PDA

View Full Version : Xbox beats Gamecube In Japan

shrew king
02-17-2003, 03:35 PM
Here you go:

Xbox Outsells GameCube In Japan
17 Feb 2003 11:25 GMT

Alan Dykes
Figures for the end of January represent a milestone for Microsoft's console.
Microsoft's Xbox console has beaten Nintendo's GameCube for the first time since it launched, according to sales figures compiled by Shukan Fami-tsu Data Inc, which collates information from Japan's seven biggest videogame retailers, as well as the independent sector.

For the week ending Friday 31 January the Xbox sold 8,862 units, versus 8,177 GameCubes - and in the same week Xbox software sales accounted for an unprecedented 16 percent of the market, mainly led by Tecmo's Dead Or Alive: Extreme Beach Volleyball.

Sony will hardly be troubled by the news though - although PS2 sales were down week on week, it still managed to shovel more than 58,000 consoles out of the door, helped no doubt by an astonishing 309,279 first-week sales for Capcom's Devil May Cry 2.

Another significant milestone is about to be hit by Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire. Although their combined sales are now down to 'just' over 33,000 units a week, a grand total of nearly four million have been sold since launch last November.

Source: http://www.gamer.tv/page/feature/3401606.htm

Bravo_2
02-17-2003, 04:53 PM
Bout damn time we have some good news.

Cloud Strife
02-17-2003, 06:04 PM
Actually, that's incorrect. I have a link that shows GC outselling Xbox in Japan http://www.the-magicbox.com/topten.htm

I'm posting here right now because I couldn't get comfortable posting anywhere else.

LynxFX
02-17-2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Burning Ranger
Actually, that's incorrect. I have a link that shows GC outselling Xbox in Japan http://www.the-magicbox.com/topten.htm

Actually the link you posted has nothing to do with the link that shrew king posted since they are two different months. Check your dates.

Cloud Strife
02-17-2003, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Lynxfx-XBA
Actually the link you posted has nothing to do with the link that shrew king posted since they are two different months. Check your dates. It may have that week but that still doesn't equal total sales for the year though. Nintendo will still have Japan because Pokemon games sell millions.

I will say that I want Xbox to continue selling better than GC in Japan but I can't guarntee it.

Xbox Owner
02-17-2003, 06:20 PM
OMG.. you think we don't know that BR. Seriously.:rolleyes:

ANYWAY, good news.:)

shrew king
02-17-2003, 06:20 PM
Actually, that's incorrect.

No it isn't.

Cloud Strife
02-17-2003, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by shrew king
No it isn't. That still is no where near what PS2 sells in Japan. GC has already sold over 2 million systems there Xbox sold just 350,000 systems there. PS2 has over 10 million systems in Japan. It would be tough for Xbox to catch up. Plus, the Xbox would have to have at least 1 million system to get Konami back to developing games for it.

It was my fault that I didn't get the dates correct.

MerimacHamwich
02-17-2003, 06:28 PM
Man, I thought this fool left. Burning Ranger, I tried to get some respect for you but I just keep losing it.

Qbas
02-17-2003, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by MerimacHamwich
Man, I thought this fool left. Burning Ranger, I tried to get some respect for you but I just keep losing it.
Why? Because he supports PS2?

ShannonX
02-17-2003, 07:13 PM
Microsoft has never had any hope of catching gamecube in japan, nor the ps2 worldwide nor have they stated anything close to saying that. Microsofts main base is the United States and parts of europe where they are being very competitive with the gamecube.

shrew king
02-17-2003, 07:23 PM
That still is no where near what PS2 sells in Japan.

We aren't talking about the PS2. You think I don't know what you are telling me?

GC has already sold over 2 million systems there Xbox sold just 350,000 systems there.

Is this thread called: "XBOX BEATS GAMECUBE IN SALES OVERALL!"?

I'll answer it for you: No.

Why? Because he supports PS2?

I would guess it is because he is an attention whore.

Shadow20002
02-17-2003, 07:31 PM
Just because of the ultra extreme sexiest game ever made by Tecmo: Dead or Alive Extreme Volleyball !!! Anyway, good news !! :rolleyes:

shrew king
02-18-2003, 09:20 PM
Bump =)

l Maximus l
02-19-2003, 12:29 AM
That's really good news. For a long time, I was thinking that the Japanese were completely blind from greatness. :o

DOOM
02-21-2003, 08:37 AM
Awesome News!!!:)

Brutal Grace
02-24-2003, 01:47 PM
Speaking of Capcom, I will wonder along with Mikami-san just how many of those PlayStation2's are replacements.

Thanks for the news, shrew king. Better to be the bearer of good tidings. :D There is an as yet barely-tapped hardcore gamer market for Xbox and Xbox games in Japan.