PDA

View Full Version : Is Halo Worth It?

Ninja Scroll
11-29-2001, 02:29 PM
Hey guyz,
Im not a fan of FPS or anything of the nature of the gerne. But after seeing all the critics give this game their highest accolades it started getting my attention,
but when I got my new EGM in the mail and seen them give this titles a perfect 10, 10, 10 I was blown away:eek:

I want to know if this is the FPS to make a person change his perspective of this gerne:confused:confused:

darianX
11-29-2001, 02:46 PM
Halo is a good game, no doubt about that. All platforms need to have more games like this with a fun storyline to follow alongside the action. But some people have said it is "revolutionary". I can't agree with that seeing that Half Life did it first with the immersive storyline and gameplay. Halo is a direct decendant of HL but not a clone. It has it's own qualities that are admirable.

As for becoming a fan of FPS games, its all a matter of your own game tastes. I've always enjoyed FP games since Doom because they put you right into the action. Then when HL, Deus Ex, No One Lives Forever and now Halo came around, it was just pure gaming bliss. I could imagine that a game of the caliber of Halo could convert someone like yourself. The only thing I can suggest is to try it.

TRIGGAH
11-29-2001, 03:01 PM
Yeah I know what you mean, for me after Doom and Quake I never cared too much for FPS. That all changed the day I popped Halo in my XBOX. I never even heard of all the hype, I never thought I would buy an XBOX until the day I saw it.
Personally I think Halo is THE BEST FPS of all time, possibly the greatest console game of all time. No exaggeration or Xbox fanboying here. Straight up this game IS SICK. I don't know what captivates you and gets you glued but it works. The only minor complaint I have in regards to this game is some levels are a little too repetitive. But that's it. Everything from the graphics, the controls the storyline and the sounds is flawless.
I give it a 10.
Hopefully future XBOX games will be just as good.

MaxPain
11-29-2001, 03:03 PM
I'm also not a really big fan of FPS's. I only dislike them because you can only see teh gun. I liked to see the whole person like in Duke Nukem :D . Although this game I don't care, I plan on buying it :D

l Maximus l
11-29-2001, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by MaxPain
I'm also not a really big fan of FPS's. I only dislike them because you can only see teh gun. I liked to see the whole person like in Duke Nukem :D . Although this game I don't care, I plan on buying it :D

Dude, buy it. If you don't, you will never know what you could be missing. Now, go buy me some beer :D

VAN
11-29-2001, 03:18 PM
Ninja, not only did I not care for FPS games in the past...I despised them. I could never understand the fascination with games such as Doom, Quake, Duke Nukem, Half Life, etc. I played the original Doom on the pc one time, and it was then that I decided FP shooters weren't for me.

Fast forward a good decade to the launch of the Xbox. I had already read about the hotly anticipated game "Halo", and had already made up my mind NOT to purchase it--just because it was a FPS. I figured my money was better spent on other titles.

Long story boring, I went ahead and bought Halo at launch. Why? I have no idea, to be honest. I had absolutely no desire to play the game, in fact on the drive home I was kicking myself for wasting 50 bucks on a game that I knew I would never play.

After hooking up my new xbox (12:25am November 15th) I proceeded to place Halo in the disc tray. Anticipating it to be the worst game of the 5 that I purchased, I wanted to get it out of the way so I could play Munch's Odyssey or PGR.

I'm rambling again, **** it.

Anyways, it was 4:00am before I stopped playing Halo that first night. I would have played longer, but I had to be to work in 2 hours. The games story sucked me in, and the games visuals kept my jaw constantly agape. I was blown away. Is this what I had been missing all these years? I dunno if previous FPS were as enveloping as Halo, but I can honestly say tha I am now a fan of the first person shooter genre.

Halo is fantastic. I give it the VANSealâ„¢ of approval. :)

Ninja Scroll
11-30-2001, 11:04 AM
thx!~ Van, the other replies got in my favor of consideration for the title. But seeing as we feel exactly the same about FPS you singal handedly convinced me (well, with EGM's perfect score as well) to drop 50 beans on this game;)

You had better be right about this title. If it's a revolutionary as everyone is saying im sure I will be pleased.

One question for anyone!

Can you change to 3rd person view at all during game play:confused:

I hate first person view:mad:

thx!

SACK
11-30-2001, 11:24 AM
As I am a VERY avid PC FP Shooter player I am very accustomed to the freedom of control a Mouse and Keyboard combo provide. I think Halo would ROCK if there were some sort of mouse addon for the xbox. I just feel hindered trying to aim with the same precision I get with a mouse using these controllers. The graphics and story sucked me in and yes I too played it for Hours on end but I quickly get ****ed off at the clunky controls. It works but I am quickly back to Counterstrike or Quake 3 on the PC.

Xbox seriously needs a FPS controller: My idea would be instead of two analog sticks have one analog for your left thumb and a trackball or something similar for the right thumb.

Are there any other FPS players coming from the PC having the same frustration?

Cool!

VAN
11-30-2001, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Ninja Scroll

One question for anyone!

Can you change to 3rd person view at all during game play:confused:

I hate first person view:mad:

thx!

The game switches automatically to 3rd person when you take command of any of the games 3 land vehicles or 1 airship. 95% of the game wll be played in first person mode, afterall, it <i>is</i> a first person shooter. :)

Remember my post. I absolutely hated FPS games before Halo. After you acclaimate yourself to the unique control scheme (be prepared to get frustrated, as the controls do take a bit of time to adjust to) you wont even think of the fact that you are playing a game in first person mode. You'll be too deeply enveloped in the game to be concerned with that. :)

Be sure to let us know what you think after you buy the game.

SACK
11-30-2001, 11:31 AM
No offense van but if you played half-life single player you would see why so many people gave it such kudos. Halo is just as engrossing but not MORE by any means. Yes it is pretty but there are *buts* that go along with it. It sure would have been nice to actually have some control over the soldiers in the game. I hated the silent cartographer because you had that whole group of guys just standing around on the beach after the invasion doing NOTHING. That was kinda lame. The invasion after jumping off the dropship did ROCK though. Don't get me wrong I am not bashing halo, but a LOT of things are missing that would have been there had it been a PC release and not Console release. I kind of wish it came out for the PC ... THEN the xbox. Bummer. Still I love the game and find myself playing it for hours. :)

terrapin
11-30-2001, 11:32 AM
**** it Ninga and Van. I think you guys are convincing me to purchase this game. Like you guys I am not a fan of the FPS genre. I tried *gasp* Timesplitters on the PS2 and hated it (it's the only FPS I've been exposed to. Only played it for about 10 minutes and couldn't stand it.

Can anyone who's tried Timesplitters comment on these two games. Thanks.

l Maximus l
11-30-2001, 11:34 AM
I agree...I was very frusterated with the controls at first...but, after about 20-30 minutes of it, I found the controls to be utterly brilliant! The right analog stick and it's use for directional movement is amazing...much better than using the "yellow buttons" on an N64 controller!! lol

Halo sets a huge benchmark for First Person Shooters. This game made me become a FPS gamer again :) I have always *liked* FPS games, but, this one I absolutely *love*!! Great game...I can't wait to try this on co-op mode with a buddy while in LAN play :D I have only played Halo with split screens and I still love the game...I can't wait until I get to use the entire screen! It's not all that bad since I have a 36" Toshiba S-Video TV to have split screens...but, I will be much better :D I will boot my friend over to my 27" Sharpe - basic TV :D

SACK
11-30-2001, 11:35 AM
Terrapin,

My suggestion would be to buy the game at Electronics Boutique they have a no question asked return policy for 10 days after purchase. Give it a try, you'll love it, you'll definately feel like part of some big plot! It draws you in.

SACK

SACK
11-30-2001, 11:38 AM
Hey Maximus!

Would you believe that is what I am naming my baby boy!?>!?! LOL

Other than that I play HALO on a 55" HDTV 16:9 and let me tell you, if you can afford it OMG OMG OMG!!!!

Get the HDTV AV Pack!

l Maximus l
11-30-2001, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by SACK
Hey Maximus!

Would you believe that is what I am naming my baby boy!?>!?! LOL

Other than that I play HALO on a 55" HDTV 16:9 and let me tell you, if you can afford it OMG OMG OMG!!!!

Get the HDTV AV Pack!

LOL, Sack...cool, dude! I knew I was cool, but, wow! Thanks, pal :D jk....I don't mean to urinate on your cornflakes...but, I actually named my Jack Russel Terrier "Maximus" because I seriously love the movie "Gladiator" :D "Maximus!!!" That name just sounds like someone you wouldn't want to mess with! lol...I like it, too :)

SACK
11-30-2001, 02:11 PM
My mom says it is a POWER name! One to respect. I loved that movie too it's #1 on my list, knocking Terminator down to #2 LOL.

l Maximus l
11-30-2001, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by SACK
My mom says it is a POWER name! One to respect. I loved that movie too it's #1 on my list, knocking Terminator down to #2 LOL.

Exactly! It is a power name...that's where the irony comes in...My Jack Russell Terrier named "Maximus" is a small/medium dog and is a little wimp! Man, I thought that by naming him Maximus that he would have been some tough dude...but, atleast he sounds tough :D

SACK
11-30-2001, 02:16 PM
Well my buddy named his cat "Zergy" after the Zerg in Starcraft and that cat is a "fatty" catty. Total lamo lump of lard.

MaxPain
11-30-2001, 02:27 PM
lamo lump of lard? HaHaHaHa how long it take you to think of that one :D LoL

Ninja Scroll
11-30-2001, 02:38 PM
HEY YO!

Guys thanks for the feedback on this Halo/FPS conflict I am having;)

Maximus, i'll get back with you on how I feel about this game being im not a FPS fan!

I'll scoop it up on December 14th (my next pay period!:D ) and let you know.

One thing though guys, why does Micosoft try to fool us gamers in it's Halo commercial by showing him in 3rd person view the "whole" commmercial:confused: :confused:

Later my fellow X addicts!

Ninja Scroll
11-30-2001, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by MaxPain
lamo lump of lard? HaHaHaHa how long it take you to think of that one :D LoL

LMAO!!!!!!!!! how corny:p

l Maximus l
11-30-2001, 02:44 PM
[i] One thing though guys, why does Micosoft try to fool us gamers in it's Halo commercial by showing him in 3rd person view the "whole" commmercial:confused: :confused:

Later my fellow X addicts! [/B]

Now, that's a great point. Two potential reasons spring to my mind.

1. So they can show off the entire look of the actual character
2. So a big fat gun isn't showing and stir up a bunch of liberal anti-gun idiots...lol

Ninja Scroll
11-30-2001, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Maximus

Now, that's a great point. Two potential reasons spring to my mind.

1. So they can show off the entire look of the actual character
2. So a big fat gun isn't showing and stir up a bunch of liberal anti-gun idiots...lol

perfect answer Maxi,... I mean Maximus ( had a Soul Calibur DC flashback:p ) I totally agree!

I'll be back on the forum later on fellas, im about to get off of work!:D
how about that, writing forum on da job!:D :p

MaxPain
11-30-2001, 03:02 PM
Hey Ninja Scroll. sorry I didn't catch what you were laughing about in that quote?? I think we've covered that the joke was corny didn't we? :D

Ninja Scroll
11-30-2001, 10:14 PM
The joke may have been well over before I stepped in, but i made sure I got my 2 grape fruits worth of a thought in!!

terrapin
12-05-2001, 08:57 AM
Update: I bought Halo on Saturday and now

<singing>
I was gonna clean my room until I got Halo
I gonna get up and find the broom but then I got Halo
I was gonna go to work but then I played Halo.
- cause I got halo [repeat 3X]
</singing>

Seriously, Halo is defenitely worth it.

Ninja Scroll
12-05-2001, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by terrapin
Update: I bought Halo on Saturday and now

<singing>
I was gonna clean my room until I got Halo
I gonna get up and find the broom but then I got Halo
I was gonna go to work but then I played Halo.
- cause I got halo [repeat 3X]
</singing>

Seriously, Halo is defenitely worth it.

Thanks terrapin,
Being that I am not a FPS fan of the gerne I will give this title a shot. Thank to all you guys in the forum and to EGM's perfect scores I will pick Halo up on December 14th (my next pay day :) )
Hey, would you say HALO is the best FPS ever?

l Maximus l
12-05-2001, 11:08 AM

Thanks terrapin,
Being that I am not a FPS fan of the gerne I will give this title a shot. Thank to all you guys in the forum and to EGM's perfect scores I will pick Halo up on December 14th (my next pay day :) )
Hey, would you say HALO is the best FPS eve?

I have played several FPS games...Halo anniliates them all. :)

Ninja Scroll
12-05-2001, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Maximus

I have played several FPS games...Halo anniliates them all. :)

Maximus, what up dog? Seriously, you played all the FPS? Like Half-Life, and the PC joints too?
why is Halo the best ever? I wanna know the reasons. Not just someone saying it's the greatest of all-times.
You feel what im saying?

l Maximus l
12-05-2001, 11:25 AM

Maximus, what up dog? Seriously, you played all the FPS? Like Half-Life, and the PC joints too?
why is Halo the best ever? I wanna know the reasons. Not just someone saying it's the greatest of all-times.
I feel what i mean?

lol, Ninja...you have to read my replies very closely. I didn't claim to play "all" FPS's...I simply claimed that I have played many FPS games and that Halo kicks the crap out of any FPS that I have played personally.

Here is what I really like about Halo. First off, the gameplay is ingenious...I remember that it took a little bit to get used to, but, after you do, you will find that it is utterly brilliant. The left joystick moves you forward and backwards...left and right will allow you to straif (sp? - meaning, to side step left and right). The right joystick allows you to look up, down, and all around. D a m n, I should be a poet.

Also, keep in mind that the joysticks are also buttons. Simply press the top of the joystick down - the left one to duck and crawl and the right joystick to zoom in using your scope depending on what weapon you have.

Now, enough about the controls...the graphics are beatiful. The movement of the characters is extremely fluid and natural looking. The Co-op play is great! I can't wait to try out the System Link and hook two XBoxes together to have full screen co-op play versus split screen.

In Halo, grass looks like grass (almost good enough to smoke :D jk). The detail on the walls is crazy. If you like to see some gore, you will will in Halo. I also like the fact that the enemies get more difficult as you proceed through the game. In addition, I also enjoy the fact that once you enter into a vehicle like the Warthog, Tank, Ghost flyer, or any other machine, you move into 3rd person play. Marines and/or the co-op player can also join you in persuit on a vehicle or simply drive their own at the same time.

The variety of the levels are great. The story line is great. It's truly a must see and a must buy as describing this game does no justice after getting behind the controller. Halo sets a new standard and benchmark for FPSs. In my opinion, all the hype surrounding this game never lived up to the game! lol...not kidding! The game is remarkable.

Ninja Scroll
12-05-2001, 11:58 AM
well i'll be dargone rootin toootin!
you my friend should be writing reviews for the game magazines kid!
seriously doe, thanks for the time consuming review on Halo. I appreciate it dog.
Now, if only my next payday would hurry the hell up!

XboxAddict04
12-05-2001, 06:05 PM
one question..... Whats first person shooter? were ur looking through there eyes? what about 2nd and 3rd person?

Thanx

Xboxaddict 04

Ninja Scroll
12-05-2001, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by XboxAddict04
one question..... Whats first person shooter? were ur looking through there eyes? what about 2nd and 3rd person?

Thanx

Xboxaddict 04

Well xboxAddict04, to answer your question the best I can.
First Person Shooter (FPS) is a game gerne, but the view is in first person meaning you see through the characters eyes. basically you can't see yourself at all. It's like your TV is the game. That's first person view.

Third Person View is when your behind your characters back. For instints. It's like Metal Gear Solid, Tomb Raider type of view.

what's 2nd person views?!
beats me, can anyone help on that one?

Terraflux
12-05-2001, 07:51 PM
This game had better be good, moma-bif just forked out fifty bones for it. I have savaged open the case and lushified the book and game preiviews but I can't unleash my jiggy XBox untill Christmas morning.:mad:

Ninja Scroll
12-06-2001, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Terraflux
This game had better be good, moma-bif just forked out fifty bones for it. I have savaged open the case and lushified the book and game preiviews but I can't unleash my jiggy XBox untill Christmas morning.:mad:

Momma bif is a hoe off of 14th street!:p

lolololololol!!!!!!!!!;)

Terraflux
12-06-2001, 04:27 PM
Well I suppose she does get around....... HEY MIND JO BUISNASS!

Ninja Scroll
12-06-2001, 06:18 PM
Well I suppose she does get around....... HEY MIND JO BUISNASS!

HEY YO!

Terraflux, enough about Big Mama Bif. lol!
So you wont be able to play Halo until Santa climbs down your ghetto roach infected microwave oven? lmao!

man, you got almost a good 3 weeks to wait! What ya gonna do until then kid?

Dream of xbox heaven?

Terraflux
12-06-2001, 07:43 PM
Well my dad is picking up my xbox on Sunday and I think I may be able to bust it out before XMAS, but even if I can't Im still willing to wait for it. I sit here staring at Halo thinking about what It will be like (The last console I owned was an N64). I used to play Online Half-Life, man was that game fun, I love FPshooters, the only one I did'nt like was Red Faction (PUKE).

Ninja Scroll
12-07-2001, 04:55 PM
Well my dad is picking up my xbox on Sunday and I think I may be able to bust it out before XMAS, but even if I can't Im still willing to wait for it. I sit here staring at Halo thinking about what It will be like (The last console I owned was an N64). I used to play Online Half-Life, man was that game fun, I love FPshooters, the only one I did'nt like was Red Faction (PUKE).

N64 was your last system owned?!:eek:

D@amn yo, you missed da bizzus big time!

Why such a gap in games systems?

P.S. how's Big Moma Bif? lol