PDA

View Full Version : [NEW] Ghost Recon: Island Thunder Expansion for XBL

Hitman101
02-25-2003, 08:52 PM
Well here's another reason to keep the old GR disc.

Ghost Recon: Island Thunder

February 25, 2003 - Ubi Soft is bringing more online assault action with the announcement of a new Ghost Recon campaign disk to be released this summer. The cleverly named Island Thunder campaign disk will feature an eight level solo campaign, new gameplay types and 12 new multiplayer maps for the Xbox, four of which will be determined by you, the IGN audience.
"Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon is one of our most popular games on Xbox Live and has everyone going wild!" said David Hufford, Xbox marketing manager. "With Xbox Live, gamers can download content like new characters, levels and maps, injecting new energy into gameplay, and keeping games like this fresh and engaging."

While it's described as a campaign disk, this next Ghost Recon episode will be a standalone product and will not require gamers to have a copy of the original Ghost Recon for Xbox. The game will be compatible with Xbox Live's online gameplay and will feature downloadable content once it arrives in the fall of 2003. The new gameplay types could prove to be the most intriguing enhancement for the Ghost Recon franchise since Ubi Soft is promising at least 12 different game modes for the campaign disk as compared to the handful currently available for Ghost Recon. While a price for Island Thunder hasn't been announced, Ubi Soft suggests that gamers in North America won't have to drop a full $50 for the semi-new title.

"The Clancy brand owes its incredible popularity to gamers who want an intense and realistic gameplay experience," said Tony Kee, Ubi Soft's vice president of marketing. "With this new campaign disk, Ubi Soft Entertainment can give back to Ghost Recon fans, providing them with more of their favorite Ghost action without the price tag of a whole new game."

The campaign disk comes with a short solo campaign that takes place in Cuba (the island in the Island Thunder expansion pack) but the intent of the new disc is to expand Ghost Recon's online gameplay with the eight new maps and new styles of play. IGN readers have the opportunity to choose what the remaining four maps will be by selecting their favorite level from the original Ghost Recon. The top vote-getters will be included in the campaign disk and will be made available for online play.

IGN will have more on the Ghost Recon campaign disk in the coming weeks as well as any news about Ubi Soft's upcoming tactical shooter Rainbow Six: Raven Shield. Be sure to cast your vote for your favorite GR map that you want to see in the Island Thunder campaign disk and check back later this week when we announced the results.

Looks like I be holding my copy of GR a bit longer.:cool:

hiter101
02-25-2003, 09:19 PM
i might as wait for this and not get GR now for 50 bux :rolleyes:

Kraft
02-25-2003, 09:21 PM
Well, if xbox expansion disks work anything like PC expansion disks, you will have to have the original disk to use the other one. Of course then your original disk is pointless and you usually just end up giving it to someone.

xboxman_1
02-25-2003, 09:29 PM
They said somewhere that it will be a stand-alone disc so you wont need to original.

Kraft
02-25-2003, 09:33 PM
got a link to clarify it? Stand Alone doesn't mean you aren't going to need another disk. If you didn't need the original disk to play all the new levels plus the old ones, who would buy the old disk? They'd be shooting themselves in the foot.

VenoM
02-25-2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by hiter101

why??...its gonna be different :confused: dont have to pay 50 either...buy the game used

xboxman_1
02-25-2003, 09:49 PM
got a link to clarify it?

Why yes, yes I do..Knock yourself out (http://www.gamespydaily.com/news/fullstory.asp?id=4763)

"...twelve multiplayer maps for Xbox Live play, including four maps from the original Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon. The full retail version of Ghost Recon for the Xbox will not be required to play. Ghost Recon: Island Thunder will be Xbox Live ..."

Kraft
02-25-2003, 10:06 PM
I see now, thanks for the link. Is it me or does this seem like not much of an expansion pack, but another different game based off the first one? The fact that you will be able to download certain levels from the first game kinda negates the word 'expansion'...

canadianboi3
02-25-2003, 10:09 PM
If I rent it, will it expand my normal Ghost Recon do you think?

hiter101
02-25-2003, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by canadianboi3
If I rent it, will it expand my normal Ghost Recon do you think?

nope its not an expansion pack its a stand alone game :)

CharlieHustle
02-25-2003, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by hiter101

For what??? Do you know what youre missing now??? You dont have a clue. This game is the most fun online game that i played in a while. So its safe to say that you never played the redsquare mission where you are dependant on your buddy to watch your back while you load the tank buster? Or Any firefights missions where enemies are firing at you from all directions and you can only rely on your fellow soldiers. If i was you I would spend the 50 bones on this one even though there are many places that sells this for bout 39 dollars now. This is the most played online game that i have, mind you i bought this game the day before LIVE was released, and i do have Mech assault(which i just bought last week), and nba 2k3. The importance of teamwork in this game makes games like PSO obsloete. Im not really biased towards this game, but i would say about 75 percent of my buddy list were with people playin this game.

canadianboi3
02-25-2003, 11:49 PM
I sure hope that they don't charge normal game price. Probably not, becuase all expansions are usually cheap. FINGERS ARE CROSSED.

Snake Eyez
02-25-2003, 11:53 PM
Check the weekly sales thread. I think GR is on sale for $39 new somewhere.

JJaX
02-26-2003, 09:07 AM
Thats cool news...

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon™ : Island Thunder™

Cuba, 2009: Castro is dead, and the first free Cuban elections in decades are thrown into turmoil by a drug-funded warlord. The Ghosts, an elite team of U.S. Army Green Berets, are sent to Cuba as part of a UN peacekeeping force to destroy the rebel forces and their mercenary leaders and secure the elections for a free Cuba.

Features:

8 new single player missions in an all-new campaign set across the island of Cuba.

5 new dedicated multiplayer maps.

12 new multiplayer weapons including the M4 SOCOM rifle and the MM-1 automatic grenade launcher.

2 new multiplayer game types.

New Cuban enemy vehicles, new allied vehicles, and insertions by helicopter

I hope we get the desert siege expansion as well.

Viper87227
02-26-2003, 02:13 PM
I wonder if Island Thunder will include Desert Seige

DZNUTZ
02-26-2003, 02:56 PM
the rest of you guys can call this island thunder or whateva u want...the DirtyDozen will just call it another game we'll dominate in :cool:

Hitman101
02-26-2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by DZNUTZ
the rest of you guys can call this island thunder or whateva u want...the DirtyDozen will just call it another game we'll dominate in :cool:

I'll be lookin for ya when I get it DZNUTZ !!:cool: