PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with loading&Freezing

gcgalt
03-02-2003, 10:22 PM
I was wondering if anyone can suggest a solution to this problem. My Xbox seems to be getting worse by the day when loading games. I constantly get "Check the disc may be dirty or damaged" error message while the game tries to load or sometimes it just freezes up when it's idle for a while and gives me the same error. I have called Xbox and they claim there is no problem. The Xbox is 1st generation shortly after the launch.

Anyone with info?

Master Gracey
03-03-2003, 06:54 AM
I think the problem is the drive itself... the drives that were in the original release boxes were horrible. Even though MS would never admit it, they all but admitted it when they started to replace those drives last year with ones that are supposed to be much better.

The Xbox we have was one of those first shipped (it was preordered) and the drive in it is terrible. Just in the last week, I've found 3 DVDs that skipped in the Xbox, but worked just fine in the 6 other DVD players in the house... 2 of these DVDs were brand new, right out of the shrinkwrap.

Simply, the problem lies in the strength of the laser. CDs are, by nature, loaded with errors. Information is stored in microscopic bumps in the foil... even the tiniest speck of dust on a disc can cause a laser not to be able to get to the information contained in one of these bumps, and must interpolate the missing info by reading the previous and future bumps. However, most lasers are strong enough to get through dust and surface scratches to read the info underneath... the drives in the original Xboxes weren't that strong. This causes the drive to get confused and think that no disc is present or the wrong type of disc is present, and, in the worst case scenario, complete read failure (which is what skipping DVDs and Xbox crashes are).

Call MS back and ask about the deal they have to upgrade to one of the new drives... they had that deal a few months ago, but I don't know about now.

Highlite23
03-03-2003, 07:28 PM
gcgalt, how long have you had your system and have you ever cleaned your lens??

I had the same problem a little while ago, cleaning the lens with a dual brush disc solved the problem completly.

If MS can replace the drive without a huge cost, go that route as sugested by Master Gracey.

Dual Brush lens cleaner has one wet brush and one dry, available at Suncoast for $20.

Good Luck:)

gcgalt
03-04-2003, 03:18 AM
The system is one of the originals and yes I have tried the lens cleaner. And this is still happening with games fresh out of the shrink wrap.

Reclaimer
03-04-2003, 05:26 AM
I have one of the launch xboxes and I have only had a few problems. Of course on OXM disc wouldn't read, at one point Halo gave me the DDE, and the strangest one yet: One of my game saves on Gunmetal got screwed up. I loaded my save and the game displayed a message that said: This saved profile is damaged. Please select another. That was totally strange. But that's it. All this time in service and I've only had those few errors.. Sorry to hear about your problems, it would certainly anger me if I experienced those myself. Master Gracy is right on (as usual) with his answer. You should really call MS about it. This was a big problem with the first series, and I think, if I remembered correctly, they had a solution. Good luck.

Insane Jester
03-04-2003, 06:08 AM
yes ive also had myne since day one in the u.k anyway and ive only ever had dde once from a rented game. it may seem abit much to most of u or even all of you but i clean and cheack my dvd's b4 i put them in the box and upto this day ive had no trouble with it at all . no need for a lens cleaner and no dodgy loads. keep them clean people keep them clean .

darianX
03-04-2003, 09:30 AM
It should go back for servicing...mainly replace the dvd drive. Your problems sound exactly like the ones I was having before the drive was replaced. It's a little odd that they gave you crap when you called. The guy I spoke with couldn't have been more pleasant and apologetic. But your drive does need replaced, no question there.