's my favorite game out of any gaming console.

xboxman_1
02-18-2003, 04:33 PM
I don't even think of Zelda as an RPG....and Morrowind is definitely a hard-core game. EXTREMELY addicting.

Dulacc
02-22-2003, 07:05 AM
Zelda was definitely NOT an RPG.

It's Fantasy! It's got swords and magic and stuff.

But your success is based on your mastery of the controls, and that puts it out of the RPG realm.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the Zelda series.

But none of them were RPGs.

Rancey
02-22-2003, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by Dulacc

But your success is based on your mastery of the controls, and that puts it out of the RPG realm.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the Zelda series.

But none of them were RPGs.

Morrowind has "swords and magic and stuff.", so what's your point?

Nameless
02-22-2003, 01:38 PM

*claps*
O way to go! You manged to make yourself look like a complete ass :rolleyes:.

I believe Zelda games qualify as Action/Adventure.

TheCovenant
02-22-2003, 06:31 PM
i think zelda falls into the action adventure game genre also......

but it does have a lot of the elements needed to make an rpg great..............:confused:

Dulacc
02-25-2003, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by Nameless
*claps*
O way to go! You manged to make yourself look like a complete ass :rolleyes:.

I believe Zelda games qualify as Action/Adventure.

How did I make myself look like a complete ass?

I think you were just looking in a mirror at the time.

xboxman_1
02-25-2003, 09:42 PM
I just knew there was a bad comeback around this thread somewhere....O, there it is!!!!

Thats pretty old.

But really, you kind of did I mean, you said:

Tons of games have that.....that really doesnt make it a fantasy game.

Nameless
02-26-2003, 01:26 PM

This is how you made an ass of yourself. Loads of games have swords and magic.

How did I make myself look like a complete ass?

Also, that "comeback", just furthered your standing of ass.

Kraft
02-26-2003, 02:10 PM
Knock it off. Last time I checked, the thread titles had something to do with RPG's, not whether or not someone is an ass. As far as whether Zelda is an Action/Adventure or RPG... thats a tough call to make. Zelda manages to walk the fine line between these two genres by including aspects from both of them, but not developing them enough to really include the game in that category.

Yes, you could get new shields in zelda just like in an RPG... actually, you could get 2 new shield... most RPGs have a little more variety than that. On the other hand, the fighting sequences are very action based and fly in the face of most RPG systems out there... but then again, the game is not toally linear whereas most A/A games are incredibly linear. I consider this game an Action/RPG as there are two ways you can think about it. One way to think of it is as a really really complex Action/Adventure game. The other way to think of it is a really really dumbed down RPG. Either way, it is a great game regardless.

Slayer02
02-27-2003, 12:21 AM
Oh joy! Hehe, Morrowind is a great game that kept me playing for over two months and at least two hours a day (go the math thats over 60 hours of gameplay) Theres tons of stuff to do, a cool main quest, completely open ended (you don't have to do the main quest, you can be a thief and steal pillows if you want) Almost everything is lootable down to the silverware and buckets. Theres also in game books that are short but very well written (Theres some really funny ones and some really cool but creepy ones and they just add to the depth of the game) You can also become a renegade to society and contract vampirism. Theres soooooooo much to do. **EDIT I forgot to mention theres three vampire clans you can join (depends what type of vampire you contract the disease from) that you can do quests for plus theres three houses you can join (only one per character) and three guilds (you can join all three of these) and all have there own set of quests which can last a long time. Theres also tons of stuff to collect (Sets of books, legendary items, souls, and so forth) but if you have a PC that can run it I would buy it for PC. The pc version is much better (theres one expansion already out and another one coming) Not to mention you can make your own expansions via the tool set that comes with the game (no set for xbox :()

EHWfedPres
02-27-2003, 10:49 AM
Zelda is not an rpg, its an action/adventure game...hell, the stupid ass new one thats out is more or less a platformer now...

Cloud Strife
02-27-2003, 11:21 AM
Xbox has no real RPG games and it never will have to many because of its performance in Japan. If you want RPG games, support PS2 or PSone like I do. I don't even touch my Xbox anymore because it has no real RPG games. I don't know people here are trying to make Morrowind, Fable, etc. into RPG games. They are Action/Adventure games with boring hack and slash gameplay. Japanese games are not repitative like western games. I can say that the reason people here try to say Morrowind is a real RPG game is because Xbox doesn't have a real RPG games and it never will besides PSO and Metal Dungeon. RPG games have lots of characters interaction and lots of level building. RPG games are suppossed to revolve around a deep storyline like Xenosaga, Final Fantasy, Suikoden, Wild Arms, Dark Cloud 2, etc. These have been the real RPG games until Xbox came along with its Action/Adventure titles that people call RPG games that are now. I'm sticking to Playstation and PS2 for RPG games. I am disapointed in my Xbox right now.:mad:

RudedogX
02-27-2003, 12:23 PM
Burning,
You really don't want me to open this can of worms up again! I have stated it before, and I'll state it again, each area/region has it's own definition of what make an RPG. A Japanese rpg, many Americans would say that is not a real RPG. In other words...this thread isn't about what makes an RPG, it is about what "RPGs" are coming out.

And one more thing...Burning, I really could care less that you stopped paying attention to the XBox.:rolleyes:

Kraft
02-27-2003, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Burning Ranger
RPG games have lots of characters interaction and lots of level building. RPG games are suppossed to revolve around a deep storyline like Xenosaga, Final Fantasy, Suikoden, Wild Arms, Dark Cloud 2, etc. These have been the real RPG games until Xbox came along with its Action/Adventure titles that people call RPG games that are now.

Hmm... Morrowind has over 1000 NPCs that you can interact with... It also has a realtime leveling system where you advance levels by using skills, not necessarily just by killing enemies... and as far as the story line, the story line is so in depth that they found it futile to do it with voicework as there is so freaking much of it... Seems morrowind has met and surpassed all of your requirements. Not only that, but the standard approach to linearity has been cut out, so now you can choose your role and actually develope your character in real time, something none of your PS games allow you to do.

Burning, it is stupid to run around trying to say you know what an RPG is because you play japanese games. Take a step back and look at yourself, as you are yelling something akin to "My car has 4 doors, since yours has 2 it's not really a car. Besides, mine was made in Japan." 1. They are both cars (and all those games you mentioned including morrowind are RPGs) and 2. noone here cares where the game is made... why? Because WE are hardcore gamers and don't look at where it was made and who it was made by. We look at the game itself. Time to grow up a little.

Dulacc
02-28-2003, 06:27 AM
This is how you made an ass of yourself. Loads of games have swords and magic.

Also, that "comeback", just furthered your standing of ass.

Obviously, you are what, 10?

I was arguing that Zelda was NOT an rpg, not that it was. If you knew how to read, you would recognize that.

Get a clue, tool.

Nameless
03-01-2003, 02:16 PM
Obviously, you are what, 10?

I was arguing that Zelda was NOT an rpg, not that it was. If you knew how to read, you would recognize that.

Get a clue, tool.

No I'm not 10 :rolleyes:. Also I know you were arguing Zelda is not an RPG, I even came out and said it, maybe you should learn to read. Next time tho if you want to argue a game is not an RPG come up with something better thatn "It's fantasy! It has swords and magic!" :rolleyes:.

Dulacc
03-02-2003, 10:29 PM
No I'm not 10 :rolleyes:. Also I know you were arguing Zelda is not an RPG, I even came out and said it, maybe you should learn to read. Next time tho if you want to argue a game is not an RPG come up with something better thatn "It's fantasy! It has swords and magic!" :rolleyes:.

I suppose I didn't expand on my point enough. Why I mentioned that is that some people might mistake Zelda for a RPG just because it has a fantasy theme to it, likening it to D&D. My point was that that fact wasn't enough to put it in the RPG category.

Is that better?