PDA

View Full Version : Lan Party with a hub ?

Toonz
02-19-2003, 09:03 PM
I've never tried playing Xbox sytem link with a hub before only a router. Is it as simple as just plugging in each Xbox to the hub with a standard piece of Cat5 and were off to the fragging ? Thanks in advance.

J Dub
02-19-2003, 09:04 PM
Yep, it's exactly the same. You just need standard CAT 5 cables.

If you are going to connect the Xboxes directly without a hub you need crossover cables.

Toonz
02-19-2003, 09:07 PM
kewl thanks I thought that was the case. We have a spare hub kicking around since we all upgraded to routers and just wanted to save ourselfs a extra car trip back to pick one up on Friday night.

BCan
02-22-2003, 03:06 AM
If anyone is struggling with how to link up XBOX's, look online for PC networking guides, since it uses the same principles...

Toonz
02-22-2003, 10:44 AM
Yeah it wasn't so much a struggle as I figured it work fine but before we hauled 3 T.V's rented some games and bought beer I wanted to make it would work.

Thanks for responses guys

l Maximus l
02-22-2003, 01:03 PM
Also, keep in mind that if you need to extend a CAT 5 patch cable, if you use a female/female adapter and connect another CAT 5 patch cable, it actually turns it into a Crossover. Add another one and it turns it back into a patch cable.

The rule of thumb is to use patch cables when in the presence of a HUB, Switch, or Router.

When hooking two peices of hardware without a HUB, Switch, or a Router, then, you use a Crossover. So, if it's two computers, two XBoxes, or a computer and an XBox, etc...just use the Crossover.

Also, the final rule of thumb is when in the presence of beer, invite Maximus over to play :D

Toonz
02-22-2003, 01:23 PM
lol thanks for the info Max. We hooked up 4 Xboxes in this case and are pulling a all weekender. Just taking a break right now for meals and such.

l Maximus l
02-22-2003, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Toonz
lol thanks for the info Max. We hooked up 4 Xboxes in this case and are pulling a all weekender. Just taking a break right now for meals and such.

Nice! Four Boxes is sweet...even if you don't have 16 people. I have a buddy that is a police officer and his department has projectors that you can hook your XBoxes to. Each projector projects an image on the wall that's roughly 80" large and sometimes larger. He sets four of these up on seperate walls (with white construction paper to elimate the textures on the wall to have a flat surface) and it rocks!

The only downfall is that the audio is not very superior, but, you can hook speakers up to them. But, he doesn't have any larger speakers to hook up. Yes, they produce sound, just not earth shaking :D

But, yeah, playing Halo in a LAN is bad ass... Damn, I would show up if I lived locally! Seriously, I'm always up for Halo LAN gaming!

Toonz
02-22-2003, 01:50 PM
Sounds kewl hehe. I just started as 1'st year electrican for a company that supply's the airport with 50" Plasma screens for arrivals/departures info and they ocassionally host lan parties at the shop where they play RTCW on them beacause they have to keep a stock of them for replacements and such. I'm hoping to turn them to " Dark Side " and get some HALO action happening there. As you said sound might be a problem though.

Snake Eyez
02-22-2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Maximus-XBA
Nice! Four Boxes is sweet...even if you don't have 16 people. I have a buddy that is a police officer and his department has projectors that you can hook your XBoxes to. Each projector projects an image on the wall that's roughly 80" large and sometimes larger. He sets four of these up on seperate walls (with white construction paper to elimate the textures on the wall to have a flat surface) and it rocks!

Tuesday night will be an 8 Xbox GR night. We are going to play in the hospital because they have TVs where we study. I tried the projector thing, but it made it to hard to snipe because the quality of the picture wasn't as good. Some of us in the class that play can't check out and A/V equipment now because they heard what we do with it. It is somewhat related to education. Very loosely related though.

BCan
02-25-2003, 06:13 AM
It would seriously depend on the quality of the projector as to whether it is viable to use it to play games...

It would need to be either a LCD or DLP XGA resolution projector, since SVGA is no better than 640x480, XGA being 1024x768 - that is where the quality of the picture would be infinitely better...