PDA

View Full Version : where are the rpg's????????????????



sniperdoggy
02-23-2003, 02:27 AM
xbox is getting its ass whopped in this genre when will xbox get some good rpg's xbox has like what 2 decent ones and ps2 has 20 good ones!!!!

Shadow20002
02-23-2003, 11:16 AM
Be patient...i know Xbox is very lacking off in this section. A good one is on the way..Star Wars: KOTOR. ;)

ThomasHun
02-23-2003, 12:54 PM
They need to get they a$$ in gear, I'm tired of waiting.

bob808
02-23-2003, 01:45 PM
I cant wait for swkotor, fable, sw galaxies and some massive multplayer ones too.... Bring them on!
Morrowind was the sh*t!! when they're that good, they're worth the wait in my opinion.

MixMasta
02-23-2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by ThomasHun
They need to get they a$$ in gear, I'm tired of waiting.

i agree, but hopefully all these delays will equal phenomonal(sp?) rpgs!

kotor, fable, and sudeki all look and sound great, lets hope they are worth the wait!

Dre
02-23-2003, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by MixMasta
kotor, fable, and sudeki all look and sound great, lets hope they are worth the wait!

Oh I think they will be. They are all ground breaking in some way...

KOTOR: First RPG set in the Star Wars universe ever. Xbox hardware looks like its being used pretty well by the physics and graphics engine

Sudeki: FF7 type spells and summonings, but all in real-time combat and with an amazing effects and lighting engine to boot.

Fable: Ground breaking in every way. Graphics, story, genre... it should be a game that everyone will have to buy.

There are a couple of MMORPG's and online RPG's as well on their way, but thats not really going to catch my interest if I have to pay a monthly fee to pay for them. They deserve mention though:

Phantasy Star Online I and II, True Fantasy Live Online, Star Wars Galaxies.

sniperdoggy
02-23-2003, 03:54 PM
ok kotor is coming out in may now, sudeki i dont known when its exactly coming out as for fable most likely 2004!!!! maybe maybe winter 2003

MixMasta
02-23-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Dre
Oh I think they will be. They are all ground breaking in some way...

KOTOR: First RPG set in the Star Wars universe ever. Xbox hardware looks like its being used pretty well by the physics and graphics engine

Sudeki: FF7 type spells and summonings, but all in real-time combat and with an amazing effects and lighting engine to boot.

Fable: Ground breaking in every way. Graphics, story, genre... it should be a game that everyone will have to buy.

There are a couple of MMORPG's and online RPG's as well on their way, but thats not really going to catch my interest if I have to pay a monthly fee to pay for them. They deserve mention though:

Phantasy Star Online I and II, True Fantasy Live Online, Star Wars Galaxies.


what you said about sudeki is the total reason why i want it. i have never really been a fan of the turn based rpgs, but i like the story lines and graphics and overall atmostphere of the ff series. this game seems to recreate the overall atmostphere, but eliminates the turn based combat....i totally cant wait!

as for the mmorpgs, the only one im interested in is Galaxies, it looks sweet....from what ive seen of true fantasy, it looks a little kiddish, but i havent heard really anything about it, ive just seen the screens, but i will do so research on it later. does anyone know whether it will be turnbased or not?

MerimacHamwich
02-24-2003, 12:36 PM
I haveposted this countless times now. I guess countless plus one wont make me want to kill you too bad.

Here is the list of RPG games on xbox that www.xbox.com has listed.

Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance Interplay Entertainment November 2002 $49.99 Teen

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BlackStone: Magic and Steel Xicat Interactive February 2003 $49.99 Teen

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind Bethesda Softworks June 2002 $49.99 Teen

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fable Microsoft Game Studios Winter 2003 $49.99 Rating Pending

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gladius LucasArts May 2003 $49.99 Rating Pending

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Metal Dungeon Xicat Interactive November 2002 $49.99 Teen

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nightcaster II: Equinox Jaleco Entertainment December 2002 $49.99 Teen

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Phantasy Star Online Episode I and II Sega Corporation March 2003 $39.99 Teen

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psychonauts Microsoft Game Studios Winter 2003 $49.99 Rating Pending

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic LucasArts Spring 2003 $49.99 Teen

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sudeki Microsoft Game Studios Winter 2003 $49.99 Rating Pending



Those aren't all of them either.

Brevity
02-24-2003, 12:46 PM
All I have wanted to play as of late are RPG's and I can say man there are a hell of alot on PS2 and I even went back and got soem of the best PS1 RPGs. I say the XB has really let us down in this area, :rolleyes: but just go get a PS2. I just finished FFX at 60hours , befor that it was Kingdom Hearts at 55 hours . Now I am playing Xenogears and got Finnal Fantisy Tactics in just a minute ago. I also plan to get many mroe soon, like DC2, Xenosaga, FF7 and 8. And many more needless to say I will have alot to do with these. I have had KOTOR on pre order on preorder for moer than a year but by what I seen in the OXm preview I am not thinking it will be very good. I dotn want any MMO I have to pay a monthly fee for so no PSO. I think the only good RPG heading to the XB may be Fable in 2020. :rolleyes:

Edited: I forgot about Morrowind and Bulders gate I have both of those and they are ok. But I am really into turn based fighting right now. Sept for DC2 and soon ZELDA

MerimacHamwich
02-24-2003, 12:52 PM
Dude, PSO is not even a MMORPG. Sega is just ripping people off, they have no legitamite reason to charge a monthly fee for that game. They are just as bad as EA but people are blind to it for some reason. For example, the Xbox version of NHL 2K3 is the only version to not have ice reflections.

JimmieDoogan
02-24-2003, 02:01 PM
Imagine what the Japanese RPG makers could do with the XBOX!!!!!! OMG, I hope they stop slackin and get to crackin cause I'm in a serious RPG slump here. As straight forward as FF games are, they are still pretty fun. Like an interactive story book. Hope they jump on the ball and hurry up cause I bet they could really make some graphically intense games with our black and green game machine!

Dre
02-24-2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by MerimacHamwich
Dude, PSO is not even a MMORPG.

Ya, I was considering getting this game despite the monthly fee until I found out its only 4 player. On top of that, you require an XBL connection to play it, even offline. Who the hell thought of that bright idea at Sega? They should be shot, you've just reduced your potential market from 4 million to 250 000... wtf where they thinking?

MerimacHamwich
02-24-2003, 02:59 PM
I don't know, Sega has always been horrible. Leave it to them to destroy something that could be good.

JJaX
02-24-2003, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Dre
Ya, I was considering getting this game despite the monthly fee until I found out its only 4 player. On top of that, you require an XBL connection to play it, even offline. Who the hell thought of that bright idea at Sega? They should be shot, you've just reduced your potential market from 4 million to 250 000... wtf where they thinking?

250,000 X Monthly fee = $$$ in the long run

l Maximus l
02-24-2003, 04:02 PM
I've never been a fan of RPGs, so, no big deal to me. The only way I would consider looking or contemplating on buying an RPG is that it would have to be on XBox Live and have the ability to enter a world where there are tons of people playing on-line all the time...and you can jump into the action at any time.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for the stupid ass Sims or anything...I'm looking for some hardcore action...creating squads or militia groups and conquering castles via invasions, etc...that would simply be bad ass.

MerimacHamwich
02-24-2003, 04:40 PM
Welcome to the world of MMORPG's Maximus! MMORPG = Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games. That is what Galaxies is going to be like.

sniperdoggy
02-24-2003, 05:20 PM
yah i want rpg's but not mmorpgs because you have to pay 10 bucks a month to play it

l Maximus l
02-24-2003, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by sniperdoggy
yah i want rpg's but not mmorpgs because you have to pay 10 bucks a month to play it

That's what XBox Live is for...free

ShannonX
02-24-2003, 05:27 PM
rpgs are fun in a sense... but not fun enough to warrent paying additional money to play them. I want to get fable but only if its free, and i dont see any reason it wouldn't be free (except for buying it).

sniperdoggy
02-24-2003, 07:46 PM
fable is not a mmorpg

0101010
02-27-2003, 10:59 PM
I've been tempted to invest in a PS2 just to get a decent RPG game on. I've been playing the old ones for the PS1, and those pixels are hurting my eyes.

The Dreamcast had a couple of fairly decent PRG's, but I want some Square up in the house!!! Maybe when the PS2 drops another $50 I'll go get one. Till then I'll go RPGless. North American RPG's just don't do it for me.

xboxman_1
02-27-2003, 11:06 PM
That's what XBox Live is for...free

Games like PSO will still cost a monthly fee on XBL just like they do on any other console.

MerimacHamwich
02-27-2003, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by 0101010
I've been tempted to invest in a PS2 just to get a decent RPG game on. I've been playing the old ones for the PS1, and those pixels are hurting my eyes.

The Dreamcast had a couple of fairly decent PRG's, but I want some Square up in the house!!! Maybe when the PS2 drops another $50 I'll go get one. Till then I'll go RPGless. North American RPG's just don't do it for me.

So, you don't like RPG's. Contrary to popular belief FF type games stray just far enough from the RPG build that they can still be considered RPG's, just terrible ones. If you know what Dungeons and Dragons is, I suggest you rethink yuour ideas on the Final Fantasy games. If you do not know what Dungeosn and Dragons is look it up. It was the first RPG ever. It was playe with a bunch of friends, paper, pencils and dice. American/Western RPG's are truer to the sense of an RPG (being the basic rules and guidelines set out by Dungeons and Dragons) than asian games are. In fact, western RPG's are technically the only RPG's out there. Asian RPG's are more or less action platformers.

Cloud Strife
02-28-2003, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by MerimacHamwich
So, you don't like RPG's. Contrary to popular belief FF type games stray just far enough from the RPG build that they can still be considered RPG's, just terrible ones. If you know what Dungeons and Dragons is, I suggest you rethink yuour ideas on the Final Fantasy games. If you do not know what Dungeosn and Dragons is look it up. It was the first RPG ever. It was playe with a bunch of friends, paper, pencils and dice. American/Western RPG's are truer to the sense of an RPG (being the basic rules and guidelines set out by Dungeons and Dragons) than asian games are. In fact, western RPG's are technically the only RPG's out there. Asian RPG's are more or less action platformers. Western RPG games are not RPG games one bit. Games like Final Fantasy, Dragon Warrior, etc. are true RPG games and their my favorite game genre. Nothing in the world is better than playing through a Final Fantasy game or any other RPG game like it. ;)

yall
02-28-2003, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Burning Ranger
Western RPG games are not RPG games one bit. Games like Final Fantasy, Dragon Warrior, etc. are true RPG games and their my favorite game genre. Nothing in the world is better than playing through a Final Fantasy game or any other RPG game like it. ;)

Wow, I'm not usually one to totally slag someone's opinion, but Japanese RPG's are as far from RPG's as you can get while still using the term 'RPG'.

Traditionaly, a true RPG lets you play just how you want to play, ei Morrowind. In fact (I know I'm going to catch hell for this one!) GTA is more of a role playing game than is the FF series due to its open ended nature, and the fact that the side missions actually allow you to be a good charcter. Just because there are some dragons, swords, and spells, doesnt mean something is an RPG by default. There have been many RPGs like Shadowrun, Cyberpunk, Rifts, and Twilight 2000 that abanodon the traditional fantasy settings, but are still RPG's, in fact much more so than the japanese still.

Dre
02-28-2003, 03:55 PM
Man.. this debate on FF not being or being an RPG is really freaking old.

Merimac: Bla bla zzzzzzzz....bla... FF not an RPG

BR: zzzzzz Bla bla zzzzzzzz bla... FF is an RPG

Yall: Bla bla bla zzzzzzzzz

yall
02-28-2003, 04:03 PM
Dre: Mmm Mmmm Mmmmm

Thats the sound of Dre on his knees.

If you don't care to join the debate, don't bother posting.

Dre
02-28-2003, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by yall
Dre: Mmm Mmmm Mmmmm
Thats the sound of Dre on his knees.


Been speaking with your mom have you?


Originally posted by yall
If you don't care to join the debate, don't bother posting.

Oh I've joined the exact same debate in 15 other threads already... enuf already

MerimacHamwich
02-28-2003, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by yall
Wow, I'm not usually one to totally slag someone's opinion, but Japanese RPG's are as far from RPG's as you can get while still using the term 'RPG'.

Traditionaly, a true RPG lets you play just how you want to play, ei Morrowind. In fact (I know I'm going to catch hell for this one!) GTA is more of a role playing game than is the FF series due to its open ended nature, and the fact that the side missions actually allow you to be a good charcter. Just because there are some dragons, swords, and spells, doesnt mean something is an RPG by default. There have been many RPGs like Shadowrun, Cyberpunk, Rifts, and Twilight 2000 that abanodon the traditional fantasy settings, but are still RPG's, in fact much more so than the japanese still.

Exactly. Burning Ranger is such an ignorant fool.

Cloud Strife
02-28-2003, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by MerimacHamwich
Exactly. Burning Ranger is such an ignorant fool. Yeah right. I post on a Playstation site and a few other places and everyone there said Final Fantasy is the real RPG game. If you were to scroll through the RPG games on Playstation.com, you'd see that Final Fantasy, Wild Arms, Tales of Destiny, Brave Fencer Musashi, etc. are the RPG games. Squaresoft happens to make the best RPG games in the world along with Enix but now their combined. I was reading RPGamer today and there was an article stating that Enix will never support Xbox and it was brand new. Xbox can't do well in Japan without them.

I rather play RPG games like Final Fantasy than playing a bunch of FPS, sports, and several PC ports. I hate FPS shooters more than anything.

I've played Baldurs Gate DA and it ain't a RPG game.

shrew king
02-28-2003, 06:30 PM
Do not respond to Burning Ranger, ignore him and we might be lucky enough that he will leave.

Cloud Strife
02-28-2003, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by shrew king
Do not respond to Burning Ranger, ignore him and we might be lucky enough that he will leave. I won't leave.:)

However, I do really want to play some videogames right now and that's what I'm going to do.

Dre
02-28-2003, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by MerimacHamwich
Exactly. Burning Ranger is such an ignorant fool.

Ouch... harsh words to someone stating there opinion.

MerimacHamwich
02-28-2003, 07:56 PM
There is no such thing as an opinion when it comes to this discussion, there are RPG's and there are other genres. Burning Ranger has no idea what an RPG is. What he is doing is like saying, "That is not a straw, its a pencil! I went to this straw website and everyone says that is not a straw, its a pencil." Therefor he is being ignorant to a fact. Baldurs Gate follows the exact rules and guidelines set out by Dungeon's and Dragons, therefor it is an RPG. Final Fantasy type games take the basic guidelines set out by Dungeons and Dragons. They then proceed to throw some of them out and drastically change others. They only follow the absolute minimum rules. That way they can still be called an RPG.

Shadow20002
02-28-2003, 08:48 PM
Another combat between Burning Ranger and the other members (don't want to point any of you) ? Hey, just give him a break, after all, we are here just to chat, to inform, get fun, make friends, etc. Not burning or killing each other. Everyone has his own tastes about gaming. You can deny this.

jhsu
02-28-2003, 09:58 PM
Although I'm a huge fan of both adventure(Final Fantasy style games) and RPGs(Baldur's Gate, Morrowind, Neverwinter Nights), I feel I need to give my 2 cents regarding Final Fantasy. IMO, Final Fantasy(and most other Squaresoft style games) isn't really an RPG, it's an adventure. It lets you play through a story(with no real influence on how the story turns out), with pre-made characters that generally speaking come specialized in their own fields(magic, H2H combat, etc.), and will continue to improve/advance on their own(without your input). Sure the stories are good, the combat system may be flashy and exciting, but it basically amounts to you watching an interactive movie(which is basically what an adventure style game is to me). RPGs are, in my definition, more open-ended and broad. Think Morrowind, Fallout, or Neverwinter Nights(the RPG series on computer). In each one of these games, YOU, the player, gets to play the character almost any way you choose. If you want to be an armor wearing knight, you can do so. If you want to be a black-hearted thief who steals for a living, go ahead. Look at Neverwinter Nights...you can customize what your character does for a living, what he/she looks like, almost everything. In addition, your character also develops according to your own tastes. For instance, in Morrowind, any character can specialize in any skill, as long as he/she practices in that skill set. Finally, the story in an RPG is more malleable and freeform than what squaresoft games usually set up. Morrowind and Fallout allow the player to do what they want(they're even allowed to ignore the main quest, and just wander the wasteland doing side quests and living a normal life if they so choose). Neverwinter Nights is more linear, but still provides lots of more opportunities for the player to take on side quests to the main plot than squaresoft games. Hope I managed to get my point across.

jhsu
02-28-2003, 10:29 PM
also, Burning Ranger, if you get the chance to, I"d highly recommend you check out these PC games...you seem to like games with strong stories and such, and the following games are top notch(and they're also what I consider RPGs....I don't think you've ever played games like these on consoles):

Baldur's Gate Series(Baldur's Gate 1, 2, and Throne of Bhaal)

the BEST dungeons and dragons based RPG available for the PC. Decent graphics, but a deep and moving storyline and a great combat/roleplaying system.

Fallout(Fallout 1 and 2)

An awesome game that breaks out of the mold of traditional fantasy RPGs. Takes place in the post-nuclear weapon devestated world, with no magic or somesuch, just big guns and a interesting story line.

BTW: both of the above series dont' require much from a PC...as long as you've got a PC that's 2-3 years old, you should do just fine(I'd say anything over a Pentium 3 600 MHZ or an AMD Athlon 600 mhz)

0101010
02-28-2003, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by 0101010
North American RPG's just don't do it for me.

Since my comments seemed to have gotten some folks bent out of shape over the FF vs D&D type of RPGs, let me offer some insight into the matter.

I've played Morrowind (traded it in for a new game), Neverwinter Nights (still haven't finished), and the original pen and paper D&D (waaay back in the day). I do enjoy those type of games, but when you compare those to the sci-fi Square type of RPG's, I prefer the sci-fi. FF7 was my first console RPG, and since it is my "first love" of console RPG's I tend to go for that type. Beyond the Square batch of games, the Dreamcast's PSO is a good example of what is cool.

I wasn't trying to bash the D&D type, but the "open endedness" of those games no longer excites me since they take forever to play. And quite frankly, I just don't have that kind of time anymore.

So give me the flashy gaphics having, spikey hair wearing, 6 foot sword singing, quasi-linear RPG, and I'm happy.

Peace.

yall
03-01-2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by Dre






Oh I've joined the exact same debate in 15 other threads already... enuf already [/B]

Well then shut the f*** up Dre. If this thread doesn't interest you why even bother reading it? Why bother posting? Are you really that bored?

Dre
03-01-2003, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by yall
Well then shut the f*** up Dre. If this thread doesn't interest you why even bother reading it? Why bother posting? Are you really that bored?

LOL!!!! Don't get your panties in a bunch little schoolgirl. If you actually took the time to read the thread, you'll see it does interest me and I posted a couple of times before it turned into the "what is an rpg" debate again.

As for being "that bored"..nope, but you do bore me though.

yall
03-01-2003, 12:22 PM
Wow, I guess you really are that bored Dre.

Dre
03-01-2003, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by yall
Wow, I guess you really are that bored Dre.

Bah, don't underestimate yourself, on the rare occasion I've found you are interesting. I'm sure others too ;)