PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft and EA out to uby SEGA?

SIVEL
02-28-2003, 10:41 AM
Microsoft, EA mull Sega bids

Report: Companies seek boost in Japan; no deal imminent

TOKYO, Feb. 28 — Microsoft Corp. and Electronic Arts Inc. are separately exploring the possibility of buying all or part of Japanese videogame maker Sega Corp, the Asian Wall Street Journal reported Friday.

THE PAPER, quoting people familiar with the situation, said the two U.S. companies have yet to hold formal talks with Sega and that no deal was imminent.
The news sparked a buying spree in Sega shares, boosting the stock price by 13.91 percent to 729 yen by early Friday.
Sega said earlier this month that it would merge with pinball-style ‘pachinko’ game machine maker Sammy Corp., abandoning plans to restructure on its own and turning to financially sound Sammy for help.
The paper said either U.S. company could emerge as Sega’s White Knight, pulling the company away from a merger plan that appears rife with difficulties and internal opposition.
(MSNBC is a Microsoft-NBC joint venture)
Microsoft has asked at least one U.S. investment bank to investigate ways it could buy all or part of Sega, while EA in recent weeks has approached Japanese game makers about launching a joint bid for Sega, the paper said.
Acquiring Sega could give Microsoft a strong boost in Japan, where a dearth of Xbox games that appeal to Japanese consumers has left a vast stock of unsold consoles.
A deal could also give EA a boost in Japan and remove a competitor, the paper said.
Sega, which reduced its 2002/03 net profit forecast by 90 percent early this month, is expected to announce, as early as on Friday, a reorganization of its U.S. operations that will shed 20 percent of its work force of 450, the paper also said, quoting people familiar with the plan.
Advertisement. The cuts are part of a global restructuring that could lead to additional layoffs around the world, the paper said.
Sega was not immediately available for comment.
A spokesman for Microsoft’s Japanese subsidiary declined to comment on the report, but said that U.S. company chairman Bill Gates, who visited Tokyo earlier this week, had not met with Sega representatives.

This article can be found on msnbc.com just hope Microsoft buys them because EA blows big balls!

SIVEL
02-28-2003, 10:43 AM
Do i keep up on the news better that the folks at XBA? ;) Ill take a job :)

RudedogX
02-28-2003, 10:49 AM
Well, this is posted already on the DDC earlier. Here's hoping as you said that MS picks them up. Sega would be a huge contributer to MS, and we all know how much EA blows after that 1942 fiasco!:(

SkoalMint
02-28-2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by SIVEL
Do i keep up on the news better that the folks at XBA? ;) Ill take a job :)

Actually, this was posted last night on the front page of this very site. Link (http://www.xboxaddict.com/main.php#Microsoft, EA Bid for Sega)

You might want to look for a new career choice. :p

:)

Cloud Strife
02-28-2003, 11:34 AM
I really just want Sega to stay how they are. I like it how they put games the suit different systems. I want the Sammy and Sega deal to stick because I like both companies very much and having them together would be fantastic. I won't believe the news until it's confirmed though.

I do like EA but I don't want them to purchase Sega.

CrazyCougar
02-28-2003, 11:38 AM
The Sega/Sammy deal would be the demise of Sega as we know it. Sega has a much better chance of surviving with EA or Microsoft. Unfortunately I think anyway you look at it, Sega will get watered down no matter who buys them. Sega has never been able to manage finances and needs some help badly.

shrew king
02-28-2003, 05:35 PM
That would be a huge deal for Microsoft, hopefully Microsoft will buy SEGA.

Cloud Strife
02-28-2003, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by shrew king
That would be a huge deal for Microsoft, hopefully Microsoft will buy SEGA. Wouldn't make a difference because Sega isn't nearly as big as Squaresoft and Enix in Japan.

The Sega and Sammy deal was mainly talking about the arcade business. Those two companies merged would still mean console games.

I like Sega just the way they are except I want Sakura Taisen Wars to be released in the U.S. badly.;)

xboxman_1
02-28-2003, 05:45 PM
Wouldn't make a difference because Sega isn't nearly as big as Squaresoft and Enix in Japan.

What does that have to do with the price of beans?? No one said Sega was as big as Square in Japan.

LynxFX
02-28-2003, 06:15 PM
I'm rooting for Microsoft to aquire SEGA as well. I swear to gad if EA snatches them up I will have my hands full with the amount of people that I am going to have to biatch slap down at E3. :mad:

Snoopy7548
02-28-2003, 06:24 PM
can i come to e3?

Evil_Dr_Beefy
02-28-2003, 06:45 PM
like i said before..japanese pride would rather see sega go bankrupt than sell to an outsider...it looks like someone, is just blowing smoke.....but something has to happen soon

Kraft
03-01-2003, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Burning Ranger
Wouldn't make a difference because Sega isn't nearly as big as Squaresoft and Enix in Japan.

One: square and enix are a totally different type of gaming company than sega, as any 'hardcore' gamer would know :rolleyes: Two: regardless of that fact it would still make a huge difference if EA aquired them as you could pretty much label everything Sega would make as 'crap' without even having to look at it. The 2k3 series was the only thing that kept me from writing nasty letters after playing the EA 2003 line of sports games, and I have the feeling it is going to be the same deal next year as well. If worse comes to worse I will donate money to MS to help them buy Sega before EA gets it.

Kortiz
03-01-2003, 01:24 PM

The Sega and Sammy deal was mainly talking about the arcade business. Those two companies merged would still mean console games.

I like Sega just the way they are except I want Sakura Taisen Wars to be released in the U.S. badly.;)

i say lets take what we can get. there is no way in hell we are getting anything sony has their hands on. so fudge that....why the hell not get Sega FOOOL!

oh and....have enix and square ever put out a game console?

ill give you square making a movie.........but that was the biggest flop in movies to ever be made.

Cloud Strife
03-01-2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by ChickenSHHHH
i say lets take what we can get. there is no way in hell we are getting anything sony has their hands on. so fudge that....why the hell not get Sega FOOOL!

oh and....have enix and square ever put out a game console?

ill give you square making a movie.........but that was the biggest flop in movies to ever be made. Squaresoft and Enix games sell the best in Japan, plus their my favorite developers although SCEA is my favorite publisher.

I thought the Final Fantasy movie was great. I like anything Final Fantasy anyway. I don't want Sega to be exclusive because I like buying their games on different platforms like JSRF for Xbox, Shinobi for PS2, and Super Monkey Ball for GC. That's the way I like it. Anyway, the only stake in Sega that's for sale is CSK, Sega's parent company. CSK only owns 22% of Sega so they would still not be exclusive completely to Microsoft or EA.

I wouldn't care if EA bought them out because EA is a great publisher. They know how to make money and they would improve Sega significantly.

But, I still don't think any of this will hapopen.

Kraft
03-01-2003, 02:35 PM
CSK only owns 22% of Sega so they would still not be exclusive completely to Microsoft or EA.
Unless MS bought 51% or more of the stock, as the majority always rules.

I don't want Sega to be exclusive because I like buying their games on different platforms like JSRF for Xbox, Shinobi for PS2, and Super Monkey Ball for GC.
As odd as it may sound, not everyone has the money to buy all 3 consoles or does not wish to devote so much money just to play games from one company. When rare was exclusive to Nintendo I was happy as could be as I knew I could play any Rare game without dishing out money for a new console. That was nice.

I wouldn't care if EA bought them out because EA is a great publisher. They know how to make money and they would improve Sega significantly.
EA is a great publisher for PS2 but they have the nasty habit of shafting all of the other consoles. I would rather see Sega stay independent before I see them get bought out by EA. Sega makes great games. If EA buys them we can kiss good Sega games goodbye with regards to XBox.

But, I still don't think any of this will hapopen.
Yes, and MS probably won't buy Rare... oh wait...

Discretion
03-01-2003, 02:44 PM
I am agreeing with Kraft. Sony of course IMO has EA in their hands and EA shafts GCN and XBOX. I am a big Sega game fan now and I want MS to get them if anyone. EA Sports and any EA company makes games so crappy and we would get shafted with no XBL. If we did get XBL, say bye bye to no fees

ARONO129
03-01-2003, 10:24 PM
EA Sports has already messed up their NHL and NBA series. I would hate for them to swallow up the competition as well. M$ buying the company would be a better option but Sega staying the way they are is the best option IMO.

xboxman_1
03-01-2003, 11:26 PM

Are you trying to tell me that Microsoft doesnt know how to make money?

unit01
03-02-2003, 01:24 AM
Well if EA buys Sega you can bet they will kill off Sega's sports franchise. Sega was the only real company that seemed to give EA fits in the sports department, not to mention they would strip Sega of the originality that we love so much.

Stormlord
03-02-2003, 01:36 AM
like i said before..japanese pride would rather see sega go bankrupt than sell to an outsider...it looks like someone, is just blowing smoke.....but something has to happen soon

SEGA isn't Japanese. I forgot what SEGA stands for but those aren't Japanese words. SEGA is a company started by Americans but established in Japan. So the selling of the company is very likely to happen. :cool:

Evil_Dr_Beefy
03-05-2003, 10:19 AM
Okay so the company was started by an americans and they were bought out or forced out by the japanese. I think in the eyes of the japanese. Most of the daily running and important deals of the company are from the japanese offices..There for in the minds of the japanese they are a japanese company.

LynxFX
03-05-2003, 12:25 PM

Well going by their current money situation and negative returns I don't see them making any major purchases right now.

Sure Microsoft is losing money too (in one department) but they budgeted for that and are still in a very good position to purchase SEGA.