PDA

View Full Version : Do Not Buy Apex!

dpg50000
02-25-2003, 05:17 PM
Hi, I notice there's been a fair bit of interest in Apex, mainly due to the graphics, and the "Dream Mode" build your own car feature. One thing to say - DO NOT BUY THIS GAME!

What could have been one of the best Xbox racers to date is absolutely ruined by the A.I.

I know it's been mentioned elsewhere, but you absolutely have to play this game to appreciate how frustrating it is. If you bump the computer cars, you lose speed and they head off into the distance. Even if you hit them smack in the side on a bend, chances are they will continue going and you will lose speed. As for getting into a bumper to bumper tussle (say, when overtaking) - forget it. You will be slowed down every time and the computer car will jump ahead, even if it looked odds on you would win the tussle (driving faster, better angle etc).

Also, occasionally the computer cars will bump you from behind, you'll go out of control and they'll zoom past. If you try the same to them, the only thing that will happen is you'll be slowed down and they'll get a boost forwards.

The graphics are superb, but that's all this game is - a demo of the Xbox's graphical capabilities. Another disappointment!:( :( :(

MerimacHamwich
02-25-2003, 05:25 PM
Wow, that sucks.

LynxFX
02-25-2003, 06:20 PM
The constant bumping can be contributed to the 'lines' that the AI cars drive. It appears that there aren't many and if you are on the line, they will still try to use it and bump you out of the way.

That does suck, but the graphics are some of the best the Xbox has ever seen. Too bad I have enough car games right now that I haven't even began to get into. I'll just wait until Midtown Madness on Live.

XboxGamers
02-25-2003, 06:43 PM
Apex AI?

GT3 AI <<<<< Apex AI

You just have to be a better driver. I like the hard AI's over sleepy ones. :)

ShannonX
02-25-2003, 07:01 PM
i like games where the AI is variable. Where it can make big mistakes like a normal person could. When the computer AI is to perfect, it detracts from the enjoyment of the game.

XboxGamers
02-25-2003, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Shannon-XBA
i like games where the AI is variable. Where it can make big mistakes like a normal person could.

Yes, In Apex the AI does make big mitakes. I seen them hit the wall hard where they tip to one side. Another I seen is where the AI would spin out. They do mistakes.

CrazyCougar
02-25-2003, 07:37 PM
Apex is an absolutely awesome game. I guess it all depends on your tastes.

ShannonX
02-25-2003, 08:53 PM
i'm like this close -> <- to getting it... i'm just a little aprehensive about everybody talking about it freezing.

Mega Gamer
02-25-2003, 09:09 PM
Darn i was really hoping to get this game.

Evil_Dr_Beefy
02-25-2003, 10:28 PM
Mmm...i heard that the AI is a bit spotty in Apex. Dudes, i am a car racing nut. I am still planing on picking it up this weekend....if the AI is really bad..i will just take it back. Hopefully they will fix it in part 2:D

canadianboi3
02-25-2003, 11:51 PM
Is it in most Blockbusters?? I'm going to check this weekend for it. Hopefully they got it. I wanna see the thing where you make your own car. Sounds interesting.

Casper
02-26-2003, 06:30 AM
Originally posted by XboxGamers
Apex AI?

GT3 AI <<<<< Apex AI

You just have to be a better driver. I like the hard AI's over sleepy ones. :)

True, but I've also had one weird thing happen to me last night. I was overtaking 2nd, coming in on first, and I went to bump the 2nd place car a little bit and next thing you know I went right through the dam car :confused: :cunfused: That was the first time in ANY racing game that I've gone through a car like that

Kortiz
02-26-2003, 08:38 AM
i went through the car in Nascar 2. when i would practice and go backwards on the track and demolish Jeff Gordon and then try and ram him some more...i would end up stuck in the middle of his car and have to squeeze out as if i was being born out of the side of Jeff Gordons car. it was messed up.

Woocifer
02-26-2003, 01:03 PM
Hey I dont know what the big stink is about this game... it doesnt have the great physics of something like Project Gotham, but I've found I've put in at least 20 hours since getting it on the day it was released here in Canada.

Yes you lose speed when you bump and it is frustrating...however you catch up to the cars pretty quickly. The one time it is aggrivating is when you bump someone near the finish line...thats how it goes.

Anyways pushing towards getting the next cool car body and seeing your little garage grow is a cool feature that kept me going back for more races. You do notice the growth because of the size of your garage and the characters in it...a little more interaction would have been good but all in all this game is entertaining.

I personally am not too worried about the bumping because I have finished in the top 3 of almost every race I've driven and if not in the top 3 I am first for the most part and my car is getting sales because of it.

Pretty fun... at least rent it and give it a good couple hours. Once you crack into getting your first car and car upgrade you'll dig it.

ShannonX
02-26-2003, 02:25 PM
i think i'll go ahead and buy it.. what the hell, i can add it to my collection.

edit: well, looks like it will be awhile, all the stores in my area are sold out of apex, the only place i haven't checked yet is walmart... wonder if they have it

02-26-2003, 07:44 PM
I think it simply takes some skill to win at this game. It's not always easy to get around the other cars without them trying to bump you that's how the A.I. challenges you. Learn how to take the curves, and you will be a winner.

Professor Kaos
03-08-2003, 05:17 PM
I liked the demo, and am going to buy this as soon as I buy a few other things.