PDA

View Full Version : HDTV Xbox Support

Shagster
11-29-2001, 04:27 PM
I have a 68" 1080i HDTV 16:9 and I have been looking at getting an Xbox, based alot on the fact that I have such good hardware waiting to be utilized. However, there are still a few things about Xbox's HDTV support that I am unclear. I am aware that I must purchase the High Def pack before utilizing the xbox's capability. I need to know these things.

1) Does the Xbox support all the way to 1080i at 16:9?
2) Does the system automatically convert the game to the high resolutions, or do the game developers have to program it in before it is available for use.
3) Anyone who has an HDTV setup, how does it look and feel?

My main question lies in if I can play the games that are out now at 1080i if i buy an xbox today, or if I have to wait to take full advantage of the technology.

Thanks,
Shag

Jason1010
11-29-2001, 04:41 PM
1) yup, sure does!
2) i think they have to program it in but im also pretty sure that almost (if not all) the games for xbox support hdtv output.
3) it looks much more colorful and vibrant. play doa3 for instance on your hdtv for hours and then go play on a regular tv... u'll notice the picture seems darker and less colorful. for 20 bucks, the high definition pack is a good buy...

oh, i just read the ending of your post... the answer to that is no u dont have to wait at all... like i said i think all of the games that are out and that ever do come out support it... or if they dont... i haven't noticed yet :)

p.s. i have a 55'' 16:9 hdtv with 1080i/480p so i am telling u this from my own experience... its the truth :)

Shagster
11-29-2001, 06:13 PM
Thanks for all the information. But one last question.
Does Halo support 16:9 1080i?

Shag

adamw19
11-29-2001, 06:28 PM
Whoops i thougt you were talking about just the xbox not halo... i'm not sure if it does or not.

Jason1010
11-29-2001, 07:22 PM
yup... sure does!!! :D i play it on that tv alot :D

as i said, i dont know of any games that dont support every feature of the xbox... with the exeption of internet play :)

Tla536
11-30-2001, 02:55 PM
I have a 55" HDTV and am using the HD adapter and for $20.00 is was the best money ever spent. I can not believe the difference it make when playing Off Road. The detail is incredible and the background is just as 3D as it gets. I have been playing dead or alive and well you just can not believe it until you see it on HDTV I just bought Halo the 3D is very good (as I just started and trying to get use to the controller) and it reminds me of Doom and Heretic. My only compliant is that the cables are to short and the connectors or not of high HDTV standards. This is why and probably the main reason I bought the Xbox is that it supports HDTV. I don’t know about your TV, but when my game starts it tells me what the resolution is, and mine are all playing in 480i. I do believe that the game has to be made to support the 1080i. If you have a 55” or 65” HDTV you will not be sitting 5 or 6 feet from the set. I will have to but a set of long cables 15 – 20 feet both audio and video.

SACK
11-30-2001, 04:42 PM
I have a 55" Samsung Tantus HDTV set. When I try DOA3 in any mode other than normal it wigs out. ALL my other games work fine in the other resolutions, NHL Hitz, Amped and Halo! I'm stumped.

Help!!!!

Go figure my favorite game for the xbox is the one that wont work.

LynxFX
11-30-2001, 05:26 PM
Need to clear some stuff up.

NO, Halo does not support 16x9 or 1080i. It is a 4:3 release only and like every Xbox game it does support 480p.

What you ask? But it shows up in widescreen on my tv? It must be 16x9.

That is because your tv has the option to stretch 4:3 material and fill the entire screen. All you have to do in Halo is look at the menu screen and you will see the circles behind the Halo logo and they will no longer be perfect circles but squished ovals. Doing this also will squish your characters (not much) but there will be alot more jaggies showing up in the game. Just be aware of that. You might not notice and still like it played in a stretched 16x9.

Also No game right now supports 1080i or 720p. :( All we get now is 480p which still looks great and quite a few games do support true 16x9 anamorphic. Amped and DOA3 are two that I own that support it.

Hopefully we will have some 1080i which should also support 720p (which should look better than 1080i) soon. Then we will see what the Xbox really can do.

Hugh_Jass
11-30-2001, 06:34 PM
I won't just stretch the image to fill a 16x9 screen. It also crops and top and bottom of the picture.

Haine
12-01-2001, 07:28 AM
Well,they way i understand the only title right now for 16:9 is madden 2002.But i have e-mailed several people to get to the bottom and find out for sure.Cause if you read your manual to your doa3,First page under table of contents.Tells everything it supports but now widescreen...