PDA

View Full Version : Halo the Movie?

Stormlord
02-22-2003, 09:55 PM
I don't know if this was posted earlier but I read this in an e-mail sent to me by GameSpy:

Talent agency Creative Artists Agency last year negotiated with Microsoft Game Studios to turn its first-party PC and Xbox Games into TV shows or movies, The Hollywood Reporter states. The company aims for a feature film based on Xbox action title Halo, while it collaborates with Oddworld creators Lorne Lanning and Sherry McKenna to bring their vision of Abe beyond the game realm and into TV and movies. Already CAA represents Will Wright -- who is pitching two TV show concepts based on The Sims franchise -- and former Microsoft executive Jordain Weisman and his new company Wizkids, which hopes to bring its fantasy role-playing game Mage Knights to linear entertainment. The article also quotes American McGee and Todd Hollenshead.

From what it says is that they want to make a Halo movie. But is it just me or do a lot of movies based on games suck? If Halo ever does have a film created for it I hope Bungie makes sure they don't screw it up. :( :confused: :eek:

Stormlord
02-22-2003, 10:02 PM
Sorry for the spam. I didn't mean to have 2 threads started. My comp is acting like a retard lately. Can any moderator please close one of the threads? Thanks to whoever does it. :) :D :D :cool:

GokuX
02-22-2003, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by Stormlord
But is it just me or do a lot of movies based on games suck?

It's just you. J/k, actually yeah pretty much all games based on movies are terrible. I think Final Fantasy was actually the best movie with a video game name. I think game to movie conversions end up stinking because the people making it write a story that really just stinks and doesn't follow the game at all. I think if they actually were more true to the game then it wouldn't be so bad. Yes I realize some games like Streetfighter and Mortal Kombat don't have much of a storyline, but look at MK: Annihilation and tell me that storyline was any better than just making a movie focusing soley on the tournament, kinda like Bloodsport rather than some goofy adventure with Raiden and the gang. I am 95% sure if they make a Halo movie, it will be some dumb story that doesn't resemble the game at all and will be crammed into an 1 hour and 30 minute film. For example, in the movie Master Chief has to battle with thoughts of a dead wife while at the same struggling to fit in as a genetically enhanced human. Meanwhile he has to rescue a little girl that is his long lost daughter from the clutches of the Covenant. You can see how pathetically this movie would shape up to be.

Bravo_2
02-22-2003, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by GokuX
actually yeah pretty much all games based on movies are terrible.

:confused: Anyone find the part that's wrong in the sentence? Winnar gets 2 points!

Slacker
02-23-2003, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by Bravo_2
:confused: Anyone find the part that's wrong in the sentence? Winnar gets 2 points!

he needs to switch Games and Movies , 2 points

Xbox Owner
02-23-2003, 10:52 AM
the only way they'll be able to make it is if they use computer animation.. if not it'll cost like 500000 billion dollers

canadianboi3
02-23-2003, 11:32 AM
Anyone find the part that's wrong in the sentence? Winnar gets 2 points!

I SEE IT!! WINNAR

xboxman_1
02-23-2003, 05:53 PM
How the hell are they gonna make a movie/TV show out of the Sims?

shrew king
02-23-2003, 06:24 PM
A TV show would suck, and a movie probably would too. Think about the story for Halo: You are a SPARTAN who wakes up in turmoil and is sent to a strange Ring world. You fight the aliens and in the end you get off the ring world within seconds, the movie ends with the planet exploding and you getting out just in time.

Might cliche'd wouldn't you say?

Nameless
02-23-2003, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by xboxman_1
How the hell are they gonna make a movie/TV show out of the Sims?

I believe it's called "The Real World".

ShannonX
02-23-2003, 06:38 PM
a movie sucking is a personal opinion. Yes, a majority of people might not like the movie, but if one person likes it, you cant say it "sucked". You can say, the opinion of the majority was that the movie sucked. Just like alot of people thought the Resident Evil movie was bad, i thought it was awesome and have watched it in the theater and other sources several times.

xboxman_1
02-23-2003, 06:42 PM
Agreed Shannon, but I think its pretty much agreed throughout the land that the following movies SUCKED:

Mario.. :dont remember the full name because I had a seizure the first time I watched it

Tomb Raider: also cannot remember the full name

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within (was actually ok)

what other games have been made into movies? I liked Resident Evil so I didn't consider it.

GokuX
02-23-2003, 07:25 PM
Agreed Shannon, but I think its pretty much agreed throughout the land that the following movies SUCKED:

Mario.. :dont remember the full name because I had a seizure the first time I watched it

what other games have been made into movies? I liked Resident Evil so I didn't consider it.

Mortal Kombat..the first movie was alright, but they were smoking something when they slapped Annihilation together.

xboxman_1
02-23-2003, 07:46 PM
AAhhhh yes, how could I forget the crappy MK: Annihilation. Crappiest movie ever?? Of course not, as long as Mario is around that is.

ShannonX
02-23-2003, 08:11 PM

never watched mario... tomb raider was good in my opinion, final fantasy was good too.

y2kash_14
02-23-2003, 11:20 PM
the Mario movie was a joke, Tomb Raider wasn't bad, Final Fantasy was boooring, the only movie based on a game that i thought was actually quite good was the first MK movie (Annihilation was horrible)

GokuX
02-24-2003, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by Shannon-XBA
never watched mario... tomb raider was good in my opinion, final fantasy was good too.

I thought TR had potential when I saw the commericals, however it seemed like the main focus of the movie- the time device thing, took around 15 minutes to deal with and resolve. The other stuff in the movie that took up the majority of the time seemed extraneous and unimportant IMO.

Reclaimer
02-24-2003, 01:32 AM
I agree with the statement mentioned above that there's too much in Halo to be crammed into a 1.5 hour long flick. How much of the story line will be cut, just to make time? Every battle in every location means something in the story, and it seems like there would be too much to cover in the period of a movie. I doubt they'll give Halo a 3 hour treatment. And like mentioned above, they'll probably throw some stupid story curves in there to give it more of a human drama, so that it'll appeal to a much larger audience. Coratana longs to be human....... How can she cope with her love for Master Chief? It'll happen. I promise.

Strangely, this isn't the first time I've heard this. Awhile back I read an article on an online news source that Universal was considering the movie and tried to get the director, (I forgot his name.. Joel something) the guy who made "The Rock", and "Black Hawk Down." Maybe it'll happen, but I shudder at the travesty that could occur. I still wretch when I see Street Fighter: The Movie on TV. Raul Julia, what where you thinking?

ShannonX
02-24-2003, 08:52 AM
in my opinion "most" movies based on games are pretty decent.. but when they start basing games on movies, thats where they should just pack up and go home. I haven't played a game based on a movie yet that i've thought was worth the effort to put the dvd in the xbox dvd-rom tray.

JJaX
02-24-2003, 11:03 AM
If they do make a halo movie, you know theres going to be some love story thrown in there. :rolleyes: Ninja claps in happiness

But the best way to do halo, would be a HBO mini series, Go through thr fall of reach etc....
(spartan project blah blah blah)

The general public doesnt deserve to know about Halo. And hollywood is just gonna F it up.

GokuX
02-24-2003, 01:27 PM
in my opinion "most" movies based on games are pretty decent.. but when they start basing games on movies, thats where they should just pack up and go home. I haven't played a game based on a movie yet that i've thought was worth the effort to put the dvd in the xbox dvd-rom tray.

Goldeneye? Not only the best movie to game translation of all time, but also the greatest console FPS ever. It set the standard by which all others are judged, even Halo which is now becoming the standard.

shrew king
02-24-2003, 09:36 PM
Goldeneye? Not only the best movie to game translation of all time, but also the greatest console FPS ever. It set the standard by which all others are judged, even Halo which is now becoming the standard.

Goldeneye is the greatest 'movie to game' game ever IMO. Most are just put together on short notice to promote the movie.

xboxman_1
02-24-2003, 09:46 PM
Am I the only person in the world who liked Perfect Dark better??? Someone back me up on this, I mean, it had more weapons, they all had a secondary mode, more bots, better graphics, etc....yet it was still basically the same. I think the Halo multiplayer could take a lesson from the PD multi.

ShannonX
02-24-2003, 10:02 PM

note: that i've played. I've not played goldeneye, but I have played perfect dark which i've heard was very similar to it. So i'm sure it was a good game.

GokuX
02-25-2003, 12:45 AM
note: that i've played. I've not played goldeneye, but I have played perfect dark which i've heard was very similar to it. So i'm sure it was a good game.

Yeah Perfect Dark was technically better, however for GE players like myself it didn't have the same magic to it that GE did. The best way I can equate this is to use Gran Tourismo as an example. Keep in mind of course that when PD came out my friends and I had been playing GE for 3 years. Anyways it'd be like playing Gran Tourismo for a long time, you know the ins and outs etc. You are expecting a sequel and the company announces a new title that is supposed to be the sequel. It has better graphics, more cars, more tracks, and more gameplay modes so it's technically better than Gran Tourismo. However the company didn't secure the licenses to any of real world cars found in GT so they had to create their own cars and names. Sure the game is technically better but it just isn't as good as the original because it's missing the thing that gives it the special x factor. This is what I think about PD, and I believe GE was much better. I'd say Spiderman is probably the second best movie to game translation. It strayed from the movie plot a bit with the scorpion, the lizard, etc, but it managed to return you to the movie plot at times and was compelling enough for me to finish all the way through.

SPARTAN VI
02-25-2003, 02:06 AM
Well, when I was new here, I made a little vid for you guys. I didn't exactly get the warmest welcome from some of you... *cough* Canadianboi *cough* but I was looking for a laugh. This is the one and only little Halo vid I made to inspire some you guys to make your own. But... some of you guys chose to insult it...

http://www.xboxaddict.com/forums/attachment.php?postid=284434

[EDIT]Wow, I've improved...:cool:

Insane Jester
02-25-2003, 09:02 AM
id like to see one made like final fantasy rather than a tomb raider or resident evil type movie. i think if resident evil was made same way as final fantasy it would have rocked.

ShannonX
02-25-2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by SPARTAN VI
Well, when I was new here, I made a little vid for you guys. I didn't exactly get the warmest welcome from some of you... *cough* Canadianboi *cough* but I was looking for a laugh. This is the one and only little Halo vid I made to inspire some you guys to make your own. But... some of you guys chose to insult it...

http://www.xboxaddict.com/forums/attachment.php?postid=284434

[EDIT]Wow, I've improved...:cool:

LOL, i remember that, i'd forgotten all about it till you posted the link to it.. :D

STEATH_MECH
02-27-2003, 11:21 PM
golden eye was good because it had the love story built in to the game automaticly and the game was based on the movie not the other way around. and i thought mortal kombat was pretty good(my opion).

GokuX
02-28-2003, 09:31 AM
GE used the actual movie set blueprints for some of it's levels. I saw the movie after I had played GE and noticed some things like the staircase in the facilitiy right where it should be.

SiGuy
03-02-2003, 02:17 PM
It seemed like most of the game layout was extremely similar or matching to the movie. It was great cuz I watched the movie after I had beaten the game and I knew most the whole story line