PDA

View Full Version : How many players can you get playing online in Halo as of now?

HaloElite
11-28-2001, 11:39 AM
Can you have like a 16 player deathmatch? or can you only get like 3-4 people? Also--do you have to pay for the Gamespy arcade? I downloaded the tunnel, but the arcade says it's 20 bucks so I don't wanna do it. I really wanna play Halo online so any information would be appreciated.

Toonz
11-28-2001, 05:41 PM
I have heard up to 4 peeps thus far with a awsome internet connection as the host. With Cable you can only play 1 on 1 and only if your ping is real low ( around 70 ) Gamespy is free but you have to look at Advertising and stuff. The $20 bucks gets you Tech support and removes the ad banners.:)

MaxPain
11-28-2001, 05:48 PM
And I wish someone besides gamespy supported Halo, It seems to be laggier on all GS's servers for all games :mad: :mad:

LynxFX
11-29-2001, 01:40 AM
I found 4 people on Halo was very laggy. Tried a bunch of different servers. None were all that great and I'm on cable (a fast steady cable).

I haven't tried this yet but there is a linux version to online gaming. It came out before GS. I haven't tried it yet. You need to either have linux installed or it will make a bootdisk that will install and run a custom version of linux just for the xbox. It supports all of the online games thus far so maybe you can get some better pings and over all game play. Check it out at

http://www.xboxgw.com/index.html

Has anyone tried that version yet? Otherwise if this is what we have to look forward to for online gaming then I am very VERY dissappointed. Hope they work out the kinks.

Reverend Love
11-29-2001, 01:46 AM
Dude, all of these are OFFICIALLY unsupported means of online play, that meaning that while they work it's not the means in which the X-Box was intended to use.

Also stay away from the Linux solution. They're using VPNs as a means of fooling the X-Box into thinking their both on the same subnet....trust me VPNs suck wobbles!

Cough up the money for a hub and kick the crap outta a buddy that way, no lag and you'll have the convenience and fun of trash talking.

Reverend Love

LynxFX
11-29-2001, 06:30 AM
I have a hub. Hubs aren't the problem. It is the software and anti-lag programming in the software. (ie gamespy's or the linux one) Unless you are just talking about getting 4 friends with xbox's over to my place and hooking up. That is out of the question. Only I get to play on my 110" screen. :)

After reading some other boards the verdict is that GS is easier but slower and the linux one is faster but more complicated to run. The people over at xboxgw are almost done with a windows version of their software. I hope that it works out some of the kinks that others are finding, like LAG.

I wonder how Microsoft's version is going to act.

jeah
11-29-2001, 01:35 PM
I just got done playing 4 player halo. 2 on my xbox and then two other xbox's on gamespy. Sometimes it was a little laggy and once it was unplayable for about a minute but it was deffinitly good enough to play well. It was a lot of fun.

MaxPain
11-29-2001, 01:46 PM
hey, how many people are there playing Halo online this early? seems like it would be hard to get a game going? maybe im wrong :D

Toonz
11-29-2001, 04:54 PM
Whe last I looked there were 222 people logged on playin Halo. That was Tuesday night.

LynxFX
11-29-2001, 09:09 PM
I played at 8AM this morning before work with no trouble finding people. That's a good sign. :)

shoulda2
11-29-2001, 09:21 PM
Some games have NO lag ( was in one with 9 peeps never skipped a frame) and sometimes you get mad lag with just 2-3 peeps. it is all about the host kicking high ping players :)